Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, y'all. 30° with light snowfall.

Garry: That sucks. What you describe is something one would expect in Newark, but can happen any where.

Louis: Concerning SNAP and other government programs, none of this is new or unusual. It's been going on for years. When I was in High School, I used to walk past a fire station where twice a month, they authorities would distribute surplus food (yellow cheese, powdered milk, powdered eggs), ostensibly to the needy. Used to see folks in late model Cadillacs, pull up and walk in, coming out with a bounty of free food. Ultimately, I recognized one of the people as a local luncheonette operator. Meanwhile, this was at a time when my father was unemployed more often than not. Our family actually qualified for the food, but false pride and "principal" prevented my parents from claiming their allotment. So nothing has changed. If you want to abuse the system, no problem. Legitimate needy, if there is such a thing, are more likely not to take advantage, while schemers help themselves. The only way to resolve the problem is to completely discontinue the programs, and that ain't going to happen.

There is a huge underground economy in this country, and a lot of barter. Most of this goes unreported, and unnoticed. It's free, unregulated, capitalism at its finest. Remember, "Private School is Expensive".

Much of what is purchased at Costco, is resold in Bodegas and ethnic delis. There is a woman who buys multiple bolts of the cheap fabric sold at our local Hobby Lobby, that is resold on sewing and quilting web sites and evilbay. No way she can sew that much herself. Enterprise is a wonderful thing for those who can exploit the system.

Boris

I don't quite get this. They can't afford to put positive rail control across the country but they want to build a high speed rail system. Lets get train control on all the railroads we have now in case you never get the high speed rail built. Early on when I worked for the RR an engineer told me make sure your down to the speed limit on sharp turns. Otherwise you could find your self out in the woods. So in 1975 when they were installing train control on the Hudson line I wondered why they didn't have any sensors on the Spuyten Duyvil turn? Well after the big train accident there they installed a senor. The latest accident where the train was doing 79 mph, that's the top speed you can go without train control, on a 30 mph turn killed how many people? There's no train control on that system. Lets first outfit all the railroads we have now with train control including the turns and then dream about some high speed rail system across the country later.

George

Good morning ...

George .... I liked your comment regarding recent proposals by naive politicians about high speed rail. ... The CA HSR project is billions over its budget, and may ultimately cosyt about $100 billion to build it. That does not count the operating subsidies it undoubtedly will need after it is running. ..... A conventional diesel can exceed 100 mph, and I don't see the need for the high tech trains politicians are buying. (Oh wait. That's "fissile fuel". Crazy pelicans can't have that!)..... Your comments on positive train control make sense. ... Focus should be on the tracks and on minimizing highway crossings. ....

Louis.... I would not trust the government's 1.5% number regarding SNAPS fraud. Bureaucrats don't keep a tally on how many cheat the government. ... Yes, there should be more oversight, but who would do the oversight? More inept, overpaid bureaucrats ?

Boris .... I agree the only way to solve such problems is to end the programs. Like you, I doubt that happens. .... Again, when I look at the definition of "government" I do not see "a source of funds to pay people's living expenses."

Willie .... The income tax system invites people to cheat on taxes. For instance, home improvement contractors will quote a lower price if customers agree to pay in cash instead of with a check, and we know why. There are many ways to avoid paying income taxes. .... One reason why government invites fraud, is many people do not want their hard earned money used by politicians to buy votes by giving free stuff to freeloaders. People work hard to buy their own food, clothing, and shelter. People pay for their own cell phones and it is insetting to them when welfare recipients get cell phones provide by the government.

Willie .... The income tax system invites people to cheat on taxes. For instance, home improvement contractors will quote a lower price if customers agree to pay in cash instead of with a check, and we know why. There are many ways to avoid paying income taxes. .... One reason why government invites fraud, is many people do not want their hard earned money used by politicians to buy votes by giving free stuff to freeloaders. People work hard to buy their own food, clothing, and shelter. People pay for their own cell phones and it is insetting to them when welfare recipients get cell phones provide by the government.
Garry - Very well put. You express my feelings without stepping over the politics line which I might have done. If people voted sensibly then the free stuff would disappear, government would shrink and taxes would truly go down.

Good morning - coffee and a bearclaw please.
It's presently 32 degrees - I cannot find the low for the night! High is expected to only get to 59 again with a brilliant clear sky.
You guys all seem to have the government pretty well figured out. I just have never been able to understand paying people for not doing something? I will admit that there are a few who can not work at all, but the total is far few of those who are scaming the system. Who came up with idea of paying people to have kids - that was brilliant? Louis is correct - The system needs overhauled, but we all know that it will never happen.
I'm just happy that I may not be around to see how it all ends ... what scares me is that it may end sooner than I really wish for.

Well - I must drag out a big table and start sorting, and looking, for whatever "Tax information" I may need.
Spousal Unit and I may go and check out an auto or two this afternoon. I have not talked to a car salesperson in 13 years - not something I look forward too - I always feel cheated the next day!

Concerning SNAP and other government programs, none of this is new or unusual. It's been going on for years. When I was in High School, I used to walk past a fire station where twice a month, they authorities would distribute surplus food (yellow cheese, powdered milk, powdered eggs), ostensibly to the needy. Used to see folks in late model Cadillacs, pull up and walk in, coming out with a bounty of free food.
Joe - Same memories here, but at least back then it was real food (OK, close to real food) instead of soft drinks, snack foods and other junk that I see SNAP users buying these days. Bonus, it provided income for farmers rather than big business by propping up the price. Side note - Walmart received $12.7 billion in SNAP payments in 2017, 18% of their food sales.
I wonder if Amazon accepts SNAP cards for Whole Foods? I know that the brick and mortar stores do.

Found a new weather site for the local!

Temecula Forecast
Monday, February 11, 2019

Following a cold morning, expect a warming trend through Tuesday, under fair skies. Today will be on the cool side, tomorrow mild, and both days will be dry. The entire rest of the week looks wet, with Wednesday and Thursday particularly so, as an atmospheric river sets up to douse the already soggy region. Expect heavy rain by Wednesday afternoon, lasting the Thursday evening. Between two and three inches of precipitation is predicted locally. Subtropical moisture will keep snow levels in the local mountains near just 7,500 feet.
A second low pressure system will continue lighter periods of showers all the way into the weekend.

Today: Sunny and cool. Patchy frost early , high near 57°F .
Pollen level is rated "medium".
Predicted air quality is good, AQI: 33 (courtesy of the SCAQMD).
Tonight: Mostly clear and cold, low around 39°F.
Tuesday: Partly sunny, high of about 65°F.
Tuesday night:Mostly cloudy and cool, low near 45°F.
Wednesday: Mostly cloudy. Cool and breezy. 30 percent chance of rain in the morning, then a 75 percent chance of rain in the afternoon, high around 59°F.
Wednesday night: Mostly cloudy. Cool and breezy. 80 percent chance of rain in the evening, then a 75 percent chance of rain after midnight, low of about 49°F.
Thursday: Mostly cloudy and breezy. 60 percent chance of rain in the morning, then a 65 percent chance of rain in the afternoon, high near 62°F.
Thursday night: Mostly cloudy and breezy. 35 percent chance of rain, low around 51°F.
Friday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers, high of about 61°F.
Friday night: Mostly cloudy and cool. Slight chance of showers, low near 48°F.
Saturday: Mostly cloudy and cool. Slight chance of showers, high around 60°F.
Saturday night: Mostly cloudy and cool. Chance of showers, low of about 46°F.
Sunday: Partly sunny. Chance of showers, high near 60°F.

Eat your heart out MARK ... LOL
Now I only have to post the local weather once a week?

Beady - Congratulations on the clean-up. Get something going soon before your wife puts something in the way. I like the Homer Simpson cut-out!;)
Nope. The deal was, she gets the house, I get the basement. I'm slowly getting it in shape so I'll never have to see the surface of the earth, again. There's the sink, the toilet, the refrigerator, the toilet, the coffee maker, and my toys. What more does a man need? Oh, I did trade her a corner of the basement for her Christmas collection, for a corner of the laundry for my gun safe.

Spousal Unit and I may go and check out an auto or two this afternoon. I have not talked to a car salesperson in 13 years - not something I look forward too - I always feel cheated the next day!
Just remember, it's his job to sell, it's not your job to buy. Here's a question for you to put in your pocket and haul out at need: "What can you do for me?" That puts the onus on them to lower the price. A really fun tactic I've used is to almost close the deal, then tell the salesman you want to check out another dealer. Almost close the deal at the 2nd dealer, step outside (but make it obvious) and call the 1st dealer to tell him about the 2nd dealership's offer, then tell the 2nd dealer... Repeat as desired. It takes time, but can be fun. Besides, for the amount of money you'll be spending, you literally owe it to yourself to take your time. It certainly makes more sense than taking the first offer, just to get it over with.

Found a new weather site for the local!

Temecula Forecast
Monday, February 11, 2019

Following a cold morning, expect a warming trend through Tuesday, under fair skies. Today will be on the cool side, tomorrow mild, and both days will be dry. The entire rest of the week looks wet, with Wednesday and Thursday particularly so, as an atmospheric river sets up to douse the already soggy region. Expect heavy rain by Wednesday afternoon, lasting the Thursday evening. Between two and three inches of precipitation is predicted locally. Subtropical moisture will keep snow levels in the local mountains near just 7,500 feet.
A second low pressure system will continue lighter periods of showers all the way into the weekend.

Today: Sunny and cool. Patchy frost early , high near 57°F .
Pollen level is rated "medium".
Predicted air quality is good, AQI: 33 (courtesy of the SCAQMD).
Tonight: Mostly clear and cold, low around 39°F.
Tuesday: Partly sunny, high of about 65°F.
Tuesday night:Mostly cloudy and cool, low near 45°F.
Wednesday: Mostly cloudy. Cool and breezy. 30 percent chance of rain in the morning, then a 75 percent chance of rain in the afternoon, high around 59°F.
Wednesday night: Mostly cloudy. Cool and breezy. 80 percent chance of rain in the evening, then a 75 percent chance of rain after midnight, low of about 49°F.
Thursday: Mostly cloudy and breezy. 60 percent chance of rain in the morning, then a 65 percent chance of rain in the afternoon, high near 62°F.
Thursday night: Mostly cloudy and breezy. 35 percent chance of rain, low around 51°F.
Friday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers, high of about 61°F.
Friday night: Mostly cloudy and cool. Slight chance of showers, low near 48°F.
Saturday: Mostly cloudy and cool. Slight chance of showers, high around 60°F.
Saturday night: Mostly cloudy and cool. Chance of showers, low of about 46°F.
Sunday: Partly sunny. Chance of showers, high near 60°F.

Eat your heart out MARK ... LOL
Now I only have to post the local weather once a week?
Saturday's forecast is a little worrisome.

FB_IMG_1541187608355.jpg

BEADY - That sounds like a hell of a plan with the salesman - I wish that I had the ability to carry it out. My problem is that I have never been much good at bartering - my bad I am sure. I hate the "Let me run that by my manager" with a pashion!

I like your weather forcast! It has possibilities.

GARRY - I am sorry to hear of what happened to your BIL. What was he thinking? His mind surely was not engaged!

BEADY - That sounds like a hell of a plan with the salesman - I wish that I had the ability to carry it out. My problem is that I have never been much good at bartering - my bad I am sure. I hate the "Let me run that by my manager" with a pashion!

I like your weather forcast! It has possibilities.
Alright, then, here's a softer approach: If you don't like the car or the deal, walk away. Remember, it's not your job to buy, and you're under no obligation until you sign. Even then, many states give you a day or three to change your mind.

Fun fact: The car dealership term for people who pay the sticker price is "Barefoot Virgins."

thes is a tert (this is a test)
OK - this is silly!

I did this using MS Edge and it wants to ask to correct spelling errors.

If I use Google Chrome (that I have used for years) It will not offer suggestions for misspelled words.

Question: Is Edge the same, or part of Bing that Louis subscribes too?

On another note; Are we not using floppies anymore? That's all I have now days - is a floppy, or sometimes a fatty.

Alright, then, here's a softer approach: If you don't like the car or the deal, walk away. Remember, it's not your job to buy, and you're under no obligation until you sign. Even then, many states give you a day or three to change your mind.

Beady -- I still have my pride -- A bad deal is better than no deal! :eek::rolleyes::D

Good morning. Starting the day off at a positive 6 this morning. That was yesterdays high.

Beady
- I find that car dealers can be a lot of fun to deal with. I think they'll do just about anything to do to sell a car. I was at a dealer a while back and was interested in a car until I found out that it had a CVT transmission, which I can stand. I have driven a couple as rental cars and had them back to the rental agency within hours because I don't like them. The salesman was doing everything he could to detail the virtues of the CVT. Can't count how many times I said no. The best time to buy a car is at the end of the month because dealers want to get the cars sold so they don't have to pay the interest on them. When I bought my 2005 Buick Le Sabre, I got it in 2005. The Le Sabre was discontinued in 2005 and got the car brand new at over $8,000 off the MSRP and a full tank of gas to boot. As I have stated many times, I have now been driven out of the new car market because of all of the technology that is now standard on most cars that I really have no use for. Another advantage up here is that when registering a car, the cost is based on the value of the car. They use the NADA book. Once a car is ten years old, you can get permanent tags by paying for 2 years registration. I haven't had to pay for tags for years. The pld Buick runs like new and there is nothing at all wrong with it and I can get between 29 to 34 MPG with it. I like my buttons, knobs and switches.

Government Programs
- A good way to mile the government for many people. Years ago when I was a state trooper, I had to go to the county court house for trials and saw so many people scrafing up on the free stuff and driving off in their Cadillacs and Lincolns. There was a guy that used to be on our bowling league who has milked Workman Comp for thousands. No wonder employers want to know if a new employee has ever had a Workmans Comp claim.

Louis - Interest fact about the SNAP cards. No wonder the government is going broke.

Ray
- Interesting photo. Happy that the crew was rescued.

Garry - Interesting story about one leaving their keys in the car. banghead_125.gif

Mark - I am beginning to hate winter period. Today is the first day that the low has been above zero in around 10 days.

Jim - those were some nice photos you posted. Thumb up.gif

Think I'll head down to the train room and run some trains. Too cold to venture outside.

Tomorrow I see the doctor to discuss the results of the MRI on the shoulder. That should be interesting.

Here's a rail picture for today.

goshen-pond-may-2012-0232.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back