Weekly Photo Fun 3-4-11/3-10-11

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
PA240233.jpg

I've finally started my freelanced railroad, the Southern Maine Systems (SMS). Only 2 locomotives on the roster, and I still haven't decaled them. First is the old workhorse, an old u33b
63e2c237.jpg

And the new addition, a c40-8w bought from Bnsf. I still need to add the right sideframes
62d31783.jpg

Now I just need to decide on numbers and decal
4fd59d8b.jpg

Here are some photos of a freight car I've been weathering for some time. You can tell it's been some time because it's so weathered. I'm not done but close enough that I wanted to post it and get some feedback.

web_001.png

web_002.png

web_003.png

I would love to hear what you think.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I've finally started my freelanced railroad, the Southern Maine Systems (SMS). Only 2 locomotives on the roster, and I still haven't decaled them. First is the old workhorse, an old u33b
63e2c237.jpg

And the new addition, a c40-8w bought from Bnsf. I still need to add the right sideframes
62d31783.jpg

Now I just need to decide on numbers and decal
4fd59d8b.jpg

Nice choice of color. I'm still trying to decide the color(s) for my freelance railroad. As for numbers, I am using our birthdays (not the whole thing). Example, mine is 8/20/79, so I am gonna use 8207 if if goes on a road unit or 820 for a switcher. Its an idea for ya. I'm still in the planning stages of mine and as soon as I get a photo of a edngine oe rolling stock, I'll post mine. Keep us posted on the progress.

Here are some photos of a freight car I've been weathering for some time. You can tell it's been some time because it's so weathered. I'm not done but close enough that I wanted to post it and get some feedback.

I would love to hear what you think.

Dave
They look really good!
The rust is the right tone I'd say on everything, wheels, side panels etc. Good job.

Two pictures of the exit signal for trains leaving our freight yard. When there's an exit set up, it shows "Slow Clear" (green over red, on a dwarf), or "Slow Approach" if there's only one clear block ahead. But most of the time, it's passed by trains going up and down the switching lead, and then it displays "Resticting" (red over yellow) as in the second picture.

Note how there was an excavation in the ground (former location of a single-head dwarf) in the first picture, which I repaired in the second picture. And the concrete base has been painted.

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

John, nice yard you have there, and it's getting better...if that's possible. :D

Grampy, love that nice clear shot with all the time-tempered 'stuff' on the tracks. Nice deep photo with lots to feed the eye. :)

I call my contribution for the week:

Night Departure From the Roundhouse

StackJDark4cropr.png

I have been little by little making progress on the Engine house and workshop for the quarry. Started this thing months ago and figure I might be half done with it right now. Added more of the belt drive equipment. In fact this finishes up the belt drive machines which have proven to be a very, very tedious job. Fun actually!

Here are a few shots of the main room from several angles where I have been busy..... Oh, the track bumper is a scratch build... Quick and easy.

BranchEngineHouseBelt15w.png

BranchEngineHouseBelt16w.png

BranchEngineHouseBelt17w.png

BranchEngineHouseBelt18w.png

Yikes is it that time all ready?
Jeff I love the torch marks on that old girl behind the shop!
Jamie nice start to the fleet!
DJ... just a yard scene? :rolleyes: very nice!
Dave awesome rust job, you need my mailing address?
John, Crandell, Gary, Kevin, Ray, all great stuff as usual!
I'll just recycle an older pic for now.....

Well, it is time to let the cat out of the bag. As most of you know my work has been done mainly on a 3x10 diorama, not no more. I have distroyed all of it down to the bench work and have moved it to another part of my garage. I have also added upon it as I have started an actual layout. I would have done this years ago but we were suppose to sell the house. I can't wait any longer.

I have started a blog which will allow everyone to follow along as I bring this layout to life. Here is the link for whoever is interested:

http://mrl369dude.blogspot.com

Just to show you kind of where I am at with this layout, here is a photo. You must excuse the mess. I put this bench work up last weekend and ran out of time so I just threw stuff where ever. This weekend will be used for organizing. Oh, and don't mind the Lionel's. This will be a HO scale layout. The Lionels are to be sold on Ebay to help fund this project a little. The bench work still needs a lot of additional work.

James022.jpg

Back