Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

My favorite CSX scheme. If I ever modeled CSX this would be the paint scheme I'd run. Not to mention that I would use the 8-40C for motive power as well. Or in my case the 8-40B.
CSX_Grey_Ghost_C40-8's.jpg
CSX_YN1_Dash_8.jpg

Here is a gift I received from my friend , Reggie, the train nut from Illinois. He was one of the people who went with me to the Casey Jones Museum . The locomotive is a new model by Atlas Master Line . It has ESU sound and is lettered for Paducah and Louisville ( Salute to Veterans) . Very nice and much appreciated. It has a package of details I have not yet applied .
View attachment 29876
When I saw this, I thought "I wonder if they've done one in MRL" I've been hoping someone would as they only have the one GP40-2, #500, a fairly recent aquistion that went through an extensive rebuild. So...off I go for a look. Yes, yes... they have, but....but,, only in N scale, so far as I can see. But they have done some in HO with ESU, so here's hoping.

What's stupid about it?
If you are referring to the players taking a knee; I think it's stupid in that it is counter productive. Although I support their right to do it. Most of white bread America is not opening their minds to think "why they are doing it", they are only offended by it. Therefore I think it's counter productive, stupid. It's preaching to the choir. Taking a knee is a lazy way out, it's to easy and too offensive. They should speak out on their own time.

When I go to work I know who is paying me, I always give my very best effort. I won't use that time to do anything other than work, not even a personal phone call. Call my cell phone when I'm working, you won't get an answer. Unless one of my children or grandchildren have an emergency. They know to only call me if it is an emergency. If don't like my job, I'll give my 2 weeks notice, but bet your bottom dollar I do my best in those last 2 weeks.

We should all honor the flag and the men and women who stand ready to defend it. To me the flag represents the police, firemen, the justice system and all civil servants, all of us! Of course there are some bad ones, nothing human can ever be perfect.

I chose not to work for the government. On any level local, state or federal, in any capacity. I did that out of simple greed. I knew I could do much better on my own. I think it's important to honor those who made sacrifices for the good of us all.

In America we have freedom of speech, the right to peacefully protest, we have the right to use the courts to bring about change. We have many ways to peacefully protest. I only wish we could be smart about it.

I think of it in terms of playing chess; the queen can take any pawn, but at what cost?

Our America is far from perfect, but it's the best the human race has come up with so far. Truth, honor, equality and justice, that's the American way.

We live in the "Age of Stupidity" on "many sides" ;) . America will survive and even better because of it. This I hope and pray.

Ok enough of that; how you been you old cow poke?

It's 25c (77f) inside tonight, unseasonally warm for the last month of winter, with daytime temps in the high 20's (29c-84f today). It has been the longest string of clear, fine days now for weeks that I can recall in the 28 years we've been here. The state is 40% drought declared with the southern states even worse off. They are trucking in hay from western Australia for the livestock on farms that are just dirt and an El Nino event is predicted for the latter part of the year. Not good.

Happy Friday all,

Had some monster storms roll through late last night and early this morning. It has seemed to knock the temperature down some, but still feels humid. It supposed to get above 80 degrees for most of next week.

Have a great day!

Karl I worry for you, if one stupid person can make you angry, God help you, this is the age of stupidity or if you like "the renaissance of ignorance"

As Arthur from the 'King of Queens" would say "don't let the bastards get you down"

Have a great day my friend!

Here's one for all the pilots on here, been looking for a vid of one of these, the Griffon engined Spitfire Mk19 with 6 blade prop. Watch the takeoff.

Good Morning Gang. 80° and clear. Humid here as well at 72%, that will change as soon as the sun comes up. 97° for the high again today. The delayed grocery/beer trek is this morning, I don't particularly like going on Fridays because it's more crowded.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I finally tackled a long awaited project. I have always intended to add a removable bridge across the entry way on my upper level. Since I had the equipment already out to cut and trim fascia pieces, away I went. It's away from the door and still allows complete door operation along with "people room" when in place; as well as being 54" high, a "stoop-under" that doesn't really need to be removed unless I am bringing large objects in or out. Today or tomorrow I will add roadbed and track, it is set up for a main line and a passing siding and is 62" long. All of the approaches are in place already. It does look like I am facing a 29" radius leading into one end though, not too far off my normal 32" that I have everywhere else on the main; a slight miscalculation on my part. I have screwed it in place temporarily and may actually leave it that way after getting used to it. Then I can avoid the wiring/dead section issues. Over in the paint booth, I dull coated the latest structure and then moved over to the workbench and added window glass.
08-16-18 001.JPG

Front and back porches are next. Those slots below the upper windows are for window boxes.

Jesse - You had requested some pictures of my switching operations to get some ideas. Be aware that many of these areas are incomplete and just consist of structures in a sea of plywood, some have also been posted before. First up is a farm supply warehouse/store that receives feed, grain and fertilizer in palletized sacks on boxcars. The structure itself is a "low-relief" building made from a few DPM modular wall parts, and then highly weathered.
08-16-18 003.JPG

08-16-18 005.JPG

Elsewhere in town is a plastics processor that makes vinyl gutters and also plastic injection molded parts. In the unloading bay in the rear, they receive plastic pellets in covered hoppers that unload by gravity through a grate system under the track. Pellets are then moved by blower to storage bins that can't be seen in these pictures. Finished product can be loaded on boxcars in the same place.
08-16-18 007.JPG

08-16-18 008.JPG

Structure is a Pikestuff kit called "Milton A Co.". I enhanced it with pipework and storage bins on the unseen side. That black strip of metal alongside the track is a Kadee uncoupling magnet that hasn't been installed yet. The switches are a couple of my only remote switches since the structure is in the way of ground throws. Also visible in the last picture is a .020" shim that I install in many of the frogs of my Atlas #6 switches to eliminate "wheel drop". It won't be visible after I paint the track.

Chet - That grass fire buffer is a must around here as well. That's the purpose of the 30' perimeter that I do.
Greg -
I was on salary and on call 24/7 even when on vacation....that sucked.
Ditto that here, but my company knew that I didn't own a cell phone and eventually never even callled me when I wasn't there. They weren't going to pay for a cell phone and I wouldn't answer the land line either. Once when I knew who it was, I had my wife answer and huff and pant and told him (boss) that we were busy and abruptly hung up. Never again even called! While they did call my assistant manager on Saturday several times, they did respect everyone's vacation however.
My soil is black "gumbo" clay and is normally very sloppy when wet, but in this case it was so dry (last measurable rain in April) that everything soaked in well.
Garry - That's really a nice looking loco.
Louis - Great to see that you are still as excitable as ever! LOL

Time to move on. Everybody have a great day. Where the hell is Sherrel? I sincerely hope that he is OK.

Good morning everyone. 67 and nice this morning after a storm blew through last evening. Chance of rain today, too.

We got the place mowed last night after work. My wife mows a few small areas with a self-propelled push mower and I mow the rest of the place on our ZTR. In all it's about an acre and a half. Not long after we finished it started raining.

So, the layout suffered another night of downtime. Tonight it will be painting the master bath ceiling and walls ahead of major work going on in there next week.

Garry - that's a great photo of the engine. I agree with others - will look forward to seeing it with all the details in place.
Willie - as always, really nice photos of your structures along the layout

Have a good day everyone.

In an interesting twist at work, I was given a $150 "combat pay" bonus for having to deal with the errant person. The boss said it was a "thank you" for bringing the guy to heel without it having to be handled in an official manner.

Good morning ...

Jesse, Mike, Toot, Chet, Willie, Johnny and anyone I missed. ... Thanks for commenting on my new locomotive. It will be operated when I have running sessions with various models. It runs great and sounds great right out of the box.

Willie .... I like your house and your industrial buildings.

Chet .... I like the photo of the dinner train on the steel trestle.

Another item at the Casey Jones Museum is the funeral wagon used in his funeral.

30215868738_a4be7d0601_b.jpg

Willie - Thanks for the pictures. It is definitely easier to visualize options that way. I'm ok with the sea of plywood, right now my main concern is figuring out how to lay the dang track. Scenery is very low on my list of needs right now. Lol.

Garry - enjoy the new loco. Great pic of the funeral carriage.

Johnny - good luck with the painting. Remember, all work and no trains makes Johnny a raving psycho that tries to kill his family. Sorry, had to toss out The Shining reference.

Terry - congrats on the bonus. I would say spend it on trains, but it may be better served keeping the PayPal toughs away.

Speaking of strong arms, I hope Sherrel didn't run afoul of the HOA again. I'd hate to hear that they "made an example" out of him. I'm not familiar with how HOAs typically operate, but he is in California and nothing they do out there surprises me anymore. Lol.

I've got to work most of the weekend, so I'm afraid I will have nothing new to report from the train shed until sometime next week, but I am going to try to get the last couple of can types photographed and posted. Maybe if I'm lucky I can find some time to sit down with the laptop and track plan some more. Y'all have a great day. Anyone know what the lunch special is today?

Good morning. 59 degrees to start off he day. Should get into the low 80's this afternoon.

Garry - Like the photo. Quite the museum.

Toot - Liked the video. I an a big fan of war birds and the Spitfire. That was quite the aircraft. I also like the D Day paint job on it.

Justin - Nice photos of the CSX power.

Louis - I am all in with you on the NFL. I haven't watched a game in over 2 years because of their behavior. The NFL has seen a decrease in ticket sales and less viewers. They should have stepped in when this kneeling first started.

Willie - I really like that home. I cheated and got the built up vesrion as I was trying to speed up the construction of the town.

It was busy at the club as usual. yesterday. I had a few people ask what was in the window when I posted the cab ride video, and mentioned that it was a circus scene. It was donated with a lot of other train goodies when a modeler passed away a few years ago. There was really no room to put it into the layout so it was set inside the layout inside the loop in the hidden tracks. Still not enough room for the entire scene.

20180816_135934.jpg
We did have a wreck yesterday also. One of the guys was running two trains and while pulling his ore train into the yard, had his other train rear end the ore train and ended up derailing about a dozen cars. Needless to say, he got a lot of crap over that incident.

Here is a photo of my little train climbing the grade over the east yard and it looks like a wreck was cleaned up looking at the gondola loads.

20180816_145953.jpg

My drone should be in today as well as the NW-2 I got on ebay. I thing there is less of a chance of a crash with the NW-2.

Here's my rail picture for today.

Railroad-Tracks-in-the-Desert-Feb-2012-1.jpg

Later

Back