Modeling Geeps?

AL1

Shortliner
I was planning on making some GP7/8/9/10/11's for my newest layout, but can't find any suitable kits that wouldn't require extensive scratchbuilding. For the GP10's, GP11's, and GP8's, I have been looking at the Kaslo kits, but they are about $75 a piece. I tried Athearn for their GP7/9 but the shell looked abnormally wide.

The GP9's I am modeling will be of C&O and Espee origins, but painted for shortlines.

Thanks in advance

Walthers makes a GP9 low nose. It's poor quality on the drive and detail is lacking but for $40 bucks it would be a good start.

If you know where Kaslo kits are for $75 let me know. I paid $110US on my last one.

Walthers makes a GP9 low nose. It's poor quality on the drive and detail is lacking but for $40 bucks it would be a good start.

If you know where Kaslo kits are for $75 let me know. I paid $110US on my last one.

I purchased the GP8 shell on eBay for $75 + $10 for shipping.

The Walthers GP9 is the same as the Athearn, wide body. Proto 2000 GP7/9's are still available.

Front Range aka Trains Unlimited

They are out of production, but can still be found at shows and swap meets. The drive system is up to you. The frames accept an Athearn drive, or you can do what I did. Athearn trucks, Jaybee wheels and A-Line can motors with flywheels and DCC decoders.
Here's 2 that show what you can do.
WMGP9-35.jpg

GP-9 Western Maryland style, 1 piece windsheild, or

gp9200.jpg

Maryland Midland style, a more modern approach to chop nosing.

Or you can use the Proto units. A little bit more money, but IMHO, a better shell and drive to start with. I've got 3 of the Proto 9's packed away, someday to replace the 3 Midland 9's.

Thanks for the advice, I have heard of Front Range before, but never have seen any of their products.

Back