Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang, we usually have turkey!

Willie:
Well...:rolleyes:, at least she behaved herself...

David: Chimney fires can be real nasty, and creosote is insidious, in that it frequently doesn't show itself.

Chet: Another nice view of the NCL. I will have a photo of the NYC cabin posted later today.

Was 30° when I got up this morning, supposed to reach 60°, before the rain comes. Frequently, at this time of year, the temperature rises overnight, and drops during the day. This may be one of those days. The electrical problems on my staging siding reappeared yesterday. Appears the problem is on the common wire rail. need to change joiners, or something.

Joe Hope that you enjoyed having your MIL for Thanksgiving - I tried that once, but she was a mean and tough old bird.

Willie - You are quick with the wit! That was funny.

Nice morning - out walking with my two doggies and picking stickers from their paws a few times. Jumped two fairly size covey of quail - one was 10-12 birds and the other must have been over 20. My dogs, I don't think, have seen but maybe 1-2 before at a time, and the little one jumped about 30 inches straight up .. was funny to see! He is small and managed to just about get on top of them when they launched.

A quick hello from Laurel, MT. Beautiful day. 4 games down, 8 to go.

Taking a break for lunch and then back to the lanes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Afternoon All,

Did some chores and went to a grocery store earlier and then I watched the very disappointing UF/FSU game. We did find out today that the bottom heating element in the oven is bad so I need to order a new one.

VA Ken- Nice video.

CA Dave- I glad everything worked out OK with your chimney fire.

Chet- Good luck with your bowling.

I hope everyone has a good night.

NYC Caboose 11-25-2017.JPG
Chet:
Buford Shops Cabin. Very nice model, well worth the wait. BTW: Sounds like a successful tournament.

Sherrel: Buzzard, would be a better description for my MIL. :rolleyes:

Curt: Bottom heating element, isn't that bad a repair, but did this cause the oven fire?

Willie - All I'm going to say is that November 9th you stated that your rain gauge had .75 inch in it.

Don't go trying to pull that, "no rain since August 24" on us ... Hello?

JOE Nice looking "hack"! Looks to clean - must be fresh out of the shop?

Curt and David - You boys better be careful playing with those fires ... especially David with that shake shingle maybe 50 year old roof. Glad that neither suffered any major damage.

OK .. Will be busy tomorrow AM and depending on traffic - it may take me a long time to make it back home.
Today i went out shooting with my son and two of his friends. Good Lord! They had at least 20 guns counting the pistols.
I think we busted about 600 rounds all total ... I surprised everyone with a first shot "bust" of a clay pigeon with a .308 automatic rifle.
I just lowered the gun, looked around at the three of them standing there with their mouths open, and said, "OK -- One Shot - One Kill! Now top that!" We really had a good time! I can't begin to describe all the calibers that we had. My son is quite the gunsmith and has built several AR type guns - all with different calibers from .223 to 12 gauge/with drum mag. Needless to say - We made a lot of noise today and reminded me of how little shooting I have done in the last 1/4 century.

I hope everyone has has a memorial Holiday weekend

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon Track Gang & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo, Francine, I see you've already started to trim for Christmas, well Tiss the Season alright. Jeffery Running Bear always
enjoyed this time of year as I recall.

74°F Mudge Ranch Station Report
3:35 PM PST on November 25, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 51°F
74°F Feels like 74°F & somewhat Cloudy if you can call the high wispy stuff clouds;
It's partially Sunny as well. WU is calling for rain tomorrow night but this report comes from an area that is about 5 miles North of me too at over twice the elevation too. Per the Cell Phone tomorrow, Sun., is only a 32% chance of rain and Mon. is 58% chance. So unless conditions increase, it probably won't rain much.
The Humidity is 48% per my cell phone which I believe is more specific to my location.
Winds are from the SE at 1.4 mph;

Good Morning All. 48° and clear with very light northerly winds, meaning a little cooler day today than yesterday - 78°.
Spent time out in the train shed, re-staging trains after the holiday runs, clearing out passing sidings so I can resume switching operations. Did a lot more work on detailing the DPM "Carol's Corner Cafe" that was in one of the pictures that I posted last week or so. It is slowly becoming a BBQ restaurant with an outdoor seating area. Built the "picnic tables" yesterday and they are still drying in the paint booth right now. Did some other work in the same town, but i am not close to finishing yet. Since the weather here is so beautiful right now and there are other things on the agenda, I am not spending as much time in the train shed as I would like. And of course it hasn't rained since August 24, I am forced to be indoors in the rain and what better place to be.

David - Watch out for those chimney fires. I keep my spark arrester clean and in good shape as it is one of the more important components of the system. My heater is a controlled draft one and the only chimney fire I ever had was when my wife left the door open once when she went to change a diaper. Stove surface was 850°. I usually keep it in the 275°-400° range for everyday heating. Your method of building a fire is similar to mine except that I use "starter boxes". I save my soft drink 12-pack boxes and fill them with "kindling" and a paper fuse (made from those wine bottle bags) to start the fire. I keep a handful on the covered porch at all times. An observation about wood, it only gets wet on the outside and if you use a dry starter box, the wetness evaporates in a few minutes.

Gotta go now, the Christmas music in the background is becoming rather grating to my ears.

Willie

Willie: Wow 850* one hell of a hot stove to contend with, I'll bet that would cook some ham and eggs real fast if it didn't melt the pan. LoL

Basically that true but I tend get a lot more moisture up this way so even with quite a hot fire it takes a while before they dry out especially if the moisture has soaked in.

Loved your quick witted reply to Joe.

Is, "Carol's Corner Cafe" going to searve Bar-b-Qued Buzzard?

Morning Folks: It's 60 degrees with a few very high wisps of clouds. High of 84 expected today.
Spent most of yesterday running errands with my son and eating leftovers, of which we probably will have again today. Fine with me - all the food was excellent.

What a shame that an area and city as large as Phoenix does not have rail service of at least one train a day. Tucson and/or Flagstaff is as close as one can get before switching to a bus/car. That's just not right!

Willie:

David: Chimney fires can be real nasty, and creosote is insidious, in that it frequently doesn't show itself.

Was 30° when I got up this morning, supposed to reach 60°, before the rain comes. Frequently, at this time of year, the temperature rises overnight, and drops during the day. This may be one of those days. The electrical problems on my staging siding reappeared yesterday. Appears the problem is on the common wire rail. need to change joiners, or something.

Say Joe: Glad you can take a bit of razzing. Glad she behaved, but being boiled in Oil, what else could she do??

Yes chimney fire can be a problem and I'm certainly not limber enough to get up in the attic to get over to the middle of the roof to inspect around it like I was in the past, quite some time back.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores and went to a grocery store earlier and then I watched the very disappointing UF/FSU game. We did find out today that the bottom heating element in the oven is bad so I need to order a new one.

CA Dave- I'm glad everything worked out OK with your chimney fire.

Curt: Thanks, Yes me too, I sure didn't need any kind of fire except in the fireplace. Glad your stove fire turned out ok too!

View attachment 63950
Chet:
Buford Shops Cabin. Very nice model, well worth the wait. BTW: Sounds like a successful tournament.

Sherrel: Buzzard, would be a better description for my MIL. :rolleyes:

Joe: Buzzards are a bit on the chewy side, aren't they? LoL

Good Morning Folks. 45° and clear to start today. Nothing significant happening around here, just another beautiful day. Cut some more firewood yesterday after maybe three weeks of inactivity. I tend to get lazy when I am not actually using it. This is the "freebie" wood that comes from where I used to work instead of trees. Well it once was trees! It's untreated oak 3" x 4" x 42" that I have to cut in half on the radial-arm saw in order to fit through the door of the wood-burning heater. On a normal heating day in January, it takes 14 pieces (seven whole) to heat the house for 24 hours. Since I haven't had a fire since Tuesday, I removed the ashes from inside the stove, and stored them for later use in the garden. Still eating turkey with all of the fixings around here, I did cut up and froze parts of it yesterday for future meals. I'm ready for a good steak right now and I have several in the freezer along with a prime rib roast. Ah, but it's too late for that tonight since it takes a while to thaw, so I guess that steak it is!
Actually spent some quality time in the train shed yesterday. Made some significant progress with that small town business district that I am working on but forgot to take any pictures. A small part of it is finally ready to display. Won't spend much time there today as we are going to lunch with some friends after church, the usual German food along with some "bier".

Joe - Very nice looking transfer caboose. You should get a lot of use from it.
Sherrel -
Willie - All I'm going to say is that November 9th you stated that your rain gauge had .75 inch in it.

.75" ain't no rain around here, that's just a minor shower especially since that was a 24 hour total if I recall. Now maybe in Southern CA, that's considered a rain! Heck, the cats never even retreated to under the house!
Have a safe trip home.
David -
Is, "Carol's Corner Cafe" going to searve Bar-b-Qued Buzzard?
Actually no. It is a Rudy's Country Store and BBQ, a locally famous chain with 41 locations across the Southwest, mostly Texas. They're different in that they smoke their meats with oak instead of the traditional mesquite wood. I have a "Roadkill Restaurant" elsewhere!

Everyone have a great Sunday.

Willie
We will experience a delay in posting until this website comes back on-line!!! This is three days in a row now.

Good morning .... Still busy

See some nice stuff posted recently in the Coffee Shop.

Ken (MD) ... Switcher looks great.

Ken (VA) ... The intermodal train in your video is impressive !

Joe .... I like the cabin car. ( I would refer to it as a transfer caboose. )

Chet ... Wow ! .... Your NCL looks fabulous in your videos. ...

I hope to be back on a normal schedule at the end of today. .......

Good morning fellers. So my road is officially painted. I attempted to do road lines and failed. So I had to throw down some more grey and I'll sand it down again. Looks like a passing lane through the layout for me. Oh well at least the road is pained and my structures are down. Next it'll be flocking more trees and hopefully in the near future people. I'll leave y'all a look at the town from the edge of the yard. Y'all have a great day.
80f9f28a1d4494a72a14afd39d4354b6.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning, Happy Sunday! 47° and sunny, with temperatures falling through the day.

Sherrel, Willy, and Garry: hanks for the comments on the cabin car, err caboose err transfer caboose. NYC called them a caboose, PRR terminology was Cabin, so on the PC, it was a way of determining whether one was Green or Red. It looks nice coupled to my NYC RS1 in the Cigar Band scheme.

David: Perhaps, what I was thinking of was a Turkey Buzzard :confused:.

It's quiet here, everyone left yesterday, to avoid todays traffic crunch, and is now safely home.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then I spent about 75 minutes staining the strip wood for the JV Models water tank. I used Hunterline Creosote for the base and Medium Brown for the tank. Taking Mom out to her favorite Mexican eatery tonight then back here for birthday cake.

Joe- Great looking caboose. The heating element appears intact (no damage). Apparently there was a puddle of grease in the center of the oven that caught fire. The broiler still works properly. I'm going to get the new heating element tomorrow and return the dryer heating element for a refund. They are about the same price.

Good afternoon. Overcast today but we still got up to the 60 degree mark. Quite unusual for up here.

Kicked butt at the tournament. Managed to get my poop in a group in one series and there is nobody within over a hundred pins of me. After rolling 12 games, my butt was kicked also. I had planned on doing some work on the layout but the right arm is a bit sore today.

Joe - Really like that caboose. When the arm gets better, mine will be the next project on the list.

here's one more video. The full length trai fouls up the entire yard when it is at the station. Time to get out of Dodge. Got a jerky start when trying to operated the camera and use the throttle.

I'm tarred. Time to get to the recliner and relax. May not be able to post tomorrow as I think my computer is still crapped out at work.

Later.
[video=youtube;kte-yloT1A0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kte-yloT1A0[/video]

Chet: Great tournament. Now, you need a great recovery to match. On the bright side, going to work will allow you to rest up :rolleyes:. Nice video. reminds me of the Auto train, after it was doubled up at Lorton, VA...Stretched half way to Fredericksburg. Practically speaking, a train that large would be made up on two separate tracks, until almost leaving time, when the engine crew, assisted by the "House Conductor", would double up the train. The Car department would give the train a "Road Test" that is an apply then release of the brakes, and make sure the steam was through, then notify the Train's Conductor that the train was his. I'm used to big stations, with long platforms handling 14 to 18 cars, (like PRR Station 30th Street, in Philadelphia), but most stations were smaller, and required a backing move when entering the station. If the train was longer than 8 - 10 cars, it would be split, in the station, so no one would be inconvenienced.

Curt:
Good that the cost will be negligible. Still, had to be a scary experience. Have fun celebrating your wife's birthday.

Good evening Track Gang,

Hi Flo - Francine, How about a big slice of Cheese Cake and coffee. Great, thanks.

61°F Wells rd Station Report
6:29 PM PST on November 26, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 44°F
61°F - Feels like 61°F Mostly Cloudy;
Winds are at 2 mph from the ENE with Gusts too 3 mph;
Humidity is at 49%;
Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today.

Talking about the Fire issue's recently, and maybe a bit of sixth sense, I went out to grab a few more pieces of Oak wood from the unstacked pile in the back yard last night at around 11:30 Pm. The odd part of this was I had some wood inside the back porch and only had a low fire going as it was actually only about 55°F out so not really cold to any extent. Also last night I decided to tur on the back yard flood lights where normally I'd just use my LED flash light but this way I had both hands free to crab a hunk of wood with. I'd made about tree trips and had a piece of wood leaned against the house from opening the door prior that I went to retreive and as I looked to the West across the back yard and over toward the trees near the property line it looked a bit strange to me as it seemed there was a greyish cloud amongst the trees and as I looked a bit more I thought I saw a bit of Red mixed in the grey. I watched a little longer and sure enough there was a fire going in the grass and under brush.

Fortunately the grass and brush were moist enough as well as having enough Humidity in the air so the fire moved somewhat slowly.

The water spigot/hose bib I have out back of the tool shed, somewhat close to this area wasn't connected in the water line due to plumbing problems so it didn't do any good and my knee joints felt far too inflexible to get out there and attempt to fight it so I call 911 and they put me in touch with Cal Fire, I guess it was who arrived about 15 minutes later. I directed them to the next road below my place which seemed to work out well as the fire spread in that direction to the East and West and only came a little bit in my direction because there was quite a bit of space my friend Joe had mowed down fairly close to the tree line area much earlier in May.

In talking with the Captian initially shortly after he arrived, and again later on when his crew had things fairly well cleaned up, I learned there were a number of suspicious fires between my area and Raymond.

So enough excitement for one late night and morning till about 3:30 Am.

Good morning, Happy Sunday! 47° and sunny, with temperatures falling through the day.

David: Perhaps, what I was thinking of was a Turkey Buzzard :confused:.

It's quiet here, everyone left yesterday, to avoid todays traffic crunch, and is now safely home.

Say Joe/Boris: I see many Turkey Vultures/Buzzards out here, they are an ugly bird. Rather sounds like the discreption of your Mil ! LoL

Willie:

Chet: Another nice view of the NCL. I will have a photo of the NYC cabin posted later today.

Say Joe/Boris: As far as your statement about the Creasote in my chimney, it's possible and probably was but when I looked down the fire clay flue it looked fairly clean to me but I didn't have an LED light to shine down there to really check things out good. I could have been a build up of the junk on the heater-a-lator tubes as well as the damper and other portions of the fire place heat-a-lator.

Curt and David - You boys better be careful playing with those fires ... especially David with that shake roof, maybe 50 year old roof. Glad that neither suffered any major damage.

OK .. Will be busy tomorrow AM and depending on traffic - it may take me a long time to make it back home.
Today i went out shooting with my son and two of his friends. Good Lord! They had at least 20 guns counting the pistols.
I think we busted about 600 rounds all total ... I surprised everyone with a first shot "bust" of a clay pigeon with a .308 automatic rifle.
I just lowered the gun, looked around at the three of them standing there with their mouths open, and said, "OK -- One Shot - One Kill! Now top that!" We really had a good time! I can't begin to describe all the calibers that we had. My son is quite the gunsmith and has built several AR type guns - all with different calibers from .223 to 12 gauge/with drum mag. Needless to say - We made a lot of noise today and reminded me of how little shooting I have done in the last 1/4 century.

I hope everyone has has a memorial Holiday weekend

Sherrel: That's darn good shooting, 'Dead Eye'!

Oh I did comment on the fact Phoenix didn't have a train connection which also seemed odd to meetoo !

Good Morning Folks. 45° and clear to start today. Nothing significant happening around here, just another beautiful day. Cut some more firewood yesterday after maybe three weeks of inactivity. I tend to get lazy when I am not actually using it. This is the "freebie" wood that comes from where I used to work instead of trees. Well it once was trees! It's untreated oak 3" x 4" x 42" that I have to cut in half on the radial-arm saw in order to fit through the door of the wood-burning heater. On a normal heating day in January, it takes 14 pieces (seven whole) to heat the house for 24 hours. Since I haven't had a fire since Tuesday, I removed the ashes from inside the stove, and stored them for later use in the garden. Still eating turkey with all of the fixings around here, I did cut up and froze parts of it yesterday for future meals. I'm ready for a good steak right now and I have several in the freezer along with a prime rib roast. Ah, but it's too late for that tonight since it takes a while to thaw, so I guess that steak it is!
Actually spent some quality time in the train shed yesterday. Made some significant progress with that small town business district that I am working on but forgot to take any pictures. A small part of it is finally ready to display. Won't spend much time there today as we are going to lunch with some friends after church, the usual German food along with some "bier".

Joe - Very nice looking transfer caboose. You should get a lot of use from it.
Sherrel -
.75" ain't no rain around here, that's just a minor shower especially since that was a 24 hour total if I recall. Now maybe in Southern CA, that's considered a rain! Heck, the cats never even retreated to under the house!
Have a safe trip home.

David -
Actually no. It is a Rudy's Country Store and BBQ, a locally famous chain with 41 locations across the Southwest, mostly Texas. They're different in that they smoke their meats with oak instead of the traditional mesquite wood. I have a "Roadkill Restaurant" elsewhere!

Everyone have a great Sunday.

Willie
We will experience a delay in posting until this website comes back on-line!!! This is three days in a row now.

Say Willie: At least you have a road kill restrauant!

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then I spent about 75 minutes staining the strip wood for the JV Models water tank. I used Hunterline Creosote for the base and Medium Brown for the tank. Taking Mom out to her favorite Mexican eatery tonight then back here for birthday cake.

Joe- Great looking caboose. The heating element appears intact (no damage). Apparently there was a puddle of grease in the center of the oven that caught fire. The broiler still works properly. I'm going to get the new heating element tomorrow and return the dryer heating element for a refund. They are about the same price.

Say Curt: Nice gesture to take your Mom out to her favorite Mexiacan restraurant.

Hope all have a good night and Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning fellers. Well I see my pic I took yesterday didn't upload at all. Anyways I hope everyone is doing well. It's another Monday. It'll be the last week I'll be doing the 5:30 to 4 shift for Coke. Some tough hours here when I'm used to starting at 12. Hopefully my picture will upload this time. I have finished up the grey for the road. So that bare white is now gone. Now to figure out how to paint the center lines....
57b375932680ef2aa72a5c2b1dfd1cd7.jpg

Someone needs to invent an airbrush cart on wheels, so you can paint them just like the real ones do.

Good morning fellers. Well I see my pic I took yesterday didn't upload at all. Anyways I hope everyone is doing well. It's another Monday. It'll be the last week I'll be doing the 5:30 to 4 shift for Coke. Some tough hours here when I'm used to starting at 12. Hopefully my picture will upload this time. I have finished up the grey for the road. So that bare white is now gone. Now to figure out how to paint the center lines....
57b375932680ef2aa72a5c2b1dfd1cd7.jpg

Yellow pinstripe tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back