Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Good morning, it was mostly clear and 66 earlier. Now, it's sunny and 70.
It seems in addition to one part of my family having our relative's untimely death to contend with, another part is dealing with some internal drama that yet another member has felt compelled to drag me into. I invited him to come here and convey his opinion in person, and assured him it will be an experience he will not enjoy. I don't expect to see or hear from him any time soon.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 80°, a repeat of yesterday. 80° at 0600 is not a good thing! The current forecast calls for five days of thunderstorms, with the heaviest being today and tomorrow. How about some waffles and bacon this morning Francine.
My wife took my two grandsons home yesterday afternoon and spent the night in Dallas. I really thought that I would run out of food if they stayed any longer. It was a pleasurable visit otherwise. The eleven year old cleared a lot of clutter off my wife's laptop and tablet. She is susceptible to unnecessary downloaded crap since she doesn't read the terms of service and uncheck all of the boxes.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding the freight car photos from yesterday; Dave, Jerome, Sherrel, Chet, Phil, Curt, Justin, Garry.
Here's just one for today, just light weathering.
06-22-19 013.JPG

Out in the train shed yesterday, I partly completed step 13, the last one, on the Masonic Lodge.
View of the current progress.
06-22-19 001.JPG

I started assembly of the porch, attaching the stripwood to the cardstock base. Instructions called for Oak stain which I don't have, so I used thinned Raw Umber instead.
06-22-19 004.JPG

Meanwhile I took some pictures (finally) of the fertilizer distributor over on the peninsula project. It's almost completed but I cannot locate my supply of scratchbuilt electric meters at the present time.
Front view.
06-22-19 005.001.JPG

Trackside view.
06-22-19 010.JPG

Once the Masonic Lodge is completed, the peninsula project will fade into the background with only minor upgrading until I come up with some additional structures to fill the vacant spaces there. I have one structure that I will start to assemble after clearing (?) the workbench, and a couple of others already built; but I haven't determined the optimal placement of them yet. I am applying the chart tape street markings right now, but that won't take too long to complete. I have the yellow for the center stripes, but the white that I will use for the concrete parking areas hasn't arrived yet. It may be in the mailbox right now, but we haven't checked since Wednesday...mailbox is over a mile away. Stopped there Thursday, but it was before the mail lady had come by.

Dave - I have a special fondness for many of the scenes on your old layout. I have seen most of them before, but I really like the fact that you are bringing them back to remind us of them. The one yesterday ranks near the top.
Chet - That farm scene on the club layout really has a lot of detail in it. I have to think though, that with an oil well behind the barn, they could upgrade from an outhouse!:rolleyes: The scenery lady works harder on her fences than I do; she uses four strands of wire, I only do three!
Karl - Great story about your grandfather's Atlantic and it's resurrection.
Ken - Best of luck with the roof and mower.
Garry - When can you come by and build some cabinets for me? Just kidding of course, as I would have to remove the various shelves that I already installed. Graffiti is what it is. I add it not as a tribute, but because it is part of the era that I model. Maybe 3% of my cars have it. None whatsoever on engines. I have some that I hand-painted like the stuff we saw in the 50's and 60's like "SR'S 65", "Kilroy was here" and "☮".

Everybody have a great weekend.

Well, The weekend is upon us .... Two more grandsons 11 and 10 showed up during the afternoon from Newport with their mom. They will be playing in soccer tournaments today and tomorrow about two miles down the road. The house looks like a tornado hit with an 4,6,10, and 11 YO plus all three daughters and one SIL to boot. I just may have to rent a skid steer to clear out the muck. On a brighter note -- The fact that my hearing is so bad has saved me!

It never got above 75* yesterday -- 77* is the forecast today (normal is 87*), last year was 94* and a record 101* in 2008.
Gotts Run - the games start at 10 am.

Good afternoon gang!
Just got back from the Vet (puppy's rabies booster) and HD, getting ready to head to the LHS for a few items.
Willie, I hope someday to have the time to build the structures I have accumulated over the years,,,,, I'm sooo jealous!
Sherrel, just remember, it is a grandparents God given right to load em up with Coca-cola® and Jolly Ranchers® right before you send the grandchildren home. It is your reward for allowing their parents to live! ;)
L8ter gang!
GSMTS 0609 030a.jpg

Karl-- That is a beautiful model railroad scene! Is that your layout?

Willie-- the Masonic Lodge is turning out deluxe.

I think this next layout will be created in such a way that these modules I am making can be removed and more easily salvaged when I finally pass on. On the old layout it was just a 2' x 8' piece of the hump yard that came out intact. That is a problem with the folded dogbone design.

Terry-- those are good ideas with the Midtown Oil bldg. It didn't occur to me to repurpose the bldg. And thanks for the thoughts as well!

Afternoon All,

Never made it to the train room today. After shopping with the wife then chores I just didn't want to deal with tiny parts this afternoon. Our riding lawnmower stopped working today:confused:. The plan is tomorrow I'll drive over to daughters house, borrow their mower and one of our grandkids will cut it. Of course he will be paid for his work. Hopefully I'll get to the train room tomorrow.

Sherrel- Have fun with the kids. I took a class in Newport Beach about 20 years ago. It was very pretty but $$$$$.

Ken- Sorry to hear about all the issues.

Karl- That's a nice memory and nice looking D&H sharks.

Garry- Nice setup with your layout cabinets.

Terry- I'm with you about under the layout.

Dave- Nice layout scene and prayers for your family.

Willie- Everything looks great. The lodge is really coming along nicely.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon ..

Terry, Dave, Curt, and WIllie ..... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Dave .... I agree with Terry's idea of re[ur[osing the building. However, fuel oil companies were common, and you might use it as is
Willie .... The Masonic Lodge is looking great. The BN boxcar and the fertilizer building also look good. Regarding the cabinets, I had a lot of help from one of our sons who owns and operates a cabinet business.

Karl .... The D&H train is very beautiful.

Here are some shots in the steel mill.

Blast furnace :

36571741262_160b8d2db0_b.jpg

35017656313_213e7531cb_b.jpg

Rolling mill

36741680975_0e20846b0e_z.jpg

Electric furnace (left) and Rolling mill (right)

35787195276_deafc10289_b.jpg

All are Walthers kits which I modified... the rilling mill is two Walthers kits end-to-end.

Okay, this is getting out of hand...
I have never had any real burning desire to have Lionel anything.
I made the mistake of going to my LHS for a pair of speakers for some HO engines I am working on.
Therefore, I now own two Lionel sets
A Thunder Freight, and a North American Express.
The Thunder Freight has a UP 4-4-2 with chuff and smoke, and lighted caboose in UP, along with several cars, and the North American Express has a UP U36B and non-lighted caboose with several more cars, a pair of powered turnouts, crossing signal, trees, vehicles, uncoupler, and some odds and ends.
Everything was there, except for the transformer, which cost more than the trains. But, for $200, I now have two complete train sets to run under the tree this Christmas.

Sigh...

I made the mistake of going to my LHS for a pair of speakers for some HO engines I am working on.
The Thunder Freight has a UP 4-4-2 with chuff and smoke, and lighted caboose in UP, along with several cars, and the North American Express has a UP U36B and non-lighted caboose with several more cars, a pair of powered turnouts, crossing signal, trees, vehicles, uncoupler, and some odds and ends.
Everything was there, except for the transformer, which cost more than the trains. But, for $200, I now have two complete train sets to run under the tree this Christmas.

Sigh...
I have this bridge for sale if you're not interested.

Karl-- That is a beautiful model railroad scene! Is that your layout?

Dave, the train is mine, the picture was shot on the club layout.

Garry, I know IBKen is drooling over your steel mill!

Terry, we all have skeletons in our closets, I have one of the original Lionel Thomas the Tank Engine sets in O.....1st year, with the brown ties on the tracks. After that the ties were a garish yellow.

Sigh...
There y' go. Your avatar's finally taking over. Louis will approve.

Good evening. 8 p.m. at 89* but no rain. None at all today and non for 2 to 3 days.
Managed to do some low branch tree trimming till heat got to me. No trains.
Continuing Prayers for all of us
Phil

TO ME , "drink responsibly" MEANS DON'T SPILL IT !

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 70*F, calm and clear in my central MD neighborhood.

Thanks again everybody for the well-wishes! Today was a significant improvement over Friday, apparently Murphy left my property and decided to harass Curt instead. I started out by heading out to the Mt Airy library with Keith for the Four-County Club business meeting. It was nice because I saw a number of my old friends, but also, there were no contentious topics being debated - so it adjourned early!:cool: Wish you could've been there Karl but I realize your supposed to work on Saturdays.

And this evening, MOH and I attended a surprise going-away party organized by my son's girlfriend, since he'll be leaving next week for PA [Physician Assistant] school. That field is brutally competitive, he spent three years applying to ~20 different schools before he finally got accepted!

I have shelved the idea of trying to have an op session before surgery; there simply isn't enough time for me to devise another train schedule and generate all the switchlists and manifest documents for it. However, I will try to find time to get to the trainroom and put down some of that ready-made shrubbery that Keith made for me, that should be a bit more relaxing than preparing for visitors.

Dave - I didn't realize that your parents' estate still wasn't settled. Been there myself, sort-of: My wife was executor of her mother's estate and her sister became incredibly vicious toward her...nearly destroyed their relationship! Luckily the dust finally settled. I will definitely add you to my prayer list.

Garry, I always enjoy seeing your steel mill photos. I'm hoping that I can make mine as photogenic as yours in the not-too-distant future.

Of course I always like seeing all the photos posted by Willie, Chet, Dave as well.

Welcome to the forum Chad! My 23-yr-old daughter is also an RN at a regional hospital, though she doesn't do ICU.

Time for me to go now, trying to maintain a somewhat-regular cicadian rhythm.

Last edited:
IB KEN .. I'll throw this out to you -- I can't remember the last time that I lost a post , I think due to the new forum software? I have exited the program and later come back and the part that I had started is still there even the next day.

Terry - I think RAY nailed it with the Avatar remark!

FOUR BOYS under 12 have done me in for today! At least I don't have lawnmower repairs to deal with.
Say goodnight, Gracie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back