Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

Lloyd, very nice and super tidy work!!! This photos are a great inspiration for my next permanent layout.

Apologies if what i ask was mentioned earlier, but the vertical posts that go from the floor all the way up to supporting the valance, what are their dimensions (width - depth). Is it pine?

Very nice work again and thanks for posting it.

Thanks Yannis, Yes they are pine and they are 1 x 4 (3/4 x 3 1/2 finished)

Lloyd - Nice progress on the layout. I can't believe that you only started 9 or 10 months ago. For me, benchwork, wiring, track and ballast go rather quickly; scenery takes me forever!

Willie

Thanks Willie, you're right, scenery takes forever. The details in scenery is what makes everything stand out. As for the benchwork and track, I still have about 45% to do, ballast 100% wiring 95% and of course 95% scenery...........GEE, no wonder I have another 9 years to go (suppose to be a 10 year project)

Hawke,

Better off doing what you are doing mate, slow and steady (so to speak) rather than trying to fit into a pre determined time frame. Once the track work and wiring is in, and running nicely, the scenery, ballasting and anything else can be done as the motivation for it comes. The one thing I did learn was trying to rush things just to have trains running doesn't always work :)

Lots of work was done in the last 2 weeks. Both frame work and track work were the major items.

The track work in the Hawkesbury yard is 85% completed. The rest will be done later, but first I'll need to finish the entire staging area, which is barely started.

1588531341117.png

The second peninsula is now finish, it will hold the ore mining company on the right side and a paper mill on the other.

1588531366282.png

1588531380842.png

Along the wall is the entrance to the helix which will be a tunnel, on the edge is the two main lines. In the back is the machine shop. The track in the middle is still not done, this track will be rising to reach my brewery plant.

1588531845691.png

The valance as been completed for the entire section of the 40' x 15'.

1588531867603.png

I've been so anxious to put out my rolling stock, so here are a few pictures for you to enjoy.

1588531434928.png

1588531901404.png

What I would like to do in the next 2 weeks is connect the tracks from the left wall to the rest of the layout. (see the third picture). But first I need to decide if I want to build a gorge with a trestle bridge which is not part of the plan. If so, I'll need to redo part of my framework.

I will then take a break from frame work and tracks and install my RGB LED under the valance. This should be another week or two, which will take us to September.

Later

PS. Also been working on 2 videos, now if I could only finish them.................

Last edited by a moderator:
Really coming along nice LLoyd !!! I would put my vote in for a trestle bridge as long as it would fit in with whatever scenic treatment you have planned for that area . The valance came out nice , cant wait to see a pic with it all painted and lit up .

Hey everyone,

October is just around the corner and I should be starting with my new layout soon.
I'm still finishing my basement, still about 1-2 weeks of work.
For now, here's an almost final design.

View attachment 52544

Since I'm not very electrically knowledge, I need help.
I have a NCE Pro 5 system and with the size of my layout, I know I should have power districts.
Could someone draw me where I should have my districts and is the system good enough for the size of the layout or do I need a booster?
Also, for the districts, what do I need and how should it be wired?
Do I need district circuit breakers?

I just want to make sure I don't forget anything and if I did, please let me know what I need
Thanks

I will be following along with this thread, as I will certainly be using some of the knowledge shared in this as I will be needing lots of advice on this

Really coming along nice LLoyd !!! I would put my vote in for a trestle bridge as long as it would fit in with whatever scenic treatment you have planned for that area . The valance came out nice , cant wait to see a pic with it all painted and lit up .

Thanks Jim, the trestle would fit the scenery, the only problem is having to redo some framework, probably redo part of the layout plan to make it look appealing to the eye, but I'm really leaning towards it.

Outstanding progress my friend. I love the way it's all coming together. You'll be running laps in no time.

Thanks Rick, hope the laps will be before the end of the year

I will be following along with this thread, as I will certainly be using some of the knowledge shared in this as I will be needing lots of advice on this

Thanks Scott, Once I get to the NCE stuff, I'll be posting my finds

Hawke,
Just saw your plan and hell, it is going to be an Empire and a half, not to mention impressive!

Thanks Tony, It's not a club, but hope to have 4-5 people over for operations one day, if not, well I'm going to have lots of operating sessions by myself as it will probably take a full week or two of running trains to get the cars to it's industries. (about 15 industries)

Amazing progress Lloyd. Makes me wonder whether you have a real life also? Just kidding of course, I don't know how much time you spend each day on your layout. In my own world, I probably could spend 8-9 hours a day on the layout, but then it would be just like having a job again. Unpaid! LOL

Willie

Thanks Willie,

Yes I do have a real job. I'm self employed and semi retired.
When I do work on the layout, it's by spurts. I might work 1-2 hours every 2 days and all of a sudden work 5-6 hours for 3 days, but then take a 3 day rest...lol
What keeps me going is that I'll work on different things, tracks, building, electricity, research, weathering, all in the same week.

Wow looking great Lloyd!
You mentioned a paper mill, my favorite industry!
Still watching...

You should totally keep this as a "Winter" scene. I LOVE that covered bridge!

Sorry KB02, but the winter scene is further up so that I can include my village. This section will be late autumn with trees without leafs

Hey everyone, here's my latest update.
I explain the in's and out's of my layout, update on the progress and what I'll be working on in the next few weeks.
Hope you enjoy, subscribe and comment.
Thanks

Last edited:
You sure have a lot going on there Lloyd. Really enjoyed the video and insight into the layout. I will be waiting for more updated. Quite the project.

Thank You both,
Yes I do have lots going on. When I go to bed, I start thinking of everything I have to do and how I will be doing it and then the next day when I go to the basement, I look at what as to be done and I don't know where to start. I should make a list the day before of things to do ........ Ahhhh that's what I'll do.

It can get a bit overwhelming. I know the feeling well. You lay down to try to go to sleep and ideas keep you tossing and more ideas can come up. I'm glad that I finally have all of my track and a lot of the scenery completed, but there is always something else to do. Updating older parts of the layout, adding smaller details, and on and on.

You seem to have a plan well thought out, but things can always change. The additional space in the basement gives you a lot more space for expansion also. I have one question, where does the helix go to?

You seem to have a plan well thought out, but things can always change. The additional space in the basement gives you a lot more space for expansion also. I have one question, where does the helix go to?

Hey chet, sorry but there's no more additional space available. It's just that I'm not finish yet with the construction. The office space you see is already in the layout. As for the helix, there's 2 entrances that lead to the staging area under the section that isn't build yet. Here's 2 pictures that better explains it.

modifications1.jpg

Last edited:

Back