Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, Garry ... Out of all the places I have lived - which is way too many, New Jersey has to be the toughest on auto inspections! California seems to only care about their stingy smog test even if you only have three tires on the vehicle, where New Jersey, when I lived there, would not even allow a parking sticker on the windscreen and checked if your headlights were aimed correctly!

RIP Eric - BigE

Hi everyone,

I'm not a regular here so I'm sorry if this is the incorrect place to post this, but I wanted to let you all know that my brother, Eric ("BigE" on here) passed away last night. I don't know much more than it appears that he went in his sleep. I'm sure for those of you who knew him, you knew his health was not good.

I just wanted to let you know that all of you (as far as I could tell :) ) meant the world to Eric. He was something of a "loner," but he would tell me frequently about his train buddies sending him stuff or even stopping by in Georgia to look at this layout. You guys really kept him going through some terrible times while he was having radiation treatments, etc. Also, I wanted to say just how much returning to the hobby of model RR brought life back into him just a few years ago.

Since my account is brand new, I don't know if I can upload an image, but I'm including an old photo of Eric working on his layout in our basement. This is how I remember my big brother.

D (Eric always called me "D")

Eric-1.jpg

Auto inspection? What auto inspection? Nothing but a revenue enhancement. No inspection up here. If you don't keep your vehicle up, you could find your a** on the side of the road in a blizzard.

Afternoon All,

Started with some chores this morning then I finished up the parking lot then made 3 sets of "concrete" steps.

Garry- Interesting having a drying car after the CMX car. I remember using Acetone to clean track as a kid but use lacquer thinner now. Love the weathering on the diesels.

Willie- I would go with a patch of trees.

Chet- Nice B&M boxcar. Nice rusty track photo. It would be good to use as a prototype.

Johnny- I use a tiny dab of cheap caulk. Spray it with RA and it loosens up to remove the tiny person.

Sherrel- I'm sure money lubricated the politicians hands for that decision. No inspections in FL, but when we were in SC you could count on having to pay for headlight adjustment for a safety sticker. I hate when I get screwed and can't do anything about it.:mad:

20180309_141616.jpg

20180309_141633.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt - I'm with Garry, a nice paving job.

Garry - Those two are in pretty good shape.

Talked briefly with Phil. He sent a FEC box car and said that it should be at the post office today.

Did some snooping on ebay and found a Pennsy box car for 16 bucks by Bowser. Never had a Bowser rolling stock before. Hope it's decent.

s-l275.jpg

I will have to be a bit more selective now for eastern railroad equipment as room is dwindling to keep everything on the layout.

Bowling tonight. Won the quarter a couple of weeks ago, so we're just bowling for dollars as we are now in the roll offs. The team collects $5.50 for every game we win, plus additional winnings for where we place in the roll offs.

Later.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, Garry ... Out of all the places I have lived - which is way too many, New Jersey has to be the toughest on auto inspections! California seems to only care about their stingy smog test even if you only have three tires on the vehicle, where New Jersey, when I lived there, would not even allow a parking sticker on the windscreen and checked if your headlights were aimed correctly!

Sherrel:
Not no more. They are strictly emissions tests now. Things changed maybe ten years ago. My 2016 pick-up, doesn't have to be inspected until 2021, and then only every other year. pretty much if your check engine light isn't on, you're good to go. Big improvement, in my opinion. Amazed how many people still get summons for blowing off the inspection. It's especially a big fund raiser in Point Pleasant Beach.

Re: "Default RIP Eric - BigE "
D
First my condolences to you and your family on Eric's passing. Eric was a valued member of this forum whose expertise in the hobby contributed much knowledge to this forum and it's members. His loss will be sorely felt by all and on behalf of the forum administration we would like to express our sympathy your family's loss. Thank you for informing us of his passing.
:(

Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
Well--crap.
I had thought Eric was doing better, but obviously he was not in as good shape as I, and maybe he, thought.
D, you have my, and everyone else's here in the coffee shop, sympathies.
Please let us know if we can do anything.

I really didn't expect this. Thought he was pulling through.

Deepest condolences.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After finding out about Eric's passing, my day seems not as bad. At least, in a way. I had to come home early, and take my wife to the doctor after she fell. When she fell, she tore some muscles in her right knee. She's home now, and I just got her in bed for the night, where hopefully she can get some rest.

Rest in peace Eric. Your troubles are over. Your health is renewed. You will live as you could only dream about with the energy of a young child and the wisdom you gathered in life. Your family will grieve your passing but you know your new being and only wish you could tell your survivors how great you feel now.
Life is only temporary and you know that full well now. Travel on the greatest system man could not even dream of.
It was a pleasure to know you in this world.

Hi everyone,

I'm not a regular here so I'm sorry if this is the incorrect place to post this, but I wanted to let you all know that my brother, Eric ("BigE" on here) passed away last night. I don't know much more than it appears that he went in his sleep. I'm sure for those of you who knew him, you knew his health was not good.

I just wanted to let you know that all of you (as far as I could tell :) ) meant the world to Eric. He was something of a "loner," but he would tell me frequently about his train buddies sending him stuff or even stopping by in Georgia to look at this layout. You guys really kept him going through some terrible times while he was having radiation treatments, etc. Also, I wanted to say just how much returning to the hobby of model RR brought life back into him just a few years ago.

Since my account is brand new, I don't know if I can upload an image, but I'm including an old photo of Eric working on his layout in our basement. This is how I remember my big brother.

D (Eric always called me "D")

View attachment 65596

D,
Very sorry to read this, my acquaintance with him was a brief one because I'm new here also. But I got use to his logon each day. He will be missed, and now a piece.
God bless the BigE

greg

I'm at a loss for words. This forum has lost a great model railroader. It's good he could go in peace. I'll always remember the conversations I had with Eric how few of them there in my heart. End of the day it was Eric who helped me with the info I needed to build the mountain on my last layout. So well built that it came off in one piece. I send my condolences to Eric's family. My hopes and prayers are with you.

Justin

Condolences to Eric's family. Damn, I thought he was recovering well from his illness, even with an occasional setback, so this is quite a shock. I'm saddened by the news. RIP Eric.

Joe

Well, THIS certainly was a shock!:eek::( I'll add my condolences to 'D' and his other surviving family members, and have a Mass offered for him.

I'm glad I was able to actually meet him in person before he went back to IL for his treatments. Rest easy my friend!

Well, THIS certainly was a shock!:eek::( I'll add my condolences to 'D' and his other surviving family members, and have a Mass offered for him.

I'm glad I was able to actually meet him in person before he went back to IL for his treatments. Rest easy my friend!

Thanks Ken! I still don't know all the details, but we are surprised too. His health has been bad for a long time, but he seemed to get through the roughest stuff (that stuff was awful) and now he's gone somewhat unexpectedly. Seriously, Eric didn't have a mean bone in his body.

I have just got back home in the afternoon from a day out and the last thing I would have expected when logging on to the forum, would be too hear of Eric's passing. He fought the good fight and we all thought he had beaten the enemy. The sadness and shock is only softened by the news that he passed in his sleep. Those like me, who only knew him from this Forum will remember his strength and humor while he fought the odds. Rest in peace BigE. Condolences to you D and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back