Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
On to other things.

I decided to make my front porch layout permanent, but changing with seasons.

The issue I'm facing is the sun has bleached some of my decorations.

Any economical (cheap) ideas how to deal with it, without limiting outside visibility? I like showing it off. :)

Good morning everyone. 26 and mostly cloudy. Ah, the smell of fresh paint and strong coffee - - nothing like it!! I'll have a cinnamon roll and a big mug of that java, Flo. (Or would that be "lava flow"? "Java the temperature of lava"?) Happy March 1th.

Anyone else having problems with the forum? Often it tells me something is loading, and 3 or 4 minutes later it still tells me it's loading. So I log out (which often takes a while, too) and try again later. It used to do that, then stopped for several weeks, now it's doing it again. Tried replying to two posts this morning and had to quit.

Willie - Thanks for that info on the Jack's Backyard Bar Mills kit.

Been having phenomenal BP readings lately. I've been on rather low-dose Metoprolol for a while, but lately I've been taking high-dosage (5000 IU) D3, which is the only change I've made lately. May not be for everyone, but it sure seems to be working for me. Will keep an eye on it and keep you posted.

Ran trains for a half hour last night. Have so much scenicking to do. Our local train club hosts its spring show three weeks from tomorrow, so I'll be there looking for bargains.

Have a good day everyone.

1551446351769.png

The holidays are over, but it is snowing.

Johnny it's great to hear about your blood pressure.

I have not had any problems with the forum, but I have heard others speak troubles recently.

Good Morning All. 29° and cloudy. Forecast for the next few days just keeps changing to colder and colder. Now predicting 16° for Sunday night, and the 50° for today and tomorrow has been reduced to 45°. Of course Mark, Greg or Chet would probably welcome this weather! Despite the cold temperatures, I am going to have to mow parts of the yard today and tomorrow. The past three months are the longest span that I can remember that I haven't mowed. Been starting and moving the tractor about every ten days just to keep things moving.
Nothing significant in the train shed yesterday, ran trains and added ground cover.

Louis -
I saw more cows than I did people and sometimes the only visible signs of civilization were the roads and livestock fences.
There are some days that I don't see humans at all except my wife! If I walk to the mailbox, it's a 2.25 mile round trip with only road, cows, vultures and fences! Occasionally there's a coyote or a deer to break the monotony, even though they are both primarily nocturnal.
Mark -
However wood kit's prices put me off.
The prices put me off for years, but after I quit buying rolling stock, I diverted more to wood kits. I still won't touch those by South River or Fine Scale Miniatures, even though they might actually be worth it. All mine come from a LHS that sells everything at 20% off list, and $65 is about my limit. The "Jack's Back Yard" kit that Johnny asked about lists at $47.95, but I paid less than $40 plus tax.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, 2 above zero and snow forecast for today. Someone left their coveralls and needs them in the field, so I was elected to drive the rush hour traffic to SW minneapolis to deliver them. patience, patience.

Johnny, mine loads slow as well, and sometimes I have to give it two tries and/or retry multiple times.

Louis, you sure know how to work! Seems the modern day workplace has a problem recognizing that. At least where I have been, it is more about office politics than work ethic.

Here is my layout shot of the day-- a different view of the sawmill

amill 003.JPG

Enjoy your day... Dave

I know your doing Summer now and I always notice Summer goes so very fast!
2nd day of Autumn (Fall to you) today. Temps are mild where I am with cloud and the occasional shower, but the southern states including Tasmania are in heat wave again and extreme fire dangers declared. Melbourne was 104 or so and Hobart, the capital of Tassie had 95 Today, with 98 forecast for tomorrow. Warm and continuing dry is the long term expectation.

2nd day of Autumn (Fall to you) today. Temps are mild where I am with cloud and the occasional shower, but the southern states including Tasmania are in heat wave again and extreme fire dangers declared. Melbourne was 104 or so and Hobart, the capital of Tassie had 95 Today, with 98 forecast for tomorrow. Warm and continuing dry is the long term expectation.

What would temps (lows, highs)) for a typical winter look like for you?

Toot, we're still

Toot, we're still 2 1/2 weeks away from Spring (Vernal Equinox). How is it you are two days into Fall, already?

Bryce Harper signed a 13 year 330million dollar contract with the Phillies. The Phillies are getting a sub-par/average defender who hit 249 last year. He did hit 32 homeruns and drove in 100 runs, but he will be 39 when his contract is over. He led the league in walks with 130, but he had 169 strikeouts! That's a lot of eggs in one not so pretty basket.

Harper has already used up his best 7 years, and he has 13 years of no trade contract time. Wonder how the Phillies and Phillies Phans will like years 7 through 13 when he can only DH and he's in a no DH league. The money is mostly TV money, otherwise, there would be none of the ridiculous contracts that exist today. The players, have become entertainers...

Speaking of sports, last night I watched the Leafs play the Islanders @ Nassau Coliseum. The full house crowd made life miserable for ex Islander Captain John Tavares, who moved "home" to Toronto as a free agent last summer. He faces the wrath of a jilted fan base.

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavar...-clear-in-return-with-maple-leafs/c-305351262

It was a fun game to watch. Not for nothing, having attended Hockey games at Landover Center, The Philly Spectrum, the Garden, The Meadowlands, Wells Fargo Center, Prudential center and Nassau Coliseum, in my opinion, the Coliseum was the best hockey venue in the NHL.

Boris

Good morning, "Happy Friday", 28° with a lite snowfall. So far less than an inch on the ground" Rain and 37° later so maybe it will all go away without help.

The Rapido RDC car is a sweet running machine. I'm really tempted to hook up the DCC controller now. Of course, if I do, the engines I'm using now, will all need decoders. :(. OTOH, I can dig out my Baldwin S12, and RS12s which come with decoder and sound. :).

Boris

Well, Well ... another Month has come! They are more fastly going by it seems.
The temp is 56 going to 68 today and we are in the middle of a cloud, or heavy fog.
I cannot see the 5th house away - so that's what, maybe 200 yards? The commute should be "fun" this morning.

Nothing new this day ... finally got everything repaired on the RV about noon yesterday after starting at 6:30 in the morning. At the moment I have pains where I didn't know existed? I still have one thing to repair, but it can wait - the code to open the RV cabin door without using a key is not working. BIL and clan will launch out after loading this morning.

CHET - Nice Milwalkee SD that you have there. I like the sound on it, and I presume that it is making sound off of DC?
You have had a whold lot of snow this year .. how do you estimate how much fuel you may need for the generator?

The Butterflies were out in force yesterday - literally millions of them all over. The Spousal Unit had just made the remark to me the day before that we seem NOT to have Butterflies as years before?

Time for more coffee and something to make the hurts go away!

Good morning, everybody .....

Louis and Mike .... For a long time, I have been turned off by professional sports and all the huge amounts of money involved. The resulting corruption, performance enhancing drugs, etc is more than I care to deal with. I won't support players who kneel for the National Anthem. Game tickets are too expensive. I won't watch them on TV because their advertisers are the ones who fund all of that foolishness. I used to enjoy going to Cubs and White Sox games growing up in Chicago area. Later, I went to Tigers goes when I was living in Michigan. No more. They lost me. I have better things to do. ... End of rant.

Dave LASM .... Great sawmill scene !

Chet ...... I like the MILW SD9....

Louis ..... Here are more shots of CSX street running. This is LaGrange, KY on the CSX line between Louisville and Cincinnati. I took the first photo at a restaurant. Other photos are of the internet.

35907384084_10487f6c96_b.jpg

44040989584_f521a4d237.jpg

30889088848_ec277ff498_b.jpg

Good Morning Everyone......................overcast and snow on the way!

Blood test for A1c and then a fattening lunch at a local pub. :p No trains today.

Installed the second Tomar grade crossing yesterday and it works fine and really makes a difference to have one on either side of the roadway. I had to install it a little bit in the roadway since the terrain on the side of road would need major revamping. It surprising what a operating grade crossing costs when you figure the cost of the various components, the detection circuit, flasher circuit, bell ringer circuit and the bell, plus the flashing crossing themselves. But, the action of the flashing LED's is an attention getter and worth the cost.

I have a second set of operating crossing signals, not Tomar, and the circuits for the freight yard expansion.

I used my new Weller Soldering Station again yesterday and I can't believe how fast it heats up. Almost no waiting like a iron type soldering tool.

Terry: I enjoy the WHO and I'm listening to them as I type this thread...sort of a CSI morning. :cool:

Dave: Great job on the sawmill building with the open side and roof.

Chet: Please don't wear out that SD-9 before you get to run it at the club. The SD-9's are great looking locomotives.

Louis: 330 million for one player, no way will I pay the price for a ticket when the salaries for a sports player are at a minium of over a half million dollars. I used to get baseball tickets from vendors and I did enjoy going to a game, but a few refreshments and something to eat over $100 for two even with free tickets.

Then there's professional football and basketball.

Catch you later.........

Greg

#######################

Last edited:
Good morning. Started the day off at 14 degrees but it has warmed up to 30 with the bright sunshine which we haven't seen for much of lately.
thumbnail_20190301_092839.jpg
We did get more snow last night, but the jet stream is changing. Good news and bad news.Now more moisture coming in from the Pacific. Instead our friends up north are sending an arctic blast. Some parts of the state are expected to get near 40 below. In the minus 20's for us.

Louis - Like the photo of street running in the snow. Looks a bit familiar.

Dave - Another great photo. Keep them coming. Love to see your work.

Joe - This Rapido RDC are some sweet units. I have seen a number of videos from Rapido and was soooo tempted. The brain took over and being that I have limited passenger service and that I already have one RDC, I had to pass. I know that Greg is in love with his.

Garry - Those are some nice photos. Thanks for the post.

Sherrel - That SD-9 sound is some of the best I have heard. Terry said that he replaced the sound decoder with a Soundtraxx with a sound file for an EMD 16v567C non turbo. The video was taken controlling the engine with DC. Now all I have to do is to get some weight added. I have some self adhesive weights I can add to the roof of the shell. I how it will increase the pulling power. I sometimes think that the locomotive manufacturers purposely make the units light so they can see more so model railroaders can pull decent length trains. So far as the generator goes, I have a good idea of how much fuel it burns in an hour and with the fuel I have on hand I can guess how long it would run continuously.

Here's my rail picture for today.

railway-508568__340.jpg

I have already been running trains and think I will return to the train room.

Later

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back