Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized that right away. The destroyer in the background is a Leahy class DLG. How's the mouth doing????

ungodly painful. Swelling has to come down more before he can pull them. Scheduled for 0845 Monday.

Normally I don't try to be critical, but TAKE THE FRIGGIN PAIN MEDS.!
They will help relax you and that will help the swelling to come down.
Being tensed up tight with the pain is compounding the problem, IMHO!

Good evening. 67*F , light rain with a bit of thunder in the distance. We really dodged a bullet with this storm system, it's passing to the south of us. Richmond VA is getting clobbered!:eek: Take a look at the TWC screen capture and you'll see what I mean.

Eric - I'm with Sherrell, you've got to take those industrial strength meds! I think your putting your life in danger if you don't.

Not much mrr activity to report as of late, been pretty busy with "life" both at work and on the home front. Karl will be bringing a few of his Atlas RS3's over on Sunday afternoon for a test drive, looking forward to that!

Good evening all,

Clear
78.1 °F
Feels Like 78 °F
N
Wind from WNW

Pressure 29.98 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 78 °F
Dew Point 46 °F
Humidity 32%
Rainfall 0.00 in

Good morning. Cloudy and cool, 65°, while the chance of meaningful rain has diminished to under 50%.

Garry: Hopefully things will calm down and you will be able to spend some quality time at home.

Eric: Best of luck, with the dentist, today. Your link didn't work for me either.

Willie: Safe trip and enjoy Father's Day,

David: The Passenger Sharks were already on the way out when the photo was taken. They were determined to be unfit for main line service, and were exiled to secondary and branchline service, along with the ALCO PA1s/PB1s. The NY and Long Branch was, (is), a densely used commuter line, Linking the Northern and Central Jersey Shore with Newark, Jersey City and New York. Back when the photo was taken, the line was a 66 mile,shared asset, running from South Amboy to Bay Head Junction. It was owned, two thirds by the PRR, and one third by the Jersey Central. Although a branch, It was the perfect spot for the Sharks to run out their days, as it was at minimum, a heavy duty two (+), track main line operation. The Sharks replaced K4s Steam power in 1957, and remained in service until 1964.

View attachment 57387

What appears to be a CNJ lite power move through South Amboy.

We have to go back to the MIL's house, tomorrow, to spruce it up a bit. Has not seen a broom or dust mop in quite a while. Woke up this morning, aching from every joint in my body...Two extra strength Tylenol will work, until the Mobic kicks in.

Joe: The information and history you mention is very interesting and gives us a better picture of the Eastern RR operations. On thing you mentioned was that the, Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton {added], Sharks were determined to be unfit for main line service. What cause that I wonder. I tried to look it up but didn't come across anything about that issue.

Here's some information I found on them.

Type and origin
Power type Diesel-electric
Builder Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton

Model RF-16
Build date November 1950 – May 1953
Total produced 160

Specifications
AAR wheel arr B-B
UIC class Bo′Bo′
Gauge 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Length 54 ft 4 in (16.56 m)
Loco weight 266,000 lb (120,656 kilograms)
Prime mover 608A
Engine type Four-stroke diesel
Aspiration Turbocharger
Displacement 15,832 cu in (259.44 L)
Generator DC generator
Traction motors DC traction motors
Cylinders Inline 8
Cylinder size 12 3⁄4 in × 15 1⁄2 in (324 mm × 394 mm)
Transmission Electric
Loco brake Straight air
Train brakes Air
Performance figures
Power output 1,600 hp (1,193.12 kW)
Tractive effort 43,000 lbf (191.3 kN)
Career
Operators Baltimore & Ohio Railroad,
New York Central Railroad,
Pennsylvania Railroad
Locale North America
Disposition 2 preserved, remainder scrapped.

Interestingly enough, many years back a friend's father bought him a Shark Nose Diesel set in the PRR Dark Green as his son seem interested in it, possibly because of I pointed out to him, but lost interest in it shortly thereafter. The father got a bit up set and tossed the boxed set in the trash. I asked if he couldn't take it back to the hobby shop where he bought and he said no, he didn't want to do that but asked me if I wanted it but I felt too uncomfortable about accepting and passed it up. I'm not sure if it was passenger or freight?

Eric: I'd suggest you use a little bit of Hydrogen Peroxide, the stuff is dirt cheap and works to kill infection. Use about half a jigger of it, and swish that around your teeth that and infected area. Swish it around so it foams up good and try and continue to do it for about 30 seconds and spit it out. You may have to repeat it several times in fairly close succession but it will kill the pain after a bit. You may have repeat this 4-6 times. It usually works for me in 3 or 4 but at $1.00 per quart at the $/store, so what!

Several years back I was told I need two root canals and I had fairly severe pain going up along the Right side of my nose as a result of a cavities in the first two teeth and the third one was somewhat bad too. Not having any insurance I remembered what I did some years back in using Hydrogen Peroxide to kill the pain in a back molar. After I used the HP a few times the pain subsided and the swelling and redness went down and finally went away after a couple of days of swishing the HP around in my mouth. Also, in the process of doing this I could see my gums near the lower and upper teeth actually turned rather white looking and hurt too the point where I couldn't touch them with my electric tooth brush. I kept using the HP and after a couple of days all the infection in my gums went away and I could brush them having HP in my mouth while brushing. The first tooth to the Right of the Right front tooth was getting very thin and the dentist claimed he couldn't or wouldn't do anything till it broke off, which it finally did but I still have a portion of it and no more pain!

There's a solution, NPI, for you.

73 and clear here. Heading to 93 today.

It occurred to me that I haven't had any of my flying machines out in a while.
A neighbor asked yesterday morning if I had been flying any of my drones.
So yesterday evening I got one out.
I didn't have the video chip in and running. Too bad. It was a great flight all be it some what close in.
Maybe a couple thousand sq/ft.
E

Good Morning All. A bit cooler this morning at 74 degrees, going up to 96 today. That's the predicted pattern for the next ten days. No travel today, so I can get back to mowing. 1/4 acre done yesterday, 2 3/4 acres left to go! Canned more green beans from the garden yesterday, and tomatoes are beginning to overwhelm us. I will probably start to freeze some Saturday, and make spaghetti sauce and salsa for canning next week. I've actually made catsup in past years when I had some to spare. Can you tell that I like gardening? No train activity yesterday, but I will make up for it today.
Eric - Too bad about the delay. I wish you well. I don't have any home remedies other than Advil, but that hydrogen peroxide thing from David sounds interesting. Just don't swallow any if you try it.
That's a couple of handsome looking young men it those ship pictures. What happened? LOL Watch out for trees with those flying machines!
Joe - As Chet posted, I too appreciate all of the information and pictures that you regularly post regarding the eastern RR's, and their motive power. I learn every day from your posts...don't always remember it though!
Sherrel -
On the getting old part - Wait till you really get something wrong. LoL
Don't be trying to scare me. I've been lucky so far, and I do work at remaining healthy. These home-grown veggies are, I believe, part of the overall good health plan. Only time will tell.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good Morning. 38 chilly degrees to start off the day and highs predicted in the mid 70's.

Willie - It does seem that you do like your gardening and have a bumper crop. We used to have a 30' by 80' garden when the kids were still young and did quite a lot of canning, but now that they are out on their own, I'm glad we no longer have a garden. Not much of a growing season up here. We figure from Memorial Day to Labor Day, if we're lucky. It was nice to have all of the fresh veggies.

Eric - Keep the drone away from trees. laugh.gif

Catch you later.

Well I took the drone out for 2 early morning flights. Golly mercy it's dam hot already with humidity over 80%.
No worry about the trees. I'm still doing short duration re-orientation flights.
I guess the last "serious" flight I did was that infamous day last year when I lost it.

Sherrel -
Don't be trying to scare me. I've been lucky so far, and I do work at remaining healthy. These home-grown veggies are, I believe, part of the overall good health plan. Only time will tell.
Everyone have a great day.
Willie

Willie .. Not trying to scare you at all. I think you are doing a great job. I enjoy your gardening, walks, and general exercise working around your property. Heck, I am jealous. I am so far behind in my projects that I can't seem to find a starting place, so I just seem to get nothing done.
Keep doing what you are doing .. once you slow down .. it is hard to get started again!

It's starting to warm up out here. Looking for a high of 90 today with a 5-6 degree increase each day to 111 on Monday. Eeeks!

Happy Friday. Y'all.

Running late this morning. Feel much better, getting a good night's sleep really does help.

David: The only Baldwin Shark mass produced in cast metal or plastic in HO was the freight version. The most recent examples are those produced by Bachmann and BLI. Both are models of the later RF16 model.
There was also an RF15 version, with 1500 HP. The only BP20 (2000 HP passenger version) produced was in Brass. Someone also produced Resin shells meant to go over Proto 2000 PA frames. Rumor has it that BLI is planning a passenger version.
When I said that they were not suited for main line operation, it concerned reliability. They were not as reliable as other power, so when the PRR reduced E-W long haul passenger service in 1957 - 1958 in response to the recessions that occurred during those years, the Baldwins were surplus. Since they still had considerable time on their equipment trust, they were Banished (reassigned) to the NY&LB, enabling the PRR to replace it's remaining steam passenger power.
As with all Baldwin built diesel power, when they were at 100%, they out performed anyone else' diesel power. However, they had numerous design flaws that caused reliability issues for which there were no solution.
A modern equivalent, would be Amtrak's HHP8 which were introduced in 2002, and were retired in 2014, due to insurmountable reliability issues.

07-PRR7133CamdenNJ050155rp.jpg

Good afternoon, all,

I'm feeling rather odd, like I'm going to coming down with something, time for more sleep.

Later

Howdy.

I'm finally back home. ..... Lot's of catching up to do.

I found this video recently. It's an old news story from 1952 when the SP passenger train, The City of San Francisco, was stranded in snow for three days. .... Perhaps some of you have seen it. It was the first time for me to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Yew1UQuQE

Good evening. It's cloudy, windy, and 88.
Looks like we'll be moving the coffee shop over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back