Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is luan?

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Lauan, also known as Meranti, or Serai. A semi soft tropical timber, firstly from the Philipines, where it is virtually logged out and several other nations in the region including Africa. Mostly used for plywood manufacture. We get it here also as dimensional lumber and used for such things as window reveals (the part you see around the frame of the window inside) also doorway framing and trims. Close grained, light to darker reddish brown.

Eric = I have always chosen Lauan whenever possible. Lauan does not warp the way plywood does. unless you are tal;ing about some of the South American plys , or lately out here some of the Chinese plys. Brlieve me - you do not want the warping of the "pine" plywood.

HA .. Appears my fingers have forgot how to spell again!

Good morning everyone. 74 here in SW MO with 96% humidity - heading for 93 this afternoon.

Dave - sorry to hear about the jobsite incident. We'll pray for something better for you.
Eric - I'm sure the other guys on this forum will verify this, but from my limited experience those 80-foot passenger cars don't look good going around sharp curves (18", 22", even up to 30").

Down in the trainroom, I'm almost finished with the details on the passenger station. Even got some dry-transfer decals to come out right. Hey, I'm getting better at this!! :) Just waiting for an MBKlein order that has some people and luggage to finish this scene.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 76° and clear skies here in North Central Texas this morning. Forecast for the next three days is the same as the last three, 75°-95°, clear and little to no breeze. This is unusually cool for us, thankfully. Looks like tomato preservation is on tap again today. Spaghetti sauce is almost always the choice. I wish that I liked tomato juice, because I sure generate a lot of it in the canning process. Right now it just goes into the garden with it's accompanying nutrients to make the next round of veggies.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I found the missing pack of 28" metal wheels that I had misplaced. Only had one complete set left, but that's all that I needed. Did some more work on installing the structure lighting buss wire that's on my project list, along with the first three successful hook-ups. Always a satisfying moment. I posted last week that I had to replace a cardstock structure that was accidentally splashed with IPA/water mixture. Here is a picture of the ruined structure and its replacement.
07-10-17 009.JPG07-10-17 010.JPG
This is a model of Abe Lincoln's boyhood home that I downloaded for free from The Illinois State Historical Society website, along with about a dozen other structures, some of which I will not be able to use. I use it as a ranch house at a horse stable.

Thanks for the comments on the building and freight car, Chet, Garry, Curt and anyone that I may have missed.

Chet - I ran into the same thing when I was using the same fencing from Walther's, had to purchase another kit to finish. Ended up extending the fence since I had extra material.
Dave - Wow! Sorry to read about your morning. I guess that this job wasn't meant to be. Management must have picked you ahead of one of his friends/relatives. Filing a complaint, as good as it sounds, will only lead to further harassment. I've seen it before. Good luck in future endeavors.
Beady - Nice looking engine that looks like it runs really well.
Eric - I would go with 3 1/8" spacing on curves, NMRA recommendation is 2 31/32" but I like to be sure.
See this for reference:https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/.../pdf/rp-7.2_curved_track_centers_draft_02.pdf
I like plywood for benchwork surfaces, I do use luan for peninsula backdrops. Around here at least, luan is only available as thick as 1/4" which I consider too thin for my benchwork. I don't know what might be available in your area. With lots of bracing it may work. I also do not have humidity to deal with like some, so my plywood doesn't warp. I don't use MDF for many reasons, especially since I use track nails which are almost impossible to nail into MDF board. Folks who use caulk don't have that problem. MDF seems to be cheaper; I cannot comment on luan since they don't offer 1/2".
Sherrel - Dang! You're up early. Hope that it is choice and not from being uncomfortable.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie - Good Morning. Sorry, it's not choice. Couldn't get comfortable from the incisions on my neck. "Popped" a pain pill, but it takes a while to be effective.
I seem to be struggling to climb back from this one. Hopefully a day or two will make a great deal of difference.

Sherrel ... I hope you can get comfortable and rest.

Willie ... I like the Lincoln cabin. Reminds me of Lincoln Logs I played with as a kid. Does anyone else recall doing that ?

Eric ... I agree with Johnny. 80' passenger cars need at least 30" curves for appearance and also to reduce derailments.

Ebay gripes, one about sellers, the other about ebay itself's confusing instructions for both buyers and sellers which is at the root of the first. The changes to the Buy it Now and the In the Cart systems have been operating for quite some time now, but many are still confused as to how each works. Basicaly the B.i.N is for single item purchases only, that's it's purpose now. The Cart is for when you wan't more than one item and although I have not used it for buying items from more than one seller, I believe this is possible and ebay will send a single invoice for you to pay and they handle the payments to each seller. Mainly it's purpose is so you can buy multiples from a seller and then from within the cart, ask for an updated invoice, usually to combine the shipping price. The dumb thing is whenever you put an item in the cart, ebay issues a warning that it can be taken by someone else and urges you to complete the sale because it's not actually yours until you do. What they omit to say at that time is that there is a button in the cart to click that you can commit to buy with. This secures the item for you and removes it from the listing. You can then return to that sellers listing and add more item/s in the same way. Having commited to buy as you went, means you can then use the 'ask for an updated invoice/send a message' to get that updated invoice, or use the one you may find already provided with ebay's combined shipping, already calculated. If you haven't committed as you went, you're told you have to click where it says to do so, BEFORE you can send that request and you could also find that there has been no combined shipping discount applied to your purchases by ebay.

There are still sellers who haven't worked out the BiN/Cart systems and tell you to use the individual BiN's and they'll work it out and send an updated invoice. I've just bought a couple of items from a US seller who is not making the Cart system available at all. I've used it before where the seller has said to use multiple BiN's and he'll either adjust and send an invoice or worse, refund the individual shipping overpayment back via P/P, which means, as a buyer you lose out, because you've paid P/P's transfer fee on the total you sent. That might not matter too much on local postage prices, but it can be on international...

The Cart system works very well, when it is understood by both parties. What happened with this transaction though was that I was prevented from using the Cart to ask for that combined invoice because the seller had, according to the message 'This seller does not provide shipping or other discounts, continue to the checkout' in red. Yet on his listing he say's he does. So, I had to do the individual BiN's, commit to buy, but not action the payment and send a message through 'Questions' asking for that invoice. If it goes belly up, I've got it in writing that he does on the listing.

I blame ebay for not fully and clearly explaining how these systems work.

On a local ebay.com.au note, something is not working as it should and so far (including ebay.com), no other site seems affected. Pitifully slow, jerky, won't scroll, the little circle thingy that goes around stops and dissappears. Has been doing this for days now.

Sherrel, great to see you posting, but not so good that you've had an uncomfortable night. The incisions in the neck were not caused by Dracula, you can at least rest easy about that. When I had my heart surgery, they told me beforehand that I might have pain there for a short time, because they insert a tube for painkillers etc there. I was lucky, didn't affect me, but another fellow it did. He asked the Surgeon, when he came to visit, why it was and he said "that was where he had his knee when they were operating" Cheered him up no end.

Willie - Good Morning. Sorry, it's not choice. Couldn't get comfortable from the incisions on my neck. "Popped" a pain pill, but it takes a while to be effective.
I seem to be struggling to climb back from this one. Hopefully a day or two will make a great deal of difference.

702228c73975441fdb2f1e74e7d8ee12.jpg

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Sherrel ... I hope you can get comfortable and rest.

Willie ... I like the Lincoln cabin. Reminds me of Lincoln Logs I played with as a kid. Does anyone else recall doing that ?
QUOTE]

I do! I loved my Lincoln Logs!!! I built many a Fort and used them with my cowboys and Indians. (like army men, brown cowboys and red Indians) "dog gone injins are on the war path again!" I always called it Fort Apache, I never was very creative, but I had lots of fun playing with them on rainy days when I was not allowed out. "but Nanny everybody else is out"; Nanny would always say "if they all jump off the Brooklyn bridge are you going with them?" Case closed, time to play with my toys.

I bought my Grandsons each a big set a few years ago. They each briefly played with them for a short time on Christmas day and never opened the round box again. The last I seen them was when my daughter was taking stuff to goodwill. I was sad at first, then hopeful somebody would enjoy them.

Good morning. Started off at 53 degrees this morning with a high expected in the low 80's.

Eric - My preference is plywood for a bench top. I haven't had any experience with other products because I started with plywood and it worked so well for me, I never looked into anything else. I also agree with Garry on the diner. Stripes really aren't needed. Years ago when I was traveling up and down the east coast, I always looked for diners. They seem to always have some of the best food and I would say that the majority if the old fashion diners were just silver. Unfortunately, out here there are no diners, but there is still some fantastic food.

Sherrel - Sorry to hear about the discomfort, but you will get better. If it doesn't effect your meds, you can always try some John Wayne therapy, whiskey. Grin.gif

Dave - Sorry to hear about your job. Sure hope you can find something else that works for you.

Willie - Like the building. Just ordered another fence kit to complete the salvage yard.

Beady - I had to go back and look at your video again to make sure that the Big Boy was N scale. If locomotives ran as good as today's N scale 30 years ago, I would probably still be into N scale. Sure had some crappy N scale locos back then.

Later.

Add Me to the list: I loved my Lincoln Logs!!!
And also the Tinker Toys!
AND when I was a little older - The AC Gilbert Erector Set. I had so much fun creating anything I could think of. Kids today have zero imagination!

Good afternoon all, it is 86 and I am headed for the pool---back to being retired again. My wife actually got a job, after not working for 7 years. She was not even looking, one of here church friends recruited her and BOOM she is back in the workplace. Albeit only part time, she can still do the laundry and cooking as well! (win win )

My bad job experience now frees me up more to get back to my model railroad structures!!!!

EVERYONE, THANK YOU for the kind words and support. I picked out one comment,

Dave, if you happened to have more experience than that guy did, he probably saw you as a threat to his position, hence the hostility. .

you know, this happens more often than we may think.

Sherrel, Garry, I loved the same toys. Must have been prep work for model railroading

Afternoon All,

No modeling today, instead I spent 4.5 hours pressure washing the pool deck and back of the house. Luckily I wasn't in the direct sun for most of it, but the heat and humidity definitely took their toll. I just want to sit here for a extended period of time!

Beady- Nice looking Big Boy.

Dave- I am sorry you had that experience. I was thinking it could also be that the jack a** thought the company would try to squeeze out higher paid employees with lower paid ones.

Willie- The building looks great.

Chet- No, no bunny operator;).

Eric- I used basic plywood, but my layout is inside the house so it's climate controlled and I have never had that type of issue (about 5 years).

Louis/Sherrel/Dave- I loved Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys. I never had a Erector Set. I think the problem is that we had to use our imaginations since there were no cell phones or computers like nowadays, and I believe kids now are missing out on a lot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

TINKER toys were the greatest. Amazing what one could do with multiple sets. The AC Gilbert Erector set, with the motor was also awesome. Lincoln Logs, not so much, we had a hand me down set with a lot of missing parts. That was like playing Solitaire with a deck of 51.

Today was a hot one, 91 and muggy. Looks like rain, maybe?

Sherrel: This too will pass. Couple more days and you will be better. When you consider, that you, yourself, were not sure you would make it this far, You are doing great.! You're Here! You're going to complete this process and completely recover. You are almost there.

Add Me to the list: I loved my Lincoln Logs!!!
And also the Tinker Toys!
AND when I was a little older - The AC Gilbert Erector Set. I had so much fun creating anything I could think of. Kids today have zero imagination!

Mega 10-4, roger that, ditttos..... etc..... on erector sets!!!!
I loved building stuff with them!!!!
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back