My ONE and ONLY project ...

Chet and Lynn,

As Horseman said, I can run 4 trains independent of each other without the stress of any of them hitting any other so long as I leave them on their own track to do their own thing. The only way there would b a chance of any train running into any other is if I chose to change tracks. In that case, I would be keeping a very close eye on them and be a lot more involved with what is going on.

A little more work on the Track Plan ... I think (am pretty sure) this is what will happen:

F0P9uQ6.jpg

Added a "long passing track (green)" and inserted turnouts connecting the "passenger line with the freight line" at the front of the layout. Am thinking this will give me some work to do if I chose to.

For what it is worth, I NOW believe this is the final plan:

35UOALR.jpg

I can now move any train from any track to any other track, I think. This will give me more interaction with the layout if I choose to OR can run 4 trains without supervision so to speak.

It's worth a lot Tony, I won't sugar coat it, I don't care for it but, I do appreciate whatever you settle on. And just between you and me I tore down my last layout because I felt underpressure by others ( not in here ) to do things. Do your own thing and do what you feel is right.

By the way Tony have you given thought to what you will do with the area where the track will cross the other rails? I've been there and its a super big head ache but can be done.

It's worth a lot Tony, I won't sugar coat it, I don't care for it but, I do appreciate whatever you settle on. And just between you and me I tore down my last layout because I felt underpressure by others ( not in here ) to do things. Do your own thing and do what you feel is right.

You hit the nail on the head Lynn, do my own thing and what feels right, and that is exactly what I am doing. I also appreciate your honesty and know your not a "double rack fan" but it really is "each to their own". Believe me, I don't post things to get acceptance of what I have posted. I post things to get opinions on things that might be wrong with that something. A good example was when it was pointed out that I had a reversing section in one of the plans - something I didn't realize and was grateful for that being pointed out.

Y' bet'ta not invite Terry over for'an Op, he'll wan'na do an alt'a Ego on it.

Terry can come over and play - wouldn't other me in the least, alt'a ego or not after all, isn't that why "play with trains" to for fill an alto ego of some type :)

By the way Tony have you given thought to what you will do with the area where the track will cross the other rails? I've been there and its a super big head ache but can be done.

Maybe this will help answer your question:

IAh8jgf.jpg

Okay then, have ordered everything (track wise) for the layout and it will be here this Friday. The one hold up (a 6' wide computer desk) will be out of the room this Sunday so "fun time" WILL begin on the layout this coming Monday!!!

Lynn,

No .. maybe that was a bad image to show you. The tracks will cross one another via a bridge or through a tunnel, mostly tunnels at this point.

3R3s5zc.jpg

Oh good , good opportunity for some mountains and
gullys as well as some meandering rivers. GRIN

Lynn,

Correct mate and that is what is going through my mind as I continue to "refine" this thing. Basically, the right side are the mountains, valley's and rivers etc. The center and left side is going to be town/city focused, more or less anyway.

So now you have become comfortable with the plan - it's CHANGED! Sorry guys but I think (I really do this time) this is the one:

XnQBTwQ.jpg

A few things prompted this change:

1. Horseman reminding me (a little while back) that layouts where the track parallels the bench work is boring or mundane.
2. I always wanted to "split the layout in half" so to speak to offer two distinct area's for specific sceneries.
3. The previous version (what was it - Version 3857730Ab36?) seemed too open and deprived me of the flexibility with scenery.

I think this plan retains the track plan but is more interesting and organizes the layout without "pigeon holing" things.

My scenery thoughts for the layout:

X5yUhKw.jpg

Oh, should add here that my Hatton's order from last Monday - it arrived today so looks like construction may now begin a little sooner than this Monday :)

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY cool track plan and I've seen your scenery, it's going to be great! I also run 4 line main and have no stress other than making sure the switches stay the way they are supposed to. LOL Everybody runs along just fine...when everything is fine as you all know what I mean stuff happens even on the most well laid and "broken in" lines!

Thanks for sharing, the scenery pics are looked forward to eagerly!

Back