Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Once again it's 80° and cloudy with afternoon thundershowers in the forecast. Yesterday's rain slid by on the NW as close as 4-5 miles away, and headed straight to Johnny's up in Springfield. Looks like the same system probably slapped Patrick last night as well.
Good day Francine, how about some yummy Eggs Benedict this morning, extra English Muffin on the side.
Peaceful day yesterday without the grandsons, thankfully they did clean the place up except the dishwasher that I had to empty and start refilling. Got a text from my wife around 3:00 that she had a couple of Margaritas and wouldn't be driving home last night, so I had to eat that nicely grilled rib-eye steak by myself, darn!

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's updates and boxcar photo; Phil, Karl, Dave, Garry, Curt, Jerome, Ray, Ken, Tom. Thanks also to Justin, for the likes on some previous posts.
Here's another one for Ray, a lightly weathered covered hopper. There weren't many heavily weathered cars in my era, as the railroads mostly just built new ones as they phased out their fleets of 40 footers. and the newer ones just weren't weathered yet.
06-26-19 005.JPG

Model is an Accurail kit with added metal wheels but I have retained the Accumate couplers until they fail. They're the only brand of plastic couplers that I use and they have not failed in any situations yet. The style of my self-decorated graffiti more correctly resembles what was prevalent at the time. That fancy stylistic stuff originated on the two coasts and didn't hit middle America until much later, although it was present to a small extent.

Well yesterday there was a celebration in the train shed of sorts. Finished the Masonic Lodge. I left off the last trim, a strip of bricks one row high that's supposed to ring three sides of the top of the building, but who will notice unless you're from Lost Angeles and have seen the real thing.
06-26-19 001.JPG

06-26-19 002.JPG

I have a couple of spots that need some touch up paint. Of course I don't need a Masonic Lodge; it is going to be re-purposed as a small town library in my partially developed town of Charlottesville. Working on a sign with the computer pretty soon. I am undecided about the needed sidewalk/entry plaza, whether I will attach it to the structure or add it to the layout. Final town design will dictate this.

Sherrel - Dang! With three daughters there (the week after Father's Day), the house should be spotless.
Dave - I also didn't realize that your parents estate wasn't settled yet. Best wishes and good luck with that. By the way, I re-purpose structures all of the time, some straight out of the box like the Masonic Lodge.
Karl -
Willie, I hope someday to have the time to build the structures I have accumulated over the years,,,,, I'm sooo jealous!
I know the feeling. Prior to retirement, while I was building the train shed and finishing out the inside, I was stopping at the LHS once a week and stockpiling most of these structures. I went six years with minimal model building and concentrated on benchwork and trackwork first. For a few years, my workbench was just any old blank space on the layout, that moved as track laying proceeded.That is mainly the reason that the layout is only 25% scenicked, although that is up from 15% at the start of the year. Even now, some models are built and go on the shelf waiting for me to get to future developments.
Terry - If you play your cards right with the two Lionel sets, you could turn a handsome profit with Louis.;);) Just kidding of course; I do wonder how he is doing, we haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks.

Everybody have an awesome Sunday.

And a good hazy morning to all. Already 82* and humid. Expect to hit mid 90's later with scattered showers.

WILLIE- Impressive build .
Continued Prayers for all,
Phil

Sometimes it takes me all day to get nothing done.

Relative of Shirley's perchance?

Gracie was the wife from the George Burns TV show ... After she made some obscure remark (kinda like a dumb blond), George would end the show by saying, "Say goodnight, Gracie".

OPPS: I just saw the post from TERRY! thanks, TERRY >>>>

Last edited:
Good morning. The sun finally reappeared after three days of dreary wet weather.

With the crappy weather, I did get to spend some time in the train room and did a lot of switching. Found that I will have to get another pair of Kadee uncoupler magnets. I had some electro magnets but they have failed after 25 years.

Karl - Glad you found the problem with the Atlantic. Something like that should be preserved and put back to work. Nice photo. Like those sharks.

Ken in MD
- You are lucky that the flashing was the problem. Better than a new roof.

Garry
- Nice photo again. Those cabinets are nice to have. Beneath my layout, it sounds similar to Terrys. Thanks for posting the steel mill photos. Great detail. An industry like that can cenerate a lot of rail service and easily keep an operator busy working just there.

Dave - Nice photo. Trucks do require a lot of space on a layout.

Curt - Better you than me trying to put those part together.

Willie - Nice photos again. The light weathering is what I usually go for. Looks good and the lodge is really coming along nicely.

Here are a few photos of the town of Logan

Main Street.

thumbnail_20190622_122352.jpg

thumbnail_20190622_124209.jpg

thumbnail_20190622_123844.jpg

And here's one at dusk.

thumbnail_20190622_124555.jpg

Later

Morning from the West! I slept in this morning - too much excitement yesterday! The boys from Newport won both of their games yesterday, so they will be advancing to the playoffs today ... first game at 2PM.

Supposed to be 83* today (yesterday reached 79*) .. Normal for today is 87*, last year was 76* and the record was 94* in 2015.

Nice looking weathered hopper car there, Willie, It's too bad that you had to eat the steak alone?

So, TERRY ... Your finally made the jump! Your going to be Louis buddy now! Just remember, If one of them smokes -- It's maybe supposed too?

So, TERRY ... Your finally made the jump! Your going to be Louis buddy now! Just remember, If one of them smokes -- It's maybe supposed too?
Yes, it's supposed to smoke. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off, so it may get limited use.
I can tell you, these SOBs are NOISY!

92* at one p.m.. To darn hot to mess with more tree trimming. Staying in with ICED COFFEE and a book.

Thanks again for all the pictures. Wonderful show of talent here.
Blessings,
Phil

The secret of enjoying a good wine- 1-Open the bottle to allow it to breathe. 2- If it doesn't look like it's breathing give it mouth to mouth.

Afternoon All,

Today was kind of interesting. The wife took my truck to daughter's to pick up the lawnmower and grandson but was pulled over by the police because neither brake light was working. He took pity on her just telling her to get them fixed:). SIL checked that all the fuses were OK. After she got home I tried a new bulb without success. SIL told my wife what the problem probably was so we watched a video on replacing the sensor that is operated from the brake pedal. I went to a auto parts store got a new sensor for $12 went home, put it in and it works! I figure I saved about $185 not taking it to a mechanic.

The only thing I did at the workbench was to paint the 2 bolsters, reamed out their wire bracing holes (paint), and washed the resin parts.

Garry- Excellent Modeling and the backdrops fit and match very well.

Terry- Congratulations on your purchases...I think?

Chet- You are a true humanitarian trying to sell Terry a bridge.:D

Willie- Nice job on the hopper and really nice job on the lodge. It looks great.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone....just returned from the cabin after a 10 day stay.

Toot: Nice weathering job on the box car.

1561324566435.png

MSN - Internet photo.

This would make a great background building with its different colors and weathering. Almost a ArtDeco model, but its real life.

Went to a swap meet in Waupaca, Wisconsin and I keep learning something every time I go to a show. I fellow was carefully working on series of downtown buildings by Walthers and DPM. He was carefully removing the roof sections to add details. It should be easier the work on the roofs when they are removed. Inside the windows of the store he used detailed interiors, but they were curved and nicely showed off the buildings' interiors.

The exteriors of the buildings were carefully masked and then painted.

Left the show and didn't purchase thing. Missed out on two SOO locomotives for $55.00 total, no test track!!! Looked at them and saw no flaws, but waited to make up my mind and when I went back they were gone. One was a PK2 SOO F7 and the an Athearn SW1200 locomotive. Lots of nice rolling stock all with Kadee couplers and some with metal wheels selling at $5.00 each and I saw lots of Northern Pacific rolling stock for Chet and Mark's layout, but all were purchased before I could give them a second guess wether to purchase or not. The same was true for SOO rolling stock. One guy was buying boxes of rolling stock

Train to tomorrow afternoon.

Back to the cabin in two days.

Later.............

Greg

############################

100_0783.JPG

Last edited:
Gracie was the wife from the George Burns TV show ... After she made some obscure remark (kinda like a dumb blond), George would end the show by saying, "Say goodnight, Gracie".

OPPS: I just saw the post from TERRY! thanks, TERRY >>>>
An unknown show in NZ at the time, maybe shown in Aus though. I can remember George Burns name popping up from time to time. If the show was pre 1960, then there was no TV channel to show it on.

June 1 1960
"Broadcast from Shortland St in central Auckland, New Zealand’s first official television transmission began at 7.30 p.m. The first night’s broadcast lasted just three hours and was only available to viewers in Auckland. It included an episode of The Adventures of Robin Hood, a live interview with a visiting British ballerina and a performance by the Howard Morrison Quartet."

That jogs a memory. I believe that performance of the last mentioned was done at the army base where I was during my previously mentioned compulsory military training. A perfect place to guarantee a large audience. I remember being bored s*%tless. But they had a guy with a placard that told you when to cheer.

They had a radio show along with Jack Benny, Fibber McBee and Molly, Red Skelton and more.
T/s came in a little after 2. Stayed about 15-20 minutes. Then really got muggy and HOT. Same forcast for tomorrow.
Goodnight- Prayers for all,
Phil

RETIRED-under new management. [see spouse for details]

Good evening.

Karl, I B Ken , Chet, and Curt ....... Thanks for commenting on my Steel Mill.

Willie .... Your completed Masonic Lodge is fabulous. .... Thumbs up !

Chet .... Your downtown photos with 1950's vehicles are very impressive.

Greg ... Yes, that is an interesting photo. It would be a challenge to model buildings like that with weathering.

Good night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back