Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Time for Eggs, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns this morning with whole grain toast and coffee.

It's a double down on you deodorant day in Doo-Dah today. Currently 81 and cloudy with the high today 98. Feels like temperature 105-110.
About right for the first day of Summer.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 81°. Pleasant way to start summer off, yeah, 81° at 0600!:eek: It's now been 60 hours since the last rain, we may go until Sunday before it resumes, or maybe not. It's actually about that time of year that it stops raining until October. Only made it up to 96° yesterday, will repeat today.
Let's see Flo, how about one of those ham, egg and cheese burritos to start the day.
Grocery/beer trek was uneventful yesterday, we made an additional stop at a place called "GameStop" to pick up some additional games for the XBox that my wife bought for my grandsons birthdays (May 28, 29). Between the XBox and movies from the free Netflix subscription that came with the new TV, they managed to gobble up all of my rural internet bandwidth all day.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's pictures; Dave, Jerome, Phil, Chet, Sherrel, Patrick, Curt, Garry, Tom.
I may have worded things confusingly yesterday regarding the cardstock structure. The nice looking one is the second one that I built to replace the one that got wet. Sorry for any confusion. Once downloaded, you can make as many copies or remakes as you want.

How about something a bit different today. Graffiti, love it or hate it, it is a part of railroad scenery. I have no strong opinion one way or the other, except for the safety aspect of the fools who are trespassing on RR property. Since it is a part of the era that I model, I include it on many freight cars. Here's a few lightly weathered cars with some graffiti decals from Blair Lines.
07-10-17 005.JPG

07-10-17 008.JPG

Out in the train shed yesterday, work continued on the Masonic Lodge. I have now completed twelve of the thirteen steps of construction, the last being the addition of the balcony. I did get the individual stripwood boards cut yesterday, today I apply and stain. Might even get the railing and balcony supports done as well. I also began experimenting with using the chart tape for road striping over on the peninsula project. I'll have more time out there after my grandsons leave this afternoon.

Chet - Have a good time at the club and bring back lots more pictures.
Chad - Nice looking lightboard and passenger cars. Especially considering that they are N scale.
Curt - Hoping that your mouth heals soon.
Garry
- Nice spot on the FP45. Yes, the motorcycles are nice models. The handlebars are a bit tough to attach, but I finally figured out building a small jig to hold them (both bikes and handlebars) while the CA dried, made the task a lot easier. That "ugly crane" is a nice addition.

The wheat field next door is ready for harvest, but the ground is too wet/mushy to support the weight of the combine. The farmer who grows there owns his own combine so he is not dependent on the custom contract combiners who are stuck down south of here. By this time of year, they should be crossing into Oklahoma.
Well today is the summer solstice, longest day of the year and first day of summer; another day above the horizon. What could be better? Everyone have a great day, I intend to spend some time in the pool, early as well as late.:cool:

Good morning all, 68 and steamy this morning.

Beady and Terry, glad you are getting a reprieve from the rain

Patrick, enjoy the first day of summer. I wonder if people hit the beaches when it gets hot?

Willie, interesting graffiti. It certainly does abound in modern day freight

Todays photo is a street scene. This one was mislabeled in a "prototype" file folder. One day I will get these photos organized better:

barrels, scenes 011.JPG

Good morning to the first day of summer, somewhere. 38 degrees to start off the day. Had heavy rain yesterday coming home from Livingston, and a few hours later I looked out and saw this.

thumbnail_20190620_172037.jpg Got a little over an inch before it thankfully turned back to rain. No tree damage. We should return to normal temps in a couple of days.

Curt - That will be an interesting flat car load.

Garry - Nice photos as usual. Got any of your steel mill?

Dave - Nice photo again. Keep them coming.

Willie - Nice job on the weathering and graffiti .

Here are some photos from the club. Only had the F7A as the B unit i at Walthers waiting for repairs and it did a decent job on the grades pull 16 to 17 cars. The backdrop was painted by alocal artist of the area around Livingston.

thumbnail_20190620_132052.jpg

thumbnail_20190620_132041.jpg

Here is some better photos of the farm that out scenery lady did over the winter. Love the fences she made. She built the fences at home and then installed them at the club.

thumbnail_20190620_133909.jpg

thumbnail_20190620_133857.jpg

This one is for you Ray. Didn't see any train running yesterday, but thought this would be something interesting for you to model. A locomotive crane.

thumbnail_20190620_150153.jpg

On the foreground, you can see the second track from the depot. They were pulling rails down to the area last week and I saw quite a few markings on the rails. Looks like some repair work is in the future.

Later.

Last edited:
Good Morning -- No one has told the weather man that it's Summer out here! Supposed to reach a high of 71* today - normal is 86* - last year was 91* and record was 105* in 2008. Going on near 4 weeks with nary a drop!

Beady - I like your new avatar!
Willie - I like the cardstock with the warped roof , more accustomed to seeing those once upon a time.
Chet - Very nice club pictures. Like the crane photo!
Garry - the "ugly crane" is a keeper .. me likey!
Dave - another great photo - really like the ground level shots.
Patrick - Long way from Doo-Dah to da beach? Find an ice box and crawl in!

Willie -- Just remember to spell your graffiti correctly! It was supposed to be conRail twitty.

1561126167809.png

Patrick, enjoy the first day of summer. I wonder if people hit the beaches when it gets hot?

No real beaches here. Our mud hole lakes may have some swimming areas, but the pools will be busy.
Which reminds me I need to clean our pool for the grand kids when I get home.

That's why I work in IT. Server rooms are always cooler.

Good Morning -- No one has told the weather man that it's Summer out here! Supposed to reach a high of 71* today - normal is 86* - last year was 91* and record was 105* in 2008. Going on near 4 weeks with nary a drop!

Beady - I like your new avatar!
Willie - I like the cardstock with the warped roof , more accustomed to seeing those once upon a time.
Chet - Very nice club pictures. Like the crane photo!
Garry - the "ugly crane" is a keeper .. me likey!
Dave - another great photo - really like the ground level shots.

Willie -- Just remember to spell your graffiti correctly! It was supposed to be conRail twitty.

View attachment 37460
Looks like they ran out of black paint early, or train moved!

Afternoon All,

Did maintenance and upkeep on the pool this morning. Yikes, o_OI spent 90 minutes building 2 bolsters for the load. Each one had 11 pieces and are made out of thick paper so it couldn't be forced into the appropriate slots. Obviously looking at the pictures they still need painted.

Garry- Very nice modeling with the coke oven.

Willie- Nice weathering on the box cars.

Dave- Nice looking scene.

Chet- Nice club photos and 1:1 photo.

20190621_120528-1512x2016.jpg

20190621_120555-2268x3024.jpg

What it looks like sitting (not glued) on the wood deck.
20190621_120640-1512x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning to the first day of summer, somewhere. 38 degrees to start off the day. Had heavy rain yesterday coming home from Livingston, and a few hours later I looked out and saw this.

View attachment 37454 Got a little over an inch before it thankfully turned back to rain. No tree damage. We should return to normal temps in a couple of days.

Curt - That will be an interesting flat car load.

Garry - Nice photos as usual. Got any of your steel mill?

Dave - Nice photo again. Keep them coming.

Willie - Nice job on the weathering and graffiti .

Here are some photos from the club. Only had the F7A as the B unit i at Walthers waiting for repairs and it did a decent job on the grades pull 16 to 17 cars. The backdrop was painted by alocal artist of the area around Livingston.

View attachment 37455

View attachment 37456

Here is some better photos of the farm that out scenery lady did over the winter. Love the fences she made. She built the fences at home and then installed them at the club.

View attachment 37457

View attachment 37458

This one is for you Ray. Didn't see any train running yesterday, but thought this would be something interesting for you to model. A locomotive crane.

View attachment 37459

On the foreground, you can see the second track from the depot. They were pulling rails down to the area last week and I saw quite a few markings on the rails. Looks like some repair work is in the future.

Later.
That's a very interesting pic, Chet. I have the Athearn model of the 250 Ton crane in MRL (old Logo) and a Walthers powered one that is similar to this one, but needs repainting into MRL. Research indicates they may have 4 cranes in MOW service and all have been repainted into the new scheme. But what are they doing in your picture? Looks like a scrap magnet is in use and a gondola in tow, ready to put whatever that pile was, into.

Good evening gents!
My "Mental health" day was a success! Got lots of old business cleared up, got down the basement, installed a bunch of detail parts on some OPT projects (Other Peoples Trains) and even resurrected one from the deadline.

Many years ago, when my kids were just babies (almost 30) my 1st wife's grandad was also into trains, mainly live steam and Lionel, but he had an old Penn Line Atlantic on a shelf in a study. Chipped paint, and broken valve gear, it was a shelf piece. I offered to fix the valve gear and redo the paint, after which he told me I did it so well, I should keep it, he refused to take it back. So it joined my fleet as a DC unit, and saw limited use. Eventually it Quit running again, developing a mystery short circuit. Well to day I fixed it, locating a bad wheel set in the tender that caused the short. It runs again!! Now I'm thinking of a new motor, a gearbox and a decoder are in it future. Hmmmmmm.
Pennsy Atlantic.jpg

Willie, LASM, Sherrel, Chet nice pics all!

Time to go to the GF's house! L8ter!

Howdy all. Lazy day today. To darn hot to do anything outside. Now at 8 p.m. it's down to 88* Didn't have any rain-just HIGH humidity. Did venture out to get the mail-water bill.
Spoke to CURT. Little sore but getting better. My turn with a dentist is tuesday. Not looking forward to a root canal,would rather have a tooth pulled but need this one for my partial.
Wish all a pleasant night. Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

I thought growing old would take longer .

Hi gang, just a quick check-in.

My surgery is scheduled for Monday July 15, with a pre-op checkup at my primary doc's on Monday July 8. Hopefully I'll pass that test...

Too much s**t has been happening here these last 72 hours. Wednesday night during the torrential downpours, a leak appeared in my ceiling ~4ft to the left of where I'm sitting. Thursday afternoon, my wife called me at work to tell me that an alarm on my battery backup sump pump controller said my battery was beyond its useful life...wonderful [not]! And this evening as I started to mow my lawn, one of the blade spindles got stripped when I hit a hidden chunk of debris.

At least I think I've figured out the first two problems. The spot where my ceiling was leaking is directly under the place where my chimney pokes thru the roof, and it appears that the flashing is peeled back from some unknown cause. So it's not like my whole roof is shot - that helped bring my stress level down a few notches.
DamagedChimneyFlashing.jpg

On the sump pump issue, I went thru all the motions of scrubbing off the battery terminals but that didn't make the alarm light stop flashing. My wife had silenced the audible part for a 24-hour period; so, I unplugged everything from the control unit to reset it, in order to hear the exact time interval [in seconds] between the "beeps" to see if the battery really was kaput. When I restored all the connections, the controller....went back to normal! Go figure...o_O

The mower problem will definitely NOT be an easy fix: I don't have a garage with a hoist, nor will I have my mechanically-inclined son around to help with disassembling the cutting deck. So it's gonna have to be sent out for repair, probably for several weeks. I'm sure glad I don't have an HOA in my neighborhood 'cuz my lawn is gonna get awfully overgrown during that time! And no "neighborhood kids" are available for hire to mow it.

So there you have it, the reasons why I haven't posted on here for a few days! Thanks for letting me vent...

Last edited:
Hello, everybody ....

Karl .... I think I know what you mean about "Mental Health Day",, Model trains are a good way t get your mind away from nasty stuff going on in the real world.. .... The 4-4-2 is very nice. It is fun fixing old HO. Good it is running again.

Willie .... Thanks for commenting on my ugly crane at the coke oven. You did a good job of weathering. However, I'm not a fan of graffiti.

Dave LASM .... Your street scene looks great. The lighting captures a mood I think .

Sherrel .... I am glad you liked the ugly crane. I won't say I like the ugly covered hopper. ..... Conail ?? LOL

Ken IB .... Hopefully you can fix the leak. .... Will be thinking of you on July 15.

Curt .... That looks like a tedious project. Have fun.

Chet .... The club layout photos look very nice. The farm scene is fantastic. Thanks for commenting on my coke oven and requesting steel mill photos.

In this picture, you can see the coke oven, and in the distance to the left is the blast furnace in the steel mill. Also, you can see the flour mill against the backdrop.

I would like to point out the cabinets beneath the layout. Inside is train stuff. They are on wheels, and I can roll them into the aisle. Then the top is a convent works surface.

36766254315_dd33b5f615_b.jpg

I can show more of the steel mill next time.

Good morning all, looks like I am up first today, oops, second. Came in to work at 530 this morning and have some off time to check in the posts. Looks like a beautiful day today, 70's and partly cloudy.

Garry, your train room is beautiful

THANKS for the comments on my evening photo of the street scene!

Karl, neet story on the Atlantic

Curt, you sure have the skills with that tiny stuff

Chet, I saw they had 8" in Yellowstone. Figured you would be getting some of that. The farm scene at the club is very well done as well. Everything there is top notch!

Here is a view of my Midtown Oil building. It is cute but I am afraid it won't fit into my new layout, not sure what I will do with it.

Midtown Oil.jpg

This really shows how much room it takes to have a few trucks on the layout.

On a personal note, our family is really struggling over the settlement of the estate. I am beginning to loose my trust in the lawyer, and really do not know where to turn. I would appreciate if any praying people out there can put this issue on their list.

Everyone have a great day! Dave

Dave, the oil company can be repurposed to a lumber yard, or even a maintenance area for logging equipment. All it would take would be different signage, or even simply weathering over the signage that's there, so it looks like a defunct business that was leased to a new user.
As for the estate thing, our family is at the beginning stage of that now. I'll send good thoughts your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back