Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

You have something there to be very proud of Lloyd , really nice work . When time permits for you , I would like to hear/see what techniques you used for your rusting.

Great work Lloyd. You're making amazing progress. I like the way that you fit things together.
A small note regarding oil and propane tanks that I have observed here in Texas and Louisiana. While oil tanks sometimes have a small amount of rust stains on them, propane tanks always seem to be pristine, sometimes a bit dirty but never rusty. I am in no way being critical and I think that you have done a great job, it's just my observation. Things may be different up north.

Willie

Thank you all

Willie, you are right, most tanks are always well taken care of and painted on a regular basis. But I'm from the great white north, where there's lots of snow and since it's early spring at that location of the layout, a bit of rust showed up and it's on the workers list to give it a fresh coat of paint in the summer.... but since it's always early spring on this part of the layout, I guess it will never get done....LOL

Jim, I'm just learning how to do the rust spots, hope to get better at it. I use the "Track Painter Rusty Nail" from Woodland Scenic. I make a small dab on an area and then use a dry paint brush, position it on the dab of paint and stroke downwards once, therefore creating a streak. Some use diluted rust colored paint, some use powder mixed with a thinner. I went the lazy way. Once all done, I use PanPastel to weather the spots with a pinkish white and then light gray for the rest. Hope this helps.

Already a month from my last update, I guess I'm due.

Not to much as been done in the last month as I didn't touch the layout before going on vacation, then I was on vacation for 2 weeks and when I got back, I didn't know where to start, but I did get one good week of work.

First, here's a picture of our vacation in Mexico

1588533595679.png

Now here's what I've been up to in the last week. I finally hooked up the yard to the rest of the layout.

1588533607202.png

I decided on having a gorge with two trestle bridge to be build later, once I find all the necessary plans and info to build it.

1588533622118.png

The storage tracks for the coop is also completed.

1588533639896.png

In this picture, the top track splits once the train as gone over the bridge. The main line is in the middle and the top track is the feeder for the future brewery. The bottom track is the second main line. At the bottom, it will be the machine shop.

1588533658229.png

In this picture, one of the main line splits for the tunnel towards Montreal (staging area).

1588533671649.png

What's coming next?

- I need to work on the base of the brewery so that I can do the track work.
- Finally moving my wife's office upstairs.
- Start on the last phase of the layout.
- More buildings to start working on.
- Track wiring, LED strip wiring and more wiring.
- Start installing tortoises.

This should take me till December 2017.....lol.... just kidding
Later

Last edited by a moderator:
Lloyd hope you had a great time in Mexico, where were you at?

As for the gorge I've been in this situation on a previous layout and either the double track mainline has to be close enough to each other to be on a double track bridge or you need two separate bridges or trestles. Keep in mind you will need to deal with the banks and their steepness. Personally I can see the rear trAck elevated a bit and on a bridge over a waterfalls and the closest being on another separate bridge or trestle over the river from the waterfall flowing under it.

Lloyd hope you had a great time in Mexico, where were you at?

As for the gorge I've been in this situation on a previous layout and either the double track mainline has to be close enough to each other to be on a double track bridge or you need two separate bridges or trestles. Keep in mind you will need to deal with the banks and their steepness. Personally I can see the rear trAck elevated a bit and on a bridge over a waterfalls and the closest being on another separate bridge or trestle over the river from the waterfall flowing under it.

Thanks Lynn,
I was in Nuevo Vallarta at a resort from Vidanta (our timesharing)

As for the bridges, you got it spot on. The track in the back is a bit more elevated than he front one and will be close to the falls. The front one will just be over the river. They are about 10" apart, so enough room for the trestles.

Been a while since my last video update, well here it is.

Update #5

[video=youtube;uxpltyZ1f_U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxpltyZ1f_U[/video]

Any comments or questions, don't be shy...lol

Just watched that on FB this morning! Fabulous! Plus I watched a couple more of yours there as well. Great Stuff.

Lloyd thank you very much for posting this, i really enjoyed the video tour / progress, excellent work!

Back