Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Some more on the CW from Wikipedia and a couple more pics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Western_Railroad
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3338.JPG

Good evening.
I also had a "come to Jesus" conference with the sales expediter (manager???) right after lunch. I took a pair of minions with me, and we informed him that, as hourly employees, we didn't want to be bothered during our unpaid lunch hour. Further, if he asked us to perform our jobs while we were off the clock, we would immediately clock back in, and the company would be charged for the entire hour. We'll see how that ends.

Evening guys. Have some photos I wanna share with y'all. Good ol West by God Virginia rail photos. First one is a limestone loadout. It went idle back in around 2001. Just outside the town of Alderson, WV. Next up is some B&O shots from Parkersburg, WV.

Attachments

• 4885236435_5d45e5ecba_o.jpg
    4885236435_5d45e5ecba_o.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • 89579488_d57cde8878_z.jpg
    89579488_d57cde8878_z.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 151
  • B&O-14.jpg
    B&O-14.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 155
Evening guys. Have some photos I wanna share with y'all. Good ol West by God Virginia rail photos. First one is a limestone loadout. It went idle back in around 2001. Just outside the town of Alderson, WV. Next up is some B&O shots from Parkersburg, WV.
That limestone loadout begs to be modeled.

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 69.

I'm keeping a very close watch on my Paypal account. They said it could take up to 5 business days for the payments to be moved to where I want them, so in the meantime, it looks like that 24 month zero interest account is nearly paid off, while the ones accruing interest are still there, accruing interest...

Good morning everyone. 71 and partly cloudy. Dry today, rain tonight and tomorrow, Saturday looking nice.

Karl - thanks for the tip about steel track. Seems a shame to waste it, but I know I can buy track in good shape at my LHS pretty cheap.

If today is dry, I'll need to mow tonight, so it looks like another evening without working on the layout or running trains. Maybe I can sneak down there just for a few minutes . . . .

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning y'all. 74 with a high of 92 today. Forecaster says today is the last day of sun for almost a week. The next 6 days show rain of at least a 30% chance or higher. Hoping they are wrong about that. Started taking individual pics of all of my rolling stock last night. Posting them in my thread in the rolling stock section. Hoping to get time soon to sit down and start planning and building some new industries. I think I'm going to start with the freight transfer depot. Probably going to go back to my stash of cardboard for building materials. Any recommendations on best paint to use or techniques that will prevent the paint from curling up the thin cardboard?

Terry - good luck with PayPal and your sales expediter. I hope they come to Jesus and do as they should.

Justin and Dave thanks for the pics. Some great shots.

Good Morning All. Clear and 76° in these parts. Ironically, yesterday afternoon less than 24 hours after the final raindrop from 8.5" of rain, the surface of the ground was dry. That's how badly we needed the rain, and most soaked in, there was very little runoff. Of course by then it was well over 90° and too warm for any extended outdoor chores. This morning I will install a new mower deck drive belt on the tractor, i expect to have to start using it again by Saturday after a three or four week hiatus from any major use. Postponing the weekly grocery/beer trek until tomorrow so my wife can continue her certification training with the IRS for another year. She already postponed that because of the rain earlier in the week.
Moving over to modeling, since the ground dried up yesterday, I was able to set the saw horses back up in the yard and cut some more fascia board for the layout and continue that project. I also made more progress on the residential structure on the workbench. In between, I changed out the front couplers on the four ScaleTrains SD40-2's to KD 148's. Since I always intend to double-head those locos with each other, the rear ones will always connect to each other. Their couplers don't always work with my fleet of Kadees and they also don't have trip pins, which I need for a few magnetic uncouplers that I use in more remote locations.

Chet - 700' of garden hose! You do need for Jesse to make a visit! I normally don't bother with yard watering except for about a 30' perimeter around the house. Since I am on a coop water system, I have a water bill and I stick with the perimeter, the pool and the garden.
In recent years I also started to immediately replace plastic couplers, but for the most part I wait for the older ones to fail. I probably equipped 225 cars with McHenry's before realizing their shortcomings after they first came out. It took about five or six years before it hit me, about the same time that I also started reading about others having issues. I'm probably down to 25-30 cars left to convert, but I don't seek them out.
So your wife ordered a drone. Is she getting tired of you occupying her time?:p Mine did rather quickly when I first retired. She suggested that I spend more time in the train shed!:D What kind of drone are you expecting? I had looked them up at Best Buy a few weeks ago and was amazed. Anywhere from under $50 to $3000. Some pretty fancy features out there. GPS enabled, multiple cameras, automatic home base return, follow you around, you name it!
Justin - Nothing wrong with just watching them go. That's what they are there for.
Johnny - I thought the steel track that you were referring to was the Lionel stuff. If it is HO, then it is best discarded.
Jesse - I haven't forgotten you, just forgot the pictures.o_O

Everybody have an awesome day.

Good evening.
I also had a "come to Jesus" conference with the sales expediter (manager???) right after lunch. I took a pair of minions with me, and we informed him that, as hourly employees, we didn't want to be bothered during our unpaid lunch hour. Further, if he asked us to perform our jobs while we were off the clock, we would immediately clock back in, and the company would be charged for the entire hour. We'll see how that ends.
As a manager for most of my 40+ year working career, one cardinal rule of mine was to never ask any hourly employee to work during their lunch break.

Chet - Willie is correct. I could eliminate the hoses altogether. And as I told Sherrel, I'd be willing to work for trains. Or in your case, hot rods. Lol. The boss lady may still require monetary compensation, but I'm sure we could work something out. Lol

Willie - no worries. With the AC out we spend most of our time in the only room that's cool in the evening, so not too much chance of modeling with my boy sitting next to me. He has a bad case of what I like to call "grabby fingers". It acts up really bad when I pull the trains out.

Good morning. 56 degrees this morning ith n expected high in the mid 80's.

Justin - Nice photos. They must give you some inspiration for your layout.

Truckdad - Yours trestle photos are interesting also. Here is one of the many treatles we rode over on the Charlie Russell Choo Chew dinner train operated by the Central Montana RR. They are the old Milwaukee Road tracks.

635570036511324040.jpg

The cars are old Boston & Maine RDC's that were converted.

Terry
- Hope things work out for you with Pay Pal. I have my account connected with my debit card and get things taken care of in a hurry.

Willie
- I am on my own well so watering is no problem. When we first built, we were surrounded by old hay fields and come mid summer, they were nothing but dried grass so I keep the lawn green as a buffer for any possible grass fires. More people have moved onto the lane over the years, but there is still plenty of grass to catch fire. Dragging the hoses give me some exercise. So far as the drone goes, it is supposed to be an excellent one for beginners according to the customer reviews, but also is an all around good drone. I have been watching some videos giving tips for beginners. It is also equipped with a video camera. Caught it on sale. Regular price was a hundred bucks but was reduced to $63. I have plenty of open space to wreck it in. Grin.gif Should be in tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

Time to get my stuff together to take to the club this afternoon so here's my rail picture for today.

light-rail-train-tracks-and-station.jpg

Later

Good Morning everyone.....nice in Wisconsin, but we need rain. Water a few areas this morning and more later.

Going to the train layout later this morning. Want to wire the Atlas interlocking tower that has a LED, but I need to drill a hole in the plywood to run the wiring. Long drill or maybe mark the location and then drill. I drilled through the plastic base and first floor with a new 3/8 inch bit and took it slow to avoid damaging the model. The model is build on a foam base and landscaped. We'll see.

My new replacement Digitrax DB150 arrived on Monday. It's a replacement for by original which has a couple of problems. Now I have three DB150's. Could of upgraded to better unit with more bells and whistles, but the DB150 does everything I need and they will run 22 locomotives, which will never happen. Besides the DB150, being disconditued is lower in price than when original introducted.

Terry: I don't blame you one bit that your lunch period is on your own time. In our office when I worked, the Ad Min gals put of signs that they were on their lunch period. One wouldn't even say hello or utter a word to you while she was eating. Our Security Officers were on a 8 hour day and a paid lunch hour and were expected to respond to any calls while eating, no ifs, ands or butts, but they were being paid during the entire 8 hours.

I was on salary and on call 24/7 even when on vacation....that sucked.

Chet: 700 feet of hose....wow! Makes my 100 feet of hose look like nothing.

What kind of Drone are you getting? I'll be flying again this weekend with a small and medium sized model. Crashed once last Saturday... no damage to the aircraft. I'm licensed with the FAA since I fly at home within 5 miles of a heli-port and plan on flying at a location within 5 miles from an airport. This is for larger Drones that may show up on radar. I have to check in with the airport's Control Tower when flying and give them my location and attitude that plan on flying and the time period.

Have fun running at the club this afternoon.

Willie: My cabin is in Wisconsin's sand country, so I know what you mean when it rains and the next day the ground is dry. We had 7 inches of rain one day and the sand just soaks it up. Being in the pines, fire is always a concern. I keep the fallen pine needles away from the cabin as best I can to create fire break.

That's all for now.

Greg

#####################

Last edited:
Good Afternoon....we need rain, but some parts of Wisconsin are getting a boat load of rain.

Finished locating the Interlocking Tower and wired the interior LED. Nice in my opinion since the lighting showcases the tower as the center of attention. Also, added a LED fixture over a door on King Co. and wired it. Lighting sure makes a difference!

Worked on rigging my second crane and dropped a small part...no where to be found. I'll have to make do.

Three hours and not a lot to show, but its progress.

Greg

As a manager for most of my 40+ year working career, one cardinal rule of mine was to never ask any hourly employee to work during their lunch break.
Yeah- I worked in retail mgmt for 20+ years. Asking an hourly to work off the clock went against many corporate policies & federal wage laws.

Yeah- I worked in retail mgmt for 20+ years. Asking an hourly to work off the clock went against many corporate policies & federal wage laws.

In my rebellious youth, asking me to work on my unpaid time was a great way to earn a big F you and ensure that the rest if my time on the clock was less productive as well.

I can laugh about it now, but my early teenage years were not kind to me. It made my later teens and early 20s a period fueled by a lot of rage and hate. I'm not talking about discriminatory hate or prejudice, I pretty much hated everything and everybody, including myself. Looking back it's hard to believe that someone didn't take me out for being such an ass. Of course with the way I lived my life, I'm also surprised I didn't take myself out.

Here is a gift I received from my friend , Reggie, the train nut from Illinois. He was one of the people who went with me to the Casey Jones Museum . The locomotive is a new model by Atlas Master Line . It has ESU sound and is lettered for Paducah and Louisville ( Salute to Veterans) . Very nice and much appreciated. It has a package of details I have not yet applied .
CD96FD80-51C8-4723-8958-2A8E2A94512F.jpeg

Garry - that's a nice looking engine. Make sure to post pics after you add the details.

Back