Railroad Crossings

AL1

Shortliner
I have been planning ahead a bit, and was wondering who makes the best crossing gates/flashers? I had my eye on the Details West set, it looks like the type found at most crossings without gates (I model the 70's era, should fit right in..). I haven't seen any real photos of the DW kit, other than the drawing they have in the Walthers book.. The Tomar and NJ models look alright I suppose, but I am not the one to sink that much $$$ on a single crossing :eek:

What does everyone else use?

Here's a crossing gate from NJ International. We have two of them operated by Tortoise machines. Mechanically it was a bit of a pain, but one of the guys figured out how to do it. They cost about $35 for the pair, which seemed like plenty, but we needed them and nobody had any inclination to scratch build gates. We spent another $30 on a bell simulator, and I have to say, at our latest Open House that setup was a real crowd pleaser. So it was probably all worth it.

^The only problem I have with that is the flashers look a little bit too big.

I've been having trouble finding photos of 70's era crossings. I do know that the "A" frame type were older. I wonder if it was road specific or did the state/county furnish standard style crossing apparatus?

I attached a scanned page from one of my SCL textbooks that may be of some use. I noticed it has a couple notes that are specific to different states..

Frank, are you looking for just crossbucks or a protected grade crossing signal, like flashers and/or a gate? If it's crossbucks, most railroads used a standard type with any modifications required by state law. For example, in Alabama, an unsignaled crossing must also have a standard red "Stop" sign attached to the crossbuck upright. In the 70's, the two basic types of crossbucks in common use were painted wood or painted metal, sometimes with raised lettering. Painted reflective aluminum crossbucks were just coming on the scene. RailFlyer and Pikestuff both have crossbucks that were typical of the 70's.

^Just flashers for now, but also details such as relay cabinets and battery vaults (but I have only seen the batteries at gated crossings). All of my planned crossings are using standard crossbucks with stop signs, only one will be lighted/gated. I was hoping to get ideas for a realistic setup, and possibly animation.

The NJ International signals really look pretty good. It's an artifact of the photo that makes the bulbs look larger than they are. Tomar is the other maker of working grade crossing signals. Have a look at both the their prices and see what you think is a better deal.

For any crossing flasher and gate, you'll need a Tortoise switch motor for each gate and a detector/flasher unit. Rail Logic makes good detection units. Mark (MGWSY) can get you some good prices on these components so I suggest you give him a PM with what you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
TOMAR INDUSTRIES
http://www.tomarindustries.com/signals.htm
H-863.jpg

HO #H-863
$165.30
HO SCALE RR CROSSING SIGNAL W/GATE
four LED,s 2-front,2-back
gates powered by Tortois switch machine.
Switch machine & linkage included
(flasher & detection units not included)
red/white and black/white decals for gate.

Here is a setup I did using Tomar signals on a clubs modular layout in 2006.

The NJI signals are OK but the light housings are too small to be accurate. The Tomars are as close to scale as today’s modern signals for main road crossings.

Some pics.

01-15-0617.png

01-15-0615.png

12-23-0539.png

The wiring to make it all work with the 3 tracks.

01-15-064.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Tomar's but they are really expensive and I don't think they look twice as good as the NJ International signals, which is about how much more expensive the Tomar's are than the NJ International's. I'd still try to look at both in person and see what you think. Whatever you decide, Mark will give you a better deal than nay of the other on-line sources.

I like the Tomar's but they are really expensive and I don't think they look twice as good as the NJ International signals, which is about how much more expensive the Tomar's are than the NJ International's. I'd still try to look at both in person and see what you think. Whatever you decide, Mark will give you a better deal than nay of the other on-line sources.

Thats true as I can get the NJI signals for around $25 and Tomar Grade crossing set for $99 If you go the Tomar route its better to just get the signals seperatly I did for the club. The entire crossing cost less then $150 for everything.

Hello all,

Another place, though quite expensive is here-> http://members.shaw.ca/signalogic/

Look over their website. Even has videos! Seems like Tomar & NJI only have lights on the stantchions, not on the gate arms where Signalogic does.

Ahhh, keep dreaming Joe, someday, maybe someday..... :)

Regards,

NJ International makes some real nice stuff, or they use to when
there were in hicksville,ny. they owned hobby images hobby shop
it was very cool to see them making all the brass stuff :D

Thanks for posting that YouTube link Mark,

I always thought working crossing protection was just about as cool as operations. Its even better now with DCC & sound where you are acting like the "real" engineer's!! Sound that bell & blow them horns!! :D

Regards,

Well, I ordered a set of the Details West flashers for $13.99

I was told by the store I ordered them from that they are unpainted kits. After I receive them I will report back here with photos and a 'review' of sorts.

Back