Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Friday Morning All. 47° and clear to start today off. Haven't seen anyone else in the Coffee Shop this morning yet, I guess you all are out shopping! I still feel the full effects from overeating yesterday. I normally don't eat desserts, but one of my daughters made an absolutely delicious cherry-crumb pie that I had to have two pieces of. Today I need to exercise a bit extra. Maybe even walk to the mailbox and back, 2.25 miles. Both of the granddogs were over for the family visit, even though they live about three miles apart in a Dallas suburb, they have never met. Boy were they excited running around in the country with no fences to impede their dashes. They ran and played (i.e. chased cats) for hours. Unfortunately for them, cats can climb trees.
Out in the train shed, everything ran well but it was not a long excursion out there, Dads were interested in some of the newly completed scenes that they hadn't seen before, moms stayed in the house and drank wine.

Justin - What is that kit that you posted a picture of?
David - Bummer regarding the X-ray clinic, but at least you enjoyed the trip.
Terry - Interesting about the Dash8-40B. I purchased a new one when they came out many years ago and it had handrails and grabirons included.

OK, it has happened again, this website has gone offline once again around the same time in the morning as it usually does randomly.

Ken in MD - Nice job on the switcher.
Garry - Well, I only fit one qualification, "the directions to your house include "turn off the paved road." ", does that mean that I am a redneck?

Everybody have a great day.

Willie
It's a heljan kit. Comes as a set of two structures. Look at my previous post. I posted a pic and the two structures in that kit are side by side on the right hand side.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

It's a heljan kit. Comes as a set of two structures. Look at my previous post. I posted a pic and the two structures in that kit are side by side on the right hand side.

Thanks for the info Justin. I didn't see your post until after I posted this morning.
Willie

No problem. I've gotten quite smitten with the heljan kits. That whole row is heljan structures. Except for the grey structure. It's ahm. eBay has been getting some good business from me lately.

Good morning. It's clear and 40 here.
When I went to see the new doctor, he told me I need to average 10,000 steps per day, and it needs to be verifiable, or I will be considered non compliant (whatever that is). So, I am once again spending money I don't have, so I can continue getting medical care. I took advantage of a black friday sale, and purchased an apple watch, so I can download my fitness data, and provide it to the doctor's office to include in my health records. Waste of money, but what else can I do? At least it was on sale for nearly half off... I really can't afford to save any more money.

On to trains...
I picked up a pair of engines, that should be at the house by wednesday. At that point, there will be yet another culling, where I offload older, obsolete, or stuff that doesn't fit in with what I have, or expect to have, going forward.

We attended Thanksgiving dinner with some friends, the food and company were great, and I only got slightly annoyed at our gps. Conversation was interesting, we covered differences in the observation of the holiday between our respective religions, or lack thereof, and found thre are nore similarities than differences. We also found that even our political disparities were more similar than different, and no matter what side of the room we were in, the sides need to move more toward center, rather than further away from center, if anything meaningful will get accomplished in this country.

We're off to the campground office to pay our bill, then to a store to compete with the screaming hoardes to buy a broom for our trailer. The last place we stayed, the broom got ruined, and I tossed it in the nearest dumpster, and I didn't get a replacement.

Everybody have a good day, and a great weekend.

Good Morning!
I guess that everyone (almost) is out shopping up a storm.
Nice dinner yesterday and lt's lots of left-overs for today. Was pretty warm here yesterday and more of the same today at about 85.
Strange - it is hotter back home in the 90's. That is not the normal for sure.

Nothing much new - same ole stuff - kids, dogs, family, dramatics!
Here is a photo of the view from the son's back porch.

phx1 (Large).jpg

PS ... Guess I forgot to mention it before .. son recovered his knight armor within 48 hours. Fortunately, some dummy (who lived locally) put it on the web for sale - and friends tracked it down very fast. Dummy was asking $300 for 20k worth of stuff!
Steve was very lucky - I figured it was long gone.

David Hope you are feeling better!

Nice loco, Karl!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. I like some others probably ate a bit too much yesterday, but it hurts so good. We had abnormally warm temperatures yesterday hitting 68 degrees. We're starting the day off it 41 this morning. We had some high winds move in last night causing us to lose power a bit after 8 PM. The generator kicked in, but we called it a night.

Ken in MD - Those Milwaukee switcher repaints are sure a lot cleaner than anything the Milwaukee Road had. Looking good.

Garry - Like the redneck Thanksgiving info.

Justin = The building look good. Making some progerss.

Sherrel
- Nice photo from the back porch.

I stuck top my word about Black Friday shopping.The closest I got to town this morning was to let the dogs out the front door. We do have to go to town this evening for our Friday night bowling league. Hoping that those fools doing their shopping will have worn themselves out by then. Tomorrow, we are headed to Laurel, MT with two other couples from the Friday night league for a bowling tournament. I was a bit worried about making the trip because of the possibility of icy roads but th ewarm weather took care of that.

Train wise I did get some work done. The baggage/RPO for my North Coast Limited came with truck mounted couplers. That doesn't fly on my layout so they were changed out to body mounter couplers. I still have to come up with a NCL decal for the back of the observation car, so for the time being I put an NP monad on the back. Greg wanted some videos of it running so I took a few short ones. Here's one of them.

[video=youtube;Rl-72FJ_DW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl-72FJ_DW8[/video]

It has now been moved to the hidden staging tracks where it is really hogging up a lot of space. That is one long train for my small layout and some additional cars should still be added.

Later

Afternoon All,

Had a very nice Thanksgiving with family and friends. This morning my wife started the auto clean in the oven before going to her part time job. About 90 minutes later light smoke was coming out of the kitchen. There was a grease fire in the oven. I powered it down but the door was locked until the oven cooled down. The flames went out in about 90 seconds. After I was able to open the door there didn't look like any damage but a large mess to clean up.

In a couple of hours a friend is stopping by to visit.

Chet- Thanks for the compliment. Very nice videos. How about a Tomar lighted drumhead for the end of your NP passenger train?

Ken- Great job on the SW1.

Garry- Good ones.

Justin- Looks really good.

I hope everyone has a good night.

For black friday, other than that small bit of internet shopping, we went to the local Dollar General and bought a new broom to sweep the trailer. We were the only customers in the store.

...And now for the faux-pas of the month:
My wife invited a good frend of ours to spend the weekend at our house this weekend--completely forgetting we are several hundred miles away.
Not sure if I should admit where we are, the friend may hunt us down like the dogs we are...

Good afternoon, y'all. 47° and pleasant. It was a frosty 21° overnight, so this was a big improvement. Thanksgiving was very nice. Everything went well, including having the MIL for dinner. :rolleyes:

KenMD: Nice job on the SW1.

Chet: Nice video. The NCL is straining the limits of your staging, but to me it's worth it. Nice looking train.

Curt: Sounds like you had an exciting morning. Good thing you were there to intervene.

I stepped out of the house to retrieve the garbage can from the curb. That's as far as I plan on venturing today I completed an order of paint and detail parts from Walthers, and received a Bluford Shops NYC Short Roof Transfer Cabin, similar to the one Chet is working on, but fully RTR, from the NYC Historical Society. Finally, my Atlas - Kato NYC RS1 has a cabin to tow around. There is also a package coming from Klein's, somewhere in the Postal Service web, with delivery maybe Monday? Know what the wife wants for Christmas, so hopefully, I will either have that in hand or ordered by the end of the weekend. I also know what I'm getting her for our Anniversary. Just need to "borrow" her ring, somehow, without her noticing I borrowed it. :confused:

Good afternoon. Taking a bit of a break from track cleaning. My DC locomotives run just fine, but to find any dirty track, I just put a DCC locomotive on and let it go. It will very quickly find any dirty spots. Sent a couple of trains around with dust monkeys and used a bit of alcohol on the trouble spots and now everything is squeaky clean.

Sherrel - Thanks for the thumbs up. It does just keep going.

Curt - AN oven fire is not good, but easy to put out and as you mentioned, quite the mess. I don't believe that the NP ever ran drum heads on the NCL. They just had the NP monad with North Coast Limited on the observation car, But I could be wrong. I can well remember seeing any on the NCL. I can remember when I was a kid coming from the South Shore Line to board the NCL seeing a number of trains with the lighted drum heads. Thought they were neat and wondered why the NP didn't have them.

Joe - You are so right about the NCL straining the staging tracks limits. That train has to be over 14 feet long and I should still at least one more dome car and a coach and sleepers. You'll have top post a photo of the new caboose. Now that I am done with the passenger train, I should get back to mine,.

Here is another video of its last trip going into the hidden staging where it now will sit.

[video=youtube;0x5_04fZKw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x5_04fZKw0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I have a couple more I took before parking it. I'll post them later.

Karl - Willie - Chet - Curt - Joe (hope I didn't miss anybody?): Thanks, guys, for the kind comments about the SW1!

Slept in kinda late this morning so not much mrr activity - other than ordering a sale-priced Bachmann Sound Value GP7 from MBKlein [along with some Tichy grab irons to install on it]. Once I get done with it, hopefully nobody will be able to tell its a Bachmann unit from 3ft away... Spent an hour hauling in more firewood, then drove over to Daughter #1's house to run on the treadmill, then did some food shopping after that. But I always avoid the department stores and other retail outlets like the plague on black Friday.

Sherrell - your son has quite the view from his backyard! Is that someplace in Arizona?

Chet - I'll have to make that switcher a helluva lot filthier at some point, since I intend to use it as a coal hopper shuffler. I look forward to watching your series of NP history videos after supper.

Curt - I, too, have experienced a few oven fires in my time - NOT fun! Glad there was no permanent damage.

Everybody have a great Thxgiving weekend, whats left left of it!

Good evening Gandy Dancers & Spike Drivers, I guess you've been working off all the stuffing you et!

Hi Flo, Francine, You ladies sure out did yourselves by putting on one heck of a Thanksgiving Day Feed here at Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner! You both deserve a pat on the back.

50°F Wells rd Station Report
7:28 PM PST on November 24, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 51°F
50°F - Feels like 50°F and Fair outside;
Winds are from the NE at '0.0'mph? Now that a real mystery, if there is no wind blowing how is the direction determined? Oh, by the way the smoke is shifted!? I'm, not sure I understand?? I quess I'm slow?! LoL
Humidity is at 87%;
Tomorrow is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as today.

While the weather isn't really all that cool here I kept a somewhat low fire going for about the last five day and just spent about 30 minutes hauling in about 8 fairly decent size hunks of Oak that I didn't get stacked. It's just as simple to haul it in to burn as long as it stays fairly dry.

Well similar to Curt below I had some excitement I had mention till now about 5 nights ago when I started a fire in my fairly large heat-a-lator lined fire place and fairly tall brick chimney lined with a fire clay flu that is about 8" x 16" in size.
I built my normal fire base of couple of dozen crumpled news papers on which I lay smaller sticks the with of the grate, which is covered with ash, and then place more small but a bit larger front to back forming an open type gridwork and keep build this up for several levels till I get some fairly decent size branches on top of this grid work to place a couple of decent size pieces of wood on to get them going. Building the way I do does take a bit of time but it allows a lot of air to mix with the flames from the news paper to heat up the chimney in getting the fire going.
When I was on the roof during the day a couple of weeks back I took a look down the chimney and it didn't seem like it was very dirty so I didn't think it was necessary to run chimney brush up and down in it. But it was a good thing I waited till I had a couple of rains and the night had a fair amount of moisture to it.

So I'm trying to get a large strike anywhere match to light, almost like something be cautious, so I could get the balled up news paper base going which I finally did. Oh, Lord, did it take off and it even had a bit of a sucking sound to it and I said to myself that sounds like a chimney fire, where the accumlated soot will ignite and cause a roaring blaze! So I go out the front door and out onto the lawn a ways and look up there and fortunately I have large a 3/8" wire mesh spark arrester that sticks up about 10 above and over the top of the chimney opening. It looked like a Roman Candle with Red hot soot getting blown through the mesh and some of it landing on the fairly moist shakes as well as shooting up in the air. I should have had the garden hose turned on but fortunately never saw anything that looked like anything attempted to ignite a shake but checked everything front and back as the chimney is at about the peak of the roof so I had two side to check on and did that for the next twenty minutes to ensure everything was Ok and very fortunately it was, thank God!

Afternoon All,

Had a very nice Thanksgiving with family and friends. This morning my wife started the auto clean in the oven before going to her part time job. About 90 minutes later light smoke was coming out of the kitchen. There was a grease fire in the oven. I powered it down but the door was locked until the oven cooled down. The flames went out in about 90 seconds. After I was able to open the door there didn't look like any damage but a large mess to clean up.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt: I imagine that was a rather very intense few minutes till you realized everything was Ok! Glad it was all contained Ok, You had an inside fire and I had an outside fire, so to speak. Glad we are both ok.

Good Morning!
I guess that everyone (almost) is out shopping up a storm.
Nice dinner yesterday and lt's lots of left-overs for today. Was pretty warm here yesterday and more of the same today at about 85.
Strange - it is hotter back home in the 90's. That is not the normal for sure.

Nothing much new - same ole stuff - kids, dogs, family, dramatics!
Here is a photo of the view from the son's back porch.

View attachment 63945

PS ... Guess I forgot to mention it before .. son recovered his knight armor within 48 hours. Fortunately, some dummy (who lived locally) put it on the web for sale - and friends tracked it down very fast. Dummy was asking $300 for 20k worth of stuff!
Steve was very lucky - I figured it was long gone.

David Hope you are feeling better!

Say Sherrel: Thanks for your concern, it takes a little while to get enough of the Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MsM into a persons system to lubricate and stop the majority of pain but even the little bit that it seems to be doing to free up my knee joints a bit is a welcome relief. It still takes me a while to get moving once I get up from a chair but it's better than it was and will continue to improve. I'm able to sleep a bit better too.

Thanks for posting about Steve's, Knight Armor, I sure glad for him the guy was a dummy like that rather than sell it direct to someone else! That's a chunk of change to replace alright. I assume the police apprehended the guy/s too?

Good morning. It's clear and 40 here.
So, I am once again spending money I don't have, so I can continue getting medical care.
*I really can't afford to save any more money.*

Everybody have a good day, and a great weekend.

Say Terry: While that statement sounds very illogical it seems I find myself in about the same situation recently.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Been busy at the workbench these last coupla days; I discovered on Tuesday morning that MBK had Walthers SW1's on sale and I've been wanting one ever since I learned that my original SW1 [from 1993] would need to have its frame milled in order to be DCC-compatible - forget that! The revised model just needs the front half of the body popped-open, pull off the 8-pin jumper, plug on a TCS DP2X decoder and you're good to go.

Here's a before-and-after pair of photos:

New_SW1_in_MILW.jpg
New_SW1_repainted.jpg

The Milwaukee colors made it very easy to repaint in my freelanced steel mill scheme.

Ken in Md. That's a nice looking switcher for your layout. It reminds me of the one I got to run many years back at the SP yard in Fresno, but I'm not exactly sure of the Loco type?

REDNECK THANKSGIVING

You Might Be a Redneck This Thanksgiving If...

... you've ever had Thanksgiving dinner on a ping-pong table.
... Thanksgiving dinner is squirrel and dumplings.
... you've ever reused a paper plate.
... if you have a complete set of salad bowls and they all say Cool Whip on the side.
... if you've ever used your ironing board as a buffet table.
... your turkey platter is an old hubcap.
... your best dishes have Dixie printed on them.
... your stuffing's secret ingredient comes from the bait shop.
... your only condiment on the dining room table is ketchup.
... side dishes include beef jerky and Moon Pies.
... you have to go outside to get something out of the 'fridge.
... the directions to your house include "turn off the paved road."
... you consider pork and beans to be a gourmet food.
... you have an Elvis Jell-o mold.
... your secret family recipe is illegal.
... you serve Vienna sausage as an appetizer.

Ah Garry: Dang boy, y'all been pekin in ma winders evidentury as ya sur got me pegged alright, even right down to the salid/cereal bowls as well as the Vinney Wennies ! Dang Boy !!

Continued >

> Resumed

Good Friday Morning All. 47° and clear to start today off. Haven't seen anyone else in the Coffee Shop this morning yet, I guess you all are out shopping! I still feel the full effects from overeating yesterday. I normally don't eat desserts, but one of my daughters made an absolutely delicious cherry-crumb pie that I had to have two pieces of. Today I need to exercise a bit extra. Maybe even walk to the mailbox and back, 2.25 miles. Both of the granddogs were over for the family visit, even though they live about three miles apart in a Dallas suburb, they have never met. Boy were they excited running around in the country with no fences to impede their dashes. They ran and played (i.e. chased cats) for hours. Unfortunately for them, cats can climb trees.
Out in the train shed, everything ran well but it was not a long excursion out there, Dads were interested in some of the newly completed scenes that they hadn't seen before, moms stayed in the house and drank wine.

David - Bummer regarding the X-ray clinic, but at least you enjoyed the trip.

OK, it has happened again, this website has gone offline once again around the same time in the morning as it usually does randomly.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Say Willie: Thanks, yes I thought the girl I talked with would have enough sense to call and let me know but she didn't. She was fairly ashamed when she saw me there though. Oh well I did stop and take a picture of hill side covered in Lodge Pole Pines and Black Oak trees on the way back, though. Coincidently, the spot I pulled of at used to be inhabitated by an old hermit/movie actor by the name of Jimmy Thaten but went by Ed Bradberry as best I recall, who played an old miner leading a mule with Gabby Hays in the early westerns back in the 1950' and prior. Dad took a very good picture of him that he gladly posed for.

Karl - Willie - Chet - Curt - Joe (hope I didn't miss anybody?): Thanks, guys, for the kind comments about the SW1!

Slept in kinda late this morning so not much mrr activity - other than ordering a sale-priced Bachmann Sound Value GP7 from MBKlein [along with some Tichy grab irons to install on it]. Once I get done with it, hopefully nobody will be able to tell its a Bachmann unit from 3ft away... Spent an hour hauling in more firewood, then drove over to Daughter #1's house to run on the treadmill, then did some food shopping after that. But I always avoid the department stores and other retail outlets like the plague on black Friday.

Everybody have a great Thxgiving weekend, whats left left of it!

Say Ken in Md Running on a tread mill and bringing in fire wood quite a workout! You got me beat

Good morning fellers. I'll be working two projects this weekend. Today I'm focusing on my layout. Tomorrow I'll be working my SD40 yet again. However I'm just installing directional lighting and number boards. I'll catch up to y'all later.

Good Morning All. 48° and clear with very light northerly winds, meaning a little cooler day today than yesterday - 78°. Spent most of yesterday morning catching up on housework, emptying the dishwasher, doing laundry, putting up the "fine" china and silverware, and generally staying out of the wife's way as she cleaned up after the grandkids and granddogs. I did have to listen to her curse at "Alexa" for not playing the radio station that she asked for several times. I didn't mention it earlier, but she's been listening to non-stop Christmas music played by a Dallas radio station since Monday. They started early I guess, I don't usually hear this station until a few days after Thanksgiving. Gets boring quickly to me.
Spent time out in the train shed, re-staging trains after the holiday runs, clearing out passing sidings so I can resume switching operations. Did a lot more work on detailing the DPM "Carol's Corner Cafe" that was in one of the pictures that I posted last week or so. It is slowly becoming a BBQ restaurant with an outdoor seating area. Built the "picnic tables" yesterday and they are still drying in the paint booth right now. Did some other work in the same town, but i am not close to finishing yet. Since the weather here is so beautiful right now and there are other things on the agenda, I am not spending as much time in the train shed as I would like. And of course it hasn't rained since August 24, I am forced to be indoors in the rain and what better place to be.

Chet - I didn't know if any of our forum members had seen Lance Russworm's layout scenes before. I get some real inspirations from viewing them and only hope to be able to come close on my layout. That's another reason that the current area that I am detailing is taking so long to complete (to me). Right now I am about a third of the way through this approximate six sq. ft. area with it's 14 structures including three Merchant's Row kits.
Your right about working in those tight spaces that didn't seem so tight ten or twenty years ago. Much harder to extricate oneself as well. Been enjoying all of your recent videos here and on the NP history thread also. By the way, I got closer to a store than you as I walked down the road 1.1 miles to my mailbox, but I was still 24 miles from the nearest "non-Dollar General" store.
Regarding your NCL train, that could be an excuse to enlarge your hidden staging area, unless of course you cannot find it!
Terry - Wow! 10,000 steps a day. For me being a short person, that's nearly five miles, which I might actually come close to. I generally walk 1.5 miles daily as a normal exercise and it's 200' each way to the train shed from the house!
Sherrel - Glad to know that your son recovered his armor. I do hope that the police were with him when it was returned. Continue to enjoy your stay in AZ.
Curt - Fortunate result from the oven fire. Glad that everyone is safe.
Eric - Watch out with your ex sister in law, lest she be accompanying you back to GA! lol:rolleyes:

OK, again today this website is off-line at the same time as yesterday. It is annoying. Anyone know why? Terry?

Joe -
including having the MIL for dinner.
Dang, we usually have turkey!
David - Watch out for those chimney fires. I keep my spark arrester clean and in good shape as it is one of the more important components of the system. My heater is a controlled draft one and the only chimney fire I ever had was when my wife left the door open once when she went to change a diaper. Stove surface was 850°. I usually keep it in the 275°-400° range for everyday heating. Your method of building a fire is similar to mine except that I use "starter boxes". I save my soft drink 12-pack boxes and fill them with "kindling" and a paper fuse (made from those wine bottle bags) to start the fire. I keep a handful on the covered porch at all times. An observation about wood, it only gets wet on the outside and if you use a dry starter box, the wetness evaporates in a few minutes.

Gotta go now, the Christmas music in the background is becoming rather grating to my ears.

Willie

Morning Folks: It's 60 degrees with a few very high wisps of clouds. High of 84 expected today.
Spent most of yesterday running errands with my son and eating leftovers, of which we probably will have again today. Fine with me - all the food was excellent.

What a shame that an area and city as large as Phoenix does not have rail service of at least one train a day. Tucson and/or Flagstaff is as close as one can get before switching to a bus/car. That's just not right!

KEN D&J That's quite a train. No short local pickup from you.

TERRY You should have left a "Back in One Hour" sign on the door - LOL That happened to me at least one time - maybe more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back