Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 43° and clear, going back up to 70° again today, 80's for the rest of the week. It isn't supposed to be this cool again until Saturday night, so I am not done with the wood stove yet. Nice day outside yesterday for mowing and tree branch remediation. Mowed about half an acre on the SW area of the yard. My firewood stack for 2018-2019 already has seven weeks worth of heating fuel in it so it should be dry enough for burning by November. Actually still have dry wood leftover from this year plus two more dead trees to remove.

I did find some time to spend in the train shed yesterday. Did a little more detailing around the farm homestead and tidied the area up.
04-10-18 002.JPG04-10-18 003.JPG
04-10-18 004.JPG04-10-18 005.JPG
The Atlas switch tower is next to the aisle across the tracks from the farm and is included in the current project. Besides sprucing it up a bit, I added interior lights and a person inside as well as the two outside. Not seen in these views is the distribution center that I rehabbed last month. It's temporarily elsewhere while I did the stuff in the back. The three lineal feet that I am working on here represents 1% of the layout and brings the "complete" portion up to about 17%. Summer's coming and I will be spending more time indoors soon. More time for scenery since benchwork is now completed.
I'm not quite done yet. I still have additional vehicles. trees, animals, people and other inert details to add. And as I posted yesterday, I need additional fencing for the cows.
While waiting for glue to dry, I added graffiti, both decals and hand drawn, to four freight cars prior to weathering them. Blair Line has an extensive series of graffiti decals suitable for the early 80's to now. I use paint pens and felt tip markers for earlier stuff like "Kilroy was here", peace signs and "SRS '69" type markings. While I don't approve of graffiti, it is a reality that I do present on the layout. I noticed while railfanning in the 70's and 80's, that graffiti was more prevalent on RR lines like SP and UP than on KCS or ATSF; at least around here. I didn't remember seeing many eastern RR's at the time.

Garry - I took an additional look at that bridge that you posted in post # 1032 on Sunday, that is quite a structure. Looks really good.
Greg - Condolences on the passing of your MIL.
Curt - I can relate to the tree trimming. I am having to do a major push here to rectify the last ten years of "I'll get to it later". Several episodes of getting swatted in the face while mowing under them finally forced the issue. I planted over 300 trees in the early 80's so it has been ongoing lately. Hope that you are successful in getting back into the trainroom after your hiatus.
Joe - Nice work on the BB car, and the others that you posted last week. Some modelers look at BB cars with disdain, but I have over 300 of them and upgrade and weather them as you do. Can't tell the difference in a moving train at three feet.
Sherrel - I can't answer for Joe, but if I weather a car with weathering powders, I have not had a need to seal it. Earlier in my modeling days when I used powdered chalk, it did eventually wear off from cleaning and handling. The newer weathering powders have some kind of fixative in them that causes them to adhere to surfaces better. I do dull coat all cars first to give the powders something more than shiny plastic to adhere to. I dull coat all freight cars whether or not I am going to weather them.
Gary P - You posted while I was composing...absolutely great looking modules. I do not envy you on the chain-link fence.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. Starting off at 30 degrees with an expected high in the mid 50's. Yesterday was the first day we hit 60 this year.

Gary P - Thanks for posting the photos. Excellent work. Keep it up.

Justin - Good start on the gas station. Heljan does put out some nice kits.

Joe - Nice looking box car. I see nothing at all wrong with the bb kits. I would guess that the majority of my rolling stock is bb kits. they have been running just fine for decades.

Willie - Nice photos. You can build my barbed wire fences any time you want. They look really good.

Spent some time vacuum sealing some of that fantastic bacon and sausage. Boy that stuff is good and the price can't be beat.

20180409_185244.jpg 20180409_185257.jpg

Don't know what's with the forum and uploading photos. I reduced the size of the photos to the smallest size I could and some still wouldn't upload. Hoping this is taken care of with the forum updates.

Don't forget thet we can still get together while the updates have the forum shut down at

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...orary-home-for-modelrailroadforums-com.13150/

Here's a rail photo for today.

2981ee626f4f2938e94c73b0b968cf66.jpg

Later.

Coffee and a donut to go..... We're leaving in a few minutes for Nashville. Be back this evening.

The local Rotary Club had a fund raising auction last night, and we attended it.

The high bid was $16,500 for a unique item . The winner now has the privilege of being the person who pushes a button which will dynamite the 86 year old bridge near our house. ... I posted info about the bridge project within the last 2 or 3 days.

Gotta run .... Have a great day.

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and still cold here, snow flurries yesterday.

Thanks for all the condolences from all of you.

Taking a break from the funeral details.

Garry: After seeing your Atlas Lumber, I remember I always wanted one since the first release and I contacted Atlas and they said the kit has been long discontinued. I have the perfect spot for the kit on my layout. Yesterday, I stopped at a hobby shop on the way to the cemetery, this shop has a lot of out dated kits. No luck. The owner said this was Atlas' best and most popular seller.

This morning on EBay I found one and ordered the kit.

Chet: Five pieces of bacon with toast and OJ, please.

Willie: Nice switch tower.

Curt: Since you are becoming an expert on tree trimming, I have some 80 foot white pines that could be cut for saw boards.

Joe: Great looking BB with the upgrades and weathering. I have many BB box cars that were estate items and they look fine running down the track or on a siding or spur. Like to give other modeler's rolling stock a new lease on life.

Time to tend to other items.

That's all folks.

Greg

###############

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning y'all. 38°, and after some April showers it looks like the sun is penetrating the cloud cover. I'm still bothered by the "cold", and now the allergies are kicking in on top of everything else, so I'm still feeling a little rough. I'm truly tired of this winter weather. Today's project is an existing BB box car, that's been around since the 80s. It needs new wheels and couplers, plus some dirt to enhance its appearance.

EL73833 04-09-2018.jpg

Garry P: You have a really nice looking layout there. The auto terminal is great, and I really like how you did your engine terminal.

Justin: Those Heljan Courthouse Square buildings are really nice small town structures. I had several that made up my downtown on a earlier layout, but over the years they have been replaced.

Curt:
The sand pit really looks right. What sort of wooden platform is going on the concrete foundation?

Willie: Your Texas Farm homestead, looks right also. Nice job. The Atlas Interlocking Tower fits almost anywhere, and details nicely. Nice.

Chet: That bacon and sausage makes me hungry. That looks like top shelf quality provisions. Railroadforums.com is a nice site. Never knew it was there.

Sherrel:
What I do, is dull coat the car first, then apply the dry powders with a brush. The powder adheres to the dull coat and pretty much stays in place. I use O'Brien's Weathering Powder, (from Micro-Mark), but any source of powder will do. FWIW: The older BB cars are my "practice" cars, before I take on weathering a $45.00 tangent car, for instance, but as Willie and Chet have stated, the Blue Box cars are the backbone of my fleet, and with minimal improvement they look and run great.

Greg - That lumber yard is an outstanding kit and I have one also. I cut scale strip wood 2 bys, to scale length to fill the lumber racks. Have seen it on so many layouts.

Joe - If you come up with an extra Erie Lackawanna car, let me know. I did manage to find an Accurail New Haven box cars and am a little disappointed with it. The graphics are excellent but so far as the rest of the kit goes, I prefer the old bb kits. Plastic wheels and no couplers except for plastic casting of dummys. I would have changed out the couplers and wheels any way, but rather chinsey.

By the way, the bacon is top quality. Not thin slices either, but nice thick slabs. Some of the best tasting bacon I have eaten. My daughter in law helps the restaurant with catering and her mom is the head chef and we get the bacon and sausage at cost. The bacon works out to about $2.50 a pound.

Greetings everyone, I've mainly been lurking but figured I better let y'all know I'm ok. Like Joe, I'm getting fed up with these winter temps.

Greg - that Hillside Lumber & Millwork kit really brings back some special memories! It was the very first structure kit I ever purchased after I got started in scale model railroading at age 13. It sat in the middle of a loop of track on my bedroom floor. It eventually wound up in my parents' attic when I joined the Navy and it got thrown away with a lot of other stuff when they were making space for a large fan.

I've been super busy as of late with painting and decalling a half-dozen new 60ft plug-door boxcars for use at my Ford plant. [Found out at my most recent p session that Ford never used any sliding-door boxcars.] That, and "life" chores, has hardly left any time for me to post here. I'll put up some photos once Bob has finished moving us over to the new server.

l am having such a problem posting photos that I have posted here previously, but here is what I did with the lumber yard. I scratch build a loading dock out of what sheet wood I had on hand, extending it from the lumber piles on the left clear ocer to the right past the farm supply building. This has to be over 25 years old.

Johnny, you can't have the fire truck.

b8cZPmH.jpg

Chet: The Lumber Yard looks great!

I'll likely doing some kit bashing with the addition of a corrugated roof, slightly larger sign since is in the background, wooden fence and termites. I just built that small shed to the right. So, I will end up with two sheds. I was also thinking of installing a mirror in the rear of the lumber shed to increase its apparent size. A LED in the roof will illuminate the interior.

Ran some errands for the wife and mailed my taxes. &*&$@!

Going to cut up an old BB SW 1500 for my junk yard.

More tasks for the funeral and the maybe an hour or so for the trains.

Greg

Afternoon All,

Spent most the day in the train room. I started attaching the 10' lengths of 2x8's. It took me 90 minutes to lay 1.5 inches. The platform is 20" long so I have many hours ahead of me laying planks although I may cheat for part of it that won't be able to be seen.

Joe- Nicely weathered box car.

Justin- Nice looking buildings.

Gary P- Excellent modeling.

Sherrel- Nice pictures.

Willie- Nice job so far on the empty spot.

Chet- I learned that if you bring food you have to share! I'm sending you my address for my share. LOL:D Nice layout shot.

Greg- Did I mention that I am scared to death of heights. I did not like the ladder work yesterday.

20180410_141032.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

CHET - I'll take 100 lbs of that bacon!!!
Been a long time for me having same; cheapest I can fine around here is like $4.56 at Wally World - maybe $3.85 at Costco in bulk!

Truck requires a new fuel pump .. just refused to run without hiccuping and even quitting at multiple times.
I repeat again: I am outliving all my "stuff" - wasn't planned that way!

Off to see the eyeglass doctor - looks as if I am going to have to get glasses - have outlived my eyeballs too!

Ya'll be good out there ... I'm goin to Hollywood: they're going to make a moderator outta me; yesterday I cud't even spell it!
Willis needs help! LOL

Good afternoon. 49° and somewhat sunny. It did warm up enough to apply Dullcote to a couple of box cars.

Joe - If you come up with an extra Erie Lackawanna car, let me know. I did manage to find an Accurail New Haven box cars and am a little disappointed with it. The graphics are excellent but so far as the rest of the kit goes, I prefer the old bb kits. Plastic wheels and no couplers except for plastic casting of dummys. I would have changed out the couplers and wheels any way, but rather chinsey.

Chet: Believe it or not, it's the only EL car in my fleet. I don't have any NH either, (except three passenger cars repainted for PC), Looking at what I have, it's mostly PRR, PC, Reading, B&O, CNJ, and Southern Ownership, a few Mid-Western and Far western, and short line Per Diem cars. Which is what the traffic flow was in that area. I'm short Canadian ownership box cars in pulp, and Pyrite ore service. Used to get a lot of CN Wooden Box cars loaded with ore from somewhere around the Artic Circle.

[Found out at my most recent p session that Ford never used any sliding-door boxcars.]

KenMD: For your era, that's true, except possibly, for tire cars, which may have been shipped in 50' assign serviced sliding door box cars. Of course, in previous eras, Auto parts cars were either 40', 50', or 60' sliding door boxes, and finished autos also traveled in sliding door box cars.

On my layout, the local Ford Plant had already closed, but the Spring supplier was still loading out cars for Metuchen and Mahwah Ford plants, in PRR and Reading 50' slide door box cars, until they closed sometime around 1968.

Good morning fellers. Nothing layout wise to update. I typically don't do much with my trains during the week. I seem to always let time slip away from me when I do. I'm pretty sure I can put the finishing touches on the gas station this morning. Geez all I have left is the gas pumps anyways. I take to the Heljan/Concor structures because I like their brick detail. When compared to other brick structures they just look better. I like the Walthers kits I just struggle painting them with out getting paint bleed. Even using painters tape and pressing it into any crevaces. I'll still have bleed through. I have two of the merchants row kits that I had hoped to use but my struggles with paint ended with me being fustrated and putting them back in the box.

Justin

Good morning everyone. 46 and clear, heading for 73 and sunny but windy today. A taste of spring. Except that winter will come back this weekend in the form of freezing temps at night and a possibility of snow flurries!!!?????? Coffee, please, and a chocolate doughnut!

Got back from Chicago yesterday. Great accreditation conference - these usually are. I stay at a friend's condo when in Chicago, and it's about a 5 block walk to the conference hotel. Walking everyday in below freezing temps (23 one day) leaves me more than ready for spring and summer!!!

Got home, kissed my wife, and spiked down some track:eek:

Gary P - some nice photos of your layout.
Willie - I like those details on the farm and switch tower
Chet - Rats, but OK about the fire truck. Did you get my payment for the shipping on the ice house?

So back to work today, but i'll be taking some time off this week. Got to stop by the LHS and the DIY stores. I need to do some outdoor work so the layout will have to take second place for a while. Got to finish the Cape Cod house that's half-built, then I have four new structure kits that came in last week. Got to finish the last 3-foot section of roadbed and track on the expanded mainline and wire up the last turnout on that section.

I guess I'll see all of you on the rebound, after the changes are made to the website.
have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 48° this morning; going up to 80° later today and for the rest of the week as well. Rain and cooler temperatures Saturday are in the forecast. High winds return today, expecting three days of 25 -30 mph southerly winds. Eventually that brings enough humidity up from the Gulf for Saturday's rain. Garden is mostly looking good, I've been picking and eating spinach, asparagus, lettuce, broccoli and three radishes. Some animal ate all of the other radishes! Disaster this past weekend when a frost got all of the tomato plants despite being covered. Fortunately I only had 12 planted with the other 60 in the house. We normally don't have freezes in April, but it is not unheard of. Possibility of another one this coming Saturday.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I planted trees around the latest farm and elsewhere on the layout. Did some more freight car weathering since I had everything already out. I also started fabricating the fenceposts for the next section of barbed-wire fencing that I will be installing. Barbed-wire and chain link fencing are both rather labor intensive and I need a lot of both.
Here's a couple of pictures of the Windsor Hotel kit that I recently assembled.
04-10-18 007.JPG04-10-18 010.JPG
There's some minor fixes that I still need to address, like the trim that isn't quite long enough, and it will need to be weathered. That will come after I determine it's exact location; surrounded by concrete or dirt, or whatever that will determine the level of weathering. I still plan on using it as "City Hall" in a small rural town that is planned but not yet built. There's one that's very similar to this in a small town about 15 miles from me, except that it is brick instead of wood.
Thanks for the comments on yesterday's pictures, Chet, Greg, Joe, Curt, Johnny and anyone that I may have missed.

Justin - Those Heljan/ConCor kits are quite nice. I have that one as well as several others scattered around the layout. Regarding the Walther's kits. Even though it is quite time consuming, I paint the windows by hand with a very small brush. I'll do 8-10 at a time, then come back the next day and do some more.
Chet - Maybe trade barbed wire fencing for bacon and sausage? ;)
Greg - Yes, the Atlas lumberyard is a really old kit. It's one of my oldest structures, surviving three previous layouts since I got it in the mid-80's. I need to do a little rehab work on the sign, but it still looks good for a 30+ year old plastic structure. I would post a picture of it, but it's not currently worthy of one.
Joe - I have a few BB cars on a storage track that I pull off when I get inspired to upgrade a freight car. They all have Kadees and most have metal wheels already, but I like to give them some weathering and occasionally I will replace the stirups. As I may have already posted, I have several hundred of them in my 800 car fleet.
Sherrel -
I am outliving all my "stuff" - wasn't planned that way!
Beats the alternative doesn't it? Glasses - not there yet except for readers. Something else to keep up with.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Howdy ...

Very briefly because Im expecting an important phone call shortly.

My appointments with the heart clinic went well yesterday. Echocardiogram showed no further deterioration of my heart failure in past 7 years, and I'm pleased with that.

The bridge near our house was dynamited this morning, and it was very loud.

Willie ... Thanks for commenting yesterday about the bridge... It is a series of spans which are 4' long.

Greg WI .... The Atlas lumber yard will be nice addition to your layout.

Johnny ..... We are interested in riding on the scenic dinner train at Branson. I think you live near that. Have you been on it? If so, what do you think of it ?

The forum software upgrade is about to happen, and I may wait until it is completed to be here.

Meanwhile ..... Everybody : Happy Model Railroading !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back