Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

NFG, I just had a thought about your shark. If you have an NCE system, it's possible the decoder or address is caught in a phantom consist. Put it on the programming track, and change cv19 to 0. Then see if it will run.
If not, it might have somehow gotten its address changed. Put it on the programming track, and change the address to what it is supposed to be.
It will hurt nothing, and may help.

Excellent, thanks, yes, I have NCE. I want to try all options, the least invasive ones first and 'surgery' only if there is no other way. 'Calling out' to address three was one of the things I tried when it first happened but no dice on the layout, I'll try it on the program track.

Good morning fellow ferroequineologists! :cool:

Off to clean SWMBO'S office building, then a road trip to southern PA in search of decals.
Catch y'all on the flipside, I'm northbound & down. OOOPS, gotta stop for some go-go juice first!!

Good morning fellow ferroequineologists! :cool:

Off to clean SWMBO'S office building, then a road trip to southern PA in search of decals.
Catch y'all on the flipside, I'm northbound & down. OOOPS, gotta stop for some go-go juice first!!

By 'Southern PA' I assume you mean Main Line in Blue Ridge Summit? I was up there last week and picked up 'West of Cumberland' about the B&O. Today looks like a good day for a drive in the country, enjoy the trip.

Good morning ! It's 58* going up to 65* with scattered rain.

Has anyone else gotten ScaleTrains 'E' mails? Models look decent to my eyes. Altho I don't need more trains, there are a dozen they show I'd like to have.

Phil

Ok so assuming this is the new run for the Bachmann GP40. It's an improvement over their earlier models I think.
uploadfromtaptalk1451749592275.jpg

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Phil -
Has anyone else gotten ScaleTrains 'E' mails?

I've been on their mailing list for about 2 months and I like what I am seeing very much. I have no use for the UP turbine, but the Evans boxcars and Trinity tankers really pique my interest. My problem is that I have about 800 freight cars already and I don't have room for more. Sigh! Where were they 10 years ago when I really could have used them? Yet, I will probably buy a few dozen anyway. Their videos are interesting as well. I haven't seen the third one that came out last week yet, probably will look at it today.
Willie

Good morning, 22 and sunny! Sun two days in a row, can hardly believe it!

Happy New Year all, I went to bed at 10 but the wife stayed up till midnight and watched the tele.

Ran some trains and "shop-vac'd" a bunch of crickets in the train shed. They seem to be eating some of my Hydrocal scenery.
OK, off to the train shed for my morning fix. See ya later.
Willie

Interesting, crickets? I guess they have tough teeth or something.

I did some work on my layout, still waiting for backdrop but poured some envirotex water and also working on trees, installed some bought ones and making some more white pines as well, I have 10 new old growth white pines to add.

Photos coming Monday. I go in for the colonscopy Friday so have thurs and fri off sick leave, hope the backdrop is here by then so I can get it installed during this break.

Have a great weekend all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you fellers interested in the Scale Trains see the recent video where the VP of Product Development (I believe that was his title) went to the museum in IL and took those boat load of pics for super detailing on that Big Blow unit they have?

Leave it to UP to come up with the idea of putting a turbine in a train.
Probably only a matter of time until one of their "dreamer engineers" comes up with a plan to put a nuclear reactor in one so it never has to stop for gas. After all, that's how they power all of our deep space probes going back as far as the Voyager series and both of them are still going.
E.

Did you fellers interested in the Scale Trains see the recent video where the VP of Product Development (I believe that was his title) went to the museum in IL and took those boat load of pics for super detailing on that Big Blow unit they have?

Probably only a matter of time until one of their "dreamer engineers" comes up with a plan to put a nuclear reactor in one so it never has to stop for gas. After all, that's how they power all of our deep space probes going back as far as the Voyager series and both of them are still going.
E.
The Turbotrains and Turboliners all had jet engines, as well. Many naval vessels also have jet engines. One is a Ro-Ro ship we got from Russia. I found it tough to decipher Cyrillic, and learned the hard way not to engage the control with the propeller icon, it was a bow thruster, not propulsion...

Just placed an order at modeltrainstuff.com for a Model Power 0-4-0, an 0-4-0T, and a fistful of Kadee couplers for my C424 and RS3, total came to $35.00 without S&H (around $47.00 with).
Good deal or bad deal?

E.

Yeah! And don't forget the VGER that showed up on "Star Trek". Apparently they still have a while to go!

Good morning this Jan. 2nd, 2016, to all you Rail Setters & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo and Francine, Well, this is starting your second year managing, 'Jeffreys' Dinner & Coffee Shop', congrats
on doing a great job, his dad and sister Lial.

According to the temp on the back porch it's about 42 °F which is plenty cold for me. I got a small fire going
but that only heats the central portion of the house.

Partly Cloudy
52.5 °F
Feels Like 52.5 °F
N
Wind from West

Today is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 52 | Low 39 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 52.7 | Low 28.2 °F
Precip. 0 in
Pressure 30.09 in
Visibility 5.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Dew Point 31 °F
Humidity 44%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available.

I did a bit more testing last night of the curved switch on the upper section at the beginning of ?, siding/s, which I had just spiked down. I found the inner radius was a slight bit tight when I checked it with the NMRA track gauge so I used a fine jewelers file in a 'v' shape and passed it over the edges of the frog and points as well as the inside Stock Rail and then the little 0-4-0T Teakettle ran through there fine pulling and pushing a few cars. Now to test it out with my old time Climax which should be fine also.

Then I can start making a few more straight switches that I need in a few place.

Say Karl: By saying, 'fellow ferroequineologists', it sounds like your referring to an, 'Iron Horse Enthusiast'? I'd say we all fall into that category!

Say Phil: I'll have to take a look at Scale trains, I get Model Railroad Hobbyist and forget to look at it most of the time. LoL

Say Willie: Wow 800 cars, are they all on your layout at one time?

Say David: I'd imagine you'd know if you had any pulling or discomfort when passing a stool. Probably everything will be fine. I had to laugh about what a Dr. said about Pelosis's statement of having to pass the health care bill to know what's in it! He said, 'That was the perfect definition of a stool sample!' LoL ROTF

I hope everyone has a good day and week end.

Well I did the unthinkable today. I broke down and bought some cork roadbed. The mainline is getting elevated. I have debated it so much. I'm sure the lessons learned from my previous layout will show through and I'll get this done without any hiccups. At least I hope.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Evening All,

Been feeling kind of blah all day probably because I slept really bad last night. This coming Thursday I am going to Prototype Rails in Cocoa for the entire event. I always come away with great ideas for the layout from it.

BigE- I understand about sore. I was like that when we were getting our daughter's old house ready for sale.

bsmart- Welcome.

NG- Good luck with the Shark. Hope it is an easy fix.

Karl- Be safe in your travels.

Did some thinking on the wharf project. I think the first thing I need to do is tie all 3 tracks to the main instead of just 1 like now (right side photo). Then I plan on putting a large building against the mountain and then put the one end of a 2 track wharf against that and run the other end to the fascia (about 30") running over top of the 2 main tracks. This will have the end floating like a lot of highway bridges I have seen.

20160102_113716_zpslffzjyi6.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

WAIT, STOP! Hey You .. Yes, you CURT! Did a coconut fall on your head? Did you slip and fall?
My stars, man, you just finished a bridge and a re-alinement of a couple of curves ... Now you want to tear out that mine?
I think you got too much sun during that heat wave a couple weeks ago!
I have some liquid refreshment that will help you.

Say Curt, You have some very nice looking scenes on your layout alright. I'm not sure I quite understand the wharf scene your talking about? If it was something off one edge I think it might be more logical and less intrusive unless I miss understood what you were describing. I've also thought about adding a Wharf area to my layout to but I still have more than enough to do just to get the mainline and some sidings in as is. But imagination is inspiration an what makes railroading stay alive.

Do you operate on any kind of a Pick-up & Delivery type of scenario? I think I'm just going to do something rather loosely to allow some freight switching and passenger service. Oh, Hobo ride free on my C&S West SL.

Thanks for posting.

Good Morning All. It's 32 degrees and clear here today in beautiful North Central Texas. It's supposed to get back up into the mid-50's again today, 60's by Thursday.
Eric - Those shots of the Scale Trains guy on the Big Blow turbine were interesting. As a former plant and production manager, those factory views in parts 2 & 3 were interesting to me as well. You must have had a day off yesterday since you posted around noon. Good to have a rest I hope.
David - Yes I have 800+ rail cars. No they don't all fit right now, but I am only 60% complete on my benchwork and track. I have one staging yard that holds 200+ cars, and eventually there will be 2 more staging areas, although not as large...probably 140 cars each. So far I have 33 industries on my lower level and 17 more on the upper level. I have rough plans for 20+ more. Many of these take a lot of cars. Several grain elevators have 10-16 car capacities with room to spare. The planned ethanol facility will have a capacity of 12 tankers and a few grain hoppers. When I'm bored with switching, I have some run-through unit container trains (3 each w/18-21 wells), an autorack unit train and several grain unit trains. Over 220 of the cars are grain hoppers. Since I sorta model "flatlands", grain was a big thing. I have 5 completed grain elevators with three more on the shelf.
Karl - My resolution is the same as the last two years, get more scenery done. Although I have some done, it is scattered about. From backdrop to fascia, I have only about 6 feet out of 180 ft of current layout completed. Lot's of patches here and there, probably 15% overall!

Well maybe I'll head for the train shed now and do some scenery!!!
Willie

Last edited by a moderator:

Back