Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening Spike Drivers and Ballast Tampers,

On the personal front: I'm feeling a lot better and next thing to being back in action!

If it's any consolation, if I edit a post, 9 times out of 10 it won't save. Have to copy then delete the original and paste the copy back into a new post.

Hi Toot: Thanks for mentioning that, sorry you also have so-oo much trouble too. It get to be a real PIA to put it very bluntly. It's just like what I wrote to Willie in my prior post above, when I went to post a reply to him with a quote, the darn circular wheel just kept spinning & spinning for about 15 minutes and I said to hell with it and copied and pasted his post myself and added the thing myself. Then when I went to quote you and Ken it did it just like we expect it to, right now!! Sometimes I don't know about this site??

Good evening. 69*F, clear and calm here in the "Free" State.

Karl thanks for the tip. I don't do Facebook but I've already seen a lot of them on eBay, I'm sure some of them will still be there when I'm ready to buy. I'll see you here tomorrow at 2!

David - hope you feel better.

Garry - welcome home! Interesting vids, both the SP train stuck in the snow, and the T1.

Joe - always enjoy reading your history lessons about NJ rail lines. I remember watching the RFK funeral train live on TV as it made its way thru the Corridor, my family had just moved to Maryland from Michigan ~6 months earlier.

Today was one of those days when I wondered why I'm even in this f______ hobby! I went to fix one of my industrial structures that got a few pieces knocked loose during the removal of the old stand-up freezer when somebody bumped into the benchwork. I figured this would be a ~45-minute job; wrong!! There are several interconnected pipe assemblies that have to line up exactly right. Problem is, after I get the first piece in the correct position, I go to do the second and that knocks the first piece back out of place - and vice versa.:mad: I felt like a dog chasing its tail. Plus, I had a few pieces break on me during the struggle - that slowed me down as well. I was working on this stupid thing for over five hours when I decided I better go to bed. Hopefully I'll be able to get it finished in the morning...

Have a good night, from the looks of things we'll all probably be in the new Shop tomorrow!

Say Ken: Thanks, I appreciate the thought. I am feeling a lot better, I think what I had was something like the 24 hr flu? I should be back Driving some spikes tonight for that matter.

Sorry to hear about the mishap, I know you meant to say with this Fascinating Hobby. Sometimes it's just a matter of taking a new approach to the task. I've run across similar situations and we often tend to try and use the tried & true method which is usually presenting ourselves with a challange which sometimes doesn't work out.
Could you possibly attach the tubes too some magic transparent tape that is fairly low tack to get them into position so they can be glued firmly in place and then remove the tape? Just a guess on my part.

Hopefully tomorrow will turn out better for you. Also, sometimes our subconscious minds will solve the problem while we're sleeping! I hope that the case for you!

Good Morning Folks. Happy Father's Day to all of you fathers and to all of your fathers. 77 degrees and partly cloudy this morning in North Central Texas. Wind is coming from the north so it will be slightly cooler today, 91 instead of 95. Raining 20 miles north of me in Oklahoma, but it isn't headed in this direction. Today is weedeater day since I now have most of the mowing out of the way. Later a trip to Dallas for a Father's Day BBQ at my daughter and SIL's house. We'll be joined by my other daughter's family so I get all three grandkids at the same time. Looks to be a great afternoon.
Didn't get much done on the modeling front yesterday as I spent much of the day smoking some spareribs for supper. Grilled some fresh pineapple slices to go with them. Won't get much modeling done today either.
Garry - Another interesting video, I see what Joe meant about wheel slip on that beast.
Ken - Good luck today, I've been there before, and many times just waiting until the next morning is a miracle-worker.
Everyone have a great Father's Day. It's also Juneteenth, a state holiday first observed in Texas in 1980, in commemoration of the abolition of slavery in Texas on June 19, 1865. Tomorrow is the full moon, followed on Tuesday by the summer solstice. For all of you numerologists out there, today is the last day of a ten day run where the date is the same either forward or backward - 61916. Happens again in 13 more months.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Coffee Shop Patrons!
Whew .. got to 98 here yesterday. It's 74 at 7:20 this morning with a high projected of 108, and I think even hotter tomorrow.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL .. Even if your not a father - you had one!

David - Hope your feeling better.

Eric - You too! How is the mouth doing?

Garry and Joe - thanks for all information your putting out.

Ken - good luck on getting the building back to order ... think "O" scale LoL!
Hope the RS's from Karl work out for you.

Been really busy around here with family and all ... I have been keeping up with the postings ... just didn't take time to write. Later guys.

Good morning. 83*F, sunny and calm here in central MD. Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there.

Sorry to hear about the mishap, I know you meant to say with this Fascinating Hobby. Sometimes it's just a matter of taking a new approach to the task. ... Could you possibly attach the tubes to some magic transparent tape that is fairly low tack to get them into position so they can be glued firmly in place and then remove the tape? Just a guess on my part. ...

David, as an ex-sailer I can assure you "fascinating" was definitely NOT what I was saying!:rolleyes: Thanks for the glue suggestion, but on a huge structure like this one I need to avoid gluing pieces together whenever possible in case I ever have to dissassemble it for transportation, or for use on a new layout. Been thru that a few times already. In the beginning I made a printed diagram of how everything is suppose to fit together, but I misplaced it!<grrrrr> That was part of the reason I was having these problems.

Ken - Good luck today, I've been there before, and many times just waiting until the next morning is a miracle-worker.
Ain't that the truth Willie! That's a lesson that took half a lifetime for me to learn <LOL>

Ken - good luck on getting the building back to order ... think "O" scale LoL!
Hope the RS's from Karl work out for you. ...

Thank you Sherrell, I got it to the point where it looks ok to the casual viewer. I decided to just skip trying to fit the pipes in locations that nobody can see anyway. At least now it's looking better than it did before the "earthquake"!

Everybody enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Eric - You too! How is the mouth doing?

aching and sore.
But I bet it ain't nothing like it's going to be about this time tomorrow.

I pray he doesn't delay it again. If so, I'll consider contacting an oral surgeon.

I did find an Athearn Genesis SD70ACe, DCC & sound, in BNSF colors that I'm considering "treating myself" to.

Good evening ... It's 5 pm and its 105 at the local weather station.
The temp indicator on my back patio is in the shade and it says 110.
Either one means HOT!

Have a good evening all ...

Good evening, Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads.

The July 2016 Model Railroader has drawings of the PRR N5c Cabin Car, along with era appropriate paint schemes and an interesting description of the PRR's Trainphone System and how it works.

My Fathers Day was quiet, I heard from both sons, and grand daughter, and grilled a steak to share with my wife. We also had grilled potatoes, and a garden salad, complete with lettuce, and radish from the garden, along with Grape tomatoes (Imported from Canada). This was topped off with a slice of four layer chocolate cake with vanilla frosting.

Have an early wake-up in the morning, have to meet the furnace repair technician at the MIL's house. Our window is 0800 - 1200. Once that is done we can return home.

Ken: That's probably the best solution for the building.

Eric: Hopefully, your dentist will extract the offending teeth tomorrow. Good luck.

David: Happy to hear you are feeling better.

Sherrel: Watch out for that heat, supposed to reach 88 here tomorrow, more inland...and I gotta go to "Pottsylvania".

Willie: Hope y'all enjoyed the Barbecue.

Orioles won, Nationals, Mets, Phillies and Yankees lost. I'm already missing Hockey, and I have to wait until October...

Sherrel: That is one fantastic rebuild on the Frisco USRA 2-8-2. Reminds me, there used to be a Frisco Steam locomotive in the middle of the main street in Pensacola FL. At night the headlight was illuminated. Wonder if it's still there?

Evening fellers. Nothing new in the layout world. Did to some tinkering with my Bronco today that put me into a cussing rage today. Broke manifold bolts off in the head today that just vexes the crap out of me. If I could get my hands in the previous owner who thought it would be a good idea not to install manifold gaskets. Well that's my gripe for the evening. I hope everyone has had a better one.

Justin

Good evening ... It's 5 pm and its 105 at the local weather station.
The temp indicator on my back patio is in the shade and it says 110.
Either one means HOT!

Have a good evening all ...

Correction: STINKIN' HOT. Hope the hummmidity's not up there with it! When I was working on houses up in one of the central Queensland mining towns one summer, living in a trailer park with no A/C, it would get up to that in the middle of the day/afternoon, and still be 88+ at midnight. Being up on the central plateau, at least the steam wasn't as bad as it would have been at the coast. I remember we came down for a day to Rockhampton for shopping. Coming down from the high country you could feel the wetness enveloping you like a hot face towel.

Good afternoon Spike Drivers & Ballast Tampers,

Clear 92.7 °F - Feels Like 90 °F
Wind from West
Pressure 29.93 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 90 °F
Dew Point 51 °F
Humidity 24%
Rainfall 0.00 in

Hope you guys all have a good fathers day.

Last night quite late till early this morning I worked get the new back block/passing siding wired which requires cleaning the outside of both rails and checking the back rail with a hand held mirror to ensure the weathering on the Rail Craft rail was removed by scrubbing it with a scratch brush with the somewhat rounded over bristles extended just slightly. Then I tinned both outside surfaces and bent the twisted and pretinned ends of the long leads which I cut to a short length and then bent that Right angle bend at a slight bend to lay against the center tinned area of the rail and soldered them in place and tried to move them up and down to ensure a good solder joint. Next was to attach the tinned ends which I bent into a loop to put the screw from the Atlas Controller through and tighten it down,to deliver power to the rail. I think Atlas has tried to cut costs by making these little screws absolute no longer than necessary as the 18 gauge stranded wire I'm using is too thick to allow the screws to tighten down properly with our squeezing the loop between the flat jaws of the pliers to compress it.

I also just had an odd experience in that I was testing out the new track section as well as the rail leading into it and my OT Climax loco [Lilly] was running nice and slow and all of a sudden stopped and I couldn't get it going No matter what I did. I turned the transformer off as I checked the little sending and receiving unit for my Radio hand throttle and it was a fairly warm to touch and waited awhile and checked the loco's motor and frame and frame over. After a while I tried it again and it ran for a short bit and quit again. I think it may be the power transister in the transformer? I've had problems with that in the past and made a quick connect to unplug the old one and plug in the new one. So it just a matter of taking the Troller apart and replacing the PT.

Garry: I'm sure your glad to be back home after all your dealings handling your Mom's estate. Thanks too for posting the videos. I haven't tried to watch them yet but the one of the San Francisco Loco that was snow bound reminded me that I got to know a George Huston who lived at the same mobile park I did and in our talking I mentioned I was interested in model trains and he said he used to drive truck 1952 and was also going over Donner Pass at that time and pulled in at a Cafe at/near Yuba Pass where the train was trapped. He said the cafe was only a quarter of a mile from the train but that it was snowing so hard they couldn't hear the Whistle or Horns.

Sherrel: Thanks for the Get well wishes. I'm back in action today, as my Oriental lady friend said after her bout with a short cold/flu in the recent past.

Ken: I know darn well what the heck your were thinking, things can sure get frustrating sometimes with this hobby.
As far as holding the tubes in place yet allowing them to flex a bit, why not try using some Hob-E-Tak from Woodland Scenics? Apply to the tubes or their connecting part and let it dry till clear and then attach the tubes which should have a bit of flex to them due to the Hob-E-Tak so as to not totally knock them out of position if moved or at least they can be repositioned with fine tipped tweasers.

Sherrel: That is one fantastic rebuild on the Frisco USRA 2-8-2. Reminds me, there used to be a Frisco Steam locomotive in the middle of the main street in Pensacola FL. At night the headlight was illuminated. Wonder if it's still there?

LOL, Joe ... There is quite a bit of info on the website of the Pensacola loco including, I think, some Christmas lights decorating it.
I think that the major complaint is that the drivers were painted red with white rims. (horrows)
Anyway, glad that you were able to enjoy the photos - Don is quite the craftsman.

A little jewel that I came across today.
Curt, Joe ... do i have your attention?

Photo courtsy of Wayne Lalevee.
Fairbanks Moorse CF16A-4 C-Liner, class FF16, diesel electric locomotive # 9453, is seen at the railroad's facility in East Altoona, Pennsylvania, September 16, 1955. This locomotive is leading a three unit set of locomotives capable of developing a total of 4,800 HP. These locomotives were designed for and assigned to freight train service. Notice the induction style radio - phone antena's mounted on the locomotive roof. Photo by John Dziobko Jr.
6813359400_e4244169c7_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DAVID Good to see you are "back in action". Model railroading is sometimes the best medicine.

SHERREL- Now 110Fis mighty hot, thank heaven for a/c! Last year it got to 104 here and we just about fried. It can get pretty hot here in the Fraser Valley.

Hope everybody had a nice Father's Day.

Mel

Evening fellers. Nothing new in the layout world. Did to some tinkering with my Bronco today that put me into a cussing rage today. Broke manifold bolts off in the head today that just vexes the crap out of me. If I could get my hands in the previous owner who thought it would be a good idea not to install manifold gaskets. Well that's my gripe for the evening. I hope everyone has had a better one.

Justin
Justin, a lot of those came without exhaust manifold gaskets from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back