Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. My son and his wife came over to help me make room for more snow. We got up to a toasty +5 degrees. The driveway was getting more and more narrow from plowed up snow and the snow banks were getting larger. My daughter in law thinks snowblowers are the neatest piece of machinery, so I let her have at it. It's almost as big as her.

thumbnail_20190302_113403.jpg

thumbnail_20190302_132658.jpgthumbnail_20190302_132720.jpgthumbnail_20190302_132734.jpg

We were able to widen the driveway by probably 6 to 7 feet.

Back to the train room. Later

Light rain all day long - another 1/2 inch added to the total for the season which now is 7 inches above normal for this time.

Evening All,

Thank you Chet, Garry, Louis, Willie, Karl, Joe, Phil, Sherrel and anyone I may of missed for your kind words.

Today I went and visited my friend Tom and I was telling him I wanted to do the AMB Pennsy coal trestle as my next project and he rummaged through his stacks of kit boxes and pulled it out and gave it to me saying, it was given to him, but he would never make it (he models ACL) and gave it to me!:D You could of knocked me over with a feather.

Willie- Great looking brick buildings.

Chet- Great looking MW motive power.

NP2626- I added my last build on the contest thread.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Light rain all day long - another 1/2 inch added to the total for the season which now is 7 inches above normal for this time.

Sherrel: I watched the Kings play the Blackhawks at Staples Center, via TV this afternoon. The talking heads from Fox Sports LA, showed the rain outside the arena, and complained about how cold, wet and wintry the weather was. :eek::eek::eek:
:rolleyes: BTW, Kings 10 game losing streak is over, they won 6-3. :rolleyes:

Boris

Terry and Willie, I found some stick-on window tinting at home depot, clear with UV filtering and it comes in different widths.

I buy as much as I can from my local hardware store (Poplar Hardware) they give me great service and always answer my questions, like you guys. :) I'll call Poplar Hardware and see if they have it or can get it. If not I'll compare prices at Amazon and Home Depot.

I prefer to buy from Home Depot because they have a 1 year no questions asked return policy if I use my Home Depot credit card. Amazon only has free returns if there is something wrong with the purchase. If I screw up and buy too much or buy the wrong thing, I pay for return shipping with Amazon.

Sherrel,
you are right, they are Jalousie windows, thank you. I have not seen any posts from you on facebook.

1551593733733.png

The California Zrphyr in Oakland, CA 1958
"According to the station clock, Western Pacific Train 18, The California Zephyr, has ten more minutes to wait before leaving this big trainshed at the Southern Pacific Oakland Pier enroute to Chicago on June 15, 1958."
Marvin Maynard photo and caption.

Good morning Everybody!

It's 40 under partly cloudy skies here in southeast Baltimore.

I'm up early this morning. I already made my rounds. I am the self-appointed, unofficial neighborhood watch. No low-life scumbags on my street, as usual, unless of course you count me ;)

I slept almost 5 hours and I feel good after working yesterday. Another easy route in Baltimore so I finished 33 stops in a little under two hours and got paid for 4, life is good. MSN weather tells me there is a 100% chance of light snow and rain this afternoon, it's a good day to take a break from work.

Holy Mackerel Andy! I forgot to make coffee, I knew something was missing. I don't need coffee, but I love it!

Since this part of the Forum is sort of for an anything goes type of discussion, has anyone who get's Netflix seen the movie "Unacknowledged"? I found this movie to be very interesting!

Good Morning All. 34° and foggy. Foggy and misty all day yesterday. Weather guessers here have raised the prediction for tonight's overnight low up to 21°, from 17° in the forecast yesterday. Some comfort! Won't get back above freezing until late morning Tuesday, and then upper 60's by Thursday!:cool:
Thanks for the comments and likes on yesterday's pictures, Dave, Louis, Chet, Curt and anyone else that I may have missed.
Here's a rural scene from elsewhere on the layout.
03-03-19 008.JPG

And a pair of very clean Kato GP35's waiting on the siding in Vernon.
03-03-19 007.JPG

A banner day in the train shed yesterday, I dropped a screwdriver on the floor while at the workbench, and lo and behold, there was the missing figure that I gave up on two weeks ago.:) Now I'm thinking that I didn't actually drop it back then, and maybe it was just under something on the workbench and got dislodged yesterday. Spent more time with ground cover and painting additional detail parts until I started running the trains again. While I'm not yet ready to start using my switching program, I have started assembling outbound freights with a yard switcher instead of 0-5-0.

Dave - Nice work on those grass warehouses.
Chet - Outstanding job on the weathering on the SD7.

Time for a few more logs in the heater, it's going to be a brutal (for me) couple of days coming up. I hope that everyone has a great Sunday.

Good morning. Happy Sunday. 31° and sunny. The next 24 hours promise some interesting weather. After forecasting a mainly rain event for two or three days, suddenly, this morning the weather guessers have placed a Winter Storm warning into effect, and have altered the forecast to beginning as rain then 3" to 7" of snow overnight. ". This is nothing, for all of you in the snow belt, but it will be the biggest storm of the season. It also promises to be one where the snow blower, assuming it starts, is ineffective due to moisture content. On the bright side, today's high is forecast to be 40° and 39° tomorrow, so.. maybe the crap will all melt upon falling.

Mark: Don't use Netflix, so I can't comment, sorry!

Louis: Nice photo of the CZ @ Oakland.

Willie: Nice photos of the Rural scene, and the ATSF power. Those escaped steers remind me of the early morning, I came around the curve, at Bird-in-Hand, PA, and encountering a couple of some (Amish) farmers escaped mules, on the track, while running Amtrak # 601. Managed not to hit them, (which is hard to do on railroad tracks). By the time we made our return trip, they were back where they belong, and Ole Stoltzfus and his sons were fixing their fence.

Today, looks like a good day to do more work on my Chemical plant project, using the Atlas Middlesex Manufacturing, (Helm Tobacco), 4 story building, the Williams Brothers upright tank structure, Walthers Refinery pipe kit, and tank car rack, plus another structure built from Walthers modular kit parts. I intend to use appropriate lighting and other structural details, based on photos of contemporary Urban Mill buildings.

Boris

Last edited:
Good morning. It's cloudy and 41. Rain forecast for most of today and tonight. The forecast lows over the next couple of days have risen slightly. Instead of being below 20, they are now in the mid 20s. I had to buy another $300 tank of LP, because it's been so wet and muddy the natural gas company can't get their equipment in our yard without ruining the yard.

Good morning ....

I went with friends to the train she in Evansville, IN yesterday. I mostly looked around, but I did buy a few coal hoppers. I already have plenty of them, but why not get more ?

Here is a view from the US 41 bridge entering Evansville. The Ohio River is very high, and water is all over the place. There certainly has been a lot of rain in recent weeks in this region. Normally, there is dry land to the left of the row of trees.

32317961447_36199a042b_k.jpg

Today, we are going to Nashville again to visit Shelley's Mom. Again, we will detour around last week's major mudslide on I-24. Last I heard cleaning up the slide will take two weeks.

Yesterday I was trying to explain how to tell an SD7 from and SD9. ..... This time I am show a comparison photo. CB&Q 317 is an SD7 with two ladders on the short hood. CB&Q 358 is an SD9 with just one ladder on the short hood...... On the other ends of the locomotives, each unit has two ladders.

47263441151_ff537e2907_k.jpg

Here is CB&Q 358 (SD9) again, and you can see it does have two ladders on the end of the long hood as do SD7's.

35285908413_79b260f685_b.jpg

Louis ..... The CZ was called "The Silver Lady", and many fans think it was the best looking train ever.

Willie ..... Your photos yesterday and today are great. Nice looking GP35's.

Joe .... I'm glad your train missed the mules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back