Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

Hey everyone, Spend a few days designing my brewery which will be over the helix. As you can see, it will be a huge industry, measuring 8' by 8' by 9' (triangle). My intention is to have the tracks fix on plywood and the building on 2" Styrofoam so that it can be removable. I would like to have some comments on possible operation problems, on logistics, on the design or anything for the matter. Also, what would I need as scenery for the private switcher (EMD SW9)

Breweryy2.jpg

Thank you all

Last edited:
Wow that is going to be great Lloyd!
I don't know what the incoming track is like before the plant but I might look at adding a track to run by the switches.
This would allow a loco to bring cars in then run around them to escape.
A building this size will need lots of rooftop details, here's a pic of someone else's work that I use as a reference for my mill.

image.jpeg

Boy, Am I impressed! Most layouts are not that large.

Kudos to you on both the planning and the build.

Nice looking plan. I assume that you're you going to scratch build the plant around the tracks you have down. Should be an interesting project.

Thanks everyone,

Rico - Would you have a bigger picture and also more roof top pictures like this?

Chet - None of those tracks are done yet, but I do intend to build the tracks first and then build the building in four sections on a bench work and assemble them on the layout when all done.

Redid the plant so that I would have a straight line into the building for better uncoupling and added a parallel track for better operations.

View attachment 58205

Last edited by a moderator:
Lloyd , first off , a beautiful layout !! It would make sense to me to have a couple of spurs for storage , either empty boxes or hoppers. As it looks to me now each track is an active track . I don't see a place for car storage once a car is unloaded and in certain cases , full cars depending on what they are carrying . The industry is large enough that I would think you almost have to treat it as a small switching yard . The run around will help to give you some switching opportunities but you cant have that little SW-9 loafing all day .

Thanks Jim,

I should of posted the revised plan, here you go
As you can see, I now have a storage track and the tracks are more straight for the uncoupling

Breweryy.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I've taken a break from the framework and did a bit of everything. I'm still working on my refinery and here you can see that I've added lights to all the chimneys.

1588532030981.png

I've also did a half load of lumber for my center-beam flat car, now I just have 3 more half's to do. They are all separate loads because they're different lengths.

1588532054296.png

I've also worked on preparing the side of the lake so I can start working on the lake.

1588532073655.png

I needed some sort of shed to store wood for the JAG company and since I had bought the Walton & Sons Lumber and have no more use for it because I now have a paper mill industry in it's place and because I have no more room for it. So I kit bashed it smaller.

1588532514923.png

Here's what it looks like at JAG Outside Wood Furniture.

1588532531118.png

For the next few days/week, it will still be the same, a bit of everything and I should have 2 "How to" videos out

Later

Nice photos Lloyd. You're making some nice progress. The close up photos are great. Nice details. The scenery along the lake is really looking good too. Waiting for updates.

Wow.. just wow! Great thread that is super informative! Keep up the great work!!!! I look forward to the updates!

Threads like this are super motivating! Thanks!

Wow.. just wow! Great thread that is super informative! Keep up the great work!!!! I look forward to the updates!

Threads like this are super motivating! Thanks!

Thanks YankeeDave, much appreciated
I try to be informative so to help everybody in this hobby.
I spend so many hours searching the net for info, pictures, videos, etc.
If I can't find any, well I might just create the info.

Thanks again

Thanks Dave,

I just finished part of my refinery, here are 3 pictures of it.
I'm so glad that part of the refinery is done. It was the toughest kit that I've done so far.

I still have to do some touch ups, a bit of weathering and waiting for some flashing red, yellow and orange light to come in and install in the furnace.

1588532578056.png

1588532619061.png

1588532638166.png

Back