Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny ..... We are interested in riding on the scenic dinner train at Branson. I think you live near that. Have you been on it? If so, what do you think of it ?

GARRY - I hear good reviews of the dinner train ride, but have not been on it myself.

Good morning. 43 degrees with light rain. Accuweather is threatening to make my rock while instead of wet. We'll see what happens.

Johnny, haven't received anything yet. Did check the mail yesterday but did receive a lot of the Woodland Scenics LED lighting items. Still have the street lamps on the way and they should be here within the next few days. Greg really likes them so I thought I would give it a shot.

20180410_155812.jpg

Willie - The hotel will be quite the addition to you railroad. Nicely done.

Joe - I don't know why I have been having such a hard time finding cars from eastern railroads. I did manage to find that New Haven car after a lot of searching. With so many railroad operating during the transition era in the eastern states, they are quite scarce. I did got a few more cars in yesterday to help fill the void, but room is getting scarce to keep them on the layout. There will be a train show at the Northern Pacific depot in Livingston on April 28 so I am hoping that I can get rid of some of the equipment that I don't run much and is taking up a lot of room.

Justin - Enjoyed that video. Always like watching steam in action.

Sherrel - I sure hope the fuel pump solves the problem for you.

Here's a rail photo for the day.

97edc1eed8853a571ed0a11536d3c1dc.jpg

Later

Attachments

• 20180410_155812.jpg
    20180410_155812.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Everyone....Sunny and cold here in Wisconsin.

Chet: You'll really like the lighting effects from the street lights. They can be dimmed to any intensity. I found that I had to slightly twist the light fixture to get the right angle of the LED for viewing. But, be careful the fixture are fragile!!! The vehicles with their lighted head and tail lights are great too. I have a WS car, a truck and yet to install police cruiser with its operating beacon and other lights.

I used the WS LED to illuminate the interior of an Atlas yard tower.

I still like incandescent lamps for building exteriors.

On the DIY channel there was a family who build a home, off the grid, near Livingston, MT.

KD released, years ago, a bunch of Eastern Roads some of which are basically unknown to many. (I would have to check my collection to see what roads were offered.)

One of my goals is to run the layout without room lights and use just the building, signals and locomotives for lighting. A member of a different forum built a mine scene in a room different than the layout. The only lighting was from the layout lighting. Very effective.

That's all for now.

Greg

Good Morning Everyone....Sunny and cold here in Wisconsin.

Chet: You'll really like the lighting effects from the street lights. They can be dimmed to any intensity. I found that I had to slightly twist the light fixture to get the right angle of the LED for viewing. But, be careful the fixture are fragile!!! The vehicles with their lighted head and tail lights are great too. I have a WS car, a truck and yet to install police cruiser with its operating beacon and other lights.

I used the WS LED to illuminate the interior of an Atlas yard tower.

I still like incandescent lamps for building exteriors.

On the DIY channel there was a family who build a home, off the grid, near Livingston, MT.

KD released, years ago, a bunch of Eastern Roads some of which are basically unknown to many. (I would have to check my collection to see what roads were offered.)

One of my goals is to run the layout without room lights and use just the building, signals and locomotives for lighting. A member of a different forum built a mine scene in a room different than the layout. The only lighting was from the layout lighting. Very effective.

That's all for now.

Greg

I am trying to figure which building to light with the 2 lights that came with the Hub set. Possibly the passenger station and the other one is up for grabs. I like the lights on the "wood" poles. I have homes for them.I have three sets of 3 of the arched cast iron lights on the way. It will be a learning experience trying to light the interior of some of the buildings also. Guess I'll have to experiment and play it by ear. I will have to say that they are probably one of the closest to scale size lights also.

I did see that show of the off grid home near Livingston. That had another off grid house south of Livingston near Gardiner, MT also.

The building LED lighting by WS is amazingly bright, yet dimmable.

I am a firm believer in LED lamps and have the Tomar dwarf signs that are Green over Red to indicate my turnout(s) positions. They are wired directly to my Tortoise switch machines.

Greg

Good morning all,

A couple of nice weather days in store for Central Illinois. Mid to upper 60s through Saturday.......then the bottom falls out on Sunday back to the 30s with rain/snow mix.

A question for the group. In code 83 track, is there a turnout that can be used on a double mainline for a crossover (L&R) that will give proper track spacing without adding the small piece between the two? I hope i explained that correctly.

You could always look at a double crossover.

Another good reason why I stay away from ebay if I can. Was thinking about getting the pond going by the mobile home. Haven't finished looking for a bottle of Woodland Scenics Water Effects I think I have yet.

ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodland-S...401196&hash=item2f167d91c3:g:cO4AAOSwQwdak0CG

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-C1212-Water-Effects/dp/B000B6OSWE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523464589&sr=8-3&keywords=woodland+scenics+water&dpID=413FB27uJML&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Really ??????

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always look at a double crossover.

Another good reason why I stay away from ebay if I can. Was thinking about getting the pond going by the mobile home. Haven't finished looking for a bottle of Woodland Scenics Water Effects I think I have yet.

ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodland-S...401196&hash=item2f167d91c3:g:cO4AAOSwQwdak0CG

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-C1212-Water-Effects/dp/B000B6OSWE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523464589&sr=8-3&keywords=woodland+scenics+water&dpID=413FB27uJML&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Really ??????
I know I'm not paying $32 for that. I can get it at my lhs for less than Amazon too. I'm overdue for a stop in there.

Justin

We're taking this show on the road tonight!

Here's the new temporary coffee shop for the next few days:
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/running-bears-mobile-coffee-shop.13165/

Stop by and say hello.

We'll move things back here and pick up where we left off once the upgrade work is done.

Bob - I have an account over there that I established in Aug 2017. I forgot what my password is and have used the forgot password system but I haven't seen a message come through. I'm using my screen name that I have here: D&J Railroad.

Afternoon All,

The rain of the last 2 days is gone. Got in a couple of hours putting down "planks" this morning. I stopped for lunch and SIL called and said his painting job was cancelled so he will get the boys. Based on that it was back to the train room. Today I put down 4 more inches for a total of 5.5 inches or about 25% complete. Tomorrow I'm driving up to see Jon and Phil and afterwards Son and I are going to the gun range.

Willie- Great looking building. Is it from AMB?

Garry- Great news about the heart.

Chet- Great rail shot. I get a lot of stuff off of Ebay, but the key is comparison shopping that also includes shipping costs.

Greg- I like running trains at "night" also.

I hope everyone has a good night and I'll talk to you in the new forum.

Curt - I do buy some items on ebay, but a lot more on Amazon. We have Amazon Prime so shipping is free. I got all of the Woodland Scenic lighting items on Amazon at prices discounted from retail. I also got a lot of my Classic Metal Works vehicles there also.

Not being close to a large city, we purchase a lot of items on Amazon that aren't available locally. I do prefer shopping at the mom and pop shops, but the selection is limited. I try to avoid the big box stores if possible. Don't thing I've to to Wally World in over 10 years. I did purchase out kitchen appliances at Home Depot, but again, they had a larger selection than the very few local appliance stores. We have a couple of excellent lumber yard/hardware stores in our area that are locally owned and they are always my first choice on places to go.

Nice video Justin. Thank for the post and hope some day you'll be able to model something like that.

Catch you guys when the forum is back up/

Later

I tired logging in at the alternative coffee shop, and was not able to do so.

I mentioned the old bridge was dynamited close to our house this morning.

Here is a photo from a work site camera of the remains of the old bridge.

40500701655_bedf8afe64_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back