New Layout for LASM

Dave,

Bitter sweet time for you mate. A new job and house is great, but having to take down your layout ... that has got to hurt with all the work you have put into it :(

Look on the bright side though mate, you said you were a builder rather than an operator and the layout was "done", so you have the perfect excuse now to become the "builder again" :) I really hope you do start another layout David and as Hawke said, maybe another scale to keep those great creative juices flowing.

Hi Dave

New job, Congrats
New house, Congrats
Losing a nice layout, Dissapointing

BUT, maybe a new scale such as N or even Z, it would be nice to read a thread on building a Z scale layout

Believe me, I am not disappointed at losing the layout. The fun was in the creation of it. I love to build!

I am sticking to HO and will probably do another "around the room" layout at 7' height, like the one I built a couple years ago. I really liked having those long runs that took several minutes to negotiate. I am keeping the vast majority of my rolling stock and some of my small buidings. The one thing I will do different is hand paint a hardboard backdrop (that should slow me down a little).

Dave,

Bitter sweet time for you mate. A new job and house is great, but having to take down your layout ... that has got to hurt with all the work you have put into it :(

Look on the bright side though mate, you said you were a builder rather than an operator and the layout was "done", so you have the perfect excuse now to become the "builder again" :) I really hope you do start another layout David and as Hawke said, maybe another scale to keep those great creative juices flowing.

Right on, Tony; you know me pretty well!!!

Dave,

All the best for the new job / house / move! It is a difficult but exciting and promising change. I am looking forward to seeing the new layout plans / construction pan out in the near future!

Dave,

All the best for the new job / house / move! It is a difficult but exciting and promising change. I am looking forward to seeing the new layout plans / construction pan out in the near future!

Thanks, Yannis; if anyone out there needs some large buildings; somewhere in MN or WI where travel is reasonable, I would do a trade or something. They will not ship dependably.

Like the Swift building, the Sawmill complex, the Freight building, Iron Works building, train repair and maintenance building. Check out my profile page "albums" for pictures.

Final layout video, prior to disassembly!! Also, a couple new pictures.

[video=youtube;n0_XJIQDYVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_XJIQDYVo[/video]

Workers on break:

a final view 003.jpg

Getting some cants piled, the sawmill office area:

a final view 013.jpg

THANKS for looking, Dave

Enjoyed the video. It must really hurt to have to take the layout apart, but you can possibly look forward to a new and better layout once you get situated into your new job and home. I sure hate to see such a well detailed layout demolished, but I'm sure that the next one will be a lot better with all you have learned building this one. Best of luck my friend.

Nice way to say good bye to the layout Dave . I enjoyed watching it come together as I am sure I will also enjoy the next one . On a side note what is your roadbed made up of? I ask because while I was watching the video , the sounds of the wheels seemed a bit deeper than what mine sounds like

Chet, Jim; Thanks for the comments!

The roadbed is 1/2 inch plywood and 1/4" mohogany in some places. In the grades, I filled the gap in with the natural ballast for the most part. There is no cork on the layout.

This video shows the original laying of the track. A couple sections off an old layout were used:

[video=youtube;JCTcpJ2Ffe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTcpJ2Ffe8[/video]

Thanks, Lloyd. We don't know what kind of space we will end up with, with any sort of luck I will get a longer room! I like the longer runs with some curves and a little up and down.

The one thing for sure is, it will build considerably faster. I have a lot better idea of what I am doing now as opposed to when I started the project.

Enjoyed the video. It must really hurt to have to take the layout apart, but you can possibly look forward to a new and better layout once you get situated into your new job and home. I sure hate to see such a well detailed layout demolished, but I'm sure that the next one will be a lot better with all you have learned building this one. Best of luck my friend.

Nice way to say good bye to the layout Dave . I enjoyed watching it come together as I am sure I will also enjoy the next one . On a side note what is your roadbed made up of? I ask because while I was watching the video , the sounds of the wheels seemed a bit deeper than what mine sounds like

Chet, Jim; Thanks for the comments!

The roadbed is 1/2 inch plywood and 1/4" mohogany in some places. In the grades, I filled the gap in with the natural ballast for the most part. There is no cork on the layout.

This video shows the original laying of the track. A couple sections off an old layout were used:

[video=youtube;JCTcpJ2Ffe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTcpJ2Ffe8[/video]

Couldn't agree more with the above Dave - a very fond farewell.

Hi guys, been a while since I have been on here, I have several new photos that were taken just before I dismantled the layout, I will dish them out a few at a time:

CNW freight, gravel.jpg

060.jpg

around the corner.jpg

Thanks for posting the additional photos Dave. I always enjoyed your modeling, photos and videos. A shame that the layout had to be dismantled.

Any plans on a next one yet ????

Back