Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken, I have a pair of Walthers SD9s, and they traverse #4 turnouts just fine. I did have to install the extended Kadee couplers on them, because they would tend to pull each other off the rails in the reverse curve in the turnouts.

Ken, I have a pair of Walthers SD9s, and they traverse #4 turnouts just fine. I did have to install the extended Kadee couplers on them, because they would tend to pull each other off the rails in the reverse curve in the turnouts.

I dunno Terry, maybe it's just the fact that this Peco #5 turnout is at the end of a rather sharp curve (<= 18"R)? I tried for several hours to get that SD9 to go over the turnout, but it derailed 3 times out of 4. My Proto2000 SW9, OTOH, sailed thru it effortlessly every time. I finally decided it wasn't worth wasting any additional time just to be able to run SD9's.

Good Morning All. Warm this morning at 77 degrees with clear skies. Highs for the next few days are supposed to be in the mid-90's. Where's our triple digits? Supposed to be here by now. Made the grocery/beer trek yesterday and stopped by Home Depot for a few 1" x 4"'s to use on the next section of layout. Already have the plywood. I will probably start next week, I am hoping to get another 10' built. I don't expect much time in the train shed as this is a busy week for me since my wife and I are going to Dallas this morning to visit the financial advisor and tomorrow we are meeting her sister and BIL from Tennessee for lunch in Denton. With all of the recent rain, the garden is going crazy and that will occupy other spare time. Then there is mowing. It's amazing what warm weather and rain can do to grass/weeds.
Eric - Continued good luck with the dentistry. I am with you, as I had three broken teeth removed in January. Got to go back in July for the next step for implants, only have one bottom molar right now.
Sherrel - Thanks for the Frisco photo. It's my second favorite RR. Absolutely love the cream and orange paint scheme. I actually have one Frisco locomotive for use on an interchange track. It travels 10' out of staging and 10' back about once every two weeks.
Terry/Karl - Been there, done that with employees. I was in management for 38 years. Firing someone was the best way to get everyone else's attention. My favorite (happened more than once over the years) was when someone refused a job by telling me it wasn't their job to do that. I would gently remind them that they were paid by the hour and not the job, Generally never saw them again.
Chet - Cool video.
All right, it's time for a walk before it gets much warmer. See you all later.
Everyone have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning. 52°, and sunny.

Ken: SD9s, should definitely take a PECO #5, and an Atlas #4, Don't know why you are having this difficulty. My opinion, go with Atlas RS3s. The Athearn Body has better detail, but the drive stinks. The Atlas drive, both Kato and later are the best.

BP20 at Asbury Park.jpg

Baldwin power at its best, PRR class BP20. note Main Tracks ballasted with cinders, instead of stone. Signals on bridge at right are CNJ style color light signals. No PRR Position light signals until East of Perth Amboy.

Curt will enjoy this pix.

Good morning all. Already 82,feels like 87. Humid,clear,little to no breeze. Should get back up to 95 later with index over 104. Even with garage doors and windows open to hot to run trains. Should have taken 1/2 of family room 17 years ago when moved here for inside train pike. Oh well. Hindsight is 20-20.

Have couple places to go to- Meds and food run. Back later.
ERIC- Best of luck with dentist.
Rest of you, stay well.
Phil

Yeah Karl, that's what the consensus seems to be on all the reviews I've seen - that's why I've decided on Atlas!

Ken, The only reason I prefer the Atlas over the Kato is the damn yellow Kato headlight. Otherwise they are equal.
BTW, I can bring a pair down with me for a run session if you like.???

Good morning, 52 and foggy. We are in a stretch of cloudy, drizzly weather. Supposed to be 80's and see some sun starting Thursday, though.

Good morning. 44 degrees and rain to start off the day. Guess I won't have to move hoses and get the rain birds going today.

Joe - Fantastic photo of the shark. Probably one of the best I've seen. appl.gif

Ken - You can't go wrong with the Atlas RS units. Years ago Athearn probably had the best bang for the buck locomotives until Atlas introduced their RS units. I got one to try it out and it was so good that I bought around 10 units, RS=1's, RS=3's, RS=4/5 and RS-11's. These all fit great into the transition era. I had remotored all of my Athearn units with NWSL can motors and the Atlas units ran as good as the remotored units if not better. These were the very first releases which came out some time in the 80's I believe and they still run as good as the first day they were put on the track. Can't go wrong with Atlas.

Phil - You can keep the heat down there. Looks like you need A/C in the train room.

Catch you later.

I have to admit, anxiety is quite high about tomorrow's upcoming events at the dentist.
I had 6 permanent teeth pulled when I was in 3rd grade circa 48 years ago.
The experience was horrifying.

Then just before my Sr. year, my brother had impacted wisdom teeth. Mom & Dad had gone vaca to HI for 2 weeks and left me in charge. I had to deal with it. I took him to the hospital. They took me into the recovery room where he was and when he saw me, he reached out me hollering my name. His pain was obvious. I took care of him for a couple of days.

E

I have to admit, anxiety is quite high about tomorrow's upcoming events at the dentist.

Then just before my Sr. year, my brother had impacted wisdom teeth. Mom & Dad had gone vaca to HI for 2 weeks and left me in charge. I had to deal with it. I took him to the hospital. They took me into the recovery room where he was and when he saw me, he reached out me hollering my name. His pain was obvious. I took care of him for a couple of days.

E

Be brave little Backaroo, this too shall pass. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed, I think the vasectomy was worse. Later I had a molar removed, sang Steve Miller's "The Joker" all the way home.

Eric - You'll survive. Yesterday my daughter in law had all of her wisdom teeth removed and she's doing fine. She was extremely nervous about the whole thing but after it was over, she was doing fine. She said there was not really any pain, but just a dull ache. She's a girl and survived it. You should be just fine.

Joe - great shark photo!

Ken, The only reason I prefer the Atlas over the Kato is the damn yellow Kato headlight. Otherwise they are equal.
BTW, I can bring a pair down with me for a run session if you like.???
Yes I'd like that Karl, good to know before I buy if these things can handle that section of track.

Three words: Golden White LED.
Terry, that's exactly what I did to correct that problem on my Bachmann geeps!

Chet - I figured you would be weighing in on this conversation, I've read many times about how much you love your Atlas RS units!

Gotta get back to work now - catch y'all later!

E

Percocet, works wonders. Seriously, Eric, If the dentist is good at his trade, the extraxtions will go quickly. Just follow his post op instructions, and no Jack for 48 hours or so...

Good afternoon Rail Setters & Spike Drivers,
Hi Flo & Francine, How are my two favorite waitresses? Looks to be fairly busy today here at Jeffreys' Dinner.

The weather here in central Calif., is very nice let me check WW:
Clear 75.0 °F - Feels Like 77 °F;
Winds are Variable at 4.7 mph;

Pressure 29.98 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 77 °F
Dew Point 42 °F
Humidity 30%
Rainfall 0.00 in

= = =

Good morning. 52°, and sunny.

Ken: SD9s, should definitely take a PECO #5, and an Atlas #4, Don't know why you are having this difficulty. My opinion, go with Atlas RS3s. The Athearn Body has better detail, but the drive stinks. The Atlas drive, both Kato and later are the best.

View attachment 57364

Baldwin power at its best, PRR class BP20. note Main Tracks ballasted with cinders, instead of stone. Signals on bridge at right are CNJ style color light signals. No PRR Position light signals until East of Perth Amboy.

Say, Joe: That's one brand spanking new Loco or completely [100%] refurbished, gosh even the coupler is still new looking. Also it looks like it was freshly waxed and the lower front guard doesn't even seem to have much dirt on it! You must have just picked it up at the Baldwin Shops. Nice picture for sure! Do you have any idea of what the aparatus is the other side of the block wall?

Last edited by a moderator:
Percocet, works wonders. Seriously, Eric, If the dentist is good at his trade, the extraxtions will go quickly. Just follow his post op instructions, and no Jack for 48 hours or so...

Not to worry about the drink. I haven't had anything, not even a beer, in well over a week.
But I have plenty on hand for when I am ready!
As for pain killers, I won't take them. Aspirin or Alleve will do just fine enough.

Good evening. Another nice day. We listed the MIL's house for sale. Hopefully, it's priced right.

Eric: Pain killers, really don't work...neither do anti inflammatory. My shoulder has been bad for three days now, and nothing helps. Gettig old is no fun.

David:
Say, Joe: That's one brand spanking new Loco or completely [100%] refurbished, gosh even the coupler is still new looking. Also it looks like it was freshly waxed and the lower front guard doesn't even seem to have much dirt on it! You must have just picked it up at the Baldwin Shops. Nice picture for sure! Do you have any idea of what the aparatus is the other side of the block wall?

My guess for the photo is 1958. I'm not sure when the Single Dulux stripe replaced the 5 stripe scheme, but the Shark looks too clean so it must have been recent. Compare it to the P70 coaches that appear to be quite grungy. I'm not sure what that contraption behind the block wall. Asbury Park has changed a lot since that photo was taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back