Next Layout Plans

AL1

Shortliner
This plan has been in the works for about a month now.. I think I have settled on a final plan. I drew some details such as roads and buildings..

I want to use this project to test the CVT turnouts and tie strips. The mainline is Code 70, the siding is Code 55 and the spurs are going to be Code 55 with the woodyard tracks being Code 40.

Hopefully the more experienced track planners here can find any flaws in my layout before the benchwork goes up!

This plan has been in the works for about a month now.. I think I have settled on a final plan. I drew some details such as roads and buildings..

I want to use this project to test the CVT turnouts and tie strips. The mainline is Code 70, the siding is Code 55 and the spurs are going to be Code 55 with the woodyard tracks being Code 40.

Hopefully the more experienced track planners here can find any flaws in my layout before the benchwork goes up!

The question is how do you feel about it? Your RR. long as your happy about it enough said!:) JMO. I like it, simple, afordable and manageable.

"I like it, simple, afordable and manageable." I'll secound that. The only thing I might add is some sort of simple staging. It wouldn't need to be much, maybe just a track that would duck behind a hill or the other side of the backdrop.

What I like is that it is simple, does the job and is well planned out. What I don't like is that although you have some sidings, there's not much you can do in terms of operations. You have created a closed system.

In other words, you can pull a tank car from an industry, but then what? You carry it around with you a couple laps then put it back. What you are lacking is a connection with the outside world.

A simple solution would be to add an interchange with another railroad. This could be a track that runs along a wall, or it could be a track that simply goes from the edge of the bench to the wall. (hopefully at an angle) What is important is that you have a exchange track where you can set cars, to be picked up by the other railroad. In this way you can ship out products and receive products from somewhere else. By simply using this track as a fiddle track, you increase the variety of action 10 fold, and you can include equipment from other roads.

Well, I knew I should have included an interchange track or some staging, but I also wanted to maintain the rural feel of the line.

I attached a revision which includes the interchange. Since the interchange is with the same railroad, I just ran it through up to the backdrop. The rest goes downgrade to a single track staging area. Since I will have two stacks of 2" foam on top of the plywood, and an additional 1/2" for the roadbed and building foundations I should be able to hide the track sufficiently.

What I thought about doing was having the track continue down a level and have a second continuous run down below (hidden), that way the interchange will appear active with mainline trains passing in the background. However, you would only see the mainline train for a brief moment, doesn't seem worth it in the long run.

This is probably one of my better plans. Hopefully it will materialize in the next few weeks.

In looking at you plan I get the sense that you are really intending "staging" that has a reason for being there, as opposed to and exchange track where cars are exchanged between roads or even a branch and a main.

For the most part I like the staging idea with the caveat you can reach the lower track. And if you can reach it, why not 3 or 4 tracks and make it really useful?

its a nice simple layout I like it better with the added junction and staging. With the junction it looks as if your train has a way out. A cool idea if used correctly would be to use a mirror at the end of that junction track . It will add more depth to the layout and look a little bigger. I also think that a few swith tracks down below to hold another train would be nice. If you wanted to go a little over kill you could bring that lower loop around to the other side and let it reconnect near the grain mill. that way you could run 2 trains at once,share the same mainline only at one section and it could add to your operation plans. Just an idea??

Looks great regardless.

Trent

After another trip to the drawing board I have more refined final version.. Now the 'mainline' emerges and allows for continuous run of mainline freight in the background (talk about a functional interchange). The local can emerge from the depths and switch the industries along the line, run around the train, then disappear again.

Hopefully the mainline will drop in grade enough so that it won't be as visible to viewers.. The overpass hides it on the right side, and the left will be concealed by either structures or another cut/fill.

Overall I like the plan still, and I hope it isn't too cluttered to detract from the rural theme.

Plenty of function and action There!

This is the one I like best but its your RR so do as you see fit. I think you will like it as you can let one train do slow laps in the background as you operate the 2nd train with local switch moves. You have a few spurs, a junction,siding and continous loop. sounds like your railway will operate like the real thing.

Nice job!:)

Trent

I like it, Frank. I think view blocks are underused as scenic elements compared to trying to things on two levels. I have several view blocks on my layout that make the trains seem to disappear and then reappear. Since it's a small layout, it makes the viewer think the mainline is longer. You have some challenges making view blocks with the tracks so close together but it can be done. I look forward to your ideas on that.

Back