New Layout for LASM

I really like that, DAVE. The 'small office' could go this side of the road opposite the little 'out house' or whatever it is.
If your loading bin is supposed to be steel - I would make it a rusty color, but if your company has extra cash on hand ... they might paint it.
Nice work though .. the last pic really sums up the scene. I might go for the crusher/sorter route?

Dave very nice scenes as usual, and i ll repeat once more how nice the water elements look on your layout. Next (to the right) to the utility pole could be a potential spot for the small shack.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!!

I got the bin painted over the weekend, used a rattle can of primer gray and I plan on doing a little weathering, like it is a fairly new addition (which it is) and would also like to do a white and black stripe thing on the bottom 8' or so of the supports.

Sherrel: The little "out house" thing is a Woodlands Scenics:

tool shed.jpg

I will go with some sort of office or shack for lunch and record keeping, think I will scratch build a little building something simple.

ALSO want to add a sign and name the operation. The place is called Pit (believe it, named after a real town), however do not want something too korny for the industry name.

Would like to put the sign on the bin.

Jagger & Waites Stone and Gravel

I think that would be both funny and subtle.

Music fans will get it... right Santa Fe Willie?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Actually, it is a pit (or actually digging out of the side of a hill) which produces rip rap, or larger rocks used for stabilization; and also ballast. I am going to say that they are using dynamite to blast the rock of the mountain then scoop it up with the front end loader , transport it via truck to the conveyor and storage/loading bin then into the hopper cars.

However, down the road I may add a crusher (which really is only the size of a truck) so the materials can be made into aggregate for use in concrete and road construction.

Of course, I have been stockpiling names for various establishments yet to be built on my layout, some whimsical and some honoring various friends and acquaintances. I agree about not being too corny. But I do expect this to be an outlet for my own quirky humor at times...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hi Erik, neet name but a bit on the long side.

I am going to make the story that the SLC owns the pit as well as the railroad switching operation, track, and sawmill. The pit was originally opened up to provide material for the construction of the track right of way.

It coincides with my locomotive roster as well, the oldest loco's I have (steamers) have the SLCR markings on them. Rather than purchase diesels in the 50's, they made up lease agreements with Milwaukee Road, NP, GN, and CNW in exchange for track agreements, allowing them use of the SLCR track which gives them connecting service.

Maybe call it "SLC Rock"

Like to make a triangular sign maybe something like this:

asign.jpg

Here is the operation with the gray paint and elevator:

elev4 004.jpg

elev4 001.jpg

STILL need to do some light weathering and also add the zebra stripes to the legs of the elevator; get the shack made as well...

Chet, Eric; THANKS for the kudos; I did some weathering, added supports and material to the conveyor, a light and a few more trucks to the scene:

bin2 001.jpg

Also some people, wonder what they are looking at in the hopper car?

bin2 004.jpg

bin2 007.jpg

Here is another shot of my new 35' trailer, from Walthers:

bin2 010.jpg

THANKS for viewing! lasm

Very nice details Dave, I really like what you've done.
How about some rocks falling in the into the hopper car, that would be cool

David, how are you getting along with yout GML throttle. You sounded excited when you first installed it, but now that you have had it for a while, what is your verdict.

Here a photo of how I have mine installed in the facia. I had plenty of room behind the facia and I like to keep meters in line with the throttle so this is what I came up with.

IMAG0794.jpg

Back