Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Sherrel, we'll see if this works: Ken.jpg You were probably trying to save a photo from a mail preview. You have to open the email, then you can save the photo.

That's a bit easier on the neck. Sure am glad that you two were able to get together.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Howdy .

Terry .... Thanks for starting the new thread.

Willie .... I like that Magnuson building. I do have a Magnuson building on my layout. It is a the Highlands Station which is a station in suburban Chicago on the CB&Q (now BNSF). I grew up only a few miles west of it. Magnuson also had vintage vehicle kits, and I have a coulee of them.

Sherrel and Ken D&J .... Great photos of you and the motorcycle.

Interesting talk about early HO. If I can dig up a photo my layout of when I was about 12 years old I'll post it. It is very crude and should be good for laughs.

Below is my current scenery project. I am ready to move on to another area to do scenery. It will be the foreground to the right in these pictures, and I have several ideas for it. However, I will be busy with other stuff in the next few weeks. Maybe I'll work on it in September.

35524171974_cacab0f675_z.jpg

36316285556_bfd3644512_k.jpg

35524166044_c13ccb772e_k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Made it to my niece's house. Just 30 miles but traffic was horrible once I got off the interstate. I'll be taking her to see the Balboa model railroad museum tomorrow.

Made it to my niece's house. Just 30 miles but traffic was horrible once I got off the interstate. I'll be taking her to see the Balboa model railroad museum tomorrow.

Ken D&J ... Glad you had a safe trip so far. .... I was at the Balboa museum 3 years ago and previously about 20 years ago. Impressive.

Hello fellow model rr's.......starting at 64 this morning, headed for 95. Hooray, a cool down!:p A quick note on the Modoc July Complex fire, it has now grown to over 80,300 acres with 2,400 + personnel on site. The winds have shifted back from the previous day to a southeast to easterly direction clearing the Basin of smoke but the horizon that direction is one giant gray pall. Like Daves area, given that it's this big, it will take some wet weather to really help out or some major obstacle that the fire can't burn, letting the crews gain the upper hand to really get a handle on this thing. It is still at the 35 percent containment level. Such is the west in the summer time....
Garry......thank you for those thoughts.....and your pic with the trains in action is sharp! Trains headed for the tunnel, trains on the bridge, cars at the coo-op, cars at the stock yard......you are railroading!
Willie .....nice looking structure, I like brick structures like that. I don't know what post is was, ( back there some were), there was mention of pest deterent for the garden. What my ex war department did was to plant Marigolds around or next to what ever she wanted to try & save. At least for here, the deer don't like them.......
Chet......enjoy your rail pics, the last one with the ribbon rail looking like a roller coaster ride was a good one.......
(can't get it off of the bold text, trouble with the old lap top, 11 years old, so using one I bought for decoder pro programming (windows 10), plus if I hit something(?) just right, the curser stays put while the letters move out from the curser while typing
:mad:)

Sherrel...I had some flex track with fiber ties, that was way back in, uh, well, ohh, some time ago:p
(OK bold is off, I don't get it, didn't click on noth'n)
That's neat that you & Ken D&J could get together, I would love to go around the country & visit fellow model railroaders......

Have more I would like to post but frustration has exceeded acceptable levels.......Everybody have a safe Friday & a great weekend!:cool:

Willie .. I really like that structure! It has great character. I guess that I have never really thought about it before, but:
WHAT is the difference between styrene and resin? Anyone?

Technically "styrene" is "polystyrene", a cheap light plastic that most model railroad kits are made of, Walther's structures for example. Resin is a much heavier material that is not plastic. I don't know any better way to describe it. Magnuson used it to make structures and vehicles. It has an unusual odor when you first open any package that encloses it, not unpleasant, just chemically so to speak. Some manufacturers used resins to make freight cars years ago, and may still do, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge or experience with them.

Willie

Good Morning All. 70° and light clouds to the east. Skipped the weekly grocery/beer run this week after looking around and deciding that we are well stocked. Actually I stopped and bought beer on the way home from the doctor's office on Wednesday, so all is well.
Thanks for the comments on the Magnuson structure guys, Dave, Sherrel, Joe, Garry, Jerry and anyone else that I may have missed.
Spent that grocery trek time in the train shed and got a few things out of the way. Added metal wheels to six more freight cars and exchanged some original Athearn "sintered metal" wheels for NWSL metal ones on the last two diesels that I have that hadn't already been fixed. They were MIA which is why I didn't do it years ago. Changed out McHenry couplers from two freight cars while I had them on the workbench. Did some more track re-arrangement and tested it. Wired two more structures to the recently installed lighting buss. Actually made six more trees! I hate making trees!:( Ran trains. Very productive day in the train shed for a change.

Sherrel - You're looking mighty fit from having two major surgeries about a month ago. Keep up the optimism.
Joe - Best of luck with the Magnuson structures. I really like them. I did have some inward bowing warpage issues with some walls on this and other kits, which got resolved by soaking them in warm water and then sticking a piece of 1/4" inside the structure to alleviate it. Worked! Wow! Sorry to hear of the expensive cat issue. Fortunately for me, I live in an area where mine stay outdoors or inside the barn all of the time.
Garry - I have about two dozen of those Magnuson vehicles as well. My LHS owner had a bunch of them on his clearance shelf for $1 apiece. They were so old at the time that the clear packaging had turned brownish-yellow, and disintegrated when I tried to open them! Great job on the bridge scene. I really like the waterfalls.
Jerry - I have read and heard about using marigolds for pest control before, but I have no experience with them so I am hesitant to recommend it. I have more of a problem with rabbits than I do with deer. The four foot "hog-wire" fence seems to deter them even though I know that they can easily jump over it.

All of that talk regarding the "Dark Ages" really brought back some memories. Let me throw dyed sawdust into the mix!
Everybody have a great Friday.

Willie

Good morning

Jerry and Willie ..... Thanks for commenting on my photos. I appreciate it.

Chet .... Back at you with a rail photo. It is from the Rocky Mountaineer Facebook page.

35970907180_2cdac723f8_b.jpg

Good morning everyone. 64 here in SW MO, only hitting 79 later today. A sprinkle of rain yesterday evening so at least we didn't have to drag out the hose to water the garden. Nice day today, maybe some rain over the weekend.

Garry - really nice photos - inspiring. I only hope I can make something that nice. Congrats on the great work.

Things went faster than I expected last night on the benchwork build. I was just dry-fitting that latest piece between the existing part and the post and everything fit so snug I decided to tack it in place - but I ran out of screws. You'll notice no legs on that latest piece - they're cut and ready to install but I need to get some screws later today to mount them and finish this section. the top is just sitting on the frame, so I'll screw that down this weekend. Now just one section left, the one that will allow the track to make a big curve around that post. When we lay the track through this section, I want to include a passing siding where I can park a longer train to let another go by. I'm also going to install a couple of TOs for future expansion - (ssshhhh - don't tell MOH!)

8-3-17 Benchwork update 1.jpg8-3-17 Benchwork update 2.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Morning Gents,
Wanted: Kato BNSF SD45.
I have a friend looking to buy one.
Does anyone have one to sell?
He didn't mention what scale but I know it's either N or HO.
Let me know.
E

Good morning. Another cool morning at 51 degrees and still quite smokey, but at least I can make out the outline of the Bridger Mountains today.

Ken D&J - Nice to finally see your bike. Sweet. Mine is an old one that I very seldom ride any more, a 52 Indian Chief. Nice photo of you and Sherrel. Have a safe trip and if you can, post some photos of the museum.
Garry - Saw the photos you posted on my phone last night and couldn't wait to see larger ones on my 'puter. All I can say is WOW ! appl.gif Outstanding ! You nailed it. What a fantastic scene.

Willie - Nice work on the old Magnuson kit. My merchants row kit is the original resin kit from Walthers. Resin can be a bit harder to work with than styrene, but the kits really come out good. I do prefer styrene mainly because thay are a bit easier to work with. Came across some old wood kits that I had put away and forgot about. Now the only problem is that I have nowhere left on the layout to put them. You did an excellent job on it. Thanks for explaining the difference between resin and styrene.

Johnny - The benchwork is looking good. Now you need more track.

Eric - That locomotive is too modern for me to have.

Jerry - We have so many wild fires out here in the western states that I have lost count. We are down wind and getting smoke not only from fires in Montana, but also Idaho and Washington. There are times when the winds may change direction and push the smoke elsewhere for a while, but we'll probably be having to put up with it until some moisture, probably snow, finally puts the fires out. Fire fighters out here are really spread thing do to how many fires there are. They did finally move a DC-10 into the state to drop retardant to try to keep the fires from spreading and protect any structures. We have evacuation orders in a number of areas of the state right now. Mostly for campgrounds, not towns.

Sherrel - Hope you enjoyed your visit with Ken. I was hoping to meet him a while back on a trip to the east coast for a NASCAR race, but we couldn't get any tickets for decent seats. Sure didn't want to drive across the country and have to sit in the peanut gallery.

Here's my "rails" photo for the day.

train-tracks59lgf.jpg

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news on the train front: my landlord FINALLY got around to sending the DCC equipment so I have that all hooked up now.

Bad news is I can tell he isn't the one that packed this box. Someone cut the power cord going to my NCE hub to I had to fix that. The plug in cord for my rope light wasn't included. He sent my drill and charger but not the battery. Still hasn't sent any of the manuals and catalogues I need. I mean come on!! WTF!
He's too much of an anal perfectionist to do something like all that. I'll bet it was his son.

Anyway, I'm back on DCC now.
E.

Johnny .... Your layout is progressing very well. ... Thank you for commenting on my photos.

Chet ..... Thanks for your kind remarks. .... I like the rails photo.

Eric ... Glad you have your DCC back in spite of the way it was packed.

Good morning all, 59 and mostly cloudy.

Garry--nice layout shots

Eric-- good some of your stuff came

Chet and Jerry-- sounds like you are in the thick of fire season. It is usually Mother Nature that does the heavy lifting in putting them out.

Johnny-- Benchwork is really progressing!

Good morning, Happy Friday! 78° and sunny. Cat's still being difficult, eating the minimum, but eventually she will be hungry enough to eat the food. :confused:.

Garry: The bridge scenery looks real good. Nice work. Cool photo for Chet also!

O's had a 1'42" rain delay, the winning streak has ended, 7-5 Detroit win, Tillman is the new Ubaldo, for sure. 5 earned runs, 2 unearned in less than 3 innings. :mad: Well, it was nice while the streak was going. Which brings up another point about how sports fans think. Most likely, the O's will not make the playoffs this year, however, that point is not certain. Some of the analytics oriented fans on the blog sites are angry that the O's didn't sell off players like Machado, and tank the rest of the season. Where is this logic coming from? My understanding was never quit, play hard and do your best. Play with heart. These fellows would rather give up and hope for a better draft pick. Some Devils Hockey fans are of the same mindset. They complain of the terrible defence, but are afraid that with the new offensive talent, the team will make a playoff run, and miss the draft lottery! WTF? :confused::confused::confused:

Willie, thanks for the tip on the Magnuson kits.

Okay - I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines on the baseball talk. Seems there are a lot of folks on the forum talking about their teams. I was raised in NY and as a kid I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan until they moved to LA in 1958. So I moved all my "fan-ship" to LA teams - Dodgers, Lakers, Rams. So, how 'bout them Dodgers this year - best record in baseball, just ended a 9-game win streak and 53 straight wins in games when they had a lead at any point in the game.
There - got my 2 cents in!! :)

Back