Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another rainy day in FLA. Thunder and lightning and gusty winds. Heat and humidity. Cleared , sun came out then more rains. Stayed out of the garage, to darn hot Do trains get lonely when not used ???

My bucket list : !- Keep Breathing.

Prayers for all,
Phil

Good evening .

Terry ..... Sincere condolences to your family. By the way, I hope your wife is doing as well as can be expected with her health issues. I don't think you mentioned her situation recently.

Dave LASM ..... I like the NP Geep.

Karl .... LOL

Chet ,,,, Thanks for commenting on my photo. .... Your pictures look great. You do a good job with trees in your scenes.

Curt ... Have a nice trip to Ft. Meyers

Willie .... Nice work with the buildings. You include a lot of detail.

36612617562_7f0d0cd634_b.jpg

Morning gents, started working on this post last night but was interrupted by t-storms. Nothing new to report, but appreciate the continuing well-wishes.

Terry - condolences on the loss of your nephew.

Ken - Prayers and thoughts for the success of your impending surgery. Regarding the layout, what a decision to make, proceed with scenery or have another operating session.
Willie, I admit it seems absurd! But with my layout, transitioning from "construction" mode to "operations" mode requires a lot of prep time, having to first clean all the track and then to dig out/set up all the packed-away rolling stock needed to support an op session. And I'll probably misplace a quarter of my tools/materials during the decluttering process.

Ken- Saying prayers for your health. If that area is for the Ford plant wouldn't it all be concrete and asphalt?
Curt you are absolutely right, the Ford plant will be concrete and asphalt!:D The area I've been talking about these past couple days is the mainline segment thru South Brooklyn. BTW glad you're past the dental ordeal, I'm all too familiar with those myself!

...and that's about it, for now. Time to get ready for another work day...

Thanks, Garry. I try to not keep harping on things. My wife is doing okay, he new doctor (her old one retired after our little "discussion") says she is doing good for her condition. The company that manages her dialysis had to change supply companies after the one they were using was taken over by a, shall we say, "profit motivated" company, and quadrupled the costs of the needed supplies. She will meet her $6500 deductible by the end of the month, after that, she will only need to worry about her copays.

Last edited:
Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 76. More badder weather forecast for later today, with more rain, more high winds, more larger hail, and more life-threatening cloud-to-ground lightning. It rained here at the house for several hour yesterday, so once again I wasn't able to try to fix the yard. The cable company came out and performed some work on the schlock job they did that caused me to damage the first replacement mower. I'm planning to walk the area before mowing, I really donm't want a repeat of that. IF it ever dries out enough I don't get my shoes stuck in the mud...

Morning all,

Time for coffee this Morning Flo...And one big ol' cinnamon rolls to please.

Not much happening last night. Did win a auction for a box of train junk from a local charity, so shipping is cheap. I'll get it tomorrow, so I don't know what all is inside, but I'm sure I'll find something I can convert into something else. Just need to get more track laid, then I can figure out what I want to put where.

I need to start modeling......

Good morning. It's cool and damp with heat and rain later. T/S most likely in late p.m.
Garage to hot to play with the layout. Dusted it once, but it came back.

If you're happy and you know it, it's your meds.

Prayers for all of us,
Phil

Good Morning All. 72° clear sunny, no wind and 83% humidity. Sticky beginning to the day. It's been 30 hours since the last rain! Could reach 100° later today, we'll see. Had to use the A/C overnight for the first time this season.
Start me off with a couple of sunny side up eggs and sausage patties this morning Flo. And a piece of toast to mop up the yolk.
Busy day yesterday, spent most of the morning spreading mulch around the tomato plants in the garden, all 60 of them. Pulled some remaining weeds that were intruding along the way. Admired the tomatoes that are there and that survived the hail/wind storm of June 1. While I will be a little late picking mature ones this year, maybe late next week, there seems to be plenty there. If I get time today after the weekly grocery/beer run, I will harvest the garlic crop. Grandsons and granddog arrived yesterday and they kept me occupied until the delivery people arrived with my wife's new 65" TV. My eleven year old grandson showed them how to hook some things up. He's an electronics nut, in January when all of the teachers at his school got new laptops, he set them all up for them! No leftover spare ribs for Willie's lunch as the nine year old ate them all last night, hearty appetite! :(

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's photos; Jerome, Sherrel, Phil, Patrick, Chet, Curt Dave, Garry.
Now for some random pictures of various projects. Here's a grain elevator picture that I don't believe that I have posted before. It is just another Walther's kit.
05-13-17 004.JPG

When I move that piece of cardboard, I can switch it out!
Another fun project was assembling a number of motorcycles from JL Innovative. These things are two-piece white metal castings, and I add the kickstands made of .017" wire. Here's a few finished and some in process.

04-22-17 003.JPG

Here's a cardstock structure, the first that I ever made. This one was actually paper glued to cardstock.
07-10-17 010.JPG

Here's what happens to said structure when you accidentally leave the window open and it rains inward!:mad:
07-10-17 009.JPG

Did not get to visit the train shed yesterday due to other goings on, a rather unusual occurrence. I'll be there today when the boys go swimming, as the workbench overlooks the pool.

Terry - Condolences on the death in your family.
Chet -
Archies Place must be for skinny people.
To the best of my memory of those bars, I revisited some in the mid-70's when I returned to visit relatives; just inside the door was a vestibule of sorts with hooks on each side wall to hang your coats/hats/umbrellas. Then a row of two person booths along each wall with a narrow aisle down the middle leading to the bar against one wall with stools in front and the aisle continuing along the wall, ending with a store room connected to the bar side and a restroom on the other. Very compact. Maybe ten or twelve barstools. and six to ten booths along each wall depending on the depth of the building. A few had the bar in front and the booths in the rear. At most they were 10' -12' wide, but were generally 80' - 100' deep. Deluxe ones had two bathrooms and a rear fire door!
Ken -
And I'll probably misplace a quarter of my tools/materials during the decluttering process.
Ha ha ha! Been there before!o_O

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning all, Special K this morning with half banana. I will take another cup of coffee, please!

We are going to get some rain later today, then unsettled weather for a few days. Just in time for the weekend! Temps in 70's and low 80's.

Garry-- Nice scene, I really like your selection of vehicles. The cement mixer on the right is a nifty detail!

Willie-- the motorcycles are a appropriate detail, in light of the number of saloons in your city. If I didn't know better, I would think you are in Wisconsin. They have 1 bar per capita in some of the smaller towns.

Chet-- those sage brush trees really make your scenes (not to mention the trains)

Here is todays shot, a view of the loading dock and a couple trucks. It looks like the man sitting on the dock moved his head while the photo was shot:

contest4.13 004.JPG

more later, Dave

Good morning. 7:45am and 60F. Supposed to hit 80F today.

Condolences Terry. My wife is a cardiac ICU nurse. At that age, heart attacks are usually related to genetics (often to that point unknown).

This week I am hoping to get back to my DIY lightboards -- figuring out some better component values and writing up a guide on assembling, before I release files on how to make your own. My air solder station fuse holder broke (cheap Chinese). I ordered some new fuse holders but need to get it fixed before I can work on improving my example lightboard component values.

IMG_1078 (1).jpg

Good morning. Sunny now but rain is supposed to move in later today with cooler temperatures with highs only in the 50's for couple of days.

Garry - Nice photo. Like the old Atlas lumber yard kit.

Willie - Nice photos. Too bad about the card stock building. Oops.

Chad - Interesting project. What is the board for?

Dave - Nice photo. That guy sitting on his butt should get to work.

The guys here at the freight station are getting a little over time getting one last truck loaded.

thumbnail_20181223_130621.jpg

Today is ops day in Livingston at the club. Have to get my stuff together.

Later

The DIY light board is a way to add interior lighting (anti-flicker) to passenger cars / EMUs / DMUs / HST etc. Works with both DC and DCC powered tracks. Your wagons need to have some sort of power pickup. Most of the Japanese have that built-in. Others, like a lot of US and European, there are various wipes, axle cups, etc that can be added.

ETA: I call the board shown the V2 board. I had an earlier V1 board as a first attempt (the V2 improves the anti-flicker but is otherwise substantially the same). Here is a test set of cars using various setups of components / values and the V1 board. The V2 board would look the same from a user perspective when looking at a train.

ETA^2: I should add that the board is for N-scale. The concept could be used on other scales but you'd probably need another board to fix the physical dimensions. This board is made to snip off the end to make it the length you need it up to max length to fit a variety of N-scale sized cars.

IMG_1004 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Morning shop dwellers. It's supposed to be 77* today(normal is 86* - was 92* last year - was record 110* in 2016!

Great photos everyone - Opps, just got a call from a friend who had knee surgery and needs a ride to the DR. this morning. HIS WIFE still works and is out of town somewhere back NE?

Back after a while ......

90* at 2 p.m. Been a hot and muggy morning , turned on the 'puter and it started to rain. Dark clouds all around. May just shut it off for awhile. . Might even take a nap.
Phil

Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle.

Afternoon All,

Kathy made it to Ft. Myers. I decided not to go because the last 2 days I have had to remain close to a bathroom due to the antibiotics I'm taking and since the surgery site is still oozing I'm sure I'm swallowing blood at night sleeping. I did take a look at the gun barrel kit and it looks pretty complicated to build. I'll start on it tomorrow.

Toot- I'm talking a WWII battleship 16" gun barrel.

20190620_130302.jpg

Garry- Nice lumber company photo.

Dave- Another nice scene.

Chet- Nice job on the freight house lighting.

Willie- Nice collection of buildings and motorcycles.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thanks, Garry. I try to not keep harping on things. My wife is doing okay, he new doctor (her old one retired after our little "discussion") says she is doing good for her condition. The company that manages her dialysis had to change supply companies after the one they were using was taken over by a, shall we say, "profit motivated" company, and quadrupled the costs of the needed supplies. She will meet her $6500 deductible by the end of the month, after that, she will only need to worry about her copays.

Terry .... Thanks for reply. It is good to hear your wife's condition is doing okay for her condition. I do have a lot of respect for doctors because it seems like they are solving some very challenging problems. Also, I bet it will be a relief to your budget after meeting the deductible.

Everybody .... Thanks for all of the "likes" for my building materials scene.

Willie ..... Uh oh ! Your card stock structure looks good before the mishap. I like the grain elevators as well as the FP45 partly visible in front of it. The motorcycles are nice models.

Dave LASM ... Thanks for commenting on my photo. I like your loading dock scene and the vehicles.

Chet.... Thanks to you also for remarking about my picture. The Atlas lumber yard is very common, and many guys make changes to improve them. Your freight station is a very special model with its lighted interior with details.

Chadbag .... Your lighting project is very interesting.

Curt .... The model of a battle ship gun is impressive. I hope your mouth heels quickly from your oral surgery. Thanks for your comment on my photo.

Here are views of my coke oven. It is a Walthers kit , and I added with some structures and machines which I scratch built . In the second photo, you can see an ugly crane used to pick up spilled coke.

35787175986_2526fff6c5_b.jpg

35028235404_e54352ef37_b.jpg

We've had a above average than normal wet spring. In addition to all the snow we got causing flooding down river on the Mississippi, the amount of rain we've gotten is adding to the problem! When I find a day that is dry, because of all the rain, i have to get on my mower and mow, too. I think down in Australia they call this "When it rains it Pours"!
Same problem over here in Wisconsin. Farmers are really late planting their crops, so corn likely will not be “knee-high by the 4th of July”.

Terry- Sorry for your families loss.

Got an email from Scale Trains they're doing Chessie SD40-2's long in coming. The rain is let up, we only get rain every 4 days instead of every 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back