My ONE and ONLY project ...

Agreed, just the best "normal primer" for plastic I can get. I might be old fashioned but I still believe preparation is 90% of the end result - more or less.

With any spray painting,90% of the work is in the prep, once you've got some practice under the belt, the spraying is the quick and easy bit. The prep however only marginally improves by comparison. It's just work.

Wash with dishsoap, trim/sand imperfections and give it a spray and your good to go , same thing with the little pieces.

Just about ya. :p

You know something ... that I believe ;)

However, talk as you might ... here is what (or something like) the layout is going to look like, more or less.

DKnVHrJ.jpg

jfS18xZ.jpg

Two main towns
Trackside Transfer Depot (top right corner)

And the rest is self explanatory me thinks.

Thanks Chet and am hoping to get started on it soon, very soon; however, last night our pellet stove "poo'd the bed" so am right now waiting on someone to come, look at it and then tell me how much it will cost to repair - if it is repairable. If not, I'm looking at around $4000 for a new one and guess where that money is coming from ....

On a more positive note, I at least have 90% of what I need to start the build. All I am missing is some 1 X 4's and the ply. Kinda hard to start much without that though.

These arrived this morning so I'll have something to keep me busy for awhile:

WiTtJ5g.jpg

iaCRiy3.jpg

ZtLEd25.jpg

cJHsxkN.jpg

X9tknjw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking selection there. Do you remember back about 6-7 years ago when I was in the hobby before, there was someone that made buildings from plaster? I can't remember who that was.
Hope the stove just needs a repair part. I had a similar situation last week. I was ready to order all my track, then had to go see the dentist, now I have a $2500 dental bill to pay off, and don't want to put anything on the CC until it is paid off. I have the cash, but no where within reasonable driving distance to buy it.
Good news is, I found a power supply for my DCC today, so now I can be re acquainting myself with that.

Thanks mate and sorry but no I don;'t recall that. I imagine making buildings from plaster would be doable BUT a heck of a lot of work I'd say. Nowadays, with bass wood and styrene pre fabricated/molded parts, I think it would be easier to scratch build using them.

I am waiting for another 7 kits to arrive but already know I am going to need another I don't know how many if I am to create the towns I would like to. I also know my limitations, even with HO scale, so some of those "needed structures" like a gas station for example are going to be the built ups.

So far as the stove goes, well - our service guy turned up, heard the problem saw the auger motor running, the auger turning and pellets disappearing from the hopper - just not going into the burn pot. He shrugged, then did everything I did last night and I'll be buggered, the thing started dropping pellets again. The real issue now is that neither he nor I know why what happened occurred. From my perspective I have an unreliable pellet stove so a new one in is the near future, although not an immediate necessity. Don't know what the bill is yet but I know it wont stop me from getting the wood and ply I need to start, and THAT is a good thing. All I can add to that is I'm glad I don't have your bill.

Glad you got your DCC power supply too. You'll have fun (or frustration) playing with it ;)

So far as the stove goes, well - our service guy turned up, heard the problem saw the auger motor running, the auger turning and pellets disappearing from the hopper - just not going into the burn pot. He shrugged, then did everything I did last night and I'll be buggered, the thing started dropping pellets again. The real issue now is that neither he nor I know why what happened occurred. From my perspective I have an unreliable pellet stove so a new one in is the near future, although not an immediate necessity.
Is it a single auger stove or a double? I had to replace the motor of the lower auger a couple years ago. The top auger was trying to cram the pellets to the lower which wasn't taking them, just making dust. It was $150 or so including overnight shipping. We used a kerosene stove as a back up in the mean time.

Horseman,

Single auger with everything working as it should in terms of the motor and auger itself - just don't know where the pellets were going. The stove is about 6 or 7 years old so I am not going to risk what ever the problem was reoccurring. Have made the decision to get another stove, probably a Harmon P61. Hopefully that will last us out.

Now I am getting excited. I have just received my Micro Trains heavy weight Pullman Sleeper, Micro Trains Heavy weight Pullman 5 Car set, the Bachmann K4 and the paint for them. Pictures to follow.

These Micro Train cars are "huge", averaging 6.5" in length, will take 39" of track (including the K4) and look brilliant. Well worth the money spent for them.

The Bachmann K4 Pacific also looks first class. I honestly hope this runs as "good" as it looks as it is a beautiful, very detailed engine.

This looks like a lot of good stuff. :) Does Bachmann's DCC engines run with any DCC command controls, or do they have their own DCC that you need?

This looks like a lot of good stuff. :) Does Bachmann's DCC engines run with any DCC command controls, or do they have their own DCC that you need?

That engine comes equipped with a Soundtraxx Sound Value decoder so it is DCC system friendly. In other words, you can use any common DCC system with it.

Back