Running Bear's Coffee Shop L

Had a few extra pennies (cents) left, so....in my quest to know more, to learn more about the Milwaukee Road, I bought this..

The Montana Railroad alias The Jawbone.jpg

Oopsie!! My bad. $19.90 was the total. $9.95 was the shipping.
Still high, but the guy emailed back me saying he would be happy to just send me the stuff and then bill me for the actual shipping cost - which he agreed shouldn't be more than a couple bucks.

Now that's some great service in my book!!!
By the way Garry, he said to "also tell your friend thanks for sending you [me] my way."

New email arrived. Shipment goes out tomorrow morning.
He'll invoice me after he knows the ship amount.

Truly great service!!
That's refreshing to see these days.
E.

Eric ... Some thoughts on using weathering poweders. I have seen some models where too much of the stuff is smeared onto models making them look badly. So, use it very sparingly. You can always add a little more if you like later. Also, I brush it on using vertical strokes because that is how rain streaks look. You may be able to find some you tube demonstrations with a little searching on the internet which would be helpful. ... Practice on a scrap surface to get the feel for it before doing it on a good model. If you have some junk railcars in the scrap box, practice on them. .... Finally, the stuff is very messy, and it will make your work area very dirty quickly if you are not careful. ...... Glad you had good customer service. Actually, I have not purchased directly from them, but I probably will do so next time.

Had a few extra pennies (cents) left, so....in my quest to know more, to learn more about the Milwaukee Road, I bought this..

View attachment 50362

That is a great book for anyone interested in the Milwaukee Road. Shortly after the Milwaukee Road ceased operations, I took a horseback trip, 5 days across this part of the railroad. Beautiful country. I love some of the pictures taken in the winter. What we could drive now in a matter of hours could take up to a week back then. Hope you enjoy it. This part of the old Milwaukee Road is fairly close to me.

77 degrees and sunny. Almost had to turn on the A/C on the way home.

Evening All,

Had Nachos for supper. Today I tested, soldered, and hooked up power leads to the siding. After I finished that I realized that all the installation work is now complete. The numerous jobs left to do are all scenery related. I also decided that I won't do anything else on the lake until everything else is complete in that area. I have cat tails, lily pads and ducks to put on the lake and I don't want to ruin those while working on scenery. I apologize for the crappy photo, but this is how I plan on putting the industries on the siding.

Thank you to everyone that has complimented me on my work.

Terry- Very cool. What is Popular Mechanics interviewing you for?

Patrick- I feel your pain.

Milw113- Awesome sign. I have asked my kids for a different type sign from the same seller for Fathers Day.

20150604_151054_zpsgvlcny6j.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening All,

..."Today I tested, soldered, and hooked up power leads to the siding. After I finished that I realized that all the installation work is now complete. The numerous jobs left to do are all scenery related. I also decided that I won't do anything else on the lake until everything else is complete in that area. I have cat tails, lily pads and ducks to put on the lake and I don't want to ruin those while working on scenery. I apologize for the crappy photo, but this is how I plan on putting the industries on the siding."..

Curt:

It took a minute or so to register, but that's Walthers Champion packing with the cattle pens, right? It looks great where it's placed. I like the Neon PRR sign, reminds me of a PRR Livestock terminal in Philadelphia, along the Schuylkill. I was planning to use a similar sign on top of the Walthers Water Street Freight House, but never got around to it. Maybe on the new version. Your layout scenery looks real good.

Hey guys! 58*F with light rain in the Free State, same as it was this morning.

Mil - are you sure you've got enough reference material on the Milwaukee Road?:p

Curt - Your slaughterhouse looks great, and brings back memories: There was an E.L. Moore article in the August 1966 RMC about scratchbuilding the Spratt & Keen Meat Packing Company. I thought it was so cool looking that I decided to buy the magazine instead of whatever other [non-mrr] item I had planned to buy, and thus started my lifelong interest in scale model railroading.

Eric - Garry has given you some excellent tips on weathering, especially about practicing on "junk" models before attempting to do your higher-valued ones. I might add, it's good to have some photographs of weathered cars of the type you plan to do, so you can see the exact patterns formed by the rust and grunge - from things like water seeping down the sides of the car, and splatter marks on the ends from where the wheels have picked up rainwater from the rails and splashed it on.

For some modelers, weathering is almost like a separate sub-culture of model railroading - where guys might not have a layout, but spend hour after hour bringing their models to perfection. I was once a member on such a forum called modeltrainsweathered.com. [Sadly, they don't exist anymore.] I spent ~4 weeks' worth of evenings trying to replicate an ex-Chessie CSXT PS-2 cement hopper from a set of online photos. That experience taught me that I'd rather spend my time improving my layout than trying to impress a few hard-core weathering worshippers. Here's a photo of the model:

PS2_Chessie_model_topdown_angle_01_640x480.jpg

Gotta get myself to bed now, 5:30am comes way too early!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I'm only looking to dirty up the sand bin for my sanding facility. No rolling stock. No engines - yet.

That is a great book for anyone interested in the Milwaukee Road. Shortly after the Milwaukee Road ceased operations, I took a horseback trip, 5 days across this part of the railroad. Beautiful country. I love some of the pictures taken in the winter. What we could drive now in a matter of hours could take up to a week back then. Hope you enjoy it. This part of the old Milwaukee Road is fairly close to me.

77 degrees and sunny. Almost had to turn on the A/C on the way home.

All thanks to your recommendation kiddo... ;):D

Evening All,

Had Nachos for supper. Today I tested, soldered, and hooked up power leads to the siding. After I finished that I realized that all the installation work is now complete. The numerous jobs left to do are all scenery related. I also decided that I won't do anything else on the lake until everything else is complete in that area. I have cat tails, lily pads and ducks to put on the lake and I don't want to ruin those while working on scenery. I apologize for the crappy photo, but this is how I plan on putting the industries on the siding.

Thank you to everyone that has complimented me on my work.

Terry- Very cool. What is Popular Mechanics interviewing you for?

Patrick- I feel your pain.

Milw113- Awesome sign. I have asked my kids for a different type sign from the same seller for Fathers Day.

20150604_151054_zpsgvlcny6j.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Excellent! I wonder for what railroad that sign might be.... :confused:;):D

Hey guys! 58*F with light rain in the Free State, same as it was this morning.

Mil - are you sure you've got enough reference material on the Milwaukee Road?:p

Curt - Your slaughterhouse looks great, and brings back memories: There was an E.L. Moore article in the August 1966 RMC about scratchbuilding the Spratt & Keen Meat Packing Company. I thought it was so cool looking that I decided to buy the magazine instead of whatever other [non-mrr] item I had planned to buy, and thus started my lifelong interest in scale model railroading.

Eric - Garry has given you some excellent tips on weathering, especially about practicing on "junk" models before attempting to do your higher-valued ones. I might add, it's good to have some photographs of weathered cars of the type you plan to do, so you can see the exact patterns formed by the rust and grunge - from things like water seeping down the sides of the car, and splatter marks on the ends from where the wheels have picked up rainwater from the rails and splashed it on.

For some modelers, weathering is almost like a separate sub-culture of model railroading - where guys might not have a layout, but spend hour after hour bringing their models to perfection. I was once a member on such a forum called modeltrainsweathered.com. [Sadly, they don't exist anymore.] I spent ~4 weeks' worth of evenings trying to replicate an ex-Chessie CSXT PS-2 cement hopper from a set of online photos. That experience taught me that I'd rather spend my time improving my layout than trying to impress a few hard-core weathering worshippers. Here's a photo of the model:

PS2_Chessie_model_topdown_angle_01_640x480.jpg

Gotta get myself to bed now, 5:30am comes way too early!

Can never get enough reference material on the Milwaukee Road my good man...!
That is one beautifully weathered car, outstanding work there!

Can't find the ding-dang camera! That engine is an oldie, looks kinda like the F7-A Diesel that came with a Bachman set I got awhile back but the styling is smoother like a Flash Gordon spaceship. Will have to use my sisters cellphone to take a pic. It has sat for 2 years and sure as shootin it will be gone when I finally get my s#!t together and get down there with a camera.

Good morning all. Looks like it will be another great day up here in the Rockies. Starting odd qt 51 degrees.

Ken - Nice work on the hopper. Looking good

Curt - Another great picture. Do you have any overall pictures of your layout? Sure would like to see more of your empire. Always looking forward to seeing your pictures and Garrys.

Good morning. Happy Friday. 55° and wet in Central Jersey.

Weathering is very subjective. From memory,most freight cars were no where near as cruddy looking as a lot of weathered models. most were just flat and dirty. My best weathering efforts were when my goal was to just take the "shine" off of the model.

Ken: Nice covered hopper. The link to the prototype shows the car really gets around.

Good morning. Happy Friday. 55° and wet in Central Jersey.

Weathering is very subjective. From memory,most freight cars were no where near as cruddy looking as a lot of weathered models. most were just flat and dirty. My best weathering efforts were when my goal was to just take the "shine" off of the model.

Ken: Nice covered hopper. The link to the prototype shows the car really gets around.

I'm with you. There are some cars that really look rusted and really crummy, but I just like to show a bit of dust, and being that I model the transition era, I try to show just a bit of soot running down the sides of the car from the roof.

IMAG0265.jpg

Curt ... The layout photo looks great.
Ken ... The CSX covered hopper looks terrific. Must have been challenging getting under the ends behind the ladders and structural steel pieces.
Chet... The weathering of the LVR boxcar looks very good.

I just weathered 11 ore cars in the past few days, and now all of my ore cars are weathered.

Steel mill equipment can be very dirty as well as ore cars.

In the first photo, you can see a grubby patched switcher shoving ore cars to the high line behind the blast furnace. The two ore cars closest to the switcher were among the 11 ore cars I just weathered. Also, there is much activity in the background.

ore%20cars%202_zps8rwzhupd.jpg

In the second photo are some ore cars in front of the blast furnace. The three NP ore cars were among the eleven I just weathered.

ore%20cars%203_zps8jdybj8p.jpg

Agree with all of the above.
First time I have seen the Baldwin, GARRY. It's a keeper .. Beautiful work on dirtying it up and nice weathering on the ore cars too.

There are so many talented modeling people on this site that it just boggles my mind. All of you not only build great models, but you have the ability to make them fit into the scene so realistic.

Back