Search results

1. A

2'x8' shelf layout in the works

Recently I have been trying to get back to building a model railroad on a 2'x8' piece of plywood. The idea was to build a portable, functional switching layout with wood I had available, and complete the whole project for under $400. The attached plans are what I have so far. Drawn in XTrakCAD...
  2. A

Modern grain mill

I was planning to make a small diorama, which features a peanut mill as the central feature. The main building will be the Pikestuff Milton corporation, but I am trying to decide how I can build the structure that loads covered hopper cars. I was going to use the Walther's surge bin from their...
  3. A

Next Layout Plans

This plan has been in the works for about a month now.. I think I have settled on a final plan. I drew some details such as roads and buildings.. I want to use this project to test the CVT turnouts and tie strips. The mainline is Code 70, the siding is Code 55 and the spurs are going to be...
  4. A

Wiring Directional Headlights

I am working on one of my Athearn RTR GP40-2's, and was hoping to add headlights. I am going to add a nose light, as in most photos I have seen, the nose light is used and not the headlight. Anyways, right now I have a DC layout, but will be switching to DCC soon. My question is, can I wire...
  5. A

Railroad Crossings

I have been planning ahead a bit, and was wondering who makes the best crossing gates/flashers? I had my eye on the Details West set, it looks like the type found at most crossings without gates (I model the 70's era, should fit right in..). I haven't seen any real photos of the DW kit, other...
  6. A

Handlaid Track

In planning my next layout, I found that I am only going to have about 30' of mainline, and various lengths of sidings and such.. I figured it was time to try handlaying track. Not sure if it is true handlaying, but I came across the CVT tie strips which come in mainline or branchline sizes...
  7. A

Railroad Office Buildings

I attached two photos of what I believe are offices built by the SCL railroad.. The location is obvious on one of them, the other is Enterprise, Ala. I think these would make great modeling subjects, since full sized depots are large and difficult to scratchbuild. Now if I could only find...
  8. A

Benchwork to Accomodate Underpass?

I recently put the final touches on my layout plan, but need a way to make a highway underpass with the rail above, then come back to a level area with the railroad. I will be using a drywall joint compound that I found in the garage for my roads.. I also attached the trackplan since the...
  9. A

Photo Backdrops?

Has anyone tried this? I took a digital picture of a country road yesterday, and would like to try using it as my backdrop (printed at Kinkos or something). If I could use photoshop to get a patchwork of digital photos together, could I print and blend a convincing looking backdrop? I am making...
  10. A

What is this?

I am in need of some more loco help, this time I am modeling a straight GP40, road specific, ex-CSX/B&O. However, there is some odd hoop shaped screen on the top of the locomotive, any ideas as to what it might be, and to where I can get one for my model? Also notice that the separate fan over...
  11. A

Grades and Wyes

While designing my "dream" layout for the basement, I hit a couple snags as far as design goes, and need some advice. First of all, there are multiple wyes that will be required on my layout, what should the minimum radius be? I would like them to be as small as possible without looking...
  12. A

Modeling Geeps?

I was planning on making some GP7/8/9/10/11's for my newest layout, but can't find any suitable kits that wouldn't require extensive scratchbuilding. For the GP10's, GP11's, and GP8's, I have been looking at the Kaslo kits, but they are about $75 a piece. I tried Athearn for their GP7/9 but the...
  13. A

Seaboard Coast Line in LA

After numerous trips to and from the drawing board, I have established the base design for my "dream" layout. The focus is on the 1967-1975 era in LA (Lower Alabama). The focal point of the layout is the hub of the region, Dothan, which hosts a sizable yard and a plethora of shortlines and Class...
  14. A

Another One Bites the Dust!

The big orange blob gets another "famous" railroad of the Southeast: the Georgia Southwestern. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/081001/ny36060.html?.v=1 A trademark of the GSWR was its Central of Georgia paint scheme on its locomotives. Being the "flagship" locomotives of their fleet, they will be...
  15. A

Shortline Videos

Using my unfair advantage of living next to a shortline, I made these videos when I heard them coming... Granted, the neighbors were having some tree stumps removed, so you can definately here that in the background. I do not have a tripod, so as you can image I got creative.. Duct tape and a...
  16. A

New SHLR Railroad

After far too long from the world of model railroading, I have decided to make a comeback in the form of a new freelance railroad. It will be called the Sand Hills Railroad (SHLR), a shortline with scenery based on the South Carolina Sand Hills (go figure) and the Wiregrass Region of Southwest...

Back