Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis - Although I saw a couple of posts recently, I miss Rodney's posts here on the forum. Good to read that all is well with him.
I don't see Memorial Stadium in that map of Baltimore that you posted this morning!:p

Willie, Rodney reminds me of you in many ways, he is always up to something and walks everyday. Up to 5 or 6 km to use his terms. Although he walks with his dogs. I'll tell him you miss him, he will appreciate that. It might even get him to stop in the coffee shop.

Rodney is also big time into Australian Fords and Ford in general. He spends much of his computer time in a Ford forum. He still runs his trains!

Not even 33rd street yet, let alone Memorial Stadium in that map. For that matter it pre-dates the B&O and Camden Station.

Good morning everyone. 28 and cloudy here in SW MO. A belated Happy new Year to all of you.

What with the holidays our organization gave us, plus weekends, plus PTO that my wife and I took, we've been out of the office for 12 days. Got to thinking, this is what retirement will feel like!!

As promised last year, here are a couple of photos of that new area I've been working on - a tunnel through a mountain with a logging camp on the other side.

. Mountain and Tunnel 1 _Jan2019.jpgMountain and Tunnel 2_2019.jpgMountain and Tunnel 3_2019.jpgLoggingCamp 1_2019.jpg

Well, time for some coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning and Happy New Year. ....

We had an enjoyable family visit in Southern Ohio which included Christmas celebrations with family members of Ohio and Michigan. ..... Driving home (western KY) on Monday was awful. We had heavy rain for the first 250 miles of the 330 mile trip. At one point, the rain was so intense we had to stop on the shoulder with near zero visibility. .... Arriving home, we learned there had been a 5-hour power outage on our road early in the day. Also, a large tree fell across the road blocking it. The tree had been cleared before we got home. ... We are very glad it was not cold enough to snow.

It looks like the Coffee Shop is off to a good start already. We already are on the fourth page with lots of interesting posts with comments and photos.

Happy Model Railroading.

Some of you may be interested in this video. ..... The Colorado Ski train was sold, and was shipped to Canada. ... The video shows a CN locomotive hauling it through Illinois.

Good Morning Everyone.........snow flurries and over cast this morning.

Train room today and I'm going to use my Digitrax PR-4 to check some CV settings in several of locomotives' decoders. I'll add this some of this information to my spreadsheet of my locomotive inventory.

The layout's room needs a good vacuuming and cleaning under the bench work as well. The room been a little cooler lately with 65-66 degrees to start and then the room warms up a bit. :)

I'm glad the Holidays are over and things can get back to normal.

That's all for now.

Greg

###################

IMG_0294.JPG

An Atlas crossing tower that's been modified and LED lighting in the interior.

Good morning. Starting the day off at 19 degrees. Warmer than yesterdays high and should get into the low 30's.

Ray - Liked your comment about hiding in plain sight. When I was a state trooper, I was an accident investigator handling mainly the more serious and fatal accidents and I was assigned a "take home" car as I was on call 24 hours a day. It was also an unmarked car. People sure did some stupid things when there wasn't a marked car around. I made probably more traffic stops than most troopers. Loved the comments you would hear out there. "Guess you gotta make your quota". My normal response was that we could write as many tickets that we want, or "I'm a tax payer and pay your salary". To that I would tell them that I was a tax payer also and I guess I'm self employed. I would normally give the driver a verbal warning explaining their violation unless they had an attitude or if there was a serious violation.

Louis - I really enjoy your trolley photos.

Phil - Nice to see you checking in and are feeling better.

Johnny - Nice photos, keep them coming.

Garry - Glad you got home safely.

Yesterday I finally got the rest of the locomotives that aren't in regular service lubricated and let them run for a while. Today I think I'll just go down stairs and run some trains.

Here's a rail picture for today.

514911789_8b93488b4a_b.jpg

Later

Either this forum or my computer/connection is giving me fits trying to post today. Posted those last photos but it didn't post my comments with them: first one said That there was still a lot of work to be done to make it look like a realistic logging operation. Second one said that it was a ground-level vi

Things are really going wonky with my computer today, as you might guess from my earlier posts and repeated photos.

A question: Is there a way to modify the speed of one brand/model of engine to match the speed of a different brand? I have two Broadway Limited Imports diesels - they match each other's speed and operation pretty nicely when I run both of them at the same time. However, I'd like to buy another engine or two, probably Athearn. But from previous experience I don't think the Athearn will match the BLIs - one will overrun the other if they're on the same track. So can I get inside one engine or the other and modify its speed. Remember, I'm in DC, not DCC.

Thanks for any tips and tricks.

Afternoon All,

Made a run to the LHS for paint I'm going to use on my building kit I got for Christmas. Of course their paint selection was the pitts so I ordered what I wanted online.:( I finished the freebee kit and I'm ready to start the large one tomorrow. I put the completed building with my passenger train station since it's a combo news stand, taxi office and coffee kiosk.

Louis- At least you got the heat going. I have been enjoying the historical photos.

Sherrel- I hope you feel better.

Garry- Very nice looking vehicles. Interesting video. I always watch with the sound off. Is that the same train that goes to the Cheyenne Rodeo?

Toot- I had no idea that a train was being run without somebody in charge of it.

Justin- Welcome back. I hope your family is doing well and that the baby is finally sleeping through the night. Nice C&O/B&O pictures.

Willie- It's not fair, since I'm retired I get no days offo_O.

Johnny- Nice layout photos.

Sorry for the dark pictures

20190102_142946-980x2016.jpg

20190102_143111-980x2016.jpg

20190102_143217-980x2016.jpg

20190102_143356-980x2016.jpg

This is my next build

20190102_145522-980x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Johnny - There's really no way to get locomotives to match speed if you're running DC. I also run DC only and about the only way to get locomotives to match speed is to run locomotives from the same manufacturer together. I have over a dozen old Atlas Alco RS units with the Kato drive and they all run at almost the exact same speed. All of my old Athearn locomotives had motor transplants and by the luck of the draw, the also run at almost the same speed as the Atlas units. On the other hand, I have a few locos from Lifelike, Stewart, Athearn Genisis and others and they will not run at the same speed. If you have two locomotives that may be close, run the faster one ahead of the slower one. Sorry.

Curt - Like the hack company. Nice.

Chet - Thanks for your insights.

A follow-up question. Has anyone out there had both a Broadway Limited Imports engine and an Athearn (or Atlas Alco) engine and run them at the same time? Which one is faster or slower?

Things are really going wonky with my computer today, as you might guess from my earlier posts and repeated photos.

A question: Is there a way to modify the speed of one brand/model of engine to match the speed of a different brand? I have two Broadway Limited Imports diesels - they match each other's speed and operation pretty nicely when I run both of them at the same time. However, I'd like to buy another engine or two, probably Athearn. But from previous experience I don't think the Athearn will match the BLIs - one will overrun the other if they're on the same track. So can I get inside one engine or the other and modify its speed. Remember, I'm in DC, not DCC.

Thanks for any tips and tricks.
Short answer, no. The only advice that I can offer besides purchasing like models from the same manufacturer is to place two on the track at the same time spaced about 12"-18" apart and apply power. If they stay about the same distance apart then they will run together. If they are closely matched, one slightly faster than the other, run the faster one first in a consist. Even unlike models from the same manufacturer may not run well together. This is more prevalent when running a six axle with a four axle locomotive., even though both may be Athearn or Kato.

EDIT: I see now that Chet already answered while I was composing and goofing off.

Good afternoon, everyone. Finally got my grades in. I hadn't quite got there before Christmas when everything went to a standstill, both because of the holidays and because of some planned, minor surgery.

That set me back a bit more than I had planned, but all is well and I finished the grades today. Glad I only teach one class! Hope that I will be able to take some time tomorrow getting back to my sawmill kitbash project. Have a good evening, all.

That's exactly what I was alluding to. No days off, no long weekends, no vacations, every damn day is a Saturday!
What you must remember, is that others have been making plans for the things they want you to do when you stop doing the things that are "useful/necessary/important". (think I've covered all the bases there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back