Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon .

Can someone help me remember Big E’s last name ? I can’t remember.

Sherrel... uh oh. You admit you are in leftist country. You have my sympathies .

Karl and Ken in MD . .. sounds like fun times. Steel mill switching could be busy .

Thanks , Curt and Chet.

I was thinking that was his name An editor at MR has the same name , and I was starting to get confused. It’s a coincidence.

Yes. You guys are correct on his name. Again, I have read every one of these comments. Even the smallest kindness is appreciated. Chet - I remember now from your username and profile that Eric told me about you last summer when we were driving out to GNP (literally our favorite hiking/vacation destination) last summer. I just searched my email and found Eric's message to me.

"One of my best railroader friends live in MT. Gallatin Gateway if I recall. He has a MONSTER layout." :) [The smiley face is mine. I doubt Eric ever used those.]

D- Eric's influence on the members of this forum is amazing. I usually lurk on the forum and read most posts without comment. However, Eric made so much sense with his opinions that he brought many of us joy and amusement. I, for one, will sorely miss his biting commentary and insights about the aspirations of some people he came into contact with. I found he grew as a modeler and as a mentor to others during his participation on this forum. Thank you for sharing Eric with us!

Good evening, y'all. Like everyone else here, I'm having a bit of a problem processing Eric's passing. He possessed a unique perspective on life, that impressed me, and his determination to win his battle against Cancer inspired me. I suppose he served his purpose on earth and it was his time to go home, but I will miss him, and his humor. Someone, I think it was Greg, mentioned that Eric was in many ways similar to our friend Jeffery, and I tend to agree. I also feel we are all better off for getting to know each of these fine gentlemen. Again, RIP Eric.

Joe

Good evening, y'all. Like everyone else here, I'm having a bit of a problem processing Eric's passing. He possessed a unique perspective on life, that impressed me, and his determination to win his battle against Cancer inspired me. I suppose he served his purpose on earth and it was his time to go home, but I will miss him, and his humor. Someone, I think it was Greg, mentioned that Eric was in many ways similar to our friend Jeffery, and I tend to agree. I also feel we are all better off for getting to know each of these fine gentlemen. Again, RIP Eric.

Joe

Joe ..... I'm having very similar thoughts. ... Maybe, there is a way to honor Eric as was done for Running Bear when the Coffee Shop was named for him..... Not sure what to suggest, however.

I haven't been on this site very long but I do know that Eric was one of the good posters. I responded to several of his 'beer run' posts and never knew that his passing would be so damn soon. I will miss him and his humor. Rest well Sir, you will be remembered.

Early Morning for me!
Woke up thinking of ERIC .. still in bewilderment!

It rained most all of the day yesterday, but it was a very "shallow?" rain - what most of you would call a drizzle. I have not checked my bucket rain gauge to see approximately what came down, but "we" are appreciative of whatever we happen to get.
Temp is currently 52* going up to 66* today - sky is overcast. More or less an oddity yesterday - the low was 52 and the high was 60 ...
we normally have a 30-50 degree swing during the day.

Monday is on tap for trying to get in to see a dentist! I was eating a sandwich yesterday and lost two teeth from my upper denture. One of them I accidently swallowed ... so now I get to spend what I saved on the car and give it to the dentist!

Good Morning All. 61° and mostly cloudy. It's later than I think! Weather today isn't going to be the greatest like the last two days. Temperature will remain in the low 60's but we will have very stiff 20 mph winds out of the north. Upper 30's at night for a few days. The chimney sweep came by yesterday and did his thing. I posted that my wife didn't want me on the roof any more because she thinks I'm too old; this guy is 71 and has Parkinson's Disease! Well he probably weighs 100 lbs less than me and is considerably more nimble.:cool: He mentioned that his wife didn't want him on roofs any more either, but they needed an income. He confided that like many folks, he did so much work off the books and didn't pay any SS over the years, that he received only $800/month. Got the cleaning done just in time, because I am going to have to have a fire at night for the next couple of days.
Out in the train shed, I continued to ballast track and add ground cover. Not much as life's other activities took some time. I have ballasted as far as I have painted track so that's done for now. I also started positioning the selected farmhouse to see which pose I like best. I like Sam's suggestion regarding having a small family grave area in the scene and I am looking at all of my fence stashes to find an appropriate one to use. However many of the ones that I see around here don't actually have standing fences any more. Might remember to take pictures later today of the progress.

Garry - Thanks for sending the Chapel car.
Chet - Snow collecting on the TV dish is another thing that I don't have to deal with here!:cool:
Sherrel - My, you're up early this morning. Sorry to hear of the tooth issue. I went with implants rather than dentures with good luck so far. However I did have a crown break earlier this year. My mouth cost more than my house (1981 cost)!

I will be remembering Eric at Mass this morning.
Everybody have a great day. I didn't lose an hour of sleep, but will lose an hour of awake later today!

Willie

Garry: I agree something should be done to honor Eric's memory, But I have no real idea how to. The Coffee Shop is sort of committed to Jeffrey's memory. I personally don't like the way they honor departed members on the MR Forum, but that may be because I perceive that group less friendly. This is something I feel we need to consider, for several reasons, mainly that at some point it's going to happen again.

Monday is on tap for trying to get in to see a dentist! I was eating a sandwich yesterday and lost two teeth from my upper denture. One of them I accidently swallowed ... so now I get to spend what I saved on the car and give it to the dentist!

You swallowed your tooth? Well, I guess if you could recover it, you wouldn't want to use it again.

Sherrel: That must have been a "Hard" roll on that sandwich :rolleyes:

Every time I walk into a Dentist's office, I want to grab my wallet and run. dental work doesn't phase me, but the cost of it does. and having insurance just increases your level of need for treatment.:rolleyes: Sort of walking into the Jewelry store, You just know that you're going to be fleeced. Right now, I have partials held in place by crowns, so you know somethings going to give. Implants supposedly have come down in price, but so has their reliability. The alternative, is a full plate with stick-um to hold them down. Damned if you do...

It's daylight time, which means for another three weeks I'll be getting up in the dark again. I really don't see any advantage to daylight time. Since there was a pronouncement that daylight Savings time has been in effect for a hundred years, I suppose it's with us forever, and I may as well get over it.

It's going to be nice today, with temperatures in the 40s, then we get another taste of winter.:(

Today, I'll file the state return and the tax relief form. We generally qualify in March, then when the state budget comes out in July, we suddenly no longer qualify. But, I still go through the motions just in case :rolleyes:

Have a nice Sunday!

Good Morning everyone...Sunny and chilly here in Wisconsin.

Going down to the train in a few minutes or so. Was down in the layout room yesterday until my Sister In Law stopped for a short visit, she's in from Arizona for a couple of days. Left home on late Thursday and will return today at 4:00 PM. She is a MD with her own clinic so time off is rare.

Had a problem with my Digitrax DCC system. No throttle response or control. Finally figured the problem out on my own and then also found a solution on Digitrax's website. The booster was "Off Line" and the problem was similar to what Tony had experience several months ago with his DT402 throttle. Always learning something new. Today, working a device to hold rolling stock in place on two sidings that have a slight grade. Going to use a N scale Caboose ground throw and modify with a rod to act as a brake.

Other projects include cleaning projects, running my CenterLine track cleaners with ACT-6006 and washing a structure prior to painting.

Sherrel: Sorry to hear about your two missing teeth. Remember, you should have 30 teeth left so what's wrong with missing just two? Or, maybe a little AC to glue the tooth in place and then make a replacement tooth out of hyrocal for the other.

Willie: Along Instate 41 in Wisconsin between Fond du Lac and Oshkosh, there is a small family grave site with maybe 5 or 6 markers. The site is along the right of way of 41 with a few old bushes growing around the markers. Some of the markers are very nice so the family must of been somewhat affluent. A road dead-ends at the grave site and at one time the road must of continued on and I'm guessing that 41 sits over the old homestead. A family grave site is rare to see in Wisconsin.

That's all for now.

Greg

#######################

Good morning. It's cloudy and 43, with snow later tonight and into tomorrow.
My wife's torn muscles are causing her misery. I had pulled a pair of my old crutches out of the attic, and she was moving with them, albeit at a glacial pace. I had a commitment to travel to York, SC, for an RV function (they parked the trailers up and down the main drag through town, called "Silver in the City"), and we loaded up her car to make the trek.
Unfortunately, the car suffered a failure on the road, and we had to return and use the truck, which is much more difficult for her to get in and out of. The remainder of the trip was uneventful, other than the traffic through Charlotte (I have nicknamed it "Little Atlanta"). We had fun at the function, and I was able to diagnose the car when we got home. It says it wants a new pair of VVT control solenoids.
My wife abandoned the crutches in favor of the walker she used when she first had the stroke. She says it works much better, and she'll use it in the house.
I'm off to the grocery store, then the auto parts store, hoping the new $100+ of parts will fix the car. I really houldn't complain, it's the first thing other than tires and brake pads I've had to replace. It just happened to be at the same time we spent $$$ for the doctor.

Terry: Never fails, when you have one unintended expense, you usually have three or four unintended expenses. At least your wife is getting around better with the walker. Torn muscles are painful, but not insurmountable. And you will have the car running again shortly. That's a bonus.

I was not impressed with Charlotte traffic, the one time I drove through there mid day. Come to think of it, Nashville's no prize either. They rank right up there with Metro DC and a toothache.

Hope things get better.

Good Afternoon All,

Watching the boys today, but they're outside now. I will find a location on my layout and name it after Eric like I did for Jeffrey after he passed.

Garry- Thank you. That first picture is a metaphor for most FL drivers.

Chet- Thank you. A Pennsy car is always a good choice.

Terry- Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she gets some pain relief soon. I have driven through Charlotte 6 times and it has s****d every time.

Karl- Sounds like a fun time at Ken's for ops night.

Sherrel- It's always something that costs $$$.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back