Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Good morning ....

Louis .... I like the John Wayne clip..... Hollywood has not made a good movie since John Wayne died.

Willie ..... I like the covered hoppers. My friend here has some pink Iowa COOP hoppers on his layout. .. Regarding the Casey Jones Museum, you said you sometimes visit a sister in Crossvile, TN (if I remember right ) . Please consider passing through western KY next time you go there, and you can have a model railroad layout tour..... I don't see any point in wasting time with NFL. I know what they claim they are protesting about. Nonsense. I know retired police officers including some who worked in Chicago who have dealt with hard-to-control criminals. Police officers are basically good people.

Good morning. It didn't cool off as much last night with an early morning temp at 60 degrees, but the high is only supposed to reach the mid 70's today.

Terry - Thanks for the info on the BLI switcher. I would like top get it to run as a second unit in MU with the RS-1. I'll write that info down and see if someone at the club can help me figure it out. I don't have a clue how to even get into the CV settings. It does have excellent low speed manners., but I would like to be able to pair it up with the RS-1 to be abe to pull some longer trains.

Willie - From what I understand, the circus had a lot more items but due to the limited space in that loop, that's all that could be fit in. I don't mind the rant because I totally agree with you. Being ex military and law enforcement, I take it personally to some extent.

I did get a bit of time in flying the drone yesterday evening and didn't have any crashes. I took things slow (and low) to get the feel of how it operated. Moer practicing later today.

Here's my rail picture for today.

29b4ae9f1bfa5e3e949f28c40154c134.jpg

Later

Well, the people are here to uncover and fill in the septic tank. It's a relatively huge underground complex of what looks like two rooms, about 8x16 each, and about 6 feet deep. That would have been a lot of poop...

My rail picture for today. Spotted coming back from an overnight trip with MOH's parental units to the fishing cabin outside of Phillips, WI. A rare Thoroughbred scheme NS on CN's Superior subdivision.
IMG_2012.JPG

Well, the people are here to uncover and fill in the septic tank. It's a relatively huge underground complex of what looks like two rooms, about 8x16 each, and about 6 feet deep. That would have been a lot of poop...
Would that be "The House at Pooh Corners"?

Let's go for 3 in a row!

Good morning Everybody! (I do understand the rules for capitalization, but I think you are all capital people!)

My new pace is allowing me to function at a more consistent rate. As per doctors orders I've been resting more and working less and it seems to be working. My appetite has returned, stabilizing my weight. I also bought a new bed and I am sleeping better. I feel overall much better, thank God! :)

I believe as a whole Police Officers are equal to our military; the finest people in the land, Dedicated, selfless, brave and more. I won't even let my children and grandchildren use the word "cop" I don't like it, I see it as disrespectful. When addressing a Police Officer, we should say Officer, we should use phrases like; yes sir/ma'am , no sir/ma'am and speak when spoken to, anything less is unacceptable to me.

Living in Baltimore I have seen a few bad apples, but as I always say "nothing human is perfect". Given that, I still say the Baltimore City Police are the best! They are overworked, underpaid and put their lives on the line everyday when patrolling the streets Baltimore. I would never do it, but I thank God they do.

With billions of dollars being made in the drug trade only people of the highest character can resist the temptation to turn a blind eye in exchange for much needed cash. It's also difficult to resist the temptation to beat the hell out of someone who is threatening, taunting and being completely disrespectful or is suspected of some heinous crime. The large majority of our Police Officers are people of the highest character and resist these temptations.

I'm not proud of it, but having been associated with drug dealers in my younger days I can say first hand I've seen money change hands. The biggest problem drug dealers have is not violence or the Police. The biggest problem they have is what to do with all the cash! It's not only a very few Police Officers taking cash, it goes all the way up the line.

Ask yourself "why is congress letting drug companies make so many opioids?" I'm certainly no fan of Donald Trump, but at least he is talking about it! Even a broken clock is right twice a day. The blind hatred for Trump is just another example of the "age of stupidity" You can say he has earned much of it by making enemies of the press and being just plain stupid, but the press should rise above it and remain objective. With the exception of the op-ed section, the New York Times and a few others have remained objective. I'm a proud subscriber to the "Grey Lady", "The Standard of the World", "The Newspaper of Record", but I seldom read the op-ed section.

Freddy Grey the criminal who sparked off the riots was a life long drug addict, small time street hood and was the target in 19 separate ongoing investigations. The Baltimore City prosecutor (states attorney for Baltimore City) should have had him behind bars long before the incident took place. Instead she choose to prosecute the brave Police officers that keep us safe. They were charged with several crimes, including man slaughter in the Freddy Grey case. They were found not guilty of all charges, as they should have been. The prosecutor got what she wanted, she was re-elected by the idiots she was placating. She should be in jail, not in office.

The only thing the Police Officers did wrong was not putting the criminal's seat belt on and of course they were sanctioned for that. Even though it was common practice not to use the seat belts in the back of the paddy wagon. The court records show there was no "rough ride" in the paddy wagon. A fellow criminal who was in separate section of the dived van testified that Freddy was intentionally flopping around like a fish. He said he was trying to hurt himself so that he would have to be taken to the hospital before going to jail and to use his injuries as proof of police brutality. He wanted pain medication and a "get out of jail free card", instead he broke his own neck! May God forgive me, but I say "good riddance!"

As for the riots. The Baltimore Sun reported the riot was used as a diversion to rob drug stores. Inventories showed that enough opioids were stolen to keep every person in Baltimore high for more than a week! Mind you this was a small percentage of the pharmacies in Baltimore. Gangs from as far away as New York came to take advantage of the situation. Ask yourself; Why do pharmacies have so much pain medication?

The rapid rise in the murder rate following the riot was a result of freelancers and outsiders selling drugs on Baltimore street corners. Drug dealing gangs will kill anyone trying to take away their business.

We don't have organized crime in Baltimore like most other big cities. We have semi-organized gangs that battle every day for territory to sell drugs. The reason we don't have traditional organized crime is because the semi-organized gangs use intimidation, murder and mayhem to remain independent. Traditional organized crime wants no part of the high profile violence. An example of their insane behavior took place several years ago only 10 blocks from the then mayor's mother's home. An undercover police officer was murdered at noon in the middle of Harford road. Shot dead, point blank with a bullet to the head. The gang was known as the "harvord road killers". (I didn't spell it wrong) Of course there were no witnesses. It's only one of the busiest streets in Baltimore. The Police did manage to catch, prosecute and convict most of the gang. The others in the gang who were not prosecuted became witnesses. I don't know how the Police got through the vow of silence, but I'm glad they did.

The gangs of Baltimore refer to my beloved city as "Bodymore" in reference to all the dead bodies that are found almost daily.

The riots exploded the number of unknown dealers on the street and created a situation where buyers who had previously used known dealers were buying from anyone, looking for a deal. The brilliant Baltimore City Police immediately took advantage of the situation by running sting operations arresting buyers as well as sellers.

I was surprised to learn that more prescription drugs were sold on the streets than heroin and cocain. I was not surprised to learn that the majority of buyers were whites (nearly 75%) from the surrounding suburbs. (Baltimore county, Harford country, Carrol county and Anne Arundel county and others) some as far away as south central Pennsylvania. Many were people of means, able to pay bail and could afford attorneys to limit their jail time or got no jail time at all. The poor sit in jail and await trial and use over worked public defenders.

The drug epidemic is much bigger than most want to admit. I can tell you many self-employed contractors are self-employed because they don't drug test themselves.

I can also tell you; if you are not involved in the drug trade, Baltimore is a relatively safe place, for the most part. Unless the innocent encounter a crazed drug addict who needs a fix. Or a gang member looking to "make his bones". I drive and walk these streets several times a week. My job as an independent contractor for Amazon takes me into every neighborhood. I fel safe where ever I go. I don't carry a gun, but I am not an easy target either. Pulling a gun makes you a target. These criminals seldom work alone. The one in front of you will distract you, the ones you never see will smack you in the back of the head with something and take your gun and likely shot you with you it! I know how to navigate these mean streets. I grew up on them. God help the naïve who get lost and end up in the wrong neighborhood in this and many other big cities.

There is inequality in America, but making the Freddy Greys of the world martyrs is not helping. Neither is kneeling at ball games or denying we have a problem or calling all of one group of people criminals. We need to look at things through objective eyes and open minds. Many will be surprised by what they learn.

Burying our heads in the sand, acting as if everything is ok and pretending everybody has the same opportunities is just plain naïve. I don't blame those who do, most have lived sheltered and or privileged lives and don't know any better. I grew up on the streets of Baltimore, I know better.

"somebody said fair warning, lord strike that poor boy down"

What happened to "Truth, Justice and the American Way", where is Superman?

The previous comments are the opinion of the writer and not necessarily the Model Railroad Forums

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing. :)

A scrub and hose down, you could have rented it out.

Good Morning All. 77° and mostly cloudy, some scattered rain is headed this way. Radar shows a small shower about a mile south of here already. A surprise rainshower came by yesterday while I was grilling some rib eyes. Wasn't in the forecast and never was noted on Intellicast, even after it started. It covered a pretty wide area. Unfortunately I have no roof over the porch. Grilling was successful however, because I already had the charcoal going and I was able to prop open the top enough to shield the meat/fire, yet still keeping it hot enough for proper cooking - medium rare with a light char. I got wet though. Wife wouldn't stand outside and hold the umbrella for me; something about just doing her nails or something. Got some mowing done earlier in the day close to the house so it wouldn't look so ragged.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I began the process of painting the porches and the various detail parts for "Our House". Lots of these came with the kit. The negative side is that they have pre-drilled holes for mounting all of them, so you have no flexibility unless you fill/finish the holes and cut off the tabs on the details. There's rocking chairs, tables, potted plants, mailbox, garden hose, and lots of flowers to individually paint and glue into the pots and hanging basket. No figures with this kit. I will be adding them and additional details to the ones provided. Ended the day by running trains again.

Garry - Thanks for the invite. We will take you up on it next time around. Thanks for the comment on the hoppers. I have over 200 to service my seven (eventually eight) grain elevators. My favorites are the P2K's.
Chet - After spending most of the early afternoon painting flowers/ferns/ flower pots etc., I see the wisdom in buying this structure as a built-up. I am still enjoying the process though, as I really like kits.
Terry - 8' x 16' x 6' twice! That's quite a large septic system, nearly 12,000 gallons. Mine is only 1000 gallons.
Jesse - Another grain elevator. This is the one that I mentioned in the second run. These are older pictures which also show "in process" status. The elevator is an American Model Builders styrene structure, but could be easily built with Evergreen corrugated sheets.
08-16-17 006.JPG

09-12-17 003.JPG
08-23-17 015.JPG

The hopper is a P2K kit. Visible on the other side of the main is part of the flour mill that also got switched that day. The yellow hopper (Accurail kit) is incoming grain in an unloading shed. The gray hopper (don't remember who made it, maybe Atlas) is for spent grain but the feed auger looks like it slipped down. The closest hopper is an airslide hopper (Walther's kit) being loaded with flour. I got the cows from the same herd as Chet, they're trained not to go on the tracks or to jump over the side of their flat earth. If I remember correctly, I documented their fence about a year ago at the same time as I added "Cow Pies".

Louis - Hey, you're in fine form this morning. That's one of the reasons that I have missed you so much. Careful with the politics, you came across well this morning. Good to read that you're following the doctor's orders and easing up a bit. Started with any trains yet?

Everybody have a great day.

Willie, somethings never change and I am one of them :) To be perfectly honest I did change once in my life when I was 22, but I believe that was for the better. Daddy's should not be street rats. I was always good at making money, but I use to be really good at having fun. The problem was the kind of fun I was good at was "conduct unbecoming of a daddy".

I was being careful, as you know I can be much more political than that. Even though the rules of the forum give us wide boundaries I try carefully not to ruffle feathers. Because there is enough politics in the world. I don't want to spoil our sanctuary. My problem is once I get on a roll the topic can take on a life of it's own.

All I really wanted to say is The Baltimore City Police are the Best!

I'm sitting at my work desk in half of my finished/air-conditioned attic. Listening to NPR ( I don't yet have a TV set up to watch the MLB network) I have only a path to my desk in this half. The rest is stacked boxes. I do have about 16'x15' of open and carpeted floor space in the other half awaiting my trains.

Alas my trains remain in their boxes. :( my todo list is too long, my energy too little and too much in demand to work on my trains, yet!

I do have my command and control desk set up in the other half with my Lionel ZW-L transformer, Lionel Legacy 990 (Command and control station and cab), Laptop (for upgrades and track planning), a half a dozen Lionel CW-80 transformers and a pair Of Lionel Power Max transformers. You can never have too much power! Although they are not yet wired up to the track work that does not yet exist or accessories that are not yet unboxed. I do have them all plugged into power strips read to be turned on! One of the reason I love this house so much is the 200amp service :)

When I am finished I will have over 600 square feet of space for trains. Of course the large majority will be for O gauge trains, but I have plans and space for small HO and N scale layouts as well. That is in addition to the space for storage of empty boxes, things still in the box, baseball/football cards, War Games and other things on display. This is my play pen :) Other than my work desk only a file cabinet is dedicated to my work.

You can bet your bottom dollar there will be a Christmas tree decorated, brightly lit and Christmas trains running before Santa arrives. In addition to other brightly lit Christmas decorations and lights.

I Call my taste for Christmas "a gypsy Christmas" no offense ment to anyone, as always. God loves us all equally and I would never want to offend anyone.

Willie .... Your rural scene with grian elevator looks great. It will be very nice if you can visit next time. How often do you make the trip ?

Mike .... Those black NS units do get around. I still wish the railroad decided a colorful scheme instead of black. At least CN has some red on the front end.

Good morning. Started off at 49 degrees this morning with an expected high in the mid 70's today.

Mike. Nice shot of the NW units. Garry - I have also seen NW locomotives pass through Livingston when visiting the club.

Louis - Most cops are out there trying to do their best to serve their communities. This picture is for you.

38926408_310081126250420_3955787213169491968_n.jpg

We used to have Sunday ticket on DirecTv but the prices kept increasing so we dropped it. DirecTv saw many people trying to cancel their Sunday ticket, but at first wouldn't do it but after so many requests, they backed down and let the customers cancel.

Willie - Nice photos. Keep them coming. We have a 2,000 gallon sepric tank. When we built, we had a direct load from the VA and had to meet certain standards, and with the number of proposed bedrooms and bathrooms, we had to up the capacity.

Terry - Have the CV settings you mentioned to get the NW-2 to run with the RS-1 written down and will let out DCC guru see what he can do with them. Thanks again.

Got to fly the drone for a while yesterday and am getting a bit better wit it, but still keeping it low until I get better. No crashed. Still in one piece.

20180818_150016.jpg

The wind picked up later in the day to the point where it got difficult to control. They don't advise flying drones if the winds get above 15 mph so I went down to the train room and ran trains for a while. Like the little NW-2 and it is really nice for switching. A bit slower than my other locomotives as momentum is appaently pre programmed.

Here's my rail picture for today.

photo.jpg

Later

I'm off to the parking lot campground at the Silver Sand just south of the Coronado Bridge
down in San Diego. Spousal Unit went down Friday! One day of sand, beach, and traffic will more than likely be enough for me. I had rather head for "not so crowded" places such as Terry puts up every now and then.
I have decided that I have about had as much of CA as I can take. Seriously looking at alternatives, but realize that it would just be me and the dogs!

Nice post Louis! I liked it! -- PHIL, good to see you still vertical. Keep posting, even if you don't have much to say -- Willie. great shots of your work. Glad you got the "trained" cows - funny.

Later, guys.

Those black NS units do get around. I still wish the railroad decided a colorful scheme instead of black.
I agree, the only way to see the detail on a model of one is to make it dirty, otherwise it's just a black blob. The only exception seems to have been #8114, the Heritage unit
1534721372757.png

Back