Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon.....30 degrees and home from lunch.

It was amazing that the entire bar was full of retired guys who drank only soda and two ladies in the their late 70's or early 80's ordered mix drinks. The owner remarked that the alcohol business at lunch time is way down from where it used to be in the 90's. Maybe the no drinking stems from something to do with the village police department being across the street from the tavern.

Trains soon which wasn't in the plans for today.

I want too see roads I have for the SD-9's. I know I have a Milwaukee Road, but don't know if it has sound, but its does have DCC. SD-7's are close to the 9's if I remember correctly.

Later everyone....

Greg

SD-7's are close to the 9's if I remember correctly.

Later everyone....

Greg
Externally, SD7s and SD9s differed only in where the class lights were positioned. SD7s had the lights centered over the numberboard, and SD9s had them at the outer ends of the numberboards.
Internally, the biggest difference was a bump in HP from 1500 to 1750.

Toot, we're still

Toot, we're still 2 1/2 weeks away from Spring (Vernal Equinox). How is it you are two days into Fall, already?
We're simple Folk down here. 12 months in a year, 4 seasons, 12 divided by 4 = 3. Therefore 3 months per season. Just slightly skewed to suit the supposedly average temps. Why Autumn starts officially, after 2 months into the year.

Evening All,

Last night our oldest skunk crossed the bridge while being held by my wife and we buried him this morning. He was always a very gentle soul and will be missed.

We have been going non-stop today and I finally got a chance to sit down and relax about an hour ago. Among other things, I picked up another box of Nitrile gloves that I keep at the workbench. I also picked up a package of electrical connectors (for building lighting). Tomorrow I am meeting my friend in Orlando and afterwards I'm going to the LHS to pick up some paint I need to continue my siding project.

Chet- Nice pictures and video.

NP2626- You're right about cost. That is the reason I don't build more of them. I saw an ad last night for a craftsman wood roundhouse that I love the look of, but I would need 2 of them at a cost of $500...not in this lifetime:)

Louis/Garry- Interesting street running photos of the SD56XXXACE45T locos (just guessing):oops:

Johnny- Always good news about having lower BP's.

I hope everyone has a good night and I hope everyone has no issues from the weather this weekend. Stay safe.

What would temps (lows, highs)) for a typical winter look like for you?
Had to look that up Mike. The averages for the Winter months where I am are (F) June 51-71. July 49-71. August 49-74. I'm not right on the coast, so a bit more sheltered. Further inland and higher up gets quite a bit cooler.

Coming from New Zealand in '86, I spent the first 3 years in shorts, maybe a light shirt and thongs (flip flops) and used to be amazed at the locals wearing jackets etc. Now I do the same.

We're simple Folk down here. 12 months in a year, 4 seasons, 12 divided by 4 = 3. Therefore 3 months per season. Just slightly skewed to suit the supposedly average temps. Why Autumn starts officially, after 2 months into the year.
Sounds like legislative overreach, to me.

Externally, SD7s and SD9s differed only in where the class lights were positioned. SD7s had the lights centered over the numberboard, and SD9s had them at the outer ends of the numberboards.
Internally, the biggest difference was a bump in HP from 1500 to 1750.

I have HO models of of SD7's and SD9's. ... Another variance is the ladders under the number boards... For the short hood, SD7's have a ladder under each number board, and SD9's have only one ladder which is under just one number board. For the long hood, ladders are the same for SD7's and SD9's.

In this photo, # 358, an SD9, has no ladder under the number board which is closest to the camera.

36805335625_8825a6eb6d_b.jpg

In the next photo, #317, an SD7, has two ladders on the short hood under the number boards.

35966988474_7d17156efd_b.jpg

This site is very slow, and I am unable to edit my post. ..... I had a small correction to make, but I can't ..... (I typed "of" twice.)

Curt, I'm so sorry to hear about your families' loss, but it is comforting to be with them when they pass. In time the sadness will turn to happiness when you think of him. It's sad that most of our pets lives are so much shorter than ours, but they bring so much joy in that short time.

Louis, you sure know how to work! Seems the modern day workplace has a problem recognizing that. At least where I have been, it is more about office politics than work ethic.

Here is my layout shot of the day-- a different view of the sawmill

View attachment 34799

Enjoy your day... Dave
David, ethics of any kind are not the norm these days, but we can always take pride in doing the right thing. I believe God is keeping the only record of what happens that matters.

Great photo, the layout and back drop look seamless. If you had taken that photo in black and white it would have been hard for anyone to know it was a model. It looks real to me in color!

Hi Louis,

I would "like" this photo if I wasn't so dang tired of the snow!

With all the snow your part of the country gets I can understand why you would feel that way.

Chet maybe that picture looks familiar because it has been posted before? Maybe you did or I did or someone else? I don't know, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday most of the time. :)

I don't resent the players or blame them for their salaries. The owners write the contracts, players only sign them. Why should the owners make an unfair share of the profits? Here is an example of what happens when players are unfairly underpaid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal

It's nothing new, sports has always been big money, the difference now is the players are getting a more fair share of the profits. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/tsn/babe_ruth_salary.shtml

Forbes magazine reports the New York Yankees and Dallas Cowboys are worth $3.2 billion dollars, each. The Real Madrid soccer team is the most valuable franchise in the world at $3.44 billion. Some unconfirmed estimates have Manchester United at even higher.

The salary cap in the NFL is $188.2 million. In 2018 The Boston Red Sox, Los Angels Dodgers, San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs all exceeded the NFL salary cap by $10 million or more. The Red Sox exceeded the NFL's cap by more than $45 million. Real Madrid's annual player salaries? $8.64 million. Global sports gambling revenues? $90.9 billion. Seems obvious to me why there have been allegations of cheating in soccer.

Our sports franchise owners are not generous. From my experience rich people are seldom if ever generous. The difference in American sports is the players unions.

At one time Baseball, Boxing and horse racing were by far the most popular sports in America. All three were riff with allegations of gamblers influencing the outcomes. Only baseball was able to fully recover, thanks in large part to Babe Ruth and his highest annual salary? $80,000 and his total for his career was far less then $1million dollars.

The man who raised me told me "when you make a deal with somebody it has to be good for both people or it's not a good deal". I firmly believe he was right.

When anything is unfair, sooner or later bad things will happen.

One more thing, I don't agree with players protesting in any capacity before, during or after the games. I think they could be more effective protesting on their own time. I will say, ask yourself why somebody would jeopardize their lively hood to protest? Like my Nanny said, "try to see the other guys point of view"

Harper has already used up his best 7 years, and he has 13 years of no trade contract time. Wonder how the Phillies and Phillies Phans will like years 7 through 13 when he can only DH and he's in a no DH league. The money is mostly TV money, otherwise, there would be none of the ridiculous contracts that exist today. The players, have become entertainers...

Speaking of sports, last night I watched the Leafs play the Islanders @ Nassau Coliseum. The full house crowd made life miserable for ex Islander Captain John Tavares, who moved "home" to Toronto as a free agent last summer. He faces the wrath of a jilted fan base.

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavar...-clear-in-return-with-maple-leafs/c-305351262

It was a fun game to watch. Not for nothing, having attended Hockey games at Landover Center, The Philly Spectrum, the Garden, The Meadowlands, Wells Fargo Center, Prudential center and Nassau Coliseum, in my opinion, the Coliseum was the best hockey venue in the NHL.

Boris
Boris I just don't understand Harper or Machado's contracts. I thought baseball had learned from past failures that long contracts don't work out. I did see the Padres can back out of Machado's contract after 5 years. I hope the Phillies have the clause in place with Harper. Maybe one day they will all get wise and pay players by incentives at the end of each season, based on performance and team profits.

I have a friend in Philly, he loves hockey and has been in every NHL arena in the northeast. He told me Washington's new place is the most comfortable, convenient and luxurious, but by far the best is the Nassau Coliseum. He said "What true hockey fan goes to a game for comfort and luxury?"

I laughed at this quote from the article you posted. "Obviously they have their feelings and that's out of my control," Tavares said. :) thanks for sharing the article.!

Good morning Everybody!

It's 34 with light rain falling in southeast Baltimore. MSN weather says the rain will end by 8am, I hope so, I'm scheduled to work from 3pm-7pm.

Yesterday I recived my $40 fine in the mail from the speed camera. I was going 42mph in a 30mph zone. Speed cameras in Baltimore are set for 12mph over the speed limit. I should have known better. The cost of doing business or the cost of being stupid? It all adds up the same.

We're pretty simple up here, too. 12 mos. divided by 4 seasons equals 6 months of winter,3 months spring, 0 months of summer and 3 months of fall.

Yippy! It's Winter, it's about -13 below and we'll see a high of +7 above and mostly cloudy!

Awh, it's good to see the discussion on Professional Sports seem to be over! I suppose my mentioning will bring it back in force!

Anyone have any idea why entry into my contest is doing so poorly? Maybe the new Model Railroader does not use structures on their layouts?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back