Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris

Beach Bum
At the risk of upsetting someone, the current abuse of government programs dates back to their inception during the Roosevelt years. Once someone realizes that they can get something for nothing, they will take advantage of it. Why do you think all advertising aimed at "Seniors" includes multiple mention of the word "FREE"? Something for nothing attracts attention and gets response.

There are many government programs that should be cancelled, but won't be. The "entitlements" are spread among various demographic voting blocks to insure that there is wide spread support of all programs, regardless of beneficiary. Agribusiness does not need corporate welfare, but a new Farm Subsidy program does just that...Bankers received additional benefits in the recent tax law change. ostensibly to loan more money to "small business". Instead they raised rates, cut back lending and initiated buyback programs to raise the stock price...Meanwhile, the chumps in the middle class who try to do the right thing, have seen their taxes either remain at the same level as before or increase.

No one is willing to give up "their" programs. It's always the other guys that's wasteful and filled with fraud.

Boris

truckdad

Gentlemen, This Wed., the mrs. & I and our neighborhood bunco group will be boarding the EB Amtrak in Colfax, CA for a trip over Donner Pass to Reno. Lots & lots of snow at this time so it should be an interesting trip as long as we don't end up like the "City of San Francisco" did on Jan 13-16 in 1952. ( I will have a supply of peppermint schnapps, just in case) Coming back on Friday & will try to post a few pics if there is more to see than a white wall of snow. In the meantime, here is a link to some good reading of the event.
Dave
http://cprr.org/Museum/Stranded_Streamliner_1952/index.html

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Good afternoon. It's kind of sprinkling rain here, and 47.
The new replacement computer arrived today, and I was able to transfer nearly a terabyte of data onto it in about 20 minutes. For you non-technical people, that equals a lot of stuff.
I have movies, videos, pictures, music, files, articles I've written, entire annuals of magazines, and a few games thrown in for good measure.
The computer has a total of 12 cores at 4.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, a 512GB nvme SSD and a 2TB storage drive.
And I remember the day I got a computer with a 256MB HDD, I thought to myself "Self, I'll never fill up that much space"!
Little did I know...

Boris

Beach Bum
And I remember the day I got a computer with a 256MB HDD, I thought to myself "Self, I'll never fill up that much space"!
Little did I know...
Terry: I recall thinking the same thing with an 80MB HHD. Amazing what one can store any more.
Boris

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then spent all afternoon at son's Lasik doctors appointment. It was 2 hours of waiting for a 20 minute procedure:(. I have to drive him back there at 9 am tomorrow for a post procedure appointment. MOH will be acting librarian at daughter's elementary school tomorrow all day. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the workbench:( tomorrow afternoon. Also tomorrow we have the joy of eating at McDonalds for supper to support daughter's school fund raiser.:eek:

Karl- I would think putting a plastic tube (possibly aquarium air tubing) on the LED light. Also maybe using a heat gun to shrink the tubing so it's tight on the LED. I haven't tried it but it might work.

Joe- Thank you. I see very similar things at the community free clinic.

Garry- Thank you. I'm sorry to hear of the theft.

Toot- That looks horrible. I hope all your family is OK.

Louis- I talk to Phil almost every week and will see him on Thursday. I will pass on your greeting and well wishes.

Willie- Thank you.

I hope everyone has a good night.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Afternoon All. It's 57° and still sprinkling. Additional .15" since this morning. Dreary day all day. Just came in from the train shed, a little earlier than normal, but the puddles are getting bigger and I am no longer a good leaper. Went for a short stroll in the garden during a lull in the rain and I am happy to note that all of the onions and garlic plants survived the temperature drop into the lower 20's the other night.
Beady -
Nope. The deal was, she gets the house, I get the basement. I'm slowly getting it in shape so I'll never have to see the surface of the earth, again. There's the sink, the toilet, the refrigerator, the toilet, the coffee maker, and my toys. What more does a man need? Oh, I did trade her a corner of the basement for her Christmas collection, for a corner of the laundry for my gun safe.
Hope that she left you room in the bed. Toilet twice???

tootnkumin

Staff member
Toot- That looks horrible. I hope all your family is OK.
It's all well to the northwest of us, we did get touched briefly by the cloud, associated with it for some heavy showers, but it has now passed out into the Coral Sea. There were, possibly still are, concerns that it could reform out there, even into a Cyclone, but haven't heard anything yet. The cleanup from it is only getting started. It's going to be massive and expensive.

Beady

Good Afternoon All. It's 57° and still sprinkling. Additional .15" since this morning. Dreary day all day. Just came in from the train shed, a little earlier than normal, but the puddles are getting bigger and I am no longer a good leaper. Went for a short stroll in the garden during a lull in the rain and I am happy to note that all of the onions and garlic plants survived the temperature drop into the lower 20's the other night.
Beady -

Hope that she left you room in the bed. Toilet twice???
Bed - Of course, it's been cold! Toilet - Yes; I do my best thinking there.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Karl- I would think putting a plastic tube (possibly aquarium air tubing) on the LED light. Also maybe using a heat gun to shrink the tubing so it's tight on the LED. I haven't tried it but it might work.

Curt, I was thinking of something along those lines, but 4 to 5 times smaller. My other thought was a UV Led (is there such a thing?) hidden and directing its light onto phosphorescent paint on the signage. Mainly the Mel's drive-in sign on the "kitchen"structure.
American-Graffiti-1-1000x714.jpg

I'm open to any other ideas...

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Gentlemen, This Wed., the mrs. & I and our neighborhood bunco group will be boarding the EB Amtrak in Colfax, CA for a trip over Donner Pass to Reno. Lots & lots of snow at this time so it should be an interesting trip as long as we don't end up like the "City of San Francisco" did on Jan 13-16 in 1952. ( I will have a supply of peppermint schnapps, just in case) Coming back on Friday & will try to post a few pics if there is more to see than a white wall of snow. In the meantime, here is a link to some good reading of the event.
Dave

DAVE -- Sounds like a fun trip. Wish I were close enough to go with you.

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Curt, I was thinking of something along those lines, but 4 to 5 times smaller. My other thought was a UV Led (is there such a thing?) hidden and directing its light onto phosphorescent paint on the signage. Mainly the Mel's drive-in sign on the "kitchen"structure.
American-Graffiti-1-1000x714.jpg

I'm open to any other ideas...

Karl -- I have loads of extremely small tubing from my daughters insulin pump to body connection. I just am not sure what might fit inside in the way of lighting? If you want - I will send you some?

Trussrod

Dave

Dave:. With the heavy snow fall the area has been having you don't want wind up being another Donner party !

Last edited:

Bruette

Good morning Everybody!

I would have been here sooner, but it's trash day and then my Tucker wanted attention, we had an unusually long hug fest. Then my wife woke up for work. I enjoy spending time with her before she goes to work. As she gets dressed for work I make her lunch. Next was cleaning the ice off of her car, that was easy enough. After watching my wife drive away I came in, refilled my coffee and came up to my desk. Before I could get situated Sophie came up and wanted her hug and attention. I love my beagles.

Yesterday was busy. Tucker had his staples removed. I asked them to count them for me, it was a total of 22. Tucker is doing great!

I came home and rather than whine, cry or complain to you guys about what is happening with these government programs I chose to write to my Senators and my Congressmen. I doubt I will get very far, but as I have said before, "failure motivates me". If this situation does improve, it won't be extremists who improve it.

I wonder how different things might be if George H. W, Bush had won in 1980 or had been reelected in 1992, John McCain had won in 2008? I don't think we would have the polarization, corruption and chaos we have now. Our country needs people willing to make sacrifices for our nation. We need reasonable, intelligent, experienced and most of all people willing to compromise now more than ever.

On ward to better things. I spent some time with my baseball cards yesterday. I can actually get to most of them. I every time I have moved the first things I pack up and move are my sports cards and record albums. They are also the first things I unpack. My train room/office/play pen is divided by two set of shelves jetting out from each wall. One has my sports cards, the other my record albums. These are some of the few things I have had for nearly my entire life. Many of the sports cards were from Jack and a few of the record albums are from my sisters. I even have some games from my youth, but they are still packed away. These things are among the few things I managed to keep in my separation from my ex-wife along with my daughter, her bedroom set, my Dalmatian and a TV my ex-wife hated. Alas my old TV did not survive, I miss my old Zenith floor model TV. I slept so very good on the floor with my Dalmatian in front of that TV in my otherwise empty, but peaceful townhouse. Richard Nixon actually lived in that rental complex when he was in the Navy. It's across the lagoon from Martin Aviation in Middle River. At one time the world's best seaplanes were built on the other side of Martin's lagoon from where I lived.

I pulled out my baseball cards to look at my Frank Robinson cards, I miss him, but the memories I have of him live on.

And now Sophie is back and on my pap :)

Bruette

Good afternoon. It's kind of sprinkling rain here, and 47.
The new replacement computer arrived today, and I was able to transfer nearly a terabyte of data onto it in about 20 minutes. For you non-technical people, that equals a lot of stuff.
I have movies, videos, pictures, music, files, articles I've written, entire annuals of magazines, and a few games thrown in for good measure.
The computer has a total of 12 cores at 4.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, a 512GB nvme SSD and a 2TB storage drive.
Little did I know...
Congratulations Terry, I hope this is the beginning of a streak of good fortune for you!

Beady

Good morning Everybody!

I would have been here sooner, but it's trash day and then my Tucker wanted attention, we had an unusually long hug fest. Then my wife woke up for work. I enjoy spending time with her before she goes to work. As she gets dressed for work I make her lunch. Next was cleaning the ice off of her car, that was easy enough. After watching my wife drive away I came in, refilled my coffee and came up to my desk. Before I could get situated Sophie came up and wanted her hug and attention. I love my beagles.

Yesterday was busy. Tucker had his staples removed. I asked them to count them for me, it was a total of 22. Tucker is doing great!

I came home and rather than whine, cry or complain to you guys about what is happening with these government programs I chose to write to my Senators and my Congressmen. I doubt I will get very far, but as I have said before, "failure motivates me". If this situation does improve, it won't be extremists who improve it.

I wonder how different things might be if George H. W, Bush had won in 1980 or had been reelected in 1992, John McCain had won in 2008? I don't think we would have the polarization, corruption and chaos we have now. Our country needs people willing to make sacrifices for our nation. We need reasonable, intelligent, experienced and most of all people willing to compromise now more than ever.

On ward to better things. I spent some time with my baseball cards yesterday. I can actually get to most of them. I every time I have moved the first things I pack up and move are my sports cards and record albums. They are also the first things I unpack. My train room/office/play pen is divided by two set of shelves jetting out from each wall. One has my sports cards, the other my record albums. These are some of the few things I have had for nearly my entire life. Many of the sports cards were from Jack and a few of the record albums are from my sisters. I even have some games from my youth, but they are still packed away. These things are among the few things I managed to keep in my separation from my ex-wife along with my daughter, her bedroom set, my Dalmatian and a TV my ex-wife hated. Alas my old TV did not survive, I miss my old Zenith floor model TV. I slept so very good on the floor with my Dalmatian in front of that TV in my otherwise empty, but peaceful townhouse. Richard Nixon actually lived in that rental complex when he was in the Navy. It's across the lagoon from Martin Aviation in Middle River. At one time the world's best seaplanes were built on the other side of Martin's lagoon from where I lived.

I pulled out my baseball cards to look at my Frank Robinson cards, I miss him, but the memories I have of him live on.

And now Sophie is back and on my pap :)
Thinking back on all the moves we've made in our marriage, and all the possessions that did and didn't survive... The first major move was from Michigan to Alaska, when unemployment and Mrs Beady's health forced me back into the Coast Guard for three years. That was relatively easy, since we didn't have much and the government took care of most of it. When we left Alaska for Vermont, it was two years after my discharge, we'd acquired quite a bit and the government was out of the picture. To prepare, we sold the furniture and several other things, shipped via USPS 20 cartons of kitchen and other goods 20 cartons of books. Then I loaded the remainder into a U-Haul trailer, put the wife, two kids and the dog into a VW Rabbit, and crossed the continent. Then, 35 years later, we loaded everything into a rented truck, paid one son to drive it, and we took our two cats in the car back to Michigan. Through it all, I was accompanied by my two-volume copy of The Annotated Sherlock Holmes, and a small travelling chess set. Little else has survived from the beginning. The first casualty I remember was my plywood-and-sawhorse hobby table; I still miss it, although I don't know why. BTW, when we shipped all that stuff from Alaska? Every carton beat us to Vermont, with no damage or loss. Since then, I have refused to put up with any criticism of the USPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.