Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruette

Beady your travels are amazing, I can't imagine moving so far. I have moved more times than I can easily recount, but never more than 13 miles from the home I was born into.

I too am a big fan of the USPS, they do a great job. Although I often choose UPS for my stuff. They give me great service and they are teamsters. That is enough for me to justify paying a little more.

migalyto

Good Morning all,

Had another ice storm last night so most of the schools canceled again for today. Been a weird weather year. My drive to work was about 20 or so minutes longer, but I took it slow. It always amazes me the people who are in such a hurry in this weather, and take risks to speed and pass.

Have a safe day everyone!

Bruette

Good Morning all,

Had another ice storm last night so most of the schools canceled again for today. Been a weird weather year. My drive to work was about 20 or so minutes longer, but I took it slow. It always amazes me the people who are in such a hurry in this weather, and take risks to speed and pass.

Have a safe day everyone!
Mike those speeders running late are going to hurt somebody, it's only a matter of time. I'm glad to hear you made it safely to work.

I'm old school, I take my time on the roads, even in good weather.

I leave early because in my mind if you are not at least 10 minutes early, you are already late.

Bruette

ok, I'm getting old, but I'm cool with it.
I'm old enough to remember this;
I had more fun than most do in 3 lifetimes and lived to tell about it! I got great kids, grandkids and I sleep every night with the woman of my dreams, the love of my life, my angel, my wife.

Bruette

1549978628349.png

Raincoat2

Good morning everyone. 33 and cloudy out there. Roller coaster weather continues in these parts.

Sorry I missed the forum yesterday. Things got really hectic. Looks like some good rock music videos were posted - - always up for that.

My wife will be coming home from the CTCA hospital in Zion, IL this week - not sure yet whether Thursday or Friday. Remember that late 1980's song by Cinderella "Don't Know What You Got ('Til It's Gone)"?? That's how I feel after 4 weeks without my wife!!! I will welcome her home royally!!!

Haven't had too much time in the train room lately, trying to keep the house going and feed myself :p But I did get some scenicking and ballasting done this past weekend. Got to take some photos and post them to show progress.

Time for coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Bruette

Good morning everyone. 33 and cloudy out there. Roller coaster weather continues in these parts.

Sorry I missed the forum yesterday. Things got really hectic. Looks like some good rock music videos were posted - - always up for that.

My wife will be coming home from the CTCA hospital in Zion, IL this week - not sure yet whether Thursday or Friday. Remember that late 1980's song by Cinderella "Don't Know What You Got ('Til It's Gone)"?? That's how I feel after 4 weeks without my wife!!! I will welcome her home royally!!!

Haven't had too much time in the train room lately, trying to keep the house going and feed myself :p But I did get some scenicking and ballasting done this past weekend. Got to take some photos and post them to show progress.

Amen Johnny, Godspeed for your wife.

N

NP2626

Bruette, you got my juices flowin' this morning! Who cares about the weather, with ACDC?

Boris

Beach Bum
Good morning y'all, 34° with sleet. going to 39° later with rain through tomorrow. :(

Our risk adverse governor from Goldman Sacks, declared a statewide state of emergency for this storm, even though half the state is not affected. Commercial traffic is banned except on toll roads. (Can't deprive the state of toll revenue, eh?).

Meanwhile, I have no plans on going anywhere today...one of the advantages of being retired, Maybe I will spend some time painting windows for my structure kit.

Over all, the USPS is OK, I suppose service quality depends on the facility or location. Our local PO has offered fewer counter hours than USPS standard and they get away with it, claiming to be a branch of another Main Post Office. However, our regular carrier is great. So, it's a mixed bag.

Boris

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor

Great news Johnny , I know you will have the red carpet ready for her!

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning All. 39° and clear as can be. Rain has finally moved off to the east. Nice weather is forecast for a week and then the cold and possible snow returns next Tuesday.
Today is my wife's birthday. She would be mad if she knew that I posted that she is 69 years young today, but I won't tell her.
Out back in the train shed, it was dry and warm. I got some more ground cover in place but mostly ran some trains. Over at the workbench I finished painting all of the windows on the DPM structure that's currently being assembled.
Here's a close-up picture of the slaughterhouse that I forgot to post the other day.
02-09-19 006.JPG

Garry -
For instance, home improvement contractors will quote a lower price if customers agree to pay in cash instead of with a check, and we know why. There are many ways to avoid paying income taxes. ....
Of course most of us have seen that happen and I have taken advantage of the cut rates many times. However what many don't realize and some of my friends who did this have discovered, when the time comes, Social Security payments are rather dismal and you hopefully have saved a lot of the money, many haven't. One extreme case is our friends in the horse business. She trained a lot of horses off the books, and he transported many horses off the books. At 71, he still has to transport them, and she (68) has a job as an accountant at a local business because their combined SS is less than $800/month. That barely covers utilities and the feed bill for the horses that they still own. I never worked off the books but my wife did for a few years.
Sherrel - My credit union tells me what the dealership paid for the car and advises me not to pay more than 5% above that. I'll toy with the salesman for a bit and then tell him what they will lend and after he agrees, I pay cash anyway. That eliminates the kickback as well as any interest I might have paid. I have gotten up and started walking out before and the sales manager chased me down in the parking lot and accepted the offer that the salesman turned down. He even threw in a full-sized spare as a bonus. As Chet posted, best time is at the end of a month, not only for the reason that he gave, but in many cases it's a matter of meeting the quota or collecting a bonus for exceeding the quota.
Chet - Hope that the doctor visit goes well for you.
Curt - Enjoy the meal at McDonald's.:eek:
Karl - Neat structure.
Johnny - Great news this morning.

Last move that I made in 1981, was from a smallish 950 sq ft rental house into the 1500 sq ft house that we still live in today. Borrowed a box truck from work and moved everything. It didn't all actually fit! Partly because my wife wanted space between stuff instead of everything butted against each other. A couple of couches resided in the yard for a few months until I finally set them ablaze. The exciting thing was moving an oversized (10' x 16') chicken house (with 70 chickens penned up inside) loaded on an 18' utility trailer, for a distance of 20 miles at about 15 mph through a town without getting caught. It didn't slip off the trailer until it was nearly in position at the new house. Original intent was to jack it up, pull the trailer out and then lower it to the concrete blocks. It ended up about two feet from where it was intended to go and subsequently had to be raised and the blocks slid in place. It's still there today although it's now in disrepair.

Of course today is also Abe Lincoln's birthday. We used to celebrate this day when I was younger but politicians/bureaucrats changed that.
Everybody have a great day. Still jammin' to ACDC here. That's my favorite from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.