Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good New Year's Morning to all !!

Hi Flo, Francine, boy it's a chilly one this morning. Coffee an a Apple fritter heated if you would along with extra butter an Cinnamon. Thanks.

The weather is quite chilly, this morning low was 29°F, It's now 33°F with lots of frost, supposed to rise to 48°F. The Humidity is 49% and the parametric pressure is 767.028 mmhg, wind is 1mph from the NW.

Have a great day !

Thanks, PHIL -- Here's a pic to start the year off with -- looks cold!
SLSF #304 SW-7.jpg

Good Morning Everyone.....Happy New Year....cold and freezing rain over night. Glad the Holidays are almost over and things can get back to normal.

Down to the layout after lunch. Going to work on some of the scenery that's missing that nobody can see from a normal viewing point. Really just some minor ground foam and signage things.

That's all for now.

Greg

########

Gee- whatever are you guys talking about? Curt and I are sunning ourselves in sunshine and 78* heat.
Ah, glorious Fla. winter. No rain till Friday p.m.
Tonight UCF and LSU clash in Citrus bowl. Should be a classic..

Later,
Phil

LOUIS- I have a HANK AARON card-dated 1975 . Shows him as being a Des. Hitter. It's a "TOPPS CHEWING GUM"
WELL damn-Just found a second AARON card-names him NEW ALL-TIME HOME RUN KING. Didn't realize I had it.
Phil

Phil, if I am not mistaken you have a Topps 1975 Hank Arron with the Milwaukee Brewers and a Topps 1974 Hank Arron with the Atlanta Braves. A couple of my personal favorites. Arron was not only a great ball player, he is a great man. He was once asked how he wanted to be remembered, his answer "As a good person". Can you imagine one of these current self-absorbed idiots saying that today?

I use Hank Arron as an example for my little leaguers.

I'm glad you and Sherrel both are feeling better.

LOUIS- You're right on both cards.
How about a SPARKY LYLE card ? Signed by the ORIOLES but played with the Red Sox then the jankees.
Time for Hot Tea with honey. Throat still scratchy. Back later.
Phil

With all of the wind, 6 minutes into the new year, the lights flickered and went out. I was on the computer in the spare bedroom. The UPS kicked in, powering the computer and the desk lamp. My wife was in the living room watching the new years festivities on tv. I heard her comment, "what a hell of a way to start the new year - where's that damned flashlight - I hate this power company". I was back here sitting in the light and laughing. She didn't think it was funny. The outage lasted only 2 minutes, but it was funny.

Anyway . . . Happy New Year everyone!

Max: Thanks good to see you at the Coffee shop.

Good afternoon and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all..

Been MIA for a few days as the computer has been off and I was too lazy to turn it on. We're having a heat wave compared to Mark at minus 12 this morning.

We had snow and wind most of Sunday and it is hard to guess how much we got because of the drifting. My little tractor that I normally plow with was down with a dead battery and my skid steer is at my cousins place so I had to do the drive with the snow blower which really whooped my butt. Finally got the tractor started late in the afternoon to finish things off. Like Mike and Sherrel, I didn't make it to midnight. Lights out were around 8:30 PM.

Louis - Liked the photo of 1954 Baltimore. Nice shot.

Garry
had posted photos of his new Oxford vehicles. Liked them but I model 1957 and have nothing newer than that year. They seem to improve with each new release and are quite reasonably priced compared to other manufacturers. The Buicks and Oldsmobiles recently released are perfect for my time period. I don't like to have numerous vehicles in the same colors so I will get them in different colors. Here are the Buicks I have, including the Broderick Crawford Highway Patrol car. If anyone can read California on the door, more power to them.

thumbnail_20181230_132337.jpg thumbnail_20181230_132521.jpg The yellow and black olds may turn into an LVRR unit.

Here are a few future releases from them I am interested in the 57 Dodge Sweptside pickup and the 46-48 DeSoto.

87DP57001_large.jpg 87DS46001_large.jpg

They also have a Dodge Charger and a Dodge Daytona announced for those modeling more modern times.

87DC68001_large.jpg87DD69001_large.jpg

With the snow coming down Sunday, I spent a good part of the day down in the train room. Went through the locomotives that aren't run on a regular basis and after a light lubrication, let them run for around 45 minutes each.

Up to 12 degrees so a nice warm train room sounds like a good place to go. Have a few more locomotives that haven't run in a while to put on the rails for a while.

Later

David
Good enough. I've been cruisin' around the forum for sometime and decided to stop in for a cup. I'll be back.

Good morning Everybody!

I'm late this morning because I just got off the phone with my best cobber, Rodney from Tasmania. I've never been one for long phone conversations, but Rodney and I usually talk for 2 hours or more. Thank God for speaker phones because my hands can't hold onto anything for more than a few minutes.

I hope Everybody had a fun and safe New Years Eve. For my wife and I it was just another night. She had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off from work because it's no trouble for her to find people to work for triple pay. New Years nobody wanted to work for double pay so she had to. That's the trouble with being a nice General Manager. She won't force people to work, so she has too.

I had an eventful New Years Eve. I thought I had a pork lion in the freezer for dinner today, but I thought wrong. I had to go to the grocery store. Judging by all the people in the store I thought "they must be giving out free beer". Oh well I found a beautiful pork lion for $1.99 per pound and some other good deals as well. To top it off I checked my grocery store app and they had an electronic coupon for $10 off of a $50 purchase! I love saving money.

The events continued when I got home. I see my little beagle, Sophie shivering and I thought "it is kind of cold in here". I check the thermostat and sure enough it was only 64, it's set for 70. I see the thermostat says the batteries are low. I know that should not be the problem, but I was hoping. I replace the batteries and just as I expected, still no heat.

What's the chance of getting a HVAC technician late in the afternoon on New Years Eve? I thought "slim to none and slim is going out for the night". Guess who gets to be the HVAC tech? Me, do I have HVAC experience? Very little, but I am the odd man out. Time to learn how a high efficiency central air system with gas fired forced hot air works. I never worked on one of these before.

As it turned out this modern thing has a circuit board with diagnostic lights and a chart to tell me what they mean on the inside of the cover. The fault code said it was the pressure sensor switch open. Ok... what does a pressure sensor switch do? Let me see if there is an online service manual, nope. Frigidaire says "servicing furnaces is dangerous, call a certified technician" Thanks for nothing. Let me look at the schematic, ok the pressure switch allows current to pass to circuit board to allow the ignitor to light the gas.

(I'm back again, got side tracked when my little man (grandson) woke up. Even thought it's just him and I we are going to have a big holiday breakfast; bacon, sausage, fried ham, eggs and toast. It won't cook itself, so I had to get it started.)

The pressure sensor switch is a simple diaphragm operated by pressure or vacuum. I pull the air supply tube, the diaphragm works both ways, no help. I bypass the pressure switch and reset the furnace. Ignitor comes on but no gas flow. New fault code; "1 hour lockout". I guess that is something for safety? I pull every connection to everything and clean them while I wait. Finally, tired of waiting I reset the furnace, thank God it lights and has been operating fine ever since.

Maybe it was simply a stuck pressure sensor switch? I don't know, but I think I will have to find out sooner rather than later.

I know a wholesaler that sells appliance & HVAC parts, maybe they can get me a manual, I hope so.
Bruette: I have a a 93 % EER gas hot air unit in my attic that does that same thing. I found that that taking the rubber tube vacuum line off of the large metal diaphragm in front of the burner box and just blowing into it will clear it up and the igniter will work.

We've got one who sits at the end of our used car lot pretty much once a week. usually nab's a speeder or two then moves off.
The reference to the chain around the axle, harks back to the movie "American Graffitti". Richard Dreyfus, as I recall had the job of crawling under the car to tie the chain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back