Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Afternoon All,

I'm all packed up ready to leave tomorrow. Of course my son has given my a cold so I will most likely pass it on to everyone else.:confused:

Willie- Stay safe.

Garry- Nice museum pictures.

Chet- Nice rail shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt- Have a safe and boring trip!

I just posted a question on the LAYOUT and CONSTRUCTION section asking for suggestions about securing track to cork roadbed.
Please take a look if you have suggestions or opinions.
Thanks,

Willie - I appreciate that. I've been struggling for ideas as what to use. Is there any way you could send me some pictures for reference? I've got a few ideas about how to set up some for rail service, but no clue on others

Willie- no, not every municipality in South Jersey are called townships. The ones in in suburbs & rural areas that encompass a large footprint are, but the smaller ones are called boroughs. My hometown is a borough that was created in the 1920's when a township was disbanded, creating about 6 or 7 different boroughs.

Curt .... Safe travels .... Continued prayers for your SIL ....

Below is a diorama in the museum illustrating the collision that killed Casy Jones.

42221481780_265fbb0436_b.jpg

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 67.

Even after my recent conversation with Paypal, they still applied the payment I made, that was intended to close out the 6 month same as cash purchases, to the 24 month zero interest account.

Good morning y'all. 68 this morning, but headed back into the 90s again today. Tried working out a new track plan for a horseshoe, but couldn't quite get the mainline to spur connection right so I gave up. Going to have another go at it soon.

Curt - bummer about the cold. Hope you enjoy your trip. Continued prayers for your SIL.

Garry - nice photo.

Terry - best of luck with PayPal. I feel your struggles with their new rules is just beginning.

Good morning everyone. 68 and rather cool; rained during the night and raining now. We do need it around here - we're about 3 1/2 inches under average for the year. We get weather patterns similar to Willie's, just a day or so later.

Sick yesterday, so stayed home from work. Sore throat, stuffy nose, no sleep that night - think I got it from my wife, who had the same symptoms a week ago when we were in Texas. Better today, at least enough to come in to work.

Not much to report - train room was deserted again yesterday. Just didn't feel good enough to go down there and do any work.

Garry - nice photos from the museum
Curt - I can rotate my photos on my computer and then save them right-side up. But when I attach the saved file to a post in this forum, it comes out upside-down again. That's the part I can't figure out - especially if I've saved it right-side up?!?!:mad:
Willie, others - thanks for the tips on cleaning rust from track. Rinsing in Coca Cola seems counterproductive, though, since then you'd have to rinse the Coke off with water, which in turn could rust the track again, no?!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Gang. 73° with a few wispy clouds on the horizon. Back porch is dry this morning. No standing water anywhere despite getting 8 1/2 " of rain in the last two days. My pond went from completely empty to overflowing in less than two hours during yesterday morning's downpour. I was able to enjoy the sounds of frogs again last night. I wonder where they go when it dries up? I can hear the sounds of the grass growing already, much of the Bermuda grass has already turned green after Monday's showers. Downside, due to the lack of sun for two days, the pool has cooled down to 77°; it will take a few days to warm back up.
Out in the train shed, I did some more painting on the house that's on the workbench. This is taking longer than expected, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. I started to run a freight from end to end when a McHenry coupler broke. What should have been a simple replacement turned into a major operation. It was on a Walther's flatcar kit that had a coupler box cover with a friction pin attachment, which broke. OK, I've done his many times before; drill out the hole, drill a hole in the cover, add a small screw and presto, it's done. No! Not this time. I accidentally used a drill bit that was too small to begin with and had to enlarge the hole, normally this wouldn't be a problem except doing it again. Got the right sized hole and then the screw split the now much thinner wall of the mounting post. Sometimes this doesn't matter but in this case the coupler was binding and wouldn't operate. Ended up removing the coupler box completely and super-gluing a Kadee one to the steel weight. Needless to say, I left the coupler intact on the other end for now because it still works.

Sure was quiet here in the Coffee Shop yesterday.
Curt - Have a safe trip.
Jesse - I'll post some pictures over the next couple of days.
Terry - Good luck with PayPal.
Johnny - Whatever you use to clean the track, whether it be vinegar or Coca Cola, it needs to be rinsed off or you start a reverse chemical reaction. Shaking off the water or letting it dry outdoors in the breeze should work just fine. The track only rusts when the moisture is persistent. A few minutes while drying will not cause any harm.

Everybody have a great day. For those Catholics out there, today is the Feast of the Assumption.

Good morning . 82* and humid. Air is so thick can hardly breathe. High of 90/92 later with rain. Must be summer.
Wish y'all a good day. Prayers for all.
Phil

Good morning. 54 degrees to start the day with an expected high in the low 80's. It's mow the yard Wednesday. As soon as it warms up a bit, I have to put up around 700 feet of garden hose before I get started.

Curt - Enjoy your trip. Be safe.

Phil - Humidity here is 26%.

Garry - I like the photo of the train wreck. The Museum sounds like a good place to visit.

Willie -
I hate plastic couplers. I replace all of them before any equipment goes on the tracks. This little 45 ton switcher is the only piece of equipmet that still has plastic couplers, but it isn't capable of pulling many cars and spends all of its time in the yard doing switching duties.

IMAG0944.jpg

My wife has ordered my a drone to keep me occupied. My son thought it would be a good idea. I think he is the one who wants to fly it. We'll see what happens. I don't want to pull an Eric and park it in a tree.

Here's my rail picture for today.

tracks.jpg

Later

Well, I had a "come to Jesus" conversation with Paypal just now.
They promised they would do what they should, we'll see.

Good afternoon fellers. No strike as of yet. Good news for me as I can't afford any missed time from work. The humidity is down right outrageous here. So much so I'd rather deal with the heat in the middle East again than this humid heat. Have found time for my trains however. Saturday I'm hoping to get the ball rolling on my scenery. Everything is in place. Now I just have to bring it to life. I have been planning and measuring and down right staring at my layout to figure out how I want it. I guess in the mean time I'll just enjoy watching them go.

Attachments

• IMG_20180808_014707990.jpg
    IMG_20180808_014707990.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 126
Hiya gang!
Been silent the last few days..GF has kept me busy.........plus thunderstorm wiped out our internet at work......now with new hardware and wiring in the building we"re back in bidness.......its amazing how helpless we have become. When I 1st started in this line of w*rk we could carry on with flashlights, candles, shop manuals, and parts catalogs. Power outages we a minor inconvenience. Now a computer glitch causes a million dollar shop to grind to a halt!!
Ain't technology great! c:rolleyes:;)

Terry, gotta admit, I've been calling it "Pain-Pal" for quite some time. Keep us posted.

Johnny, do yourself a favor, ditch that steel track. It will not only rust again, but it will also corrode at the rail joiners, causing higher resistance as time goes on, causing poor operation. Its not worth the AG factor.

Chet watch out with drones. I bought GF's son one for Christmas. In spite of strict admonishment from his mother about indoor flight he did it anyway, trying to spy on us in the living room. She yelled, he jerked, and the drone wound up trimming a huge amount of needles off of the Christmas tree before landing. I laughed hysterically. Guess who got in trouble, yes me. :(

Hey guys, posted some tlnew threads over in the layout abd rolling stock pages. Decided to keep some of my questions in an easy to find spot rather than clog up this feed and then have to remember which shop the posts were in. Looking for layout help as well as identifying stock. Pics will follow as time allows. Thanks.

Coffee shop seems a little dead this afternoon. Flo, a round of your best coffee for everyone. On me. Let's see if we can liven this place up a bit.

I'll toss in a couple pics I took while in Ft. Bragg, CA escaping the heat. Behind the Skunk Train depot there is a building that houses the local MR clubs G scale railroad. It runs indoors and outdoors! Dirty track is no problem as it is all RC. One of the fellows there told me the Skunk Trains loco is a "low hood" GP9, but wasn't sure. I'm sure someone here can identify it. The trestle is now a walking bridge but it was still cool to be right underneath getting a close look and thinking about modeling one.
Dave
IMG_3330.JPG
IMG_3345.JPG

What's the road name on the loco? Can see the Western, but not what it was west of. From that we can get the reporting mark, i.e. NW if it was Norfolk Western (which it is not) and look it up on rrpicturearchives.net>railroad>fallen flags.

What's the road name on the loco? Can see the Western, but not what it was west of. From that we can get the reporting mark, i.e. NW if it was Norfolk Western (which it is not) and look it up on rrpicturearchives.net>railroad>fallen flags.
TOOT Its California Western. Raifan/tourist trap called the skunk train.
Their roster shows a lot more iron than I saw.
https://www.skunktrain.com/
Dave

Back