What is this?

AL1

Shortliner
I am in need of some more loco help, this time I am modeling a straight GP40, road specific, ex-CSX/B&O. However, there is some odd hoop shaped screen on the top of the locomotive, any ideas as to what it might be, and to where I can get one for my model?

Also notice that the separate fan over the dynamic brakes seems to have been removed... Does this signify that the feature (DB) was removed entirely?

Thanks,

AL1/Frank

Methinks that is a spark arrestor, since it's directly over the exhaust stack. All the Chessie 1st-generation locos had them, as well as their GP38's. But that is the first time I've ever seen anything like that on a turbocharged unit.

Generally, a turbocharger is considered a spark arrester. If that unit has had the dynamic brakes removed, is it possible the turbo was also removed, and the exhaust stack left in place?

I think Terry has it right. The dynamics and turocharger were probably removed at the same time. Without the turbo, most states require spark arresters. Kind of an odd looking spark arrester but spark arrester it is.

She also might still have her turbo, lightly used EMD turbo engines that dont see lots of hard full power pulling on low speed branch lines tend to get carboned up and can throw embers out the stack when throttled up quickly enough. This unit might be in a high fire prone area and they are being extra carefull. We use to take the 2 ex NS GP30 high hoods on the shortline I worked in the shop for, and put them on a "load box" in the engine shop and run them smartly up to notch 8 for a good hour to clear the carbon and build up in the manifolds and exhaust stack. Espicaly before the dry days leading up to the fall harvest. Last thing we needed was a corn field fire right after they harvested the crop. If we did it at night, it would look like a fireworks display for a few min. The non turbo units were even worse but usualy they worked harder and stayed pretty clean.

Thanks everyone for your input, and yes, these locomotives operate in drought-prone and dry areas. Interesting you should mention dry areas, this railroad company was sued for a fire started by one of their locomotives, back in 2001/2002 I believe. These upside down "U" shaped features are put on all their GP40's. There aren't really any huge grades on this line, my track chart doesn't show it passing .5%

That being said, I don't suppose Details West or Details Associates carries anything like this? Would I need to scratchbuild the part? Also, I am using an Atlas GP40 as a starting point, I will probably scrape off the DB fan next..

Yeah, never saw a detail part for that. Looks like it can be made with some simple etched wire mesh, and a bent piece of brass strip.

Back