Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Very tough day!!!
I took a nap almost right away after getting home around 1800. Didn't wake up until about 2330. Got some supper and laid back down around 2230 and went right back asleep. At 0002 I awoke to some serious gun fire. Sounded like it was in my backyard just outside the bedroom window. Don't know what it was, but dam sure was a large caliber and was VERY close by.
I didn't even finish an entire beer the whole night!!
E

I feel you on this one E. I got home at 1830, ate dinner, laid down for a quick nap and didn't wake up til 0330, took a whiz and went back to sleep til 0730! SWMBO said she stayed up til 2030, then she retired for the night. The neighborhood rednecks must have set off fireworks last night, but we slept right through it. Those new windows on the house really muffle the outside noise well!!

When I showed the layout to my Dads old buddy I thought he was pullin my leg about having joined the NMRA so you can imagine my shock when I look and see he is doing some kind of demo at the next local meeting! I will for sure be there to see what he's going to do and see what 'my people' around here look like! I'm not too keen on 'joining' anything but I may give this a go. The Golden Spike is interesting and some of the 'certificates' have an appeal. Something to inspire me to aspire to a more lofty goal, or some such nonsense.

If I RILLY want to be bragging on this thing I'm going to do it 'right' and check off all the criteria for a 'master layout' if there IS such a thing! "Train God" status, as I recall from last summer, running 6 or more locos at once, was easy, I need a real challenge!

Curt: You definitely have the skills to build the project.

Karl: definitely going to do some serious layout building, while foregoing large purchases. Also going to thin the herd of surplus product.

The celebratory fireworks were louder this year, and closer. Heard the whoosh of a few rockets close by. Was in bed by 2300, but awakened by the celebrants.
Yesterday was another busy day, so I'm kinda back in Jet lag mode.

As it is the first day of the year I thought I would do an hour or two work on the model railroad. (Start as you mean to go on?) Quite pleased with progress, so must keep up the momentum. ;)

Good morning and Happy New Year to everyone!

Hi Flo & Francine, Happy New Year to you both! Coffee, Hash brown's and a egg if you would.

It was a cold one last night and this morning. My back porch indoor thermometer, that near the ceiling, which should be a bit warmer, read 36 °F which means the outside temp was probably about 26/28 °F?
Lets check WW:
Partly Cloudy
49.8 °F
Feels Like 48 °F
N
Wind from SSW

Today
High -- | Low -- °F
--% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High -- | Low -- °F
Precip. -- in
Pressure 30.20 in
Visibility 6.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Windchill 48 °F
Dew Point 31 °F
Humidity 48%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available.

I wish everyone the best this year and hope our Nation gets turned around!

I brought in the year working on the layout so that made me feel good! I've been wondering if I want to make the upper section, I'm starting to work on, just one passing siding or two? I don't want things to look too jumbled. Guess I just have to see how things develop. Part of the problem is that if I add a third track I'll probably need to extend the edge inward a bit more and there is a freight siding and freight house below the slope and I don't want it to be too shear of a cliff.

Later Hoggoer's

Joe: I sent you a PM.

Curt: I'm sure you have more skills than you give yourself credit for. Did you build the fence by the Coal yard office or how about the railing around the coal dump platform? They both look good, the more we do the better we get at it.

Sherrel: Lets hope this New Year will find you getting started on a layout for yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year everyone. Vacation is drawing to a close. Been off since the 18th and it went really fast! Got lots done though. Finished a project that has been a real stinker. Cleaned up the work area. Gave a bunch of Intermountain Wheelsets the Andy Sperandeo treatment. That really makes a difference! Knocked a few freight cars together, and will finish the vacation working on a structure kit. Getting ready to go to the Amherst show in Springfield in a few weeks. Looking forward to that one!

Happy New Year everyone. Vacation is drawing to a close. Been off since the 18th and it went really fast! Got lots done though. Finished a project that has been a real stinker. Cleaned up the work area. Gave a bunch of Intermountain Wheelsets the Andy Sperandeo treatment. That really makes a difference! Knocked a few freight cars together, and will finish the vacation working on a structure kit. Getting ready to go to the Amherst show in Springfield in a few weeks. Looking forward to that one!

Howdy Alan!
And what pray tell is "the Andy Sperandeo treatment"?
E

Hey Eric!

Andy did a clinic on making rolling stock what he called "layout ready". What he did to freight cars to take them from the box to the layout. One of the steps was to paint the wheelsets. Grimy or weathered black on the outside, rail brown on the axles and insides. I have several wheel painting jigs so I can do 16 33" sets at a time. if you have a lot of stuff with roller bearings instead of friction bearings you could substitute the rail brown on the outside. I do late steam/transition era so roller bearings are pretty rare for me! I also dab a little Micromask on the pointy axle ends. It flicks right off after painting.

Evening fellers. Pretty chilly here given the past week's nice days - well except for the all day rain on Monday and Wednesday.
I hope we're not working tomorrow. My legs still feel like rubber.
Remember, I'm not used to this "work thing". Been several years since I've done any actual "real" work. I'm waaayyyyyy out of shape for actual physical labor.
E.

Happy New Year to all. Fell asleep a few minutes before 9 pm (which is midnight NY time) so I missed the ball coming down. Oh well, just another day gone from my life. Seems as if they are rolling by pretty fast anymore.

Woke up at 2:45 am .. tipped toed down stairs and made some coffee and turned on the news to see if anything was blown up during the night .. family of 5 was killed somewhere near San Bernardino during the early morning hours .. hell of a way to start off the new Year. Rest of family started stirring about 6:30. Momma Bear, #2 daughter, and her two sons (ages 6 months and 2.5 years) had to catch a morning departure to Atlanta and then on to Wilmington where SIL is based at Lejeune and deployed at the moment on his 2nd tour. Momma will stay with her for a couple weeks to help her get settled in her new job and give her a chance to break in day care and such. SIL's parents live near Greer, S CAR, so they ill be able to drop in on her from time to time even though it is about a 6 hour drive.

Decided to swing by HOexplorer's house on the way back from the airport. Jim and I have both had our share of problems this past year, but we are both looking forward to interesting things in the new year. His layout, although only 4x6 feet is simply outstanding. He has placed such great details on it that it seems much larger than it actually is. The man is just simply an artist when it comes to scenery, structures, and adding details.

Curt .. I see nothing to stop you on the wharf build: Your last couple of pics are really nice.
Eric .. take it a little easy until your back up to speed.

Well, I have several more correspondence items to take care of, so .. later, folks.

Good Morning All. Looks like I'm opening up this morning. It's 38 degrees and partly cloudy today in North Central Texas. Predicted to go above 50 for the next few days, and then into the 60's by next Thursday. We'll see. Not a lot happening yesterday or today. Ran some trains and "shop-vac'd" a bunch of crickets in the train shed. They seem to be eating some of my Hydrocal scenery.
Eric - One word - Advil. Tough as it is right now, I'm sure you are pleased to be working for a spell.

OK, off to the train shed for my morning fix. See ya later.
Willie

Good morning. It's clear and 33.

coffee_pot_steaming_hg_wht.gif

Morning all, COLD up here at the mo.

On this next build I'm going to TRY to include a FLAT/LEVEL section of about two feet between every transition from flat to grade and at each end of every curve. To avoid things like this.
WIN_20160102_075618.JPGThat intersection is at the bottom of a 'valley' between two grades, do not do this. It is a bad idea. I only wound up with it because I was just adding more track and adding more track and it worked out that way. Hence my desire to have the flat/level sections in there when PROPERLY planning out a track.

I'm holding off on ripping up the Shark at the moment, hoping to find a 'Doctor' at the NMRA meeting who can give me a 'block of instruction' on this subject.

Attachments

• WIN_20160102_075216.JPG
    WIN_20160102_075216.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 169
Good morning, America! It's 25° and clear with a high of around 30° forecast. Waiting on my order from MB Klien to arrive.:p Used my gift certificate from Christmas on New Year's eve, so today is the first day that they could fill my order. I've got a lot of confidence in them and the USPS has been very good handling all of the many things I've bought in the past. Hopefully, neither one will hire a certain Mr. Murphy to help!

NFG, I just had a thought about your shark. If you have an NCE system, it's possible the decoder or address is caught in a phantom consist. Put it on the programming track, and change cv19 to 0. Then see if it will run.
If not, it might have somehow gotten its address changed. Put it on the programming track, and change the address to what it is supposed to be.
It will hurt nothing, and may help.

Good morning. 35° and sunny. Hope everyone is enjoying the last weekend of the Christmas season.

We are spending today going over more of our MIL's documents. Things are starting to make some sense.

Good morning from Middletown Valley it is 31° and sunny here in Central Maryland. I know I disappeared late last spring (grass never stopped growing this year, I think I spent all summer on the mower). But I'm back now and hope to stay around this time.

Back