My ONE and ONLY project ...

HO Scale - hell no ( :) ) this is all N Scale!

The minimum radius I am using through out the layout is 14" with the main, long sweeping curves, being closer to 16". Those radii would be around the equivalent to 26" and 30" in HO, roughly.

Getting edgy to get this layout under way so while I am still getting the room sorted out I bought the following DPM Kits to keep me busy of an evening:

UGjQhfl.jpg

x6Q2wNp.jpg

Ebi4TGj.jpg

9xI76Jp.jpg

jHmlj7P.jpg

3e6iMBd.jpg

FtJBAYP.jpg

Thanks and yeah they should. I had 90% of these in HO scale so I have a good idea of how they will fit together and look, which helps a lot with the planning. I plan on getting quite a few more though along with houses.

While were on that subject (houses) I have seen the ones I want; however, they are 1:148 th scale. There isn't too much of a difference between 1:148th and 1:160th so I am wondering how those two scales would look together. Will the difference, with the 1:148th kits being slightly bigger, be obvious do you think?

Would be nice to see two similar structures, one of each scale, side by side for comparison.

By the way, yep I know that 1:148th scale is European. It is European dwellings that I am wanting as they will fit my scenery plan much better than American dwellings.

HO Scale - hell no ( :) ) this is all N Scale!

The minimum radius I am using through out the layout is 14" with the main, long sweeping curves, being closer to 16". Those radii would be around the equivalent to 26" and 30" in HO, roughly.

Tony - I was pretty sure it would not be HO scale, but when this forum first started you mentioned you were "replacing your HO layout." So I thought you were replacing it with another HO scale layout. It probably come out somewhere in the conversation that you were in N scale, but I either forgot or missed it.

Nice looking buildings.
his is what I have in mind for the replacement of my HO layout

There was a discussion a while ago about the differences between 1:160 and 1:150 IIRC somewhere (who built the layout with metal benchwork and a automated streetcar circuit in the middle, with modern City buildings, raised AMTRAK track. Amtrak47?

Thanks and yeah they should. I had 90% of these in HO scale so I have a good idea of how they will fit together and look,
That is true but I thought your trains were Amtrak and things like SD70es.

While were on that subject (houses) I have seen the ones I want; however, they are 1:148 th scale. There isn't too much of a difference between 1:148th and 1:160th so I am wondering how those two scales would look together. Will the difference, with the 1:148th kits being slightly bigger, be obvious do you think?
Depends upon how close they are to other things in the other scale. If they are out alone somewhere I think it can be pulled off. I used to use 1:144th cars on some of my N-scale roads.

It is European dwellings that I am wanting as they will fit my scenery plan much better than American dwellings.
Not Australian dwellings?

Tony - Nice choice of buildings. I can remember photos of the ones you had on your HO layout. I have quite a few of them in HO scale on my layout along with some of the Walthers Cornerstone kits.

They are good for just about any era and the only thing I disliked about them was nearly going blind painting all of the flippin' windows. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Looking forward to watching the layout come together.

Tony - I was pretty sure it would not be HO scale, but when this forum first started you mentioned you were "replacing your HO layout." So I thought you were replacing it with another HO scale layout. It probably come out somewhere in the conversation that you were in N scale, but I either forgot or missed it.

Nice looking buildings.
his is what I have in mind for the replacement of my HO layout

Thanks and yeah I probably didn't make it clear from the outset that this layout was N Scale. I liked the DPM kits on the HO layout so hopefully they will fit in with the N Scale as well, especially as I am not modelling a particular era. The town near where I live is made up of the type of and architectural style of buildings that DPM makes, so it I think they are fitting, even with modern day equipment being run.

There was a discussion a while ago about the differences between 1:160 and 1:150 IIRC somewhere (who built the layout with metal benchwork and a automated streetcar circuit in the middle, with modern City buildings, raised AMTRAK track. Amtrak47?

Thanks mate, I'll take a look.

That is true but I thought your trains were Amtrak and things like SD70es.

Depends upon how close they are to other things in the other scale. If they are out alone somewhere I think it can be pulled off. I used to use 1:144th cars on some of my N-scale roads.

Not Australian dwellings?

Hmmm, all of my commercial buildings are going to be the DPM Kits, so the dwellings will be in fairly close proximity to them. That being the case, I may have to look else where for similar structures OR scrap the idea altogether and go with the more contemporary Australian/American dwellings.

The reason I was looking at kits that were European was not because they were European but because they were the "style of structure" I was wanting to get the sort of structure I have not seen from any US company. Basically, I am wanting this sort of dwelling look or similar:

eVSYpgG.jpg

VJiuTtV.jpg

The first pic is close to how many of the older suburbs in Melbourne Australia look as well. not that that is a concern for me.

Tony - Nice choice of buildings. I can remember photos of the ones you had on your HO layout. I have quite a few of them in HO scale on my layout along with some of the Walthers Cornerstone kits.

They are good for just about any era and the only thing I disliked about them was nearly going blind painting all of the flippin' windows. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Looking forward to watching the layout come together

Thanks Chet and your right, this style/type of structure does fit any era.

Just ordered a few more DPM Kits:

Bruce's Bakery
Char's Soda Shoppe
Cricket's Saloon
Reed's Books
Night Life Kit

I also picked up 3 bottles of MB52 Micro Bond Thin, figured I might need something to put the kits together with when they get here.

I will have 14 buildings for the town area which I think maybe enough for the moment. My only other need is a station and I haven't decided on what to get for that yet. I am in the process of building a Laser Cut Santa Fe #3 Depot which I might use for the main town or else where.

Thanks Chet and your right, this style/type of structure does fit any era.
The difference is the "store" that is inside the building. Used to be main line stores like JC Pennies, Floreshine Shoes, Neusteders, Woolworths, RX drugs, etc. were in those types of structures. Nowadays it is things like 2nd hand books, dance studio, Goodwill, etc. I think here in Great Bend the only original what I would consider 1st generation store in that type of structure down town is the Wrights Shoe store - a real shoe store where the people measure your feet and have shoes that really fit those measurements. Even our post office has vacated and moved to a more modern away from down town building. Oh the banks, seems the banks are impervious to time.

Horseman,

Absolutely agree with you. I think the only original stores that remain in my little town are a family run Chemist shop (Beavers) Barber Shop, a bar (I think) and the Post Office. 90% of the other stores have changed hands at least once in the 10 years I have been here or are empty. We do have an original Gas Station as well Sunoco. A new company but still a family owned gas station where they still come out and serve you.

Even though these kits have names attached to them, I think I will make them whatever I want to. If they come with decals, that maybe a different story and I may keep them as is. That being said, it would be nice to have some of the structures named after the couple of original stores in my town. Wonder what it would cost to get custom decals made?

This is what I want to replicate:

h9MP168.jpg

That is a picture of the main street of town where I live, or rather live near. This is the style of town I want to build.

I would say it's almost uniquely American to see those types of shop buildings now. Virtually all of that sort have gone here now. About the only ones to have been 2 level would be Bank buildings. A common verandah roof over the footpath was or still is where there are any is a feature too.

I use the DPM kits quite extensively on my HO layout. They have all of them available in N scale as well. They do replicate the look of your picture of Canisteo. Here in Texas, there are numerous cities and towns that look like that, although some are not as colorful. Since DPM did not include signs in most of the kits that I have, I have used them as all kinds of small businesses. Barber shops, tax prep offices, dance studios, pool halls, pizza joints and other small businesses on the ground floor; with doctors, lawyers and palm readers on the second floor. I find pictures of appropriate signs on the Internet and adjust the size and print them on 65# paper to make the signs that I use if I don't have one already in the "sign box".

Willie

Toot'n,

Not too many towns in Oz that are like the towns here, but that is to be expected. DPM has captured the architecture of these period buildings very nicely and is why I like them so much. I think they'll my little town justice.

Willie,

Some of the HO DPM kits came with decals, others did not. I am not overly fussed either way. If they don't come with decals then I can get custom ones made, or attempt to do as you have done, and truly replicate some of the stores in Canisteo.

I also think I "might be able" to use some of the DPM structures to create my own residential properties such as those you would see in the UK - terrace housing" on the street. That sort of housing can (or could) be seen in older Australian Suburbs, perhaps not quite as ornate though.

I placed the order for the kits on the 26th so am hoping to get them early to mid next week. It will be an experience trying to paint them though. HO Scale was a good size and easy, N Scale, I'm not so sure about.

I am going to hate myself in the morning, but not as much as my wife will ...

Just bought this for the layout:

cpFY3Ar.jpg

Bachmann, which makes me a little skeptical, 4-6-2 K4 Pacific. This will be used on my "extended" tourist line along with 4 or 5 Heavy weight Pullman cars. Haven't decided on which Pullman's I am going to get yet, manufacturer wise, so any input for them will be appreciated.

My experience with Bachmann has not been good, with any of their engines, but the reviews for this one seem to be up o scratch so hopefully this is not another Bachmann nightmare to add to the list as I really like the engine.

Maybe you have said somewhere along the line, but what software are you using for your planning? Looks good.

Thank you and I am using SCARM, the paid version as well the "addon for running the trains and "engineers view". You can use the free version BUT are limited to only 150 (from memory) pieces of track, objects etc. That was no where near enough for what I wanted to do.

I have looked at the other design programs and while they are very good, they have a much steeper learning curve than SCARM. SCARM can be used straight out of the box so to speak.

Give me ten or so minutes and I will be uploading an Engineers view (using SCARM) of the layout. Only a virtual look but gives you an idea of how it all fits together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back