Handlaid Track

AL1

Shortliner
In planning my next layout, I found that I am only going to have about 30' of mainline, and various lengths of sidings and such.. I figured it was time to try handlaying track.

Not sure if it is true handlaying, but I came across the CVT tie strips which come in mainline or branchline sizes:

http://www.cvmw.com/index.htm

They make turnout kits that match these (I think?). I plan on using ME Code 70 rail for everything except for select industrial spurs which will be Code 55.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/18in-micro-engineering-code-70-nonweath-rail-single-pieces-p-3035.php

The Code 70 rail comes in 18" pieces and is pretty cheap at $0.86.

My question is, would this work for me? I want to try something new, and I want to include "rivet counter" details such as joint bars (which are dirt cheap).

So, is this a good idea or should I just go with flextrack?

It's the best looking "handlaid" track I've seen in terms of details. Since it looks like the tie strips are all black plastic, you should plan on painting and weathering them like any other track. I'm just slighty suspicious of how they have you mash over the spikes to hold the rails in place. The switch also looks a lot more complicated than they make it out to be. I'd order one of their test packs of six tie strips and then see what you think.

I've been playing with the CV tie strips and turnout kits and I really like them.
I used the Fast Tracks point filing jig to make the points and order the frogs, then order some rail. I use the glue they suggest and lets say that I can build the CV Turnout kit in probably 10 minutes! No kidding.

I've done both Code 83 and Code 70 and the smaller the rail, the faster the filing goes. The super detailed turnout kits are unbelievable and everyone that I show it to loves the look. The frog detail is outstanding.

When I do the new layout which is single deck, I plan on using Micro Engineering flex on the mainline, then all the industrial and belt trackage will be using the CV Tie strips. I plan on using the CV Turnout kits for everything.

I bought my CV stuff via the Proto87 store, and Andy told me in an email that he doesn't use the tie strips with the bendover tabs. Sure enough he doesn't.
When you lay it down, it looks good!

Well, I ordered some tie strips, I have some Code 70 rail around here somewhere that I can use as a test, if all goes well the fast tracks site can expect a large order from me (thanks Chip for the discount info!). I still plan to use Code 55 on industrial spurs, the only problem is the smaller the rail the more little mistakes come back to haunt you..

The only thing that makes me nervous and makes me want to find out more is how exactly bend over tabs can hold the rail permanently.. I'm not so sure something like that can even hold a sharp curve?

The turnout kits are cheap, and if they are as super detailed as they are advertised, it is one of the best deals out there.

I will test out the material and report back here when I get the chance.

Thanks everyone,

As a little update, I ordered a 'sample' of the material.. A yard of it to be exact. I was going to buy the branchline ties, but I went with the transition era mainline. First thing I noticed... The material is fragile and not very sturdy before it it glued down to something. I made a test track with some plywood and excess cork. I had some extra Code 70 rail already available, stuck it in the slots and rolled a boxcar down. It works and looks great.

I can't see myself using it for a large layout, but I only have 45' or so of mainline and spurs. Seems easy enough (now to try the CV turnouts).

Frank, let us know how those switches work out. That system looks like it has a lot of promise.

Back