Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 35° and clear. At least the wind abated considerably. While nights will be chilly for a couple of days, the days will be pleasantly in the 65° - 80° temperature range for the next ten days. Spring finally!
So out in the train shed, I started to do some more scenery when I looked up and noticed a drooping coupler on a freight car on the upper level. Took it over to the workbench to fix it, then had to test it. Well that led to running more trains and scenery was forgotten. I have been making progress though, painting and ballast is completed on the four tracks in the targeted area, ground cover including gravel drive is completed around the switch tower and there are additional areas of ground foam in place. I have trees ready but I won't install them until later so I don't crush them in the meantime. The parking lot for the distribution center is painted but not yet striped, and the distribution center itself has been upgraded.

The subject of honoring Eric was discussed in this thread yesterday. I intend to name something on my layout in his honor, whether it be a business establishment (beer store?) or a physical location like a junction or a creek. Wish that I had a mountain; that would be most appropriate. I was more familiar with Jeffery (Running Bear) on other forums as well as being a member of his own fledgling forum, so I am not as knowledgeable regarding his contributions here. Just a random thought here. Should we consider retiring the "Running Bear" name and rename the Coffee Shop "The Big E" for a while. It's inevitable that we will face this again in the future and it may be appropriate to set a precedent now. Remember that this is just a thought intended to provoke a civil discussion. It is not intended to take anything away from the memory of Jeffery or his modeling.

Joe - I really don't get into the MR forum much, but your comment yesterday got me looking. I am not sure whether I agree or disagree with you, yet! I'll have to look and see some more.
I do however agree on dental work, it's the cost rather than the process that fazes me more. I have found though, that my implants (8) work exceedingly well, and other than a crown that broke, all of those (9) have been successful as well. I wasn't really in favor of removable dentures personally.
Greg - Thanks for your description of the family graveyard. While I have decided to go ahead with the idea, I am still envisioning different scenarios and appreciate the additional input. In most rural counties here in Texas, family graveyards are still legal with proper documentation to the property deed. I am familiar with two recent ones, and I am aware of many older ones.
Terry - "VVT control solenoids" ? Had to look that one up! I guess that I have them on my 2009 Honda Civic, but that's not something that I had on my 1961 VW Beetle. I do wish your wife the best with her recovery. It won't be quick though. Even at the young age of 50, I was in misery for 10-12 weeks, partly because of my reluctance to take prescription pain relief medication. Don't like the constant drowsiness.
2WD pickup trucks are not renowned for their winter traction
Familiar sight here during wintry weather is a tarp-covered pallet of animal feed in the backs of 2WD pickups.
William - Thanks for checking in and updating us on Carey. Good to hear that you are doing well also. I look forward to hearing from you more regularly when you fix that lack of modeling!
Sam - Wow! A nickel and ten pennies. You were more well off than my family! Sherrel though, swallows $800 teeth!:confused:
Garry - Now that was funny.

Daylight Savings. I have gotten up in the dark for over 45 years now, so that isn't really an issue and I like that time of day/night anyway. With daylight savings, I go to bed while the sun is still out and my wife needles me about that. Of course I ignore her and every once in a while I reach over and pat her as I am getting up at 0400.

Everybody have a great day. To those of us who are Irish, it's the first day of St. Patrick's Week.

Willie

Good morning everyone. 33 and cloudy here in SW MO hitting 46 this afternoon. Spring seems to be coming, though, with temps in the 70's by the weekend.

D (Eric's little brother) - Dang it all - I rarely get on the forum from Friday noon until Monday morning, so I missed the news of Eric's passing and the discussions since then. I never met Eric in person, but through this forum I think we all got to know him quite well. Like everyone else, I thought he was winning this battle and getting better. I want to express my condolences to you and the family, D. Sorry these words are late. Man, it hurts to lose a valued member of this forum, especially one with a wit like Eric's. Rest in peace, MRR Friend.
Greg, Willie, any others I may have missed - Thanks for the tip on using Scenic Accents Glue for putting people in their place :rolleyes:

Well, we kept our 1.5 year-old granddaughter again Friday night and had the usual riot with her. I'll tell you, dancing, twisting, and jumping to children's music with her will kill me yet :D. Had a gang of nine relatives over for lunch Saturday, and got to show off the layout and run some trains for them.

Making progress on the Cape Cod house build and putting roads in the town. Now I'm into rearranging some of the industries and finding it makes more sense to move them to different places.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning fellers. Got an early 5:30 wake up call this morning from the local school system. "Schools will be closed during to snow." Wait! What? Snow?!!! Look outside sure enough 4 inches of snow on the ground! In March!!!! I didn't even know we were getting any snow. Yesterday was a straight wear t-shirts outside kinda day. Bipolar weather we are having here in West Virginia. Now I have to sweep my truck off before work.

Justin

Good morning, y'all. 32° and sunny, with winter weather tonight.

I was surprised you did not think favorably of what the do in the MR Diner.

Garry: It's my perception. Not the same atmosphere as we have here, that's all. I always feel I'm walking on eggs over there.

I made some more progress on my first background building, the one with a fake railroad door. needs some touch up and then glazing. Photos soon.
Taxes are filed :)

Terry: I rarely use E-Bay, just for that reason. I suspect that the vendor really doesn't understand the rules of commerce, or he wouldn't send you what he did. There is a difference between incompetence and deceit. Neither of which builds good customer satisfaction.

Justin: Nice job on the church. Looks perfect for your layout.

this too shall pass!

LOL. Good one Karl!

Speaking of dentists, wife needs to go soon, and I probably do also. Should be interesting to see what the pitch is this time. :rolleyes:

On honoring Eric, I agree we should do something to remember him, I'm at a loss as to what though.

Willie: On the MR forum, like I said to Garry, it's my perception, not a condemnation. Y'all may see it differently, the regulars over there do...
on implants, for sure, they are the way to go. it's the cost of in-planting them, that scares me. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning everyone....overcast in Wisconsin. Had a good afternoon in the layout room yesterday. Drilled mounting holes in the sides of a background building to install lighting after painting the structure. Broke a wall mounted light fixture while doing a test fit. One of a set of three. Guess I'll buy another set of lights from Walthers. Today, the building gets washed to remove dust and mold release chemicals prior to painting.

Used liquid window glazing to add glass to a kit bashed Atlas yard tower. The glazing is almost like white glue, applies white and dries clear. Will install a nano-LED for interior lighting.

Wanted a Woodland Scenics light police car and they ere on sale for $22.95. Then, the price went back to the normal so I was waiting for a sale price again. Well anyway, I found a WS police car in my LED supply drawer. Remembered I purchased one in early winter!!! Old age.

Going back to the layout room this afternoon. Measuring for last piece of track for a spur and paint the rails and solder feeders at the work bench. Then, maybe install the track.

Now on to Walthers' online website to find the part number for the lighting.

Thanks.

Greg

###############################

Morning from ZOO land!

50 degrees headed to 76 today with partly sunny skies - YAY! We managed to accumulate about an inch of rain from the all day drizzle. I took the kids out for a nice long walk in the "riverbed" behind the row of houses across the street - it was mostly dry, but Charlie managed to find one small puddle to wade around in necessitating a wash-off before he could come back in.

Out of eggs, butter, and milk this morning - so 'm off to the store - later guys.

Willie: The "beer store" idea gave me a smile. :)

Johnny (and others who commented earlier that I missed): Thanks! You guys (any ladies here?) seem like a really good group of people. I especially like that you are in the ANPL. I'm a telescope hobbyist and dealing with some of the more "uptight" folks can really drive a person away from joining a community (either virtual or "in real life").

D

GREG - "Used liquid window glazing to add glass to a kit bashed Atlas yard tower. The glazing is almost like white glue, applies white and dries clear. Will install a nano-LED for interior lighting. "

I bought a tube of the liquid window glazing some time ago and used it once and messed everything up. Any tips and tricks you can give me on how to make things come out neat and clean?

A late good morning. Started off at 21 degrees and we should get up into the mid 40's again this after. The glaciers around the driveway are receding. Nice to take the week off to get some chores done and relax. Saturday we put new struts and brakes on my sons Subaru which ate up a good part of the day. The wife is off to San Antonio for getting more training for the upgrade on their bookkeeping program. She's not happy with the traffic down there at all. There are hotels within 3 miles of the company she's working with and they picked one out 25 miles away. Might have been a nice idea to do a bit of research.

I have a lot of posts to catch up on from the weekend. I'm still really bummed out that I never returned Eric's call last week. I will miss him. I wish I could have met him in person.

Guess we can call Sherrel snaggletooth. All things work out in the end.

L&N Castle - Thanks for the update on Corey. We talked a number of times on the phone and I even sent him some code 70 rail I wasn't going to use. Nice to have you stop by. Don't be a stranger.

Terry - Another bad ebay experience. I don't go there very much and so far I have been lucky with my purchases.

Willie - I can relate to getting distracted and running trains. Before the race yesterday, I had brought some scenery items down to the train room with all good intentions of getting some work done. Phil had sent an SCL box car to add some more east coast freight cars. Put metal wheels on it and decided to check out it and the B&M box car. Ended up running trains.

20180310_132819.jpg 20180310_134320.jpg 20180310_134700.jpg

I will have to say that the B&M car certainly is colorful. Like it. I will also name something on my layout after Eric. He is still on my mind a lot.

Justin - 4" of snow and the schools close. Up here 4" is considered flurries. Like the church.

Got a few things to take care of.

Later.

Afternoon All,

Been wet and drizzly all day. Did some chores this morning and then went to the train room for awhile. I decided to rename my container terminal as you can see in the photos.

I don't know what to do for Eric in the coffee shop but I will go along with the majority. I think something should be done for him.

Justin- Nice looking church.

Willie- If you're contemplating a graveyard I would suggest a small church or chapel also. My F-I-L is buried in a church cemetery out in the sticks of SC. It is all off of a dirt road. The cemetery is not large but it has markers from the Civil War.

Terry- That seller is ridiculous.

Johnny- If I am "glassing" my own widows I have started using a thin hard clear plastic that I cut off the front of a folder I bought at Staples. Think school reports with the top being a clear page. I attach with white glue after cutting to size.

Chet- Nice layout pics.

20180312_131422.jpg

20180312_131444.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

GREG - "Used liquid window glazing to add glass to a kit bashed Atlas yard tower. The glazing is almost like white glue, applies white and dries clear. Will install a nano-LED for interior lighting. "

I bought a tube of the liquid window glazing some time ago and used it once and messed everything up. Any tips and tricks you can give me on how to make things come out neat and clean?
Put a good-sized deop on the end of a toothpick. Touch the drop of glue to the edge of the window area, and pull it across the opening. It will dry nearly clear.
Oh, I use Elmers glue for windows...

Playing catchup.

Justin: Nice church you have there. Your post made the song "He's got the whole world in His hands" pop into my head

Terry: I use ebay on occasion and have had good experiences. I mostly only deal with sellers that have thousands of sales and 99% or higher ratings. However, I still hold my breath until the product arrives and I can see what I got.

I have been trying to learn some things, especially since I know nothing. I purchased some Peco 83 flex track, cork roadbed, a Peco Electrofrog TO, a NCE Power Cab, a Tortoise switch machine, and a whole lot of other stuff. My thinking is to learn small and then build big. Hours of research online with this site, youboob, books, and others to try and fill in the many blanks I have, and still have, about this hobby. I built a power supply from a PC PS to power the switch machines and maybe some other lights, etc. I have the means now to wire up a DPDT switch with LED indicators, power the Tortoise and the frog, and run the DCC two locos that I have. The layout will be small to say the least. One TO, maybe six feel of track but it will allow me to put into practice what I have got a handle on so far, at least that is my hope. The example will required all of the wiring, feeders, track laying, switching, and construction of the big version. Maybe by the time I finish this I will have a working track plan. Yeah, right.

SHERREL- All of us have at one time or another, done something that later bit us in the ass. But you my friend have gone to the extreme. Hope it/they don't get stuck somewhere.

Phil

Sam, the seller has several thousand feedback rating, with a couple hundred negatives. Almost all the negatives are similar to mine. Either they never got the item, or it was wrong or damaged, and the seller refused to make it right in any way.

Well at least my eBay story is better. I did receive my microscale decals today. I try to do business with sellers I've dealt with before. So I purchased from a known seller. So I can focus on my SD40 project again.

Justin

Howdy. ...

I spent almost three hours this morning in the dentist chair. It took a while after that to close my mouth.

Terry. ... you had yet another adventure with mail order. This time , it was the seller instead of the Poat Office. Hopefully future internet transactions are better for you .

Justin ... I like the church.

Willie ... I like the idea of naming a beer store after Eric .

Curt ... naming your container terminal after Eric is also a good idea .

Maybe , I should name my brewery after Eric. Was there ever a White Brewing Company ? On second thought , I would have to be careful with slogans or the PC Police would be upset .

Joe ... I may have misunderstood you. I thought you did not care for how the Diner in the MR Forum honored model railroaders who passed away. Now I see you feel the forum can be unfriendly. It can be that way. I think it is moderated very closely because Kalmbach wants to protect its image. Some of the jokes here would be removed if posted there. ... actually , I like model train people as a whole . I think our hobby has mostly good people.

Good afternoon. We got all the way up to 50 degrees this afternoon. The snow is slowly melting off.

Went down to the train room for a while and ran trains. Guess that's why we build layouts, right Willie?

Here's the blacksmith shop that I built probably close to 20 years ago and never used.

20180312_123429.jpg

I will probably position it about where it is and then the trailer house by Woodland Scenics that I ordered from Walthers will go about where the travel trailer is sitting. There is a depression off to the left and I may turn that into a pond. I have pretty well run out of room for any structures and this I hope will give the feeling of a rural area.

20180312_123333.jpg 20180312_123345.jpg

Catch you all later.

Garry, I live in a place that has a lot of people, but there doesn't seem to be a lot as far as sources of "stuff" of any kind.

As for the liquor store idea, how about "White's Beer and Grocery"?

Terry ... I think E Commerce has taken over much of traditional retail business. It is hard to find stuff you want even in large cities.

Now I think I could use a name like “ Big E Brewing Company “ instead of “ White Brewing Company”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe ... I may have misunderstood you. I thought you did not care for how the Diner in the MR Forum honored model railroaders who passed away. Now I see you feel the forum can be unfriendly. It can be that way. I think it is moderated very closely because Kalmbach wants to protect its image. Some of the jokes here would be removed if posted there. ... actually , I like model train people as a whole . I think our hobby has mostly good people.

Garry: See how easy it is for me to get myself into trouble? :rolleyes: The people over there are good people, just like over here. Some fellows occasionally post here also. The difference is the atmosphere created by the close moderation. That's why I define that group as unfriendly, not because of the participants.

Chet: Your layout is beginning to reflect the influx of people into Montana. Soon, you will have to demolish old buildings to build new ones. :rolleyes:

Terry and Garry: E-commerce not withstanding, stuff is generally available if you know where to look. I was amazed what Amtrak Mechanical could find off the shelf. They knew where to look. OTOH, modelers have become accustomed to depend on traditional suppliers, who are no longer readily available. If Walthers doesn't have it E-Bay becomes the prime source...what about Amazon? Micro-Mark has lots of stuff, so does NWSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back