Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing short of a swift kick to the journal boxes will hinder me!
We must talk, or communicate somewhere along, that I may be sure and have your favorite "afternoon tea" available.

I'll be in touch before then. I'll be leaving out of Virginia next Thursday on the Harley and doing some touring before I get to California.

Afternoon All,

It's pouring outside right now, so no watering grass or adding water to the pool:cool:. Did some chores and errands earlier today, but I was able to finish up the stairs on the kit. The shingles did come in today, so I should be able to finish the roof tomorrow.

Ken- A modeler friend of mine locally does the soaking like you, then hangs them from a string (attached from the trunk) and then puts a wood clothes pin on the top of the tree that has a heavy nut super glued to the 2 arms that you squeeze on the clothes pin. This gives some weight to help straighten out the trunk.

Sherrel- Good to see you doing better. At least you have a reason for messed up sleep...I don't!

I don't know why my pictures are posting sideways all of the sudden, they have the correct orientation on my desktop and phone.

20170713_151924.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Ken- A modeler friend of mine locally does the soaking like you, then hangs them from a string (attached from the trunk) and then puts a wood clothes pin on the top of the tree that has a heavy nut super glued to the 2 arms that you squeeze on the clothes pin. This gives some weight to help straighten out the trunk.
Curt, the soaking didn't work for me - more than half of the trees were still crescent-shaped when I took them off. Obviously I haven't nailed the technique yet, I guess this is one of those things where one has to practice a lot to get it right. I did the "strategic burning" with the soldering iron and was able to get most of them looking ok, but not without also burning away some of the surrounding branches. I got them painted, tomorrow I'm hoping to get the foliage applied. These trees are definitely labor-intensive!

Your tower looks great no matter what the view angle, and it's bringing back memories of my late teens when I would hang out at North Avenue [NA] Tower on the B&O, usually during the midnight hours, waiting for trains to emerge out of the upper end of the Howard Street Tunnel. I discovered the tower operator was also a closet model railroader, and I eventually got him to join the BSME.

NA_Tower_800x600.jpg

The track in the foreground is a Penn Central (PRR) industrial branch line that crossed the B&O main line, hence the need for a tower at that spot.

Welll..... I've placed ordered with Home Depot for the hardware (braces, screws and carriage bolts) to build the new table.
That was just shy of $100 - I'll likely spend more "gettin' 'er done!

I have a lumber list ready. I need to get Brother Wild Bill to borrow a pickup truck. Unless he thinks he fit 4x8 sheets in the back of his Yukon. With the seats down he might. In that case I can get lumber this weekend when he's off.

I suppose I could go ahead and order 2 cases of roadbed and a lot more track. A case of flex-track is dam expensive all at once!!!!
Anyone got a better deal than MBK?

Joe - do you have a link to a proto-photo of that "3-way dump truck" you want to get? I don't believe I've ever seen one of those... - ken in Maryland

Ken: I have to find a link. They are/were a Hi-Rail Dump Truck.

It seems my DVM has taken a proverbial sh.t and thus I need a new one.
I was driving some trains and debugging the track and everything took a dive.
I couldn't get any engine to run at all. It seems my volt meter (DVM) doesn't want to work either now.

WTF over!

Good morning, everyone. Time for a cup of coffee and a cinnamon doughnut before heading to a breakfast meeting. 72 and cloudy here in SW MO, 94% humidity and reaching only 84 today - that's cooler than the past 5 or 6 days, but man we need rain.

Chet - some day I'll try decaling whole freight cars, but right now I'm just happy when I get some structure decal on right :) Getting better at it, but nowhere like you pros.

Still waiting for an MBKlein order to come in. Did a little landscaping on the layout last night, and started work on a new structure kit, a dairy distributor. Also getting ready to start Merchants Row 5. Still have two or three other kits waiting in the wings, and two more coming in the MBKlein order.

Gotta run to that meeting. have a good day everyone.

DRAT! .. Been up for two hours already.
Spousal Unit left the house at 4:30 to drive daughter/husband/g-son to LAX for a 6 day Hawaii mini vacation, and I have a Dr appointment in Riverside at 9:30.
Drat, Drat, and Drat!
I have to get off this Merry-go-round of Dr. Appointments again -- 5 in the next 4 weeks!

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 82. Supposed to reach 97+, with humidity to match.
Last night, somebody took out several power lines with their car, and three entire neighborhoods are without power, and will be without power until at least noon today.

Good Morning All. A bit cooler this morning at 73° and clear. Probably hit 96° again today. Spent a little time again yesterday making salsa, tomato production has slowed down some and the heat (or something else) has wiped out about 50% of the plants. Today is spaghetti sauce day. Most of the remaining production for a while is for fresh eating. By the way, these yellow tomatoes make for some interesting looking pasta sauce if you don't run it through the blender with plenty of red ones.
As a diversion from doing the buss wiring and running trains, I started another laser-cut wood kit yesterday. This one is a Blair Line one called "Green Door Lounge". I got as far as priming the wood and painting the doors/windows.
Have to agree with everyone else regarding Athearn vehicles. I don't have any of those RR related ones, but I have many others. I need to try "Super Trees" some day. I've seen Dave's video and others and I am really impressed. Just never bought any.

Chet - That short growing season would not suit me, I really like gardening. I only wish that I did have an army to assist! I can generally grow enough in the spring (Feb-June) for fresh consumption and enough for canning/freezing for 10-12 months for selected vegetables. I do a smaller garden in the fall for fresh eating mainly. I am about to hit the dead time of year when nothing grows due to the prolonged heat, some things will survive for the fall, but not much. Resume after Labor Day.
Garry - Retirement boring! Not me either. Sad though, that I have friends that are my age who didn't plan well and have to continue working until they are unable. Then there are others, my wife included, that continue to work because they like what they are doing. After 43 years of working (for the same company no less), I am very happy to be out of the "grind".
Curt - Glad that you were able to re-post the picture upright. It gets tiring when I constantly have to turn the monitor sideways!!! ;) NOT! Tower is looking good.
Ken in Md - I like your picture of the tower with the "Old Grand Dad" billboard in the background. My dad was a liquor distributor for that brand, and we had all sorts of promotional stuff like lamps, clocks, ashtrays, pens and towels in our house, with that brand name on it. I still use an "Old Grand Dad" umbrella! The slogan on it is "Make it with an older man, make it with 'Old Grand Dad'".

OK, I have posted this before, but this website seems to be off-line again. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It generally happens around this time of day. It's not me or my IP as other sites are working. 7:50 - Seems like we are back and I can "post reply" now.

Well everyone have an awesome day.
Willie

Oh My!
It's a sad day at Black Rock when I am posting ahead of Terry and Willie!

Going to go and try to shave my neck that is missing a lot of feeling surrounding the areas where the incisions were made - strange feeling indeed!

Good Morning. Starting at 63 degrees. Gonna be another hot one today. Did put the A/C on last night.

Sherrel - May have to change your name to grumpy for a few weeks. Grin.gif It sure sounds like a pain in the butt, but it will all be over in time. The main thing is that the procedure was successful and you are on the road to recovery.

Terry - Sounds like one of your skilled drivers. It is hard to realize how you can take power for granted until something like this happens. I do have a back up generator for instances like this. With and snow can take power out pretty easy where we live. Got tired of the outages.

Willie - Out here we consider the period from Mamorial Day to Labor Day out growing season. Any additional time is not very common. When our kids were young, we had a large garden and managed to get some excellent crops, but it was a lot of work, but we did put the kids to work. I did put up my owl scarecrow yesterday. The robins we have hanging around seen to like to perch on out porch railings and the DirecTV dish and crap all over them. Maybe the owl can keep them away.

IMAG1183.jpg

Johnny -
None of us were experts when we got into the hobby. It is a constant learning curve. I am still learning thing. Your time will come.

Curt - I think I have the same tower kit.

IMAG0566.jpg

Excellent building. Glad you finally got the photo right side up. Just remember what you did.

Eric - Hope you are able to figure out what's up. Gotta be able to run trains. Glad to see thqat you are moving ahead on getting a layout going.

Joe - With the heat and especially the humidity you've had up there, enjoy the lower temps.

Found some neat track photos and I'll try to post one each day for a while. Could make a nice wallpaper for a computer.

Autumn_Railway-wallpaper-10757004.jpg

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, it is 65 with 89% humidity this morning.

Forgot to update everyone on the 88 suburban I bought from my Moms estate (my Dad's truck)--the oil pressure was reading zero when it was warmed up and it turns out when the dealer checked it out it was really at 10 and 6 is the minimum spec. I guess that needle does not have to be up very high.

I have put over 500 miles on the beast and I am lovin it. Already one person wanted to buy it off me. The motor is a massive 454 and it does not seem like you are really moving when going down the road.

Will be putting some details on the depot today, pictures to be posted later...

Chet---Love the "track" photo

Curt--The tower is lookin great

Willie-- have fun making the salsa

Curt---the tower is lookin excellent!

Sherrel--hang in there!!!!

Good morning Everybody!

I'll be in touch before then. I'll be leaving out of Virginia next Thursday on the Harley and doing some touring before I get to California.

Godspeed my friend!

Hello everybody ..
Regarding memories of childhood toys ...... In addition to Lincoln Logs, I had erector sets and a chemistry set. My trains were Marx at first, and next I had Lionel. ... Instead of those toys, today's kids have Legos, and I think that is good for them as long as their parents keep them away from too much TV and computer games.

Garry as usual you are right on target. The children of today need guidance and supervision. Parents need to set limits and take time to participate in alternative activities. Otherwise, video games, YouTube and TV will take over. It is too easy to fall into the trap of letting these electronic devices become baby sitters. I refuse to put the video games into their room. When they play I am right their with them. many of these games are played online and with people we have no idea who they are. I want to know what is going on! Other than sleeping the only activities they have in their bedroom are board games and action figures.

I bought 2 plastic cabinets with drawers on wheels for my boys to keep their Legos organized. The dinning room table is almost always available to then to use for building. I have 2 cabinets so that each of my grandsons have a place to keep their unfinished projects on top of. My daughter-in-law does not like the plastic cabinets in the dinning room, but I'm more concerned with my boys then I am aesthetics.

I don't believe God created any bad children, bad parents do that.

Test. I did nothing different but now it loads correctly. I hate computers.

View attachment 62322

Curt,
Technology is great, when it works, great Tower!

... bringing back memories of my late teens when I would hang out at North Avenue [NA] Tower on the B&O, usually during the midnight hours, waiting for trains to emerge out of the upper end of the Howard Street Tunnel. I discovered the tower operator was also a closet model railroader, and I eventually got him to join the BSME.

NA_Tower_800x600.jpg

The track in the foreground is a Penn Central (PRR) industrial branch line that crossed the B&O main line, hence the need for a tower at that spot.

Great photo and thank you for the description!

Good morning, Happy Friday! 67°, and raining. Not getting out of the 70s all day.

Boris, it's already 85 here in southeast Baltimore! This heat is wearing me down. I was nearly exhausted after the 4th of July and I still have not fully recovered. I've been sleeping 2+ hours during the heat of the day then working a few hours after 7pm. I don't have the energy to do any more than that. At least It's only fatigue, my health is doing good.

It seems my DVM has taken a proverbial sh.t and thus I need a new one.
I was driving some trains and debugging the track and everything took a dive.
I couldn't get any engine to run at all. It seems my volt meter (DVM) doesn't want to work either now.
WTF over!

E Did you check the battery? I have one that will kill a 9v battery overnight if I leave it on.

It's good to hear about your layout progress.

DRAT! .. Been up for two hours already.
Spousal Unit left the house at 4:30 to drive daughter/husband/g-son to LAX for a 6 day Hawaii mini vacation, and I have a Dr appointment in Riverside at 9:30.
Drat, Drat, and Drat!
I have to get off this Merry-go-round of Dr. Appointments again -- 5 in the next 4 weeks!

Sherrel 4 weeks from now you will look back and say "that was not so bad" Great to see your posts, I hope those 4 weeks go by quickly.

Good morning everyone. 73 with 96% humidity, heading for 94 today. Chance of rain tonight and tomorrow, emphasis on "chance." If we don't get some rain soon the ground's gonna start crackin'.

Lincoln Logs, Erector sets, and Lafayette radio kits were my boyhood hobbies, along with an American Flyer set that my dad let me keep set up in the basement most of the year. Also set up my own mini science laboratory down there. Great fun, lots of creative room, developed fine motor skills - today kids get their fine motor skills texting and playing video games (which I can't stand).

Have a good day everyone.

Johnny your post reminded me of those kits I use to get from Radio Shack, I really enjoyed playing with them!

Video games are not so bad, I love the sports games. I just don't have much time for them anymore. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut there is a video game out their you would like. God knows there are thousands of them!

A special anniversary today for me. Two years ago today, was my last day of work. Retirement began on July 13, 2015. Never looked back. Never miss it. I do miss some of the folks that I worked with, although there are two that I still see from time to time. Hey! One lives only 13 miles away, that's like next door! I was actually supposed to work until the 15th, but they told me to "get out of here". OK though, as I was paid until the 31st anyway.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Happy anniversary Willie! Like everything else you do you are smart about how you do it! I'm glad you are enjoying your retirement.

I was forced to the sidelines by my health, when I do actually retire I will follow your example and stay busy with productive and fun projects.

Most people who complain usually have to look no further than the mirror to find the source of their troubles. That does not apply to everyone, sometimes "stuff" happens that is beyond our control.

OK, I have posted this before, but this website seems to be off-line again. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It generally happens around this time of day. It's not me or my IP as other sites are working. 7:50 - Seems like we are back and I can "post reply" now.

I have never experienced that, but it has been a long time since I've been online early enough to know.

Chet those are all great photos, I look forward to seeing more, thank you!

Good morning, it is 65 with 89% humidity this morning.

Forgot to update everyone on the 88 suburban I bought from my Moms estate (my Dad's truck)--the oil pressure was reading zero when it was warmed up and it turns out when the dealer checked it out it was really at 10 and 6 is the minimum spec. I guess that needle does not have to be up very high.

I have put over 500 miles on the beast and I am lovin it. Already one person wanted to buy it off me. The motor is a massive 454 and it does not seem like you are really moving when going down the road.

David check the oil dip-stick to see if it shows the oil specification. If it is not listed ask Karl he will know. I bet it calls for 10W30. Most shops are using 5W30 now. It might not make much difference, but it is worth a try. That is a great vehicle. I plan to buy one when I retire to travel with my wife and dogs.

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYBODY!!!

Dang, almost 12 noon. I'm working from home today. Usually I get so wrapped up in my work, time just flies. Been at it since 6 this morning.
I've banked a few hours during the week so I'm going to be able to knock off at 1pm today then I can start doing some prep work on the bike to get it ready for travel later next week. I have a new front tire for it. I'll mount that on the front rim this Sunday. I'll change the motor and tranny oil this afternoon and change the primary case oil tomorrow.

Oh My!
It's a sad day at Black Rock when I am posting ahead of Terry and Willie!

Going to go and try to shave my neck that is missing a lot of feeling surrounding the areas where the incisions were made - strange feeling indeed!
I had to wait until I got to work, and could use electricity and internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back