Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Here is a shot of the outside entrance to one of Don's buildings.

car05.jpg

I have never seen a "double glass" before!
car02.jpg

And just in case you want to make a wish -------
car06.jpg

300K Man ie Sherrel what works for me is to have my phone on it's side when I take a picture to get correct orientation. Not sure why that matters but for some reason it does with my phone.

Sherrel.... $300,000 ? ? .... Don't sell yourself short..... You are priceless.

Eric.... You also are priceless.

Louis and Joe ... You said Detroit won. If I still lived in Michigan, I would like that. I might even razz you a bit. But, I don't live there anymore. I hope your team does well so I can watch you cheering. I grew up near Chicago, and still favor both the Cubs and the White Sox, but I spend little time paying attention to professional sports and the overpaid athletes.

Solar eclipse. ... We will have a very full house from about August 16 through August 21. The timing is so family from out of town will be here when the solar eclipse happens. .... It is amazing to me astronomers can predict years in advance the solar eclipse, and they know exactly where it will be taking place as well as the duration. .. Anyhow, western Kentucky is prepared for it, and expects about 500,000 visitors for it. ..... In this region, the eclipse will be approximately over Interstate 24 between Paducah and Nashville. I hope it does not cause any accidents.

Garry, nothing wrong with a good ribbing when your team beats mine, I won't mind, even though you no longer live there. Now you have several "home teams"!

The Tigers have always been a special team to me. The man who raised me was born in 1898 and he shared many a story with me about sports in the early 20th century right up until he passed away in 1972. The Tigers have a rich history and old Tiger Stadium was one of my favorite stadiums. When you hit a home run in that huge old park, you really sent the ball a long way! I loved it because the Orioles in the 60s and 70s always had great pitching and there were no "cheap" homeruns in Tiger Stadium!

I learned a lot from the stories about; Sam Crawford, Ty Cobb, Harry Heilmann, Mickey Cochrane, Charlie Gehringer, Hall Newhouser, Hank Greenberg, George Kell, and of course Baltimore native Al Kaline! That's just the Hall of Fame players,

I can't forget the players I saw first hand; Mickey Lolich, Denny McClain, Norm Cash, Willie Horton and many others from the past and current players as well. I can never forget the 1984 Tigers. I think they started 34-4 or something like that.

I never like to see my birds lose, but it hurts a little bit less when they lose to teams like the Tigers.

I'm looking forward to the eclipse myself. It is amazing to predict such things. Maybe more amazing is how some ancient cultures were also able to predict such events.

I want to find out about a pin hole viewer to watch the eclipse with my boys. Hopefully we will have clear skies that day.

I give up. Gausman pitches a brilliant 7 inning three hitter, then Givens comes in to pitch the 8th, gives up two two strike infield hits, a walk and a home run. O's lose 5-2.
Bottom line, the team is bad, the owner is too cheap to field a winning team, and ...frustration grows.

Boris, don't take it so hard, it's only one game. Talking to Garry about cheap homeruns reminds me of why the birds can't sign free agent pitchers. No pitcher in his right mind wants to pitch in Oriole Park at Camden Yards. We have a stocked lineup, but we have to grow our own pitchers. Givens has pitched well, but when relievers get up to and over 20 pitches in an inning all bets are off. Including last nights game Givens has a 7-1 win-lose record and a 2.48 era, not to shabby.

Wait and see if we sign all these future high priced young guys we have. How much will Manny get? 40 million a year maybe? We might be glad he has had an off year offensively, we could get a bargain, 20 million?

Louis - You sure brought back some memories of the Dolphins. We were season ticket holders and were there for the perfect season. We even went to the Super Bowl that year. The season tickets we had were on the 45 yard line under cover. They cost $164 a year. Don't know if that would be enough for a single game today.

Chet, you lucky dog! Season tickets to the greatest season ever! I never liked the dolphins, but I loved how they played the game. Their power running fullback Csonka, Morris with speed to the outside and Kick who could do everything, including block and catch passes. Not to mention a super star offensive line! Then with Warfield on the outside to stretch the defense, perfect text book offensive football. The "no name" defense was over rated because the offense controlled the ball so well, but they did their jobs. Too bad the world football league broke up that team, but it was amazing to watch while it lasted.

You could buy 2 tickets for that price, if you can get them at face value, good luck with that. This system of legalized scalping is driving prices through the roof! I bought my daughter and son-in-law 2 tickets to see the Steelers play the Ravens near the 50 yard line on a Nationally televised Sunday night game. They cost me $1300 for the pair, face value was $75.

I asked them what they wanted for their birthdays, they are only a few weeks apart in September. Ask a stupid question...

As long as dumb asses like me keep paying these crazy prices they will keep selling them!

BIRDS WIN 5-2 Tell'em Yogi!
yogi-berra-quotes-17.png

Started my endurance ride back home at 3:15am near San Diego. I was covering ground quite well, until night fell in TX. I couldn't see the gators (truck tires) in the road very well. My night vision is failing. Had some near misses which really put me on edge. I'm gonna have to scrub the endurance ride. Made it to Ft. Stockton, TX and got a room for the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started my endurance ride back home at 3:15am near San Diego. I was covering ground quite well, until night fell in TX. I couldn't see the gators (truck tires) in the road very well. My night vision is failing. Had some near misses which really put me on edge. I'm gonna have to scrub the endurance ride. Made it to Ft. Stockton, TX and got a room for the night.

I am very sorry to hear that, KEN, but it is better to be safe - than sorry.
As much ground as you have covered throughout the trip so far - I would say that you have put up a pretty good endurance battle already!

Ken - That's still quite a haul, 950+ miles through three time zones! Of course you're pretty much in the middle of nowhere in Ft. Stockton. How far were you actually hoping to go by last night? As Sherrel posted, "better safe than sorry"; sounds like you made the right decision.

Willie

Good Morning All. A muggy 80° and mostly cloudy right now. Might hit 100° today after getting to 97° yesterday, thunderstorms forecast for this evening and all the way through Thursday...We'll see! C'mon down rain, make my hay grow! Had some old friends visiting for a good while yesterday, pool activities and homemade lasagna (made with my tomatoes, onions, garlic and other homegrown condiments) were on the bill. Light hangover this morning.
Minimal activity in the train shed though, aside from showing off, I did nothing...I miss it!

Eric - Sounds like a well planned trip Monday. Hope that you receive the positive results from the scan.
Sherrel - Don't feel alone, I don't even have a garage, if I did I probably couldn't get a car into it anyway. Regarding the pool visitor, lucky but careful I am. I look forward to a repeat. As I had previously posted, someone at your insurance provider/Medicare is going to gasp! But as Beady posted, "Insurance is only expensive until you need it". Don's place looks to be really interesting.
Karl - It does sound like a productive day. Hope that you were able to enjoy many of the little brown bottles.
Ken (D&J) - Back to you, I am still marveling on how far that you were able to go. Ft. Stockton is still over 300 miles from the next major city of San Antonio. Hell, you were already in Texas for 250 miles! You still have over 600 miles to go until you hit Louisiana, if you're staying in IH-10. We have a big state down here.
Louis - How's the 72-hour cease fire going? I was absolutely amazed to read about it. And I do know that it is confined to just a small part of the city, most of the rest of Baltimore seems to be rather peaceful.

I no longer watch professional sports anymore, except occasional Dallas Cowboy games with my wife. I never got into baseball. What kind of game is it when you stand there with a big stick and someone throws a hardball at you, hoping to hit you. If you successfully hit that ball with the big stick, then a bunch of guys chase you around throwing that same hardball at you some more.

Time to go. I can get a little yardwork in before showering and going to Mass. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Morning Everyone --

Willie, You must have breathed a little too much of that Lasagna smoke and gave yourself a high? Pretty rare form today!
I like your thoughts on baseball .. when my Uncle married an English girl during WW2, after she had watched a football game for a few minutes, she remarked,"Why don't they just give the other side a ball too? Then they wouldn;t need to fight over it!"

Baltimore? What's going on there? Haven't heard?

88 yesterday - supposed to be 88 today.

I am happy to report that I seem to be getting a little better, slowly! After my trek to Corona the other day, I was very tired by the time I returned - which resulted in being so tired that I did not feel like doing anything all day yesterday. Finally took the dogs out for a walk in the afternoon, but that only lasted maybe 1/2 mile. I sure will be happy to reach the stage where I have more stamina. At the moment just very little physical work really wears me down in a hurry.

Let's see if I can post another pic that doesn't fall over?
OK - Here's a lawn tractor for Karl, Willie, and David!

car16.jpg

Good morning.
Yesterday was--fun...
New phone to replace the one I dropped in some really dirty water, and took the truck in to get the exhaust manifold replaced. The right hand one. The one that takes 7.5 hours to replace (if everything isn't liberally coated with rust). Not the left one that takes an hour and a half to replace. $1,000.00 later, it's been replaced, the check engine light is off, and it passed our local emissions inspection. BTW, that figure doesn't count the phone replacement... Anybody wanna buy some used trains?...

Good morning.
Yesterday was--fun...
New phone to replace the one I dropped in some really dirty water, and took the truck in to get the exhaust manifold replaced. The right hand one. The one that takes 7.5 hours to replace (if everything isn't liberally coated with rust). Not the left one that takes an hour and a half to replace. $1,000.00 later, it's been replaced, the check engine light is off, and it passed our local emissions inspection. BTW, that figure doesn't count the phone replacement... Anybody wanna buy some used trains?...

I wondered where you were hiding yesterday? I see that the "little black cloud" is still following you around.

joe-btfsplk.jpg

Good morning.
Yesterday was--fun...
New phone to replace the one I dropped in some really dirty water,

Reminds me of a guy who was pumping sludge out of my septic tank while talking on his phone, held to his ear with his shoulder. I asked if he ever dropped it into a septic tank before and he admitted that he had done so three times. You don't reuse them after that. Not real sure why he didn't just spring for a blue-tooth?

Willie

Sherrel.... $300,000 ? ? .... Don't sell yourself short..... You are priceless.

Eric.... You also are priceless.

Well.... that's nice but are there any buyers out there.
;)
Prices are negotiable starting at 1 million. I'm sure the state of IL would want their cut first. I only saw that $1Mil. number once during chemo before Medicaid kicked so I have not what the full costs would include. I hadn't yet sarted in with radiation so I would at least double that number. Lord knows how much that radition machine cost or these various scanners (i.e. PET and CT) all costed.

Reminds me of a guy who was pumping sludge out of my septic tank while talking on his phone, held to his ear with his shoulder. I asked if he ever dropped it into a septic tank before and he admitted that he had done so three times. You don't reuse them after that. Not real sure why he didn't just spring for a blue-tooth?

Willie

Which reminds me of the time after getting done with some rather violent diarhea after a not so pleasing lunch and my car and house keys fell in BEFORE I flushed. What was I to do? I had to retreive but had nothing to so with except my hands.
Like I said, what was I to do? So, in I went after them. They spent the rest of the day soaking in Lysol. I washed my hand like a dozen times before touching anything.
E

Louis - How's the 72-hour cease fire going? I was absolutely amazed to read about it. And I do know that it is confined to just a small part of the city, most of the rest of Baltimore seems to be rather peaceful.

Cease fire... that won't work. Like everything that has been tried before it the cease fire is doomed to fail. We have had "stop and frisk", we have had "increased tolerance", special police task forces and dozens of other programs and policies since the war on drugs began. Nothing works because the money to be made is too great. The biggest problem a successful drug dealer has is what to do with all the cash.

They imposed a rule that any cash purchase of over $10000 has to be reported to the FBI. Good idea, but now they pay $9,999 for used Cadillac SUV's then pay installments weekly for "upgrades". The entire deal is paid for upfront, but car dealers don't report it that way. I know of several used car dealers that are used for money laundering, the police know as well.

You see stores and shops with very few or no customers at all. A good place to launder money. They are smart enough to put these shops and stores in out lying neighborhoods, not in the "ghetto".

How many truck loads full of cash have been caught at the border? How many container loads of cash are shipped everyday? The money is astronomical, you would not believe. I would not believe it if I had not seen it for myself with my own eyes.

I grew up with these guys, I was tempted myself. I even feel into the weed trade. Until I found out how blood thirsty the people you have to deal with are. They are not happy go lucky hippies, trust me. I've seen bales of weed covered in blood. They could see I was wondering what happened by the look on my face. I was told "you don't want to know". I knew it was time to stick to honest work. Only reason I got out clean was because I always kept my eyes and ears out of their business. I would often say "I don't want to know". Curiosity can be deadly. There is no such thing as harmless weed.

There was a time when you owed the dealer and were late to pay; they cut you off, now they cut your throat.

The guys I grew up with are dead or MIA. I don't know of a single one still living. Many of the overdose deaths are planed killings. Add a little too much of this new synthetic stuff and they die every time. Many last words were "I promise I will pay after this last one" Only to be found dead of an overdose. Only because some dealers don't have the stomach to shoot people. Most junkies know too much to be cut off and left alive. Once their habit gets out of control they are a threat. They might go to rehab and decide to turn over information.

I've seen police who are on the pay roll and how can you blame them? They start at $24000 a year plus over time. The dealers pay thousand a week for information and even more for protection.

The Maryland legislature and congress sit in beautiful halls and pass laws that will never work. These young guys don't care what the penalties are, they think they will never be caught, at least not alive. "just say no" my friends heard that and laughed, they said "just say yo, pass it here"

Good public transportation would help, a little. Some are just trying to feed their families. Sons and daughters supporting addicted parents and or feeding their younger siblings by selling drugs or their ass. Many would love to have full time jobs instead, but there is no work they can get in their neighborhoods and no transportation that covers the night shift that they have to start with.

Others don't want work, they want to be gangsters and get rich. They are too young to be wise and too old to be reformed. They end up using or being killed trying to protect their corner "drug store".

Most of the murders are battles for turf or debt collection. Dealers have so much cash they don't care if they get the money. It's more valuable to send a message.

God help an innocent citizen that tries to testify against them. The Police can't protect themselves, they are out gunned. I can't tell you how many AK-47s I have seen.

Organized crime has given up on the streets of Baltimore, they have to stick to white collar crime in Baltimore. The young gangsters can not and will not be controlled. Gangs like they have in other cities are insignificant. Baltimore's gangsters are independent. They kill the gang members who try to recruit them or compete with them. You won't see gangs showing their colors in Baltimore, it makes them a target. Even MS13 covers their tattoos in Baltimore.

The young gangsters don't call the city Baltimore, to them it is Bodymore, dead body that is.

The latest wave of increased murder was caused by all the narcotics stolen from drug stores during the riots. New "entrepreneurs" are getting into the trade with the inventory they stole. That has set off a new war on the streets. Less than a dozen pharmacies had enough dope stolen to keep the entire city high for over a year, why? Legalized drug dealing. Everybody wants a cut of this action.

When I was young heroin cost a minimum of $40 and was less than 50% pure, now the same size bag costs $10 and is over 90% pure. The war on drugs is a complete failure.

The only way to stop the killing is to take away the profit. The only way to do that is to have the government control the sale and distribution of drugs. I think it might be too late. The trade routes are established and they are almost the same routes they used to transport alcohol during prohibition. New designer drugs will take over if they legalize heroin and cocaine. I bet a dollar to a doughnut there are dozens of chemists all over the world cooking up something new in a bathtub right now.

Human nature is to get drunk or high and there is always somebody greedy enough to fill the demand.

What was the murder rate in Chicago during prohibition? Greed overrides compassion for others with many people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4akn6e59TQ
Somebody say fair warning? Lord strike that poor boy down.
The poor folks play for keeps, down here there the living dead.
This is home, this is mean street.

Back