Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

bo87a (1).jpg

350px-National_Limited_(B&O).jpg

8407373090_5a08b7b6a2_b.jpg

Classy colours indeed Chet, almost as classy as Milwaukee Road's.... ;):D

Good afternoon, everyone !

Chet .... Your farm scene looks great ...

LASM .... Your trees are looking really good. Adding the moss coloring to the bark is a great idea.

Joe ... Actually, most of my DCC engines are non-sound. I have some model train friends who have all their trains with sound. One is a retired locomotive engineer, and he is picky about how they sound. ... Good idea not to disturb the better half trying to sleep! LOL. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work with the riverfront industrial branch.

After many years of running trains without sound I find that I can really do without it. I only have three with sound and usually only run them as a novelty when I have visitors. I wish I had a way to turn the sound off. The heavy mike I picked up from Terry is a really nice performing locomotive, but for me after a few laps around the main line, I find the sound can really get annoying. Maybe I'm just an old fart. Old.gif For me performance is much more important.

After many years of running trains without sound I find that I can really do without it. I only have three with sound and usually only run them as a novelty when I have visitors. I wish I had a way to turn the sound off. The heavy mike I picked up from Terry is a really nice performing locomotive, but for me after a few laps around the main line, I find the sound can really get annoying. Maybe I'm just an old fart. View attachment 55043 For me performance is much more important.

Chet - I am no expert in DCC, but have you tried the F8 key on your throttle to turn off the sound? It works on my PowerCab.

Chet and Milw 113: I agree on the B&O color scheme. Growing up, when I had a choice of watching B&O tri-color pulled by matching tri-color dieselsor PRR Red pulled by Black (actually DGLE) GG1s, I always chose B&O. When my Capitol Limited is complete, (After the diesels the Pulman Dome and Observation car are still coming), I will post photos of the test run.

Have to rethink my main line, not enough room (16') to do exactly what I want on the back wall. That's what is so nice about trying out the idea with sectional track first, before committing to a permanent layout.

Chet - I am no expert in DCC, but have you tried the F8 key on your throttle to turn off the sound? It works on my PowerCab.

The only F8 key I have is on my computer keyboard. I only operate DC. No DCC throttles available to me where I live.

Afternoon All,

Spent a couple of hours filling out loco cards and car cards. I made it through the 100 car card pack before running out. I have about 40 more coal hoppers to do. I'm glad I already have them on order. They should be in by the time I get back from Cocoa on Sunday. Speaking of which I went on line and printed off the schedule of seminars and figured out what I will attend.:)

Chet- Very nice pics. I have been happy with the things I have ordered from China. I am not sure how they are so quick compared to something coming from Europe. I doubt you remember, but this last summer a package from China actually took less time then one from Texas.

LASM- Great looking trees. That is something that I have never been very good all.

Milw113- I do like the B&O paint scheme..almost as much as the PRR!

I hope everyone has a good night.

I guess we weren't working today. I did call and leave a message. Hope he's okay.

I wouldn't worry too much about the orders from China. Remember earlier in the spring when I was shopping for street lights to use as yard lights. I found just what I wanted but had 2 problems with them: 1) they were coming from China and 2) listed on eBay.
Chet [I think] assured me the folks were legit and it wouldn't be a problem. It was only about $12 so I figured it was worth the chance. They showed up early. Turns out this seller is a big seller of all kinds of stuff. Then someone turned me on to some trees coming from China. Turns out being the exact same seller!!! I started recognizing the origin and went back through some of my electronics orders - SAME FOLKS!!!
Now I don't hesitate to buy anything from them. The list probably a couple hundred items. I won't have any use for palm on my layout but should I ever feel the need, they have them in O, HO and N scales.
E

After many years of running trains without sound I find that I can really do without it. I only have three with sound and usually only run them as a novelty when I have visitors. I wish I had a way to turn the sound off. The heavy mike I picked up from Terry is a really nice performing locomotive, but for me after a few laps around the main line, I find the sound can really get annoying. Maybe I'm just an old fart. View attachment 55043 For me performance is much more important.

Chet, pop the shell off the tender, and unplug the speaker. Problem solved.

Good evening. It's very windy, and 29.

SOMEthing is coming from China... Probably a picture of the item I ordered. Paypal still can't explain why I paid money to somebody, but somebody else in a different country got my money.

Good evening. It's very windy, and 29.

SOMEthing is coming from China... Probably a picture of the item I ordered. Paypal still can't explain why I paid money to somebody, but somebody else in a different country got my money.

Maybe they're sending you a picture of their stocks, hoping you'll take pity on them. (or offering them in exchange)

Good afternoon, almost early evening,

Somewhat cold and a light rain. ev 1677 ft 37.21 °N, 119.72 °W | Updated 7 min ago
Overcast
Overcast
48.7 °F
Feels Like 46 °F
Wind from ESE 5.8

Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today.
Today
High 59 | Low 46 °F
90% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 59.9 | Low 39.9 °F
Precip. 0 in
Pressure 29.80 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Overcast 8000 ft
Windchill 46 °F
Dew Point 40 °F
Humidity 73%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available.

Chet and Milw 113: I agree on the B&O color scheme. Growing up, when I had a choice of watching B&O tri-color pulled by matching tri-color dieselsor PRR Red pulled by Black (actually DGLE) GG1s, I always chose B&O. When my Capitol Limited is complete, (After the diesels the Pulman Dome and Observation car are still coming), I will post photos of the test run.

Have to rethink my main line, not enough room (16') to do exactly what I want on the back wall. That's what is so nice about trying out the idea with sectional track first, before committing to a permanent layout.

Joe: That's why I always try to impress upon someone building a layout, not to be too quick to try and get things glued in place till they're sure they are happy with the running/operation characteristics of everything.

I'm very much the same, sound is a novelty but I'm not sure I would want it on continuously although it does add realism.
I do enjoy learning to use the, 'Railroad Companion', cell phone App, that allows me to blow the whistle to signal train movements as needed as that adds a lot of realism to me.

CMMR: Chet may not have that ability on his hand throttle.

Good Morning It is a clear and cold 25 degrees here in the Middletown Valley. I know this is 'normal' for this time of year but the very warm December sure didn't prepare us for it.

I've never believed in resolutions but my plans for the first part of the year is to get the first module of my railroad built. My better half is insisting that I get my office/library area cleaned up first so that is the project for this week.

BSmart: If I didn't welcome you to the forum before, let me do it now.

]Good morning guys, 20 and heading for 30. Feels like spring, another week of mild weather forcast for this part of the state.

I build several white pines for the layout while waiting for the backdrop to arrive, worked on the technique for the lichen covering on the bark, took some photos and matched the color using "granite gray" and dabbing spots on the trunk:

Newly built trees added with new bark/lichen technique:

View attachment 55028

"prototype", this group of trees is considered "second growth" trees and not old growth, they came in after the fire of 1918:

View attachment 55029
Say David: Great looking scenes.

It's 24° and clear with a 3 MPH breeze. So far this has been a very mild winter, over all, and I like it! Colder temps are in the forecast for a few days but nothing drastic. Last Monday's ice storm resulted in 194000 homes with out power. The last outage was restored Friday morning. Now the people near here are dealing with near record floods. Havana is predicted to crest at just under the record and Beardstown is predicted to crest a few days later with a possible record high crest. And it's all headed towards St.Louis, where the last thing they need is more water.

Looks like it's getting close to closing time. Good night, America!

David: Without getting into the engineering aspect, each switch (or turnout if you prefer), has a degree of curvature for the diverging route. That's true regardless of frog size, and it applies on model railroads and real railroads. In the model railroad setting, if you use a pure #4 switch, the diverting curvature is sharp, and you are restricted to short cars and engines. Atlas' #4 is really a 4.5, designed to match their 22" radius sectional curve. Higher frog numbers, have wider divergent curve equivalents. I'm really trying to determine the diverging curve of a # 5 switch, because a modern auto assembly plant was served by high cube box cars and multi-levels that were generally 80+' long. There is not enough room on the layout for a#6 switch in that location.

If you look at the photos of the real Ford plant, in my post, (WW2 era), the curves are very sharp, (the real sized railroad equivalent of 15" radius). One of the reasons the plat closed in 1959, was that Robert McNamara did not want to spend the Capital to modernize the plant infrastructure, even though the plant had access to seagoing, motor and rail transportation, something landlocked plant sites (like Mahwah, and Edison NJ) did not have.

Say Joe: I assume your referring to the tighter radius of a #5 straight switch? According to the template I printed out for a #5 switch it says the Diverging Route Radius is [26"]. I'm build my turnouts using printed Fast-Tracks template only and my straight switches will be #5.

Curved switches should save you a fair amount lot of space. I'm again using printed FT Templates for #6 curved turnouts. Now here is an interesting difference in Radius of two HO #6 switches. One says the, Outside Radius is 24" and the Inside Radius is 18". The HO #6 templates I've been working with are 30" Outside Radius, 21" Inside Radius.

I've found that a curved switch will allow you to fit in more as you can place it in the curve before it straightens out saving a fair amount of room. It's the only way I've been able to fit in all that I've done so far.

Hope this was the info your looking for?

Back