Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Morning fellers..... yaaaawwwwnn.
It would suit me fine to not do anything today and just go back to bed.
E.

Good morning all. 17 degrees to start off the day. A lot sure happened last night. A lot of posts coming in on my phone. I usually turn off the confuser in the afternoon.

Eric - Sounds like you could be out of shape.

Bob - Sounds like an uncomfortable situation up there. Glad it seems like you're going to stick with the Burlington colors. I wasn't living in Montana when the BN merger took place and only saw a mix of power when I was able to get home on vacations. I was stuck living in Florida at the time, but it sure did look strange in the mid 70's with such a mix of colors before everything was repainted gerrn. Never really cared for the green and white. My uncle and cousins who originally worked for the N also had the same opinion. Liked the old NP theme so much better.

WJLI26 - Looks like you are about to finally get going on a layout. You seem to be chomping at the bit. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Looking forward to watching the build. I did wee the Walthers ad for track and turnouts. Could save you a lot of $$$.

I guess out place was chosen for a New Years get together this evening. We have a lot of very good friends we socialize with on out bowling league and get together on a regular basis and also attend tournaments with. A great bunch of people. Guess I should do one more pass over the driveway so people will have room to park and not track a bunch of snow in the house. This evening will keep me up past my bed time, After ( PM I like to be in the horizontal position.

Here's my photo for the day, a switcher picking up the IGA reefer at the dairy. I already had a nice Meadow Gold sign on top of the building and Classic Metal Works was nice enough to bring out vehicles decorated for Meadow Gold. Saw them and scarfed right up on them.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Gee.... ya think? I'm ready for a beer already and haven't done squat except get up and drink some coffee.
He just called and is on his way.
Catch you guys later this evening - hopefully a short day.
E.

Good morning, it is 15 and cloudy. We were/are supposed to see the sun yesterday/today but I think our weatherman is simply "wishing" weather.

Chevrolet '48-'52. Is the same styling as GM Holden's first Aussie manufactured car. I first saw one of those Chevs when I was 8 or 9 in NZ at a beach camping ground we went to at this time of year. I was an avid pencil drawer of cars and that one influenced my drawings for several years that followed, the other being the Ford 49'er, single spinner and the '51 twin spinner. Those Chevs were the most common taxis in Auckland too.

TOOT--THANKS for the info.

CHET--Interesting looking boxcar in the photo above, never seen that paint scheme!

more later...

Good morning. 47° with a low sun peeking under the overcast.

Chet: I am chomping at the bit, and putting the cart before the horse. I need to take this step by step, the advantage of uni-track is that you can lay out a plan and quickly see the flaws. Believe it or not, I'm still undecided as to whether this layout will be DC, DCC or both with a toggle switch changeover. Decisions, decisions... BTW, that's another nice view of your layout, this morning.

Karl: There is always the possibility of an early quit...

Bob: Stick with the "Q". The BN scheme was actually worse than the PC scheme.

Have a great and prosperous New year, Y'all!

Good morning guys. Did a walk around the layout and come to find I have yet another turnout with a curved straight section. The rest are straight as an arrow. Oh well at least I can still run my trains on them without any issues.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

If you can run trains and not have any problems I wouldn't worry about it. I have a couple of my hand laid turnouts that aren't perfectly straight, but don't have any derailment problems so I'm not worried about them. It will just add character. Enjoy running your trains.

If you can run trains and not have any problems I wouldn't worry about it. I have a couple of my hand laid turnouts that aren't perfectly straight, but don't have any derailment problems so I'm not worried about them. It will just add character. Enjoy running your trains.
I'm all about character building. :D

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Morning all: It's a chilly 30 here this morning. Haven't checked the low last night.

Talking about New Years ... I usually watch the "ball" drop on TV and then most of the time .. I go to bed.
I did enough partying and drinking back in my younger days.

Willy, Its nice to get the county to help you out with the gravel.

Joe, Glad to hear that the MIL is doing better. Looking forward to the layout build. I second the paint jobs on the BN and PC. I think that was about the time that the airlines started major re-paint.
Most of their "new" styles sucked to say the least .. and they are still screwing up as far as I am concerned.

Went to the Doctor yesterday because my BP has been climbing higher over the past 3-4 months. He examined me and said, "Your BP is high!" .. to which I said, "Why should I pay you to tell me something that I already knew?" Anyways, he doubled my dose of meds so we will see if that works.

Keep on railing folks.

Good morning all. 17 degrees to start off the day. A lot sure happened last night. A lot of posts coming in on my phone. I usually turn off the confuser in the afternoon.

Bob - Sounds like an uncomfortable situation up there. Glad it seems like you're going to stick with the Burlington colors. I wasn't living in Montana when the BN merger took place and only saw a mix of power when I was able to get home on vacations. I was stuck living in Florida at the time, but it sure did look strange in the mid 70's with such a mix of colors before everything was repainted gerrn. Never really cared for the green and white. My uncle and cousins who originally worked for the N also had the same opinion. Liked the old NP theme so much better.

WJLI26 - Looks like you are about to finally get going on a layout. You seem to be chomping at the bit. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Looking forward to watching the build. I did wee the Walthers ad for track and turnouts. Could save you a lot of $$$.

I guess out place was chosen for a New Years get together this evening. We have a lot of very good friends we socialize with on out bowling league and get together on a regular basis and also attend tournaments with. A great bunch of people. Guess I should do one more pass over the driveway so people will have room to park and not track a bunch of snow in the house. This evening will keep me up past my bed time, After ( PM I like to be in the horizontal position.

Here's my photo for the day, a switcher picking up the IGA reefer at the dairy. I already had a nice Meadow Gold sign on top of the building and Classic Metal Works was nice enough to bring out vehicles decorated for Meadow Gold. Saw them and scarfed right up on them.

attachment.php

Eric,
Don't let Chet bother you, round is a shape!!:cool:

I don't want to give the impression that I am considering switching from modeling the Q to modeling the Burlington Northern. Far from it!!!!!! I was, however, tempted to take a "walk on the wild side" and throw a BN car or two in a train and use it as justification to run a GN loco now and then

I have five box cars, two hoppers and one covered hopper in BN colors in a shoe box that started eyeing me rather forlornly the other day. I started to fall under their wicked spell but thanks to all of the good folks here who showed me the error of my thinking, I quickly put the lid back on the box!

They're just like the sirens of old, that tempted the ancient mariners. I finally found a benefit to all the years of working around loud noise..............it's harder to hear them and the lid on the shoe box is sufficient to stifle their alluring song! I guess that the only sure way to deal with them is to sell them.

That will require a strong sense of resolve and a good set of ear plugs while I take a picture of them.:rolleyes:. I'll have to muster the intestinal fortitude to embark on such a dangerous task but I see no other way to deal with it!

Soooooo, in the next few days there will be a bounty put on these beautiful sirens and I'll see if there are any brave individuals on the Forum who dare to risk succumbing to their melodic call.:p

I don't want to give the impression that I am considering switching from modeling the Q to modeling the Burlington Northern. Far from it!!!!!! I was, however, tempted to take a "walk on the wild side" and throw a BN car or two in a train and use it as justification to run a GN loco now and then

I have five box cars, two hoppers and one covered hopper in BN colors in a shoe box that started eyeing me rather forlornly the other day. I started to fall under their wicked spell but thanks to all of the good folks here who showed me the error of my thinking, I quickly put the lid back on the box!

They're just like the sirens of old, that tempted the ancient mariners. I finally found a benefit to all the years of working around loud noise..............it's harder to hear them and the lid on the shoe box is sufficient to stifle their alluring song! I guess that the only sure way to deal with them is to sell them.

That will require a strong sense of resolve and a good set of ear plugs while I take a picture of them.:rolleyes:. I'll have to muster the intestinal fortitude to embark on such a dangerous task but I see no other way to deal with it!

Soooooo, in the next few days there will be a bounty put on these beautiful sirens and I'll see if there are any brave individuals on the Forum who dare to risk succumbing to their melodic call.:p

If nothing else, that's a good sales pitch, after all "Sex sells". :)

Bob... On my layout I set my own rules. I have my fictional division of the Burlington Route. which I call the Heartland Division . Both GN and NP have running rights . That is why I have GN and NP locomotives. Also there are interchange trains from ATSF, UP, and C&NW . Sometimes Santa Fe and UP passenger trains detour onto my layout too. All of this is great fun to me. ... Most trains are CB&Q however.

May the NEW YEAR bring HEALTH and Joy to one and all.

Be safe on your journeys.

Phil

By Tootnkumin;

If nothing else, that's a good sales pitch, after all "Sex sells". :)

You don't think I laid it on a little thick or got too dramatic, do you?:D

Thanks for the info, Garry. I think that I'll probably end up doing something similar since I think that is a very good way to allow things to occur that really had little chance in real life in my area. I just need to get used to being the Grand Exalted Supreme Leader of my own little alternate universe!

By Tootnkumin;

You don't think I laid it on a little thick or got too dramatic, do you?:D

Nooo! not in the least, certainly not like some of those internet sales pitches that go on and on and on, punctuated with frequent "Buy Now" buttons. (wife seems to love them)

I'm in a "conversation" with an ebay seller who's offering an early Genesis (yellow & blue, box) SD45-2. Claims it has a Tsunami decoder in it. I queried whether it had or whether it was what they were produced with i.e. MRC. His replies have been "A" that he has an NCE system and it won't run by that, and then "B" it can't be consisted with others in advanced, only with 'old style' via NCE. True or False?

Evening All,

Did some odds and ends around the house today then just goofed off. Not doing anything tonight and haven't for years. Tomorrow the family is heading over to Mom's house for supper and the official family end to the holidays. Yesterday I ordered another wooden card box and 2 different pads of forms for the Bellevue Sub Ops.

Watched the Twilight Zone episode Willobough (sp). I had forgotten about the end with the hearse.

Chet- Nice picture. I really like the old style police car.

Sherrel- Good luck with your BP.

Bob- Great posting which highlights an issue most modelers have.

Here is my H10s waiting for a proceed signal.

20151230_130000_zpsvbsherq2.jpg

I hope everyone has a good and safe evening.

Back